I am a new car buying

FlynnCoyote

Kinda backed into a corner financially, but I am set on getting a NEW new car this time, so my list of options is as follows.

Holden Barina, Mitsubishi Mirage, Hyundai accent, Ford Fiesta. Can anyone offer any opinions? Pros and cons, recommendations?

I know the jackest of all about cars aside from basic maintenance, fluid levels, tires and whatnot, so my preference would naturally lean towards a brand that is relatively cheap to fix if something going wrong, or better yet not prone to things going wrong at all. These four options are pulled from browsing the stock at my local car dealers. My only other options would be to go used, and I do not want to do that.

@FlynnCoyote

I think I'd go with the Hyundai; Korea seems to have become more reliable, and probably a better value than Japan these days.

In Michigan, where I grew up, when they used to make cars, they had a lot of funny jokes about what FORD stood for: Found on the road dead, fix or repair daily, and fucked over redone Dodge.

US cars have improved, but I've never trusted them...odd, I can't drive until I get my vision fixed; cornea problems, but I hope to one day, again,. It's hard, not to.

• Like 1

Fiesta is a fine vehicle, co worker has one and says it great. Plus, its easy to fix/maintain. Stay away from Mitsubishi, dying car brand that is expensive to maintain because parts are pricey. Holden, thats General Motors, and Hyundai. Well I'm biased on that cause I remember when that brand came out and was a pile of crap.

• Like 1

Thanks.

However, another option has come to me and I need some thoughts on a Holden Cruze Sportswagon. Another friend has told me it has no guts, but this thing is really good value so I need to get some insight on what no guts means. He says it sucks but can;t tell me anything specific. Anyone have any actual expereince on the Cruze that could be more helpful?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out as much as I needed to know on that front.

• 2 months later...

Update for anyone who cares. I went the used car route so I could get something better than a tiny looking toy car. The K's were well under 80,000 so it might as well be new anyway.

I got myself a 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Been driving it for the last nearly two months, and it is fantastic.

I would have posted sooner, but money has become an issue. I was prepared for car repayments, but I was not prepared for my rent to go up. I ended up taking a second job to keep on top of things and my energy has been much less. Suffice to say that between seeing to two jobs and essential things around home and family life, Phoenix has taken a drop in my priority list. I've managed to adjust to the extra workload so I'll be around, just less.

It's weird hearing polarising American opinions on Ford cars, when over here in Britain they're seen as some of the most reliable cars you can get, with parts being readily available and extremely cheap.

I drive a 2004 Ford Fiesta and it serves every purpose of what I need it for. I've owned it for over a year now, and hasn't had a single (major) problem with it, despite having racked up 88k miles on the odometer.

On 15/04/2017 at 4:09 AM, FlynnCoyote said:

I got myself a 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Been driving it for the last nearly two months, and it is fantastic.

I've played around with older Vitaras before, and they're pretty good cars. Hopefully yours serves you well!

On 4/16/2017 at 9:57 AM, Wax said:

It's weird hearing polarising American opinions on Ford cars, when over here in Britain they're seen as some of the most reliable cars you can get, with parts being readily available and extremely cheap.

I drive a 2004 Ford Fiesta and it serves every purpose of what I need it for. I've owned it for over a year now, and hasn't had a single (major) problem with it, despite having racked up 88k miles on the odometer.

I've played around with older Vitaras before, and they're pretty good cars. Hopefully yours serves you well!

I agree, it comes from the products Detroit produced during the 80's - 90's and to some degree the early 2000's.   The big Detroit automakers abandoned passenger cars because of the legitimate competition from the Japanese .  They focused on the high margin trucks and SUVs during that time but that changed.  

• Like 1