D&D/Pathfinder

Newt

For anyone who is interested but hasn't yet commented, hold off for a bit. The group is full for the moment.

NEXT SESSION: (1/25) Wednesday @ 8pm EST

What we'll use to communicate: https://discordapp.com/

What we'll use for maps: https://roll20.net/

Where you can make your character sheets: http://www.myth-weavers.com/

Rulebooks: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Message me if you have any questions!

CAMPAIGN INFO:

You start in RHAMES, a human kingdom. Rhames is the largest and most racially diverse nation in the western hemisphere. It shares a continent with Igrvau (a dwarven kingdom) and Erethor (a high-elven magocracy). A short sail south leads to the island nations of Iros (human theocracy).

Some info about the surrounding nations and their relationships with Rhames:

IROS: Ruled by a grand cleric, CASIUS ORTO, Iros is a nation with a strong human majority. The appointed grand cleric holds total power over the country and models it according to religious values/ideals. Unlike Rhames, Irosians believe in a singular god; all others are false idols, and those who worship them are heretics. Much to the ire of the citizens of Rhames, Iros commonly sends missionaries over to spread their religion. Influence has grown particularly strong in the Tahani region. Despite the general belief that Irosians are empirical zealots, trade remains strong between the nations.

ERETHOR: Ruled by an arch-wizard (QUELYN ATACIA) who gained control of the country by demonstrating high intelligence and magical ability. Many have tried to seize control of Erethor from Queen Atacia, but all have failed. Non-magic users are generally viewed as lesser folk and thus make up most of the peasant population. Erethor generally eschews trade in favor of self-sustainability. They are largely non-religious and favor the arcane over the divine. The people of Rhames view Erethor and the high elves who rule it as oppressive, pompous and untrustworthy. The magocracy plays a large part in the general wariness of magic in Rhames.

IGRVAU: Dwarven kingdom ruled by BRENOR STORMHAND. Relations between Igrvau and Rhames are relatively strong. The nation tends to keep to itself and avoid conflict. Because of their reclusive nature, some citizens of Igrvau have developed a distrust of foreigners and non-dwarves. Even so, trade is common between the nations, and Igrvau is generally looked upon favorably. They share some gods with Rhames' pantheon.

RHAMES DEMOGRAPHICS

Rhames prides itself in its cultural and racial diversity.

50% Human

14% Halfling

13% Elf

11% Dwarf

4% Gnome

4% Half Elf

2% Half Orc

2% Other

OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES

Years ago, the desert region of Rhames was a different nation altogether, TAHANANIN. However, the country was conquered in order to claim the riches they held. Many Tahani descendants still hold resentment toward the kingdom and its citizens.

The King of Rhames, Evander Carthwright, is thought to be a very wise and fair man by his subjects. Like many citizens of Rhames, he is wary of magic and the Irosian missionaries being sent into the country. His effort to communicate regularly and openly with the leaders of the other nations has met with varying success.

Rhames is also the most geographically diverse nation in the western hemisphere.

THE PANTHEON OF RHAMES

This does not yet include the evil-aligned gods in the pantheon. In addition, this includes only basic information.

Name

Domains

Symbol

Common followers

Alignment

Aranon

Sun, Nobility, Fire, Good, Law

3 golden lines: one straight and 2 slanted on opposite sides

Nobles, Humans, Knights

Lawful Good

Elsaphine (The Blessed Mother)

Healing, Protection, Good, Community

A flowering, red poppy

Humans, Halflings, Clerics, Alchemists

Neutral Good

Falnim (God of the Road)

Travel, Community, Luck, Protection

Three gold pieces

Travelers, Merchants, Halflings, Gnomes, Bards

Chaotic Good

Gennen (The Shadow)

Darkness, Charm, Trickery

A silhouette of a straight-standing man

Thieves, Assassins, Spies

Chaotic Neutral

Haldrik (God of the Mountain)

Artifice, Earth, Nobility, Strength

A hammer inside a triangle

Dwarves, Fighters, Blacksmiths

Lawful Good

Kldoksh (The Shiftless One)

Chaos, Madness, Liberation, Luck

A slug coiled into a circle

(rarely worshiped)

Chaotic Neutral

Neyara (The White Dolphin)

Water, Weather, Travel, Good, Protection

A white dolphin

Sailors, Fishermen

Neutral Good

Raesalied (The Wild God)

