New job

Alexxx-Returns

Ladies and gentlemen, it has finally happened. I've managed to get a job outside the healthcare industry. I've landed a job as a mailman.

So the reason I went into healthcare (I worked as a community carer, and then as a nursing assistant in a hospital) was to get the relevant work experience for med school. Hating every second of it, in hindsight, was not a good sign.

So med school didn't work out. Most of the people there were vile and my roommates bullied me about my weight and my appearance and my mental health declined massively. At the end of the day, I got kicked out because I failed all my exams.

So the new plan is to get some funds together to go do a Master's in a molecular biology field. Just... anything but healthcare again. But try as I might (I got a lot of interviews for jobs, but was never able to get the actual job), the only place that would hire me was in the healthcare industry as a nursing assistant again. I didn't even get interviewed for that job, I just walked into it.

And I spent the next 3 and a half months feeling kinda hopeless about my chances of escaping the industry. But I'm handing in my notice tomorrow, and I can't wait. The company I work for has treated me like crap.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Congrats on the new job! Glad to hear you got out of that awful work. Even better to hear you already have a new plan; Molecular Biology is a fascinating field! Any thoughts on the kind of career or jobs you'd like to do have with this Master's?

Well I have a real knack for molecular/cell biology I found out. I also really enjoyed doing my final year research project, so the obvious thought is becoming a researcher. My project was in development, which is a fascinating field, but my first thought for a career is cancer biology, since there's always gonna be an obvious, and significant demand for research in this area. I liked studying the molecular mechanisms of cancer defenses in the body and the cell cycle.

There was also a biophysics master's I was looking at. That would be amazing.

But I'm also open to pursuing a career that doesn't involve my degree at all. I just don't really know where to look for ideas.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

Well I have a real knack for molecular/cell biology I found out. I also really enjoyed doing my final year research project, so the obvious thought is becoming a researcher. My project was in development, which is a fascinating field, but my first thought for a career is cancer biology, since there's always gonna be an obvious, and significant demand for research in this area. I liked studying the molecular mechanisms of cancer defenses in the body and the cell cycle.

There was also a biophysics master's I was looking at. That would be amazing.

But I'm also open to pursuing a career that doesn't involve my degree at all. I just don't really know where to look for ideas.

Developmental biology is pretty cool, but yeah I'd be willing to venture a guess that cancer pathology would have more opportunities. I assume the UK performs job outlook reports on various degrees. Those might give you more ideas and help you think about which ones to steer towards.

So what all goes into the mail job?

13 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Congrats on the new job! Sorry to hear about your previous experiences though...

I've had some run ins with medical students and although there are good ones out there, the high-stress in the field seems to turn a lot of them sour and makes them quite vicious. I hope your new job goes well, how is it so far?

Thanks! I think the idea of competing against one another for places makes them kind of on-edge and hostile towards one another to be honest. And when they get in, some of them don't adjust to the idea of being able to help one another now. My roommates spent most of the time talking about why other people shouldn't be at the university studying medicine (one of the guys who was like this would get blackout drunk most weekends and attack people physically, and had the gall to suggest I shouldn't be there because I had mental health issues). I was talking about this with the nurse who did my last B12 injection and she said these people usually get sorted out in the hospitals, so I'm not worried. Some of them have a nasty reality check coming. And one in particular is a scandal waiting to happen to be honest... I'm expecting to see him on the news some day for something awful.

I haven't started the new job yet, I only got the email today saying I'd passed the interview. Still, I'm beside myself that this is in my future. I have to give my period of notice at my current job still, and I can't wait for that. I wanted to go into the office after my job today and do it, but I didn't have time. Still don't know exactly what I'm gonna say.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

Most of the people there were vile and my roommates bullied me about my weight

...How? You aren't even close to fat as far I can tell. Unless they were bullying you for being too thin? What a bunch of jokers.

Congrats on the new job. Hopefully you come across some sweet dogs like this!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Socketosis said:

...How? You aren't even close to fat as far I can tell. Unless they were bullying you for being too thin? What a bunch of jokers.

Congrats on the new job. Hopefully you come across some sweet dogs like this!

Yeah, the guys there were VERY critical. If you weren't all tits and ass, you were a joke. The guys AND the girls genuinely hate fat people though. A group of the girls there were reported for making fun of the fat students and saying they shouldn't be on the course.

I'm a dog person in small quantities! If a doggy came up to me like that I'd definitely pet it.

• Like 1

Hope everything works out for you there. I think I'd find healthcare very depressing, but that's just me, I'm squeamish, hate the sight of blood, and am afraid of hospitals. 

Not to mention, doctors seem to be making less and less, while seeing more and more patients; I think dentists now make more. 

51 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Hope everything works out for you there. I think I'd find healthcare very depressing, but that's just me, I'm squeamish, hate the sight of blood, and am afraid of hospitals. 

Not to mention, doctors seem to be making less and less, while seeing more and more patients; I think dentists now make more. 

I know that some people really enjoy the job, but I just felt so undignified doing it. I'm glad that I'll be doing something I can be proud about and actually tell people that I do.

Sorry to hear, Alex. For the record though I think your bad experience might nit shed light on the entire medical field, I think you just ran into one dickhead group of people, Im sure not all med school people are like that. In any case though if the stress for you is that bad Im still glad you left.

Just dont let them get to you, though. Youre an interesting person flaws and all, and youre certainly not fat.

Best wishes on future endeavors

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Sorry to hear, Alex. For the record though I think your bad experience might nit shed light on the entire medical field, I think you just ran into one dickhead group of people, Im sure not all med school people are like that. In any case though if the stress for you is that bad Im still glad you left.

Just dont let them get to you, though. Youre an interesting person flaws and all, and youre certainly not fat.

Best wishes on future endeavors

I wish I could believe that, but it seems like med students like this exist all over the place. Like, there was the guy that my best friend met on Tinder, who, well, they had a mutual agreement for casual sex, which is fair, but he went off to med school, got a new girlfriend and sent my friend a message saying he wanted her to be his "side slut" over the winter holiday.

And I won't go into details about this one, but anecdotes I've been hearing from my mum from someone she works with about a med student around here who got a retail job part time. They really are all the same, with a few genuinely good people sprinkled in there.

They're trying to get people to train who are compassionate and personable, and actually give a shit. But, because an interview is merely an interview, what they've got instead is a bunch of people who can lie about being compassionate and personable. God... this one guy (the guy I said before is gonna be on the news some day) I lived with. You should have seen his FACE whenever he was needed to do something he didn't wanna do. I swear, if looks could kill, he could get a job as the grim reaper instead.

And unfortunately it will always be that way as long as they respect that what goes on outside of work/university is private. I mean, that helped ME get a place too, because they definitely wouldn't have taken me on given how I look and dress, but it would help weed out these people who they KNOW are a liability, but they don't have any grounds to do anything about them because they pass all their exams and none of the patients have anything bad to say about them because they act nice while they're on the wards.