PETA encourages Games Workshop to remove fur-looking garments from warhammer characters

Tyranno

52 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

They should just say all furs in the game are made of synthetic fiber

Lets be honest, what kind of game developers bothers to do that?

1 hour ago, DrDingo said:

If there's actual cruelty going on, why are they wasting their time and budget with this bullshit

Great job, folks
You're doing the world a favour

keep it up

I guess their other efforts have been met with failure and now we got this xD

Okay, probably not true but this whole campaign seems pointless. If a gamer were to use fur for his cosplay, it would probably be fake/synthetic anyway as real fur is getting more  and more expensive while synthetic cheaper

27 minutes ago, Saxon said:

...erm, guys. Obviously PETA knows that bothering games developers has nothing to do with preventing animal cruelty.

They're doing it because it guarantees that people talk about PETA.
This isn't stupidity; it is effectively intentional viral marketing.

I don't think this is what goes on in their head.

n8umjWj.png

• Like 2

Wow... Let me just quickly... drop a little bit of context for people who don;t know much 40k.

So in this setting, there are some other "happy chaps" who like to wear skin that isn't theirs.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/6/69/Necron_Flayed_Ones.png/revision/latest?cb=20150202203021

Some fun extra info, the lore regarding these guys is ambiguous in some sources as to why they do this, and there have been examples of them not killing their victims before they remove their skin. Is this a cruel practice? I think by the standards of every god and race in this fictional setting, the answer would be yes. Or at the very least an ehh...

Now on the other hand, the astartes of the Space Wolf chapter mentioned in that letter are significantly different. They revere the beasts whose fur they wear, they treat them almost as kin in some instances and even when this is not the case, the animals are not farmed or hunted expressly for their fur. The fur is taken only after the fact, after their loyal pets have been killed by enemies in combat, or after the wild beast has been slain in an honourable hunt (usually undertaken by the astartes in question with no armour and no weapon beyond a knife or spear). They're not wearing fur as a fashion statement, but as a testament to the mighty creatures they based their lives and theme around.

So, if (and a big if that is) there actually was anyone genuinely considering PETA's stance on this, rest assured they haven't got a clue. This was just comparison, it doesn't come close to anything relevant to real life. PETA are clueless and hypocrites.

I for one am disgusted that the UN hasn't placed an embargo on Games Workshop products because they universally and enthusiastically promote violent conflict as a means of dispute resolution. Where is the 'Warhammer Reasoned Debate Simulator' board game? Why have they not made a product called 'Advanced International Sanctions' or 'Fantasy Embassy'?

...actually, that last one isn't a bad idea, I might do that.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Rhíulchabán said:

Dang PETA, I want to stand behind your message of no cruelty to animals, but you are too stupid sometimes to give any respect... I want to like you, but I just can't because of things like this!

PETA is a very much no good organization. I won't get into details, but yeah, their actions and the things they purport to stand for don't match up. SPCAI is pretty close to PETA. AHA is less bad. ASPCA is OKish.

Overall animal rights groups have pretty low standards. If you feel strongly about it, find a local shelter and support them directly.

I think you will all be glad to hear that the Imperial bureaucracy has seen fit to respond to the complaints brought up by the concerned Imperial citizens of PETA, and have henceforth banned the wearing of filthy xeno pelts by the soldiers of the Imperial Guard:

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/02/08/fur-the-emperor/

Of course, all methods of killing and maiming said xeno beasts is still entirely permissible, one must simply refrain from removing and wearing the pelt of said xeno afterwards...

9 hours ago, Osrik said:

I think you will all be glad to hear that the Imperial bureaucracy has seen fit to respond to the complaints brought up by the concerned Imperial citizens of PETA, and have henceforth banned the wearing of filthy xeno pelts by the soldiers of the Imperial Guard:

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/02/08/fur-the-emperor/

Of course, all methods of killing and maiming said xeno beasts is still entirely permissible, one must simply refrain from removing and wearing the pelt of said xeno afterwards...

This is nothing short of pandering in the age of political correctness gone mad. >:v

13 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

I wonder why PETA haven't tried to piss off the furries? 

I mean, if they go after niche markets like Warhammer, why not the other group that's focused around animals? 

Thhey could say that "fursuits only serve normalize the act of wearing real fur" or something.

The Finnish branch of PETA dressed two women up as foxes, it's the origin of the 'Hey kid, wanna yiff?' meme.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saxon said:

On the subject of animal welfare and furries though, I was always surprised that furries aren't more likely to be vegetarians.

That's also struck me at points...if anything, vegetarians tend to catch a lot of guff on most furry forums, as if all vegetarians must be of a certain militant mold. It's odd, but it seems almost a trend for furries to be poised to try to write them off as 'SJW' sorts. But I have known some.

Then again, it seems a lot of furries are pretty hefty, so maybe they just don't wanna give up eating all that food.

10 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

That's also struck me at points...if anything, vegetarians tend to catch a lot of guff on most furry forums, as if all vegetarians must be of a certain militant mold. It's odd, but it seems almost a trend for furries to be poised to try to write them off as 'SJW' sorts. But I have known some.

Then again, it seems a lot of furries are pretty hefty, so maybe they just don't wanna give up eating all that food.

Yeah I think a lot of furries, like the rest of the public, perceive vegetarians as 'holier than thou,' which I think is an imagined stereotype.

I haven't really ever come across anybody who wanted to convert me to vegetarianism (they'd be wasting their time since I already am one, lol). I regularly come across people complaining about militant vegetarians though.

10 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Yeah I think a lot of furries, like the rest of the public, perceive vegetarians as 'holier than thou,' which I think is an imagined stereotype.

I haven't really ever come across anybody who wanted to convert me to vegetarianism (they'd be wasting their time since I already am one, lol). I regularly come across people complaining about militant vegetarians though.

Ah, I know what you mean. I'm an on-again, off again vegetarian...I do eat meat, but tend to keep it very limited. Though I was pondering giving it up again, as when I do, it makes me very much more aware of what I'm eating, and pretty much rules out the danger of falling prey to fast food. How long have you been a vegetarian? I went a year once, a few other times, for periods of months...guess I'm a vegetarian, who sometimes eats meat. :v (mainly bison, or farm raised seafood: talapia, clams &c)

2 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Ah, I know what you mean. I'm an on-again, off again vegetarian...I do eat meat, but tend to keep it very limited. Though I was pondering giving it up again, as when I do, it makes me very much more aware of what I'm eating, and pretty much rules out the danger of falling prey to fast food. How long have you been a vegetarian? I went a year once, a few other times, for periods of months...guess I'm a vegetarian, who sometimes eats meat. :v (mainly bison, or farm raised seafood: talapia, clams &c)

Ah, I would probably avoid fast food if I ate meat anyway, but you know, fast food kinda makes me feel ill.

I totally think that people who still eat meat, but just don't it very often, should be accepted by vegetarians, because their carbon footprint is smaller than it would otherwise be, so they're doing a good thing. It doesn't matter if they sometimes eat meat in my view.

I've been veggo since I was 11, actually. The initial reason that I stopped eating meat was because I felt sorry for the animals, but nowadays it's just because I want to keep my carbon footprint smaller.

• Like 1