Weather, Air, Chaos

A bolt of lightning

Druids, Elves

Chaotic Neutral

Silandra (The All-Knowing Goddess)

Rune, Knowledge, Magic

An eye-shaped sun

Mages, Scholars, Elves

Lawful Neutral

Sonius (The Hero God)

Glory, Good, War, Liberation

A sword splitting a chain

Humans, Paladins, Knights

Lawful Good

T'arthen

Strength, War, Community

An upside down T with a line through the center

Fighters, Barbarians, Half-Orcs

Chaotic Good

The Drowned Man

Repose, Death, Darkness, Water

A black hand emerging from an oval

(rarely worshiped)

Neutral

The Keeper

Plant, Animal, Earth, Water

A hand holding a sapling

Druids, Rangers, Gnomes, Elves

Neutral

Voln (God of Judgment)

Law

An iron mask with a neutral expression

Judges, Paladins

Lawful Neutral

If you have any specific questions about the setting, feel free to ask!

RhamesMap.png

^ Not every settlement and point of interest is listed here. You'll have to find the others yourselves :V

WorldMap.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kosha said:

I'll take any day except Sunday or Saturday.

Would you allow us to play as joke-y characters?

I'd like to have y'all run your character ideas by me, but the answer is most likely.

Seems like Wednesday evenings are looking like the best option. Anyone have issues with this or preferences on time?

Okay, right now we have:

While this is more players than I'm accustomed to, I'm planning on running this weekly, and I'm guessing that not everyone will be available every week, so this is fine for now.

Let me know what particular time (on Wednesdays) work for you.

We'll be using https://roll20.net/ for maps, and we'll be playing Pathfinder.

Thankfully, all the information needed to play is listed on http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, and I (and other experienced players) am happy to help you out along the way.

It would also be convenient if you used http://www.myth-weavers.com/ once we get around to creating characters; that way, everyone has access to your character sheet.

Please download https://discordapp.com/ if you don't already have it. While I encourage voice chat, you won't have to speak if you aren't comfortable. Please join the voice chat anyway if only to listen. I'll create a server for this later.

So let me ask: what type of game are y'all looking to play? Something serious? Something goofy? Are you looking for a campaign with a long, overarching story or something more akin to a dungeon crawler? I have my own tastes, but this is about everyone having a good time, so I'd like to know if you have a preference.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Newt said:

I'd like to have y'all run your character ideas by me, but the answer is most likely.

I'll PM my Idea to you.

7 hours ago, Newt said:

So let me ask: what type of game are y'all looking to play? Something serious? Something goofy? Are you looking for a campaign with a long, overarching story or something more akin to a dungeon crawler? I have my own tastes, but this is about everyone having a good time, so I'd like to know if you have a preference.

I'd like goofy. I'd also be up for a long story. Maybe combine the two?

Anytime after 7 PM EST works for me on Wednesday.

I would be fine with some sillyness, but I would prefer that the overall campaign is somewhat serious, as I find joke campaigns usually get pretty boring after a few sessions.

As to story vs. combat,  I usually prefer campaigns that focis much more on the story and role-playing than combat situations.

I'm leaning more towards serious, but also casual or where some silly things could happen. and as much as I'd prefer an overarching story, I think it'd be better doing something akin to dungeon crawling. idk though 

as far as the times are concerned, any time should work for now. Once the semester starts, Wednesday evenings would be better 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, willow said:

I'm leaning more towards serious, but also casual or where some silly things could happen

This is usually how I run my games, and it seems like it's what most of y'all are interested in, so that works out! :D

For now, let's try for Wednesdays at 8pm EST.

Now I'm going to ask you to think about the characters and classes you want to play. If you have a preference for class (I've heard a few people mention Bard), let everyone else know here to avoid later confusion. I'm going to start thinking/writing about the setting the game will take place in.

I think it'd be a good idea to have a session where we work out any technical issues and discuss the details of the campaign before we actually get going. In addition, anyone that needs help rolling up characters can get that done. I'll schedule this session for this Wednesday at 8pm EST (12/21) unless there's a schedule conflict.

Let me know if y'all can make it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osrik said:

I will probably play a gunslinger, if that would work in the setting. If not, likely an assassin.

In terms of scheduling, this Wednesday at 8 PM works fine for me.

