If you could be superhuman in removing one aspect of survival?

Vallium

Let's be OP  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What advanced ability would you choose?

• No sleep needed; More sustenance needed
    • No sustenance needed; More sleep needed
    • Heightened senses; Increased mortality
    • Near immortality; Lowered senses
    • Checkbox;As is tradition
    • WANPAAAAAAAAAANCH

So as it stands, we need things to live. 

What if you chose to not need any sleep? Imagine being able to stay awake 24/7 without exausting, imagine how much more you could do than the average human (or more time you'd waste than average?) (Naps optional)

What if you chose not to need any food or drink to sustain your life and still feel energy? You could save time and/or money from searching for sustenance and use all those funds for other things (snacking/meals are optional, of course)

What if you could choose  altered senses? A heightened sense of awareness or wit for your surroundings in all five senses. Super hearing, excellent eagle vision, touch sensations much more vivid, sense of smell powerful and taste so much more.

What if you were impermeable to disease or wounds? You could live on with little worry of impending death aside from old age in which you would live longer than the average person, aging less quickly as well

Ah, but perhaps with great power, comes great caveat

If you choose the gift of not needing sleep, you have  need for food sustenance more than you normally would.

If you choose the gift of not needing food to sustain oneself, then you also choose the need for more rest than average

If you choose the gift of heightened sense, you also risk your body vulnerability, more prone to wounding and more at risk of certain illness if left unmonitered or untreated 

If you choose near immortality, you choose to risk your lowered awareness; your hearing, eyesight, touch, smell, and taste is reduced.

• Like 2

Definitely no sleep; more food. That I could lose weight just eating the same amount I do now is merely a bonus! Think of all the 3D I could make! :V Sure, it'd be a little weird at first, but I could do much a lot of good work with more time. Besides, a bump in the foos budget is a small price to pay.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Revates said:

I'd choose immortality since death is normally caused by the diseases and illnesses related to old age. I choose that one.

Near immortality, the illness relating to aging is merely slowed, but you can indeed die, living to 100-something as a younger looking albeit almost blind-with-hearing-loss-and sensory-impairments old man

As for me, I've pondered these before, imagining what it would be like to no longer sleep or no longer eat.

But if I had to choose (tough decision) I chose heightened senses. A bit odd, I assumed that may not be a popular choice. But part of me feels there would be great pleasure in living life with such sensations. One could potentially be hyper aware or more alert of potential dangers with said ability, avoiding damage before it happens. Illness would be a bit tricky, and steady monitoring could be a hassle, but beats being sick before one becomes sick.

Maybe not the best choice? Ah well, there is my reasoning.

9 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

As for me, I've pondered these before, imagining what it would be like to no longer sleep or no longer eat.

But if I had to choose (tough decision) I chose heightened senses. A bit odd, I assumed that may not be a popular choice. But part of me feels there would be great pleasure in living life with such sensations. One could potentially be hyper aware or more alert of potential dangers with said ability, avoiding damage before it happens. Illness would be a bit tricky, and steady monitoring could be a hassle, but beats being sick before one becomes sick.

Maybe not the best choice? Ah well, there is my reasoning.

I was going to choose heightened senses, but dying even earlier doesn't sound very appealing to me. So, I went with no sleep.

6 minutes ago, Gator said:

uh hello, never have to sleep again AND have an excuse to eat more food?  sign me the fuck up

The downside for this would be that your food expenses would rise through the roof and you'd need to eat affordably

You'd also be screwed if a famine or some other apocalypse or some shit struck your area

---

But even with this price to pay, I would still like to having not to need sleep as much

49 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

The downside for this would be that your food expenses would rise through the roof and you'd need to eat affordably

You'd also be screwed if a famine or some other apocalypse or some shit struck your area

---

But even with this price to pay, I would still like to having not to need sleep as much

The OP said "more than normal." It didn't say "ridiculous stupid amounts more than normal".

Also an apocalypse event would fuck with much more than your food needs, I assure you.
You'd likely be screwed either way.

35 minutes ago, Vae said:

The OP said "more than normal." It didn't say "ridiculous stupid amounts more than normal".

" More than normal" is not defined so I made my own assumption of what constitutes as more than normal. I was thinking along the lines of "If I don't have an obligatory requirement to sleep, I need to eat twice as often" which translates to having to eat every 2-3 hours instead of 4-6. I don't know bout the rest of you but in my household, food bills use a formidable portion of the monthly budget

41 minutes ago, Vae said:

Also an apocalypse event would fuck with much more than your food needs, I assure you.
You'd likely be screwed either way.

Yes, you would be screwed regardless so I guess I misphrased that but you'd still be more screwed than usual in the event of an apocalypse/famine when you should conserve energy as often as possible when food is scarce

• Like 1

I'll go with heightened sense, and a shorter life. I love the way food tastes, and tend to be a very sensual sort, so if certain things feel even more intense, that would be amazing. I'd rather have a shorter life where I experienced things with great rigor and engagement, than a long, muted one.

I guess the terms are loose, but the main drawbacks are meant as drawbacks because every power needs a drawback. I kept them not too huge because it would keep the power more useful rather than more of a burden.

