Laborious religious arguments thread

Saxon

4 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Two point five seconds. 2.5. The first four results on google for the subject were all articles you could have linked. In the time it took for you to write that last paragraph, you could have went to 'let me google that for you', gotten the link back, linked it here and followed up with a smug emoticon, and I still would have given you a like and conceded the point on the matter. Two point five seconds of you taking this at least minimally seriously, instead of trying to push fundie-christian anger-buttons on the godless agnostic.

This is what more people need to do. Actually research opposing viewpoints for themselves. I am genuinely happy after reading this. :D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Saxon said:

It is a matter of perspective. I remember back in the good old days though, when Clerics like Malthus used to claim that famine and disease was 'God's divine form of population control'.

I once stopped to debate religion with a street preacher - a rare preacher who was willing to engage with the audience rather than just berating them for an assumedly sinful life - and asked the simple question "If god is entirely benevolent, why do young children die of cancer?" He replied "To give everyone else an opportunity to demonstrate how good they are."

I'm not making this up, I just hope to goodness that this is an isolated opinion from a desperate dogmatic who can't see the issue, because I find that attitude horrible. According to this guy, god is the kind of person that will slowly torture an innocent kid to death with a horrific medical condition just so that everyone else can be nice to them and show what jolly good Christians they are. That's kinda like hanging an innocent person in the hope that it will discourage real criminals.

3 hours ago, Faust said:

I once stopped to debate religion with a street preacher - a rare preacher who was willing to engage with the audience rather than just berating them for an assumedly sinful life - and asked the simple question "If god is entirely benevolent, why do young children die of cancer?" He replied "To give everyone else an opportunity to demonstrate how good they are."

I'm not making this up, I just hope to goodness that this is an isolated opinion from a desperate dogmatic who can't see the issue, because I find that attitude horrible. According to this guy, god is the kind of person that will slowly torture an innocent kid to death with a horrific medical condition just so that everyone else can be nice to them and show what jolly good Christians they are. That's kinda like hanging an innocent person in the hope that it will discourage real criminals.

My parents have come across similar people, so I don't think it's an isolated case.
My sister is profoundly disabled, and somebody thought it was appropriate to tell my parents that God made her that way on purpose in order to test them.
As if, if there were a god, that they would be a capricious entity hell-bent on testing the moral responses of humans to devastating suffering.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

As if, if there were a god, that they would be a capricious entity hell-bent on testing the moral responses of humans to devastating suffering.

Yeah, I mean it's not like an all-loving parental type deity is going to kill a nice guy's family, destroy his house and livelihood and cover him in painful unpleasant skin diseases just because of a bet he had with the devil.

*** Reads the Book of Job ***

...Well, shit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faust said:

Yeah, I mean it's not like an all-loving parental type deity is going to kill a nice guy's family, destroy his house and livelihood and cover him in painful unpleasant skin diseases just because of a bet he had with the devil.

*** Reads the Book of Job ***

...Well, shit.

The book of Mormon the musical has an interesting song on the problem of evil

...extremely offensive language, do not listen to it around your grandma.

• Like 2