Castlevania Netflix series

Tsuujou

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/273610-netflix-is-getting-a-castlevania-series-update

I know things based on video games usually suck, but Netflix original series are usually given critical acclaim recently so this is noteworthy imo. Possibly animated. But if they come out with something Lords of Shadow related, I'm gonna be sad and they most likely will. :c
I'd SCREAM if it was Symphony of the Night and they got the original cast to do the voices. Robert Belgrade's voice cures cancer.

EDIT: Nevermind. Frederator. Hope lost. :c

On 2/9/2017 at 6:37 AM, Socketosis said:

Okay, I'm really curious how that's going to work out...

2 concerns and an update.

Apparently, it's based on Castlevania 3. So cool. No Lords of Shadow. Thumbs up.

Two issues I have. Frederator's style of cartoons isn't bad, but I don't know how they're going to handle something gothic, dark, and often gritty like Castlevania and be faithful to the games. The only name there that seems fitting is Warren Ellis.
Also a friend of mine worked for Frederator (I'm not giving out his name or what he worked on for his privacy) and he said they are managed very very horribly and would not work for them again. That's not good.

They sure are aiming high

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/2/9/14565686/castlevania-netflix-series-showrunner

Castlevania showrunner Adi Shankar has big plans for his new series on Netflix that will reach Game of Thrones levels in scale and gruesomeness, but with cinematic battles akin to a Lord of the Rings movie.

Shankar spoke to Polygon today about Netflix’s new series, and while he couldn’t give too much information away, he did comment on his vision for the show. According to Shankar, the series is going to “set the bar” for video game adaptations.

“If you look at Game of Thrones, each season was bigger than the last,” Shankar said. “The last season had that huge Jon Snow battle, which was like a scene from Lord of the Rings. I’d like to do something along those lines.”

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, I thought this was a new live-action show, but this is apparently based on the animated adaption of Castlevania III written by Warren Ellis that disappeared around 10 years ago? I was kind of excited for that, but didn't quite like the violent, raunchy direction he was going with it, and it sounds like that's still the way it's going. Now I wonder if the infamous Goat-Fucking Scene is still going to be in.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

get this shit out of my face
(She was so broken.)

I think it would be more fitting if TV Castlevania was ether a anime from the 80's/early 90's or a live action show about Simon bopping around Transylvania, Saving people, exploring a bit in the Castlevaina itself, solving problems .etc and with sub items & bosses from Castlevania, Super Castlevania 4, Haunted Castle, Castlevania Chronicle and Vampire Killer (Like him using a sword once or twice.)

• 5 weeks later...

First 4 episodes are out on Netflix.
Watched all of them.
Pretty good. The art in the show's gorgeous.

Trevor's actually a pretty likeable protagonist instead of just a brooding emo, which I appreciate.

Spoiler for ep 4:

I don't know why Alucard is yellow-blonde instead of white-haired, though.
Looks like he got the Sailor Moon treatment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

Wait, this show is just called "Castlevania" and not "Castlevania III: Dacula's curse"? wtf.

I thought it was supposed to be called Castlevania Vengeance. But I noticed this show is doing very little with references to the games beside the main plot elements to keep from making people feel they actually need to play them to understand what's going on. So maybe they felt a simple title added to that.

Also, the characterizations are great. I really REALLY like Trevor. And his little speech calling out that asshole priest was gold. Shit, I was feeling rallied up myself. 

I was under the impression that it's not called "Castlevania III" because it's not a third show. New people can get into it immediately without wondering "Wait, what's the previous stuff about?", while those familiar with CV's lore will pick up on what it's adapting immediately.

I've heard that it's not supposed to follow the game 100% either.

I do wish they'd have faded out to Vampire Killer at the end of the fourth ep though,
because how fucking cool of a note would have been to drop off on before waiting for the next season.

I'd like to see them fade out on it, if nothing else, at the end of the series proper.

5 hours ago, Vae said:

I was under the impression that it's not called "Castlevania III" because it's not a third show. New people can get into it immediately without wondering "Wait, what's the previous stuff about?", while those familiar with CV's lore will pick up on what it's adapting immediately.

Dracula's curse comes -before- the first two nes games and -after- Lament of innocence.

1 minute ago, Imperial Impact said:

Dracula's curse comes -before- the first two nes games and -after- Lament of innocence.

"Previous" was used in reference to the number in the title,
not chronological order.

1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

They could still call it Castlevania: Dacula's curse to avoid that problem.

And not have people go "Where's Simon? Who are these people?"

The people who would even be going "where's Simon" would be people who already are familiar with Castlevania's timeline or whatever you want to call it. Keep in mind, this isn't some YouTube special made by fans like A Fox in Space. It's an officially licensed *Netflix* original. It won't get Walking Dead traction, but it's going to grab the attention of a ton of new, uninitiated folks. Folks that won't be worried since they won't know who Simon, or anyone besides Dracula even are.

I mean...if they called it Dracula's Curse, cool. But them not doing so really doesn't mean or do anything.

Also, as far as I'm concerned there's been no issues of confusion from most that have watched it. At least in terms of which game it's following. It was either obvious, people already knew, or people didn't care.

10 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

The people who would even be going "where's Simon" would be people who already are familiar with Castlevania's timeline or whatever you want to call it. Keep in mind, this isn't some YouTube special made by fans like A Fox in Space. It's an officially licensed *Netflix* original. It won't get Walking Dead traction, but it's going to grab the attention of a ton of new, uninitiated folks. Folks that won't be worried since they won't know who Simon, or anyone besides Dracula even are.

I mean...if they called it Dracula's Curse, cool. But them not doing so really doesn't mean or do anything.

Also, as far as I'm concerned there's been no issues of confusion from most that have watched it. At least in terms of which game it's following. It was either obvious, people already knew, or people didn't care.

They wouldn't say that if they're fans of Castlevania. Meanwhile, Newcomers will said this

Jojovania.png

I don't understand why we're arguing over the title that's first in the show. I mean it's not like people gave a flying fuck it wasn't called A Song of Fire and Ice and went with Game of Thrones.

The timeline is completely irrelevant to the media short of being able to add titles to sequels or prequels. We don't need a Star Wars debacle here.