I'd prefer not to put guns in the setting, if only because I am not AT ALL familiar with the gun rules in Pathfinder :P

I'll be relearning a lot of the rules since I haven't played in a very long time.

___

Also, I have now included a Roll20 link for the campaign; it can be found in the OP.

My character is a Paladin since we evidently needed a "hit things until they stop moving" and a "get hit so nobody else does" class, and yes, I'm well aware of the stereotypes surrounding paladins. I won't play a saccharine-sweet goody two-shoes character, but he's not creeping too far into Lawful Neutral either. I think you guys will like the character I've made.

5 hours ago, Eggdodger said:

My character is a Paladin since we evidently needed a "hit things until they stop moving" and a "get hit so nobody else does" class, and yes, I'm well aware of the stereotypes surrounding paladins. I won't play a saccharine-sweet goody two-shoes character, but he's not creeping too far into Lawful Neutral either. I think you guys will like the character I've made.

Here is a link on how to do LG in a way that doesn't make us want to kill you.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2016 at 6:17 AM, Eggdodger said:

That's okay, I'm pretty sure my KNIGHTLY HOBGOBLIN will more than make up for it in goody-two-shoes-ness. He's not very bright but he makes up for it by being brave, strong, and easy to point in the direction of monsters.

4 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

That's okay, I'm pretty sure my KNIGHTLY HOBGOBLIN will more than make up for it in goody-two-shoes-ness. He's not very bright but he makes up for it by being brave, strong, and easy to point in the direction of monsters.

A hobgoblin knight sounds cool :3 I'm glad this isn't one of those parties that is averse to playing good-aligned characters and wants to be MORALLY AMBIGUOUS and EDGY. You're not playing Chaotic Neutral right unless you've abandoned/betrayed the party by the end of the campaign.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 3:11 PM, Rhíulchabán said:

Just because I like hearing about how campaigns go, how are you all doing? Any cool big stories to tell? :D 

We're going up a mountain in order to get an NPC ally free from a ring that will explode if he takes it off when we encounter a stinking crevice in the wall. Andreal, the elven paladin, reasoned that there may be undead inside, and if so we should purge them so they can't sneak behind us later. The others thought there might be treasure inside, and so they followed Andreal-- all except for Dekho the tengu sorcerer and Ivan the hobgoblin Cavalier, who waited outside. The rest of the party spends a long amount of time looking for traps and any sign of danger; but there's just dead bodies and excrement, with a pile of treasure in the corner. It turns out to be completely untrapped, but unbeknownst to us by this time an ogre had advanced upon the two people outside. Our NPC friend, Aervin, runs into the cave, saying through a cloth to cover his nose from the scent, "There's an ogre out there!"

We hurry outside, but too late-- Ivan was knocked to the ground in a charge against the ogre and Dekho got but one magic missile on the ogre before it smashed him into the earth. Andreal finally emerges from the cave & stands in front of Dekho before the ogre can land a killing blow, taunting the ogre to provoke attacks towards himself. His friends soon came out of the cave as well, and the fight was on. Andreal landed a strong first blow on the ogre, instructing our Catfolk rogue Conan to try to move past in order to get a flanking bonus-- every hit counted here. However, the attack of opportunity this provoked knocked Conan far away, down and out. Meanwhile, Ivan and Dekho were still bleeding on the ground-- the ratfolk cleric Khyel sneaked around to channel his positive energy, stabilizing all three downed party members, and rising Dekho. Andreal continued to taunt the ogre, but his flail wasn't doing much to the brute's tough hide, even after he called upon the deity Sonius to help him smite this evil. Aervin eventually came along with a longsword he had found in the treasure pile, striking the ogre to no effect as well. Andreal took another hit, but could attack one more round-- and attack he did before falling to the earth. Khyel quickly got him up, and Andreal pretended nothing happened. This time, he blocked the ogre's blow, and Dekho's last magic missile fired true-- blazing a hole through the ogre's body, he tumbled from the side of the mountain.

Our task done, Aervin decided the longsword he had found belonged rightfully in the hands of Andreal-- the elf boy appraised it as one of Masterwork craftsmanship. There was also scale mail in the cavern that he could not discern the quality of in the dark, and money amounting to 101 gold pieces, of which Aervin refused to take any, having made his living already under extreme duress with the ring on his finger forcing him to sell cursed goods.