I don't understand Complacency.

FlynnCoyote

I work in a field where double checking things is supposed to come naturally, to prevent mistakes and having to do jobs twice. As a result, that habit has bled out into everything I do. I double check that I have my keys each morning rather than just assuming Ive put them in my pocket on my way out. I double check that my car is locked when I park it at the mall rather than just letting my habit of locking it as I close the door be enough. Seriously. I double check everything I do that could require double checking.

As a result these last few years I tend to be pretty aware of my actions and surroundings at any given time. I've never had a workplace accident other than minor things of no consequence. I've never caused a car accident. I've never forgotten anything important for work or pre-planned leisure activities.

So when people around me do things without double checking, it boggles my mind. If I see them do so, it puts my mind at ease but if they don't, it gnaws at me subconsciously until I become aware of the fact and ask them something like "Did you lock your front door?" And then whatever surety they had disappears and they start wondering themselves. Other times I get looked at as if I'm stupid, especially if I was right there watching when they did whatever it was but they didn;t double check, so in my mind it isn't a sure thing. I've never given this any real thought, but it has been suggested by one friend that I may have some kind of compulsive disorder. Personally I think it's just a developed habit, but I wanted to ask if anyone here gets a similar feeling?

6 minutes ago, FlynnCoyote said:

At work, if the juniors fuck up I'm the one fixing that shit, that's why.

Anywhere else, I don't know. It just gnaws at me.

this is the kind of thing that definitely has its place, but when it reaches the point where you're bothered when people don't double check shit what wouldn't affect you anyway, you may have a problem.  it's good to be safe.  less good to be totally anal about things that don't matter much.  i would try to keep that in check and remind myself whenever i was getting bothered over minor instances

30 minutes ago, FlynnCoyote said:

I work in a field where double checking things is supposed to come naturally, to prevent mistakes and having to do jobs twice. As a result, that habit has bled out into everything I do. I double check that I have my keys each morning rather than just assuming Ive put them in my pocket on my way out. I double check that my car is locked when I park it at the mall rather than just letting my habit of locking it as I close the door be enough. Seriously. I double check everything I do that could require double checking.

As a result these last few years I tend to be pretty aware of my actions and surroundings at any given time. I've never had a workplace accident other than minor things of no consequence. I've never caused a car accident. I've never forgotten anything important for work or pre-planned leisure activities.

So when people around me do things without double checking, it boggles my mind. If I see them do so, it puts my mind at ease but if they don't, it gnaws at me subconsciously until I become aware of the fact and ask them something like "Did you lock your front door?" And then whatever surety they had disappears and they start wondering themselves. Other times I get looked at as if I'm stupid, especially if I was right there watching when they did whatever it was but they didn;t double check, so in my mind it isn't a sure thing. I've never given this any real thought, but it has been suggested by one friend that I may have some kind of compulsive disorder. Personally I think it's just a developed habit, but I wanted to ask if anyone here gets a similar feeling?

More than anything, the question becomes, how much is this really effecting your daily life. Do you yourself have a problem with double checking things? If not then that's fine. But is it bothering others and playing a role in your relationships with others? If so then there might be an issue developing. Maybe it doesn't need treatment just yet (it's not sounding like it's caused anyone to stop being friends with you), but if others are noticing it so much to a point they suggest this, it's indicative that it's something in the works. I'd say keep a close eye on it, and see if people begin acting substantially different when you recommend double checking. If you notice that, then it's grown into something bigger that's affecting your relationships. I only say all this because small things like this have the potential to grow into much bigger problems if left unchecked. I'm not saying it'll happen to you, or that you're even close to that stage, but it's something I'd keep in mind. 

All that said, I'd say though if it does become a problem so much so that it begins affecting your relationships with others, don't deny yourself the help and reach out. I denied getting help for various emotional issues I've had until my junior year of college when they came to a diagnosis of Bipolar II. I'd wish I'd done it sooner and got help sooner because it might have saved me a lot of grief and stress early on in life. That's a stretch for a comparison, but the underlying principal is still applicable. I hope that helped!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FlynnCoyote said:

They are weak and undisciplined.

Depends, they might be hard workers and have their own working strategies. Maybe theyre still learning and regularly make mistakes, as it does take awhile to internalize good habits, in which case regular reminders dont hurt. What matters is they actually do care, however they may handle the situation. If it shows they dont give a fuck then theyre truly weak and undisciplined.

You're not wrong, and people could benefit from double checking, but it would be useful to help them along the process of their work strategies if that's the case. Some people arent necessarily stupid or weak, lord knows I make mistakes all the damn time.

In fact reading your thread reminded me that it would be a good habit to get into to double check, especially in the career field I would want to get into. The way I am I try not to keep making mistakes and that strategy certainly would be useful to avert the potential for them.

• Like 1