Less sleep more food means more food than you would normally consume, probably twice as much. This would indeed increase your food budget and if you eat a lot on a regular basis you'd probably risk feeling hungry a lot of the timem

Not having to eat but needing more sleep probably means you're in more of a hibernate-ey state. This will save you funds and shopping trips, will help you survive more if youre tight on a food budget, but you'd probably need to schedule  naps more between other responsibilities. But hey, food budgets add up, so only needing to snack once in a while maybe for pleasure means all that money cash goes to paying off bills, buying a house, recreational pleasure. You'll be financially farther ahead than those who need food to live.

Heightened senses increased mortality will not meet your doom just yet. Regular health checks and proper diet will keep you safe as anyone would be. Medication will help any illness you are stricken with. You might get a cold or fever a little more often than normal but it isnt going to kill you. Your life expectancy may be the similar as any human, probably reduced under the 80-100 mark, oh well they say the good die young, right?

Immortality comes with the curse of being less functional than the average man. Extremely poor eyesight probably means high powered glasses, reduced color vision, maybe. You may need hearing aids for most your life, your touch sensations arent sharp or strong, and you cant smell worth a darn. Food tastes a little more bland, just meh. As you age well into your 80's and onwards you become more closer to blind and deaf, your other senses deteriorating as well. You will always have a minimal amount of vision and hearing, though. 

Voluntarily I'd choose none.

Without sleep comes insanity

Without decent senses you get a mediocre quality of life

I like food, I'm not gonna give that up.

With increased mortality odds, well, what good are the abilities to you if you're dead or bedridden. Besides, if you super feel everything you're not gonna last long :^)

If I HAD to pick one, it'd be heightened senses.

32 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Voluntarily I'd choose none.

Without sleep comes insanity

Without decent senses you get a mediocre quality of life

I like food, I'm not gonna give that up.

With increased mortality odds, well, what good are the abilities to you if you're dead or bedridden. Besides, if you super feel everything you're not gonna last long :^)

If I HAD to pick one, it'd be heightened senses.

Insanity is a side affect of lack of sleep, you would not get that as a superhuman ability of not needing sleep.

The senses will be lesser but will still be there, you have more life than most and no fear of death or dying

Food eating is optional, it just means you wont die of hunger or feel hungry. You can still eat for pleasure.

Increased mortality does not mean totally invalid at all times. You still get a chance to avoid dangers, too. You're vulnerable but you dont die...right away without intervention at least, you can heal.

Normal is good. If you want to be a normie, all normies vote checkbox...probably. Maybe they just want to fulfill some forumwide meymey.

Weeaboos vote WAAAANPAAAAANCH

16 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

---

good thing i can get more work done/get more or better jobs with my non-sleeping to earn more food money! 

come the apocalypse, idk... time 4 vore i guess

• 5 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Sergalus said:

You punch what!!!!!!!!

Well, first I would punch enough world leaders so that they dedicate government spending to basically transform me into a god. Then I punch sergals because they are confusing looking. I can't tell if they are wolves or dragons. Maybe they are hybrids of animals and cheesewheels.

2 hours ago, Zop said:

Well, first I would punch enough world leaders so that they dedicate government spending to basically transform me into a god. Then I punch sergals because they are confusing looking. I can't tell if they are wolves or dragons. Maybe they are hybrids of animals and cheesewheels.

They are wedge of cheese, nothing more. ILXOn2v.jpg

• Like 2

If I were to forgo sleep, I would have endless time for any number of projects. But, mind would burn endlessly without being refreshed, and without the advantage of fatigue I would not be able to silence it. Have you ever tried to take a nap when you weren't tired? It would be inescapable torment, I would be a glutton with the terrifying prospect of permanent consciousness. Conversely, if I traded the need for sustenance for the dependence on sleep, I would be a man out of time. While the world played out around me I would be insensible, and my few slices of awareness would scarcely keep me connected to the world. It may be better to sleep permanently. I would be a lost somnambulist, friendless and unaware of a world that left me behind.

To trade immortality (pfff, "near". It's all or nothing with me, man) for the loss of sensation is to be a Struldbrug. To quote Swift:

"They commonly acted like mortals till about thirty years old; after which, by degrees, they grew melancholy and dejected, increasing in both till they came to fourscore. They were not only opinionative, peevish, covetous, morose, vain, talkative, but incapable of friendship, and dead to all natural affection. Envy and impotent desires are their prevailing passions. But those objects against which their envy seems principally directed, are the vices of the younger sort and the deaths of the old. By reflecting on the former, they find themselves cut off from all possibility of pleasure; and whenever they see a funeral, they lament and repine that others have gone to a harbour of rest to which they themselves never can hope to arrive. The least miserable among them appear to be those who turn to dotage, and entirely lose their memories; these meet with more pity and assistance, because they want many bad qualities which abound in others.

At ninety, they lose their teeth and hair; they have at that age no distinction of taste, but eat and drink whatever they can get, without relish or appetite. The diseases they were subject to still continue, without increasing or diminishing. In talking, they forget the common appellation of things, and the names of persons, even of those who are their nearest friends and relations. For the same reason, they never can amuse themselves with reading, because their memory will not serve to carry them from the beginning of a sentence to the end; and by this defect, they are deprived of the only entertainment whereof they might otherwise be capable.

In your superiority you could maintain nothing not envy for the rest of the world. In loosing the ability to die, you would lose the ability to live.

The least horrible would to trade increased mortality for heightened sensation. You would be fragile, but you would also have greater vitality per unit lifespan.