Freedom

Fantasma

So today I quit my job, my 40k a year job that had great room for advancement. The job that ate me me up everyday and killed my health mentally and phsyically.

I'm free, free to get a good job. Free to go to college after, and with val hoping to get me set up for uber/lyft, I have the potential of having a job I would absolutely love.

I'm free to live, to be alive. Maybe I'll apply for disability.

I don't know, it doesn't matter, because the world is alight with future for me like it never has been or I have never been able to see.

• Like 3

To do what you did takes a lot of courage. It shows immense strength. I applaud you for doing what you knew was best for you even if it meant taking a leap into the unknown. I wish you nothing but the absolute best for your future and that you succeed in your goals and aspiration. Go out there and kick some ass!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johanna Waya said:

So today I quit my job, my 40k a year job that had great room for advancement. The job that ate me me up everyday and killed my health mentally and phsyically.

I'm free, free to get a good job. Free to go to college after, and with val hoping to get me set up for uber/lyft, I have the potential of having a job I would absolutely love.

I'm free to live, to be alive. Maybe I'll apply for disability.

I don't know, it doesn't matter, because the world is alight with future for me like it never has been or I have never been able to see.

So... You had no new job lined up, you quit your job meaning you don't get unemployment benefits (At least that's the way it works here), you've lost any benefits you may have had (Or you didn't have those) and your plan is 'Maybe Uber or Disability'.

...Congratulations on voluntarily sliding down the economic ladder. O.o

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So... You had no new job lined up, you quit your job meaning you don't get unemployment benefits (At least that's the way it works here), you've lost any benefits you may have had (Or you didn't have those) and your plan is 'Maybe Uber or Disability'.

Well aren't you cheerful?

45 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

If a job is causing you so much mental and physical distress that you have to quit it and leap into the unknown, then you literally have no option. You have to prioritize and ensure that your mental and physical health are kept in check. I learned that the hard way in college on several occasions. I have a friend who graduated recently and went to teach French at the high school level. She literally broke down crying on multiple occasions and even more times at home because the job was causing her that much distress. After a semester and a half, without any backup job, she quit, because it was going to break her. Please be more considerate when questioning people's actions, because by imposing your own understanding of the world and current situation onto others, it's an entirely unfair comparison and extremely disrespectful. Because, unless you're close friends or family, you've got no idea what that person is suffering or enduring.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's called 'being an adult'. 

And no it's not called being an adult, it's called watching out for oneself to ensure you'll be around for tomorrow.

• Like 1

tbh I didnt like the situation much either and wished it couldve been handled differently,

However, keep in mind this is the same person that posted about almost commiting suicide not long ago.

I would have wished the options were taken in better steps, but the immediate option was imminent death, really.

It sucks but it means there's a lot of hard work involved in turning a fresh page and getting a new outlook on things, primarily for the better

• Like 2

@AshleyAshes

Yep, I'll be slid back down to $10 an hour at most, economically. 

To be honest quitting my current job was my last resort to improving my life, we'll see how that goes.

Edit:

Well fuck, I just realized... I'm never going to get hired at the hospital like I hoped. At best I can get a dead end job nearby..... and feel just as bad for less money?

I don't qualify for disability.

Guess suicide is coming back to the top of the list, cause I'm a fucking idiot.

Disability, especially with prior work history, is a lengthy ass process and sometimes takes hiring a lawyer to accomplish. It also pays jack and shit.

Minwage, on average (according to what I just looked up, so take that as you will), pays around $1150/mo.
On disability, I get around $780/mo.
Minwage is around 1.5x the amount of income I get.

It's not really an out to being dissatisfied with a job you dislike. It's not even a substitute to unemployment.
It's a means of survival.

Uber / Lyft, as far as I understand, is also just a more modern taxi service.

It's important to watch out for your mental health, and to take measures to preserve that, but I'd strongly suggest against setting either of those two things as your end goal.

13 minutes ago, Vae said:

Disability, especially with prior work history, is a lengthy ass process and sometimes takes hiring a lawyer to accomplish. It also pays jack and shit.

Minwage, on average (according to what I just looked up, so take that as you will), pays around $1150/mo.
On disability, I get around $780/mo.
Minwage is around 1.5x the amount of income I get.

It's not really an out to being dissatisfied with a job you dislike. It's not even a substitute to unemployment.
It's a means of survival.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to demean you by applying for it. I bet I don't even qualify.

I just, any work I've ever done in my life I have quit because it felt like it was eating me up on the inside and the stress and fatigue and just everything was so much I felt like vomiting and I was failing and it drove me deep into addictions and depression and made every day be absolutely awful.

I'm just defective, I can't even do the basic work others do. I've lost 2 jobs, quit 3, and these were really good things for the most part.

Maybe I'm just lazy, it's what everyone else seems to think.... I just... I don't want to feel like I'm dying every day. At that point I might aswell be dead just to stop the pain.

Minimum wage varies a lot by state...in some counties here in Maryland, it's now $10.75/Hr, or about $1,720/mo, less taxes (based on 4 weeks, 40 hours)

But in some states, it's really low, as in $7.25/hr, or about $1,160/mo, less taxes.

Well, hope you find something above these levels...there's a good number of retail places here that start people at $12-13/hr, so it's not so hopeless.

