If you want something done right

Red Lion

Don't put a shit ton of cilantro in it >:[

Got a wonton soup thing from the aldi and who ever produced this thing seems to think cilantro is a main ingredient. There was more of that shit in the soup than there were peas and carrots. It was pretty much inedible. So at like 6 a.m I ended up in the kitchen rolling out dough and using leftover pork, cabbage and hosin sauce to try and make homemade pot-stickers.

I am a master of many things, but alas, potsticker dough is not one of them. They came out too thick and tasted more like pasta than I would have like. But pan fried and seasoned with a little garlic they were tasty enough. I wouldn't call them proper Asian food though. I'd say they were more like an asian themed ravioli....

For future reference: any of y'all got any kind of advice for making pot-sticker dough?

• Like 2

As with many dough-related confections, a lot of the success of a dish comes down to technique, which can be really hard to glean from a recipe alone.  Check out some online videos and practice a few times to learn the tricks.  Also put big rubber bands on the ends of your rolling pin to get a consistent thin dough.  Good luck!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Revates said:

From my experience some Aldi products can be a little off, although mainly good you get a dud like that here and there. I haven't quite had anything as bad as the attack of the cilantro though.

Yeah, Aldi stuff is good for the price but some of their products are really hit and miss. It's good place to go for eggs, milk, bread and frozen meats though.

• Like 1

Aldi's is great for ingredients and bare-bones food, stuff that can be used to make good meals. More complex things, like black forest cherry cake kits and whatnot? Quite hit-miss. 

Also, their boxed Mac and cheese is quite tasty when mixed with their chili beans and some hot sauce. Throw in some shredded cheddar and you have my favorite home alone meal.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 10:00 PM, LazerMaster5 said:

Also, their boxed Mac and cheese is quite tasty when mixed with their chili beans and some hot sauce. Throw in some shredded cheddar and you have my favorite home alone meal.

Never occurred to me to try this. I don't normally touch boxed Mac and Cheese but this sounds promising. 

On 11/02/2017 at 2:26 PM, Johanna Waya said:

I remember my filipina step mom made lumpia through this really thin type of dough you can buy at asian shops, you should try it

I think they may be rice sheets that are used

why have you had more filipino food than me x_x

Anyway, I don't tend to use cilantro all that much, but then again, all I know how to effectively make is spaghetti and pizza :V

On 2/16/2017 at 10:00 PM, LazerMaster5 said:

Aldi's is great for ingredients and bare-bones food, stuff that can be used to make good meals. More complex things, like black forest cherry cake kits and whatnot? Quite hit-miss. 

I misread that as Home Alone Metal:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I have one question: What the fuck is an Aldis?

A bare bones grocery store that orders everything in bulk, so stock is displayed in the containers and trays it was shipped in. By keeping things simple as possible, they are able to keep costs down.

• Like 2