Filthy Foreigners of Peenix: What are the Capitals of all the States?

Kosha

Off the top of your head, what are they?

Easy Mode: Open up this spoiler to see the list of states and try to remember their Capitals.

Alabama -
Alaska -
Arizona -
Arkansas -
California -
Colorado -
Connecticut -
Delaware -
Florida -
Georgia -
Hawaii -
Idaho -
Illinois -
Indiana -
Iowa -
Kansas -
Kentucky -
Louisiana -
Maine -
Maryland -
Massachusetts -
Michigan -
Minnesota -
Mississippi -
Missouri -
Montana -
Nebraska -
Nevada -
New Hampshire -
New Jersey -
New Mexico -
New York -
North Carolina -
North Dakota -
Ohio -
Oklahoma -
Oregon -
Pennsylvania -
Rhode Island -
South Carolina -
South Dakota -
Tennessee -
Texas -
Utah -
Vermont -
Virginia -
Washington -
West Virginia -
Wisconsin -
Wyoming-

Hard Mode: Try to remember all 50 states off the top of your head along with their capitals.

Please specify which mode you're doing.

The 50 states are:

La La Land, Bognor, Oz, Lemuria, Trump City,
Fresno, Bulgaria, Westeros, Mexico, District 12,
Atlantis, Cuba, Toon Town, Kokomo, World of Leather,
Pluto, Disneyland, Will Smith, Lincoln ED, Derrick,
Chumbawumba, Chimichanga, Tombstone, YMCA, Hell,
Tobasco, Rhododendron, Mega City One, Mega City Two, Texas City,
Appaloosa, Mu, the Moon, Canada, Sioux Falls,
Walla Walla, Berwick-on-Tweed, Springfield, Uranium 235, Moscow,
Babylon 5, Walmart, S-Club 7, The Crips, I-don't-caresville,
Starfleet Academy, Tracy Island, Deep Space 9, Madagascar
aaaaaand.... Bob.

Ok your turn - name all 54 countries that make up Africa

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Faust said:

Ok your turn - name all 54 countries that make up Africa

Let me see how many I remember of the top of my head....

Morocco (+Western Sahara), Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, São Tomé and Principlé, The Congo, The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Somalia, South Africa, Rwanda, Djibouti, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Madagascar, Lesotho, Nambia, Botswana, Senegal, Guinea Bissau, Central African Republic, Zimbabwe, Swaziland

That's all I could remember off the top of my head

Edit:

I was missing: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Comoros, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia

• Like 3

On 30/01/2017 at 6:37 AM, Lopaw said:

Has anyone attempted seeing if they can recall all the counties in the UK? Bonus points for overseas territories/colonial reminants/tax heavens.

I live in the UK and I almost definitely can't

I just looked at a map.
I had no clue that Yorkshire was spread across 4 different counties

On 30/01/2017 at 6:37 AM, Lopaw said:

Has anyone attempted seeing if they can recall all the counties in the UK? Bonus points for overseas territories/colonial reminants/tax heavens.

As Dingo says, I live in the UK and I can name more US states than English counties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saxon said:

As Dingo says, I live in the UK and I can name more US states than English counties.

Probably because it's not considered important enough to be taught to school children by rote, like some kind of weird religious ceremony.

We don't swear allegiance to the queen either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Faust said:

Probably because it's not considered important enough to be taught to school children by rote, like some kind of weird religious ceremony.

...We sort of do though? We weren't made to swear allegiance every morning, but we did have to sing 'god save the queen' a lot.
...and public prayer and religious assembly is government-mandated in British schools, so we do have our own weird stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

...We sort of do though? We weren't made to swear allegiance every morning, but we did have to sing 'god save the queen' a lot.
...and public prayer and religious assembly is government-mandated in British schools, so we do have our own weird stuff.

Yes, although at least when I was a kid, it was possible for your parents to request you be excluded from public prayer on religious grounds. I had a friend who never attended assembly because his parents were Jehova's Witnesses. I personally agree with Richard Dawkins in that children shouldn't be taught any form of religion until they are old enough to make their own informed decision about what to believe.

And to be fair, 'God Save the Queen' is the national anthem. We didn't sing it at the school I went to either, so it can't have been mandated.

16 hours ago, Faust said:

It's probably more helpful for Americans to know the states considering the way the US is

8 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

It's probably more helpful for Americans to know the states considering the way the US is

What way's that then? (Not taking the mickey, I'm genuinely curious. Never having been to America I don't know what it's like - from the outside, you'd swear there were only three cities there, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans.)

55 minutes ago, Faust said:

What way's that then? (Not taking the mickey, I'm genuinely curious. Never having been to America I don't know what it's like - from the outside, you'd swear there were only three cities there, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans.)

Because of how MASSIVE the country is and how radically different the culture and the laws of each state is. Something illegal in one state could be legal in another or vice versa. Also it's just handy to know which state you live in.

On the state level, there are even further subdivisions called counties that most people don't know by memory and don't hold much difference compared to the state separation.

tl;dr - The US is a bunch of countries under one federal government and traveling to a different state can be like traveling to a different country because of the differences.

I'm sorry if that sounds messy or whatever, it's 4AM and I'm trying to write a story I have no ideas for

• Like 1