Good luck, here!

• Like 2

Discussing your prospects with an advisor sounds like a good idea. That won't be a problem in Tulsa, either.

35 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

I'm just defective, I can't even do the basic work others do. I've lost 2 jobs, quit 3, and these were really good things for the most part.

Maybe I'm just lazy, it's what everyone else seems to think.... I just... I don't want to feel like I'm dying every day. At that point I might aswell be dead just to stop the pain.

Knock that off. That is way too easy an excuse, and wrong to boot. You can do the work others do because you were doing it. If you're going to dwell, see if you can identify exactly what it is that is eating you up, and focus on conquering that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jtrekkie said:

Discussing your prospects with an advisor sounds like a good idea. That won't be a problem in Tulsa, either.

Knock that off. That is way too easy an excuse, and wrong to boot. You can do the work others do because you were doing it. If you're going to dwell, see if you can identify exactly what it is that is eating you up, and focus on conquering that.

@Johanna Waya

Your problem isnt youre lazy, and it isnt that you cant work hard, and it isnt that you cant be happy in a job, whatever it may be. Your problem is you go into a job expecting to be there day in/day out and not ever accomplish anything else, to find something in the future goals by searching for it.

I dont have as much of an issue with you quitting as much as your defeatist attitude of not trying to move forward. Its not the be all/end all. You CAN move up. Your problem is you self gratify yourself at the first chance you can, never willing to wait to move up. 

You've accomplished a lot already and REFUSE to acknowledge it. You gave Chris a home when he didnt have it, and he wouldnt have one if it werent for us. If you werent there, we wouldnt make it to stand on our own.

I cant understand what its like entirely to be you in those day to day situations, but I do try, and I do listen. I wouldnt have stuck around and tried to understand if I didnt listen...

Wouldnt normally post these lengthy discussions out there for others rather than in person but if youre going to say these things it might be helpful for others to understand and try telling you the same things I can try telling you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm of the personal opinion that paying the rent and having food are rather critical to that whole 'Tomorrow' thing.

Sure, but if your physical health and mental health have broken down to a point where you're feeling physical suffering then those go a bit further up on the priority list to ensuring Tomorrow. Also note that it'd be discussed they'd contemplated suicide in the past. I'm fairly certain that by committing suicide paying rent and food won't really contribute to the whole "tomorrow" thing. It's about priorities. Money is important, but for the immediate short term, that can be dealt with later. An individuals mental and physical health come first, because without those, you won't be able to get money to pay for those things anyway.

10 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's called 'being an adult'. 

OP is suicidal FYI.

But I'm glad you got to say what you got to say. You got to be right without actually having a plan and some insight for OP. Super cool and neat! Maybe now you can tell them about your pointless "important" role is of making Migraine inducing 3d versions of perfectly good films and pretend like what you do is anything worthy of a anything higher than a sarcastic "Uh cool I guess" remark from the general populous.

@Johanna Waya  Honestly, jumping ship is a make and break move. Last resort, yah, but sometimes relieving the pressure that would result in an explosion is sometimes the more important thing atm. I'd look into a bandage job for the time being. Maybe something part time if you can afford it. Hang in there amigo.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Maybe now you can tell them about your pointless "important" role is of making Migraine inducing 3d versions of perfectly good films and pretend like what you do is anything worthy of a anything higher than a sarcastic "Uh cool I guess" remark from the general populous.

Of course it's important.  It makes your movie tickets $3 more expensive.

@Johanna WayaFind something you like enough to do for a living and do that, speaking with a careers advisor as mentioned by Saxon is a good start.

It's also possible that the jobs / "surrogate activities" that are commonly done in society are even less fulfilling for you than most people.

If that's the case I'm afraid you're out of luck; you'll just have to find something that's as easy as possible and makes as much money as possible for the amount of effort put in and find other ways of fulfillment outside of work.

Here's more info on surrogate activities in industrial society:

http://wildism.org/docs/tk-isaif.html#_the_power_process

43 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Maybe now you can tell them about your pointless "important" role is of making Migraine inducing 3d versions of perfectly good films and pretend like what you do is anything worthy of a anything higher than a sarcastic "Uh cool I guess" remark from the general populous.

Lets not forget the important role of entertainment in modern society:

"The entertainment industry serves as an important psychological tool of the system, possibly even when it is dishing out large amounts of sex and violence. Entertainment provides modern man with an essential means of escape. While absorbed in television, videos, etc., he can forget stress, anxiety, frustration, dissatisfaction."

http://wildism.org/docs/tk-isaif.html#_control_of_human_behavior

Yay, I seem to be on point with citations today ^_^

1 hour ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Lets not forget the important role of entertainment in modern society:

"The entertainment industry serves as an important psychological tool of the system, possibly even when it is dishing out large amounts of sex and violence. Entertainment provides modern man with an essential means of escape. While absorbed in television, videos, etc., he can forget stress, anxiety, frustration, dissatisfaction."

http://wildism.org/docs/tk-isaif.html#_control_of_human_behavior

Yay, I seem to be on point with citations today ^_^

You missed the point of what I said in my post entirely, but have a Raichu comic.b626efc4f65daad2f01890d7e513f1dc.jpg

• Like 2