I can't get drunk anymore

FlynnCoyote

Or at least, not easily. Used to be a time where a six pack was enough to get me nice and buzzing. Then it was a six pack and a half. Last New Years I was over a full case plus a couple shots and still on my legs. Don't panic, I made sure I stayed well hydrated among all that with water but even so, I would have expected more than a slight buzz after that many drinks. The last time I got really jelly legged word slurringly shit faced was at a friend's buck's night two years back, but that was mostly on mixed drinks with hard liquor, I mean the really good stuff that has to be imported from places with names I can't spell or pronounce.

Today was a dull day and I've been in a sombre mood all night. But I am a happy drunk, so I figured hey how about some drinks while chatting with buddies over skype about the fun stuff. I'm honestly not a fan of the hard liquor unless I'm already buzzing. Beer is my alcohol of choice but it just doesn't seem to do anything anymore.

I dunno if there's a solution, I just wanted to relax on some happy juice. But it seems the happy is going to require more effort than it used to, which defeats the purpose of relaxing happy juice to begin with. Fuck tonight.

Mix it with whisky, it taste like a really strong beer, or go for a hand-made pint, those which are made of 10-12% alcohol, and drink many.

Though, I don't get drunk alone, I prefer marijuana for that matter all the way, and 1 joint of good weed is more than enough to leave you all nice and sedated

I dont like drinks and will typically go for good tasting drinks, I like ciders and hard lemonades and the like. These are very weak so its hit or miss if I get buzzed on it, depending on my energy or food intake I guess.

Though Im pretty much a lightweight so last time I party drank three hard drinks got me tipsy off my ass, lmao

I tend to prefer a decent wine, as I used to work in the wine business, as a Sommelier/wine buyer for maybe 5 years, and I love all the variety there is. Plus, the alcohol content is just right; generally between about 12%; maybe as high as 14%, in a very ripe vintage. And it seems to give a more cheerful, emotional buzz. I tends towards reds in the cool months, and whites in the summer; I have no real preference, just depends on weather, food, my mood. If wine seems too dry, try a French white wine called Vouvray, which is a region...very nice balance here with sweetness, followed by a counterbalancing finish. The grape used is Chenin Blanc. You might also like Rieslings; from the Alsace region of France, and there are of course many from Germany. And you can find good examples of these in the $10-20/bottle range.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Though Im pretty much a lightweight so last time I party drank three hard drinks got me tipsy off my ass, lmao

Sounds just like the one time I tried real drinking. A beer, some cinnamon liquor, and a rum-and-coke. At that point things were getting dizzy so I stopped.

• Like 1

Also: I've found that while a few drinks makes me giddy, a few more makes me start to get sad, and a few more leads to very dark, unpredictable, hopless moods; not violent, but moods where I might hurt myself. So I have been trying to limit drinking, as it tends to also make me depressed the next day.

1 hour ago, Wrecker said:

Beer's more for drinking all night long with a few friends IMO. If you get a good tolerance for it, it's not hard to put away 15+ in a night.

If you just wanna get drunk, you're going to have to jump into some hard liquor lol.

This is what I was afraid of, but sadly it seems this is now my reality. I guess I'm gonna have to get accustomed to drinking scotch more often.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

My dad let me taste his beer a couple times. I'm not entirely sold on the taste.

I also see no point in getting absolutely smashed. That's how regrettable decisions are made.

I don't know if booze is really for me.

That's why only occasionally do I go all out, and only with friends I implicitly trust, and only in a venue I know I won;t have to travel home from in a hurry. I've actually never been drunk enough to fear for my own health. I love the buzz, and sharing it with company just makes it better. It's about bonding, the thing you're describing is what poor losers with lack of self control indulge in, and that's not what I or this thread was about.

12 hours ago, Cross said:

Mix it with whisky, it taste like a really strong beer, or go for a hand-made pint, those which are made of 10-12% alcohol, and drink many.

Though, I don't get drunk alone, I prefer marijuana for that matter all the way, and 1 joint of good weed is more than enough to leave you all nice and sedated

I don't want a strong beer, I want an easy to drink beer. And weed, honestly I can;t stand the stuff.

22 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

My dad let me taste his beer a couple times. I'm not entirely sold on the taste.

I also see no point in getting absolutely smashed. That's how regrettable decisions are made.

Appreciation of beer comes with time. At 18 the only thing I wouldn't find horrible was the 3% Canadian 67.

Today I'm very fond of more tasty beers, especially red and brown beers. I'll never decline one of these:

AK_RAA_2012_BotPint_R1.jpg?itok=zA3ZD_Jh

With that being said even though alcohol gives me the spins very quickly (which I really hate) I genuinely enjoy having a beer to relax (and appreciate its taste as well). If you do too we should get along pretty well. X3

On 15/12/2016 at 6:07 AM, LazerMaster5 said:

It's definitely something you'd have to try to see if you like it.

I like getting drunk because I actually have self-control and can very easily have a good time, but any day of the week I'd rather stay home, get stoned and just chill out and watch a movie or play some video games. I get much more enjoyment out of that than going out drinking tbh

@LazerMaster5

For alot of people it's a chemical way to get out of their shell.

I know for me, personally as a person who suffers from PTSD, it's just about the only way I can let go of control and just feel intimacy again. Even then I just...... can't quite do it. I remember what intimacy used to be like, should be like, but it's not that way anymore and booze makes me feel almost normal again if just for a moment.......

I would say LSD helped with that but to be honest it made me alot more insane and I would only recommend it to sane people.

11 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Have you considered trying real ales? Those actually taste of something interesting each time, most of the lager here tastes like barely beery water.

Yes, but the trouble is you only ever find a few or sometimes even just the one that you ever really consider a favourite. And they're not always easy to get a hold of.

I drink beer casually if I go to a pub with some friends, or maybe with a meal, but I don't like drinking beer specifically to get drunk. It makes me feel all bloated and weird if I drink like 5 or so to get drunk. Vodka is my personal go-to if I want to get wasted.