Looking at another long term project car

Rukh Whitefang

So I browse the for sale ads in my area once a week and today came across what may be a great deal. I found a 1965 Chevy Bel Air, 4 door for sale for $2000. Price was just reduced and it has been listed for a month. It has a straight 6 and is a 3 speed on the tree (column shifter). Looks to be in fairly decent shape. Needs floor pans on the drivers side, but thats simple to do. Has a couple dents in the right rear quarter panel that may be somewhat difficult to fix. Vehicle runs and drives and looks all original (minus paint).

4 Door Bel Air's have never had a huge value (very few 4 door anything for that matter) but they are hard to find. Mostly because they were not kept and were eventually crushed, parted out, or converted into 2 door sedans. I am going to go look at it tomorrow and will determine if its worth buying. Hopefully this turns out to be a good find.

• Like 1

Went and looked at it tonight. Needs a lot of work. Still very interested in it, but need to make sure its a viable vehicle to restore. So far it needs the drivers floor pan replaced, both rear quarter panels, drivers front fender, and lastly the trunk filler panel. And thats besides the normal items such as weatherstripping, seals and such. The perimeter frame is in great shape, engine looks and runs good and the transmission looks to be in good shape as well.

• Like 1

The 65 Bel Air was to far gone body wise. Entire trunk had rusted and fallen onto the frame. Problem is, thats all custom fab work. Which costs a ton of money. Cost wise the car just isn't worth it. Ive already got one money pit vehicle my Camaro, don't want two of them. So the other day I went and looked at a 1975 Chevy Monte Carlo with t-tops. Again it started out promising, until I discovered the entire interior had been trashed. Car finished would be worth 9k, but it needed 8k worth of work. Not a risk I want to venture into.

And lastly, a 1960 Buick Electra 2 door hardtop just popped up. Quite literally a barn find. Been sitting for 45 years. Haven't gone and looked at it yet but my gosh she is gorgeous.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 0:43 PM, Rukh Whitefang said:

So the other day I went and looked at a 1975 Chevy Monte Carlo with t-tops. Again it started out promising, until I discovered the entire interior had been trashed. Car finished would be worth 9k, but it needed 8k worth of work. Not a risk I want to venture into.

Who the hell abuses/neglects a Monte? ;_;

15 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Who the hell abuses/neglects a Monte? ;_;

Certain types of people who think its cool to use adhesive and plaster NFL logos/wallpaper to the dash and door panels and rear window lip and then put big "diamond" lettering on the trunk that says DUB. Apparently thats cool in some circles. Paint was horrible too. Original color was the 70s bronze that was poking through an enamel based blue paint that was overtop. Car wasn't even prepped correctly for paint. Whole thing has to be sand blasted.

Anyways the Buick sold in less than a day, no surprise there. There is a 77 regal with no engine that has a newer paint job and interior thats listed. Looks interesting.

• Like 1

So, going to look at a 1954 Chevy Bel Air. I'm pretty excited about this one. Its set for becoming a perfect rat rod, something I have wanted to build for years.

Edit: Looked at the car today, and I may have just found my new project car. Needs new floors up front (easy), Needs the gauges converted from 6 volt to 12 volt. Has typical MI rust on the rockers and rear quarters.

1954 Bel Air.jpg

• Like 1