Webs!

FlynnCoyote

We had a new tenant tonight. An orb weaver spider was building its web across our backyard, inadvertently cutting the rest of us off from the clothesline.

tenant_by_serpion5-dazcybo.jpg

tenant_2_by_serpion5-dazcyel.jpg

I love these spiders. It froze up when I got close enough to take the picture, but then I returned to the veranda it started moving again. It's really interesting to watch them spin their webs. It would have been a pretty relaxing way to spend a half hour or so tonight. Buuuut...

Then the cat turned up. And she was entranced by the funny moving thing up in the air. You can probably guess what happened.

tenant_3_by_serpion5-dazcyfq.jpg

Aaand there she is. Proud of herself and perplexed as to why I am not... -,-

I'm not sure if she actually killed the spider or if it got away from her once it was on the ground, but if it tries to build another web somewhere around here hopefully I'll see it again, and hopefully Trixie won't.

• Like 1

For a moment, there was not just one web inside your property

Oh well, it's a shame the cat got rid of it. Spiders are great for curbing down mosquitos and flies which are far more annoying. Back in my old home in some suburbia land, my family used not to clear the spider webs from near the gardening shack because of this reason. 

Poisonous pests on the other hand can go fuck themselves. The viper I saw on the lawn got decapitated by a shovel in a heartbeat. I am sure same would apply to spiders (You live in Australia, right? That place is full of poisonous spiders and other critters) 

RIP spooder ily :'(

thought that said weebs at first but i like spiders better anyway

i always get excited when i find new orb weavers, especially if they're the big yellow ones.  the little grey ones are mildly scary to me for some reason.

i do not, however, appreciate them building webs that hang all over the sidewalk where i walk at night and can't see them.  dicks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

(You live in Australia, right? That place is full of poisonous spiders and other critters) 

You think that's bad? Australia has ants that can kill you. ANTS!

The Sidney Funnelweb's one of the nastiest. Sure, you hear about the redback, but actually the redback's venom is survivable if you're not very young or frail and you don't panic, plus they're not aggressive. Most redback bites are because they like to hide in shoes and under toilet seats where people startle them into biting. The funnelweb on the other hand will GO for you, it's frickin' aggressive as hell, and its venom is four times as dangerous as any other Ozzy trapdoor spider. Plus they lie in wait for you. Yes, YOU!

BE AFRAID! AAAARGH!

....oh wait, I'm in the UK. Phew. You know, we pick *great* places to send our convicts!

4 hours ago, Faust said:

Most redback bites are because they like to hide in shoes and under toilet seats where people startle them into biting.

You say that like that isnt terrifying

I'd say the ones you cant see are more terrifying than the ones you can see

Not only that but imagine getting bit in the arse in the comfort and safety of your own toilet, imagine the kind of trust issues you would have afterwards

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Initially thought it was a gigantic spider with a web the size of your yard. I need my morning caffeine...

Its legspan was about the size of a 20c piece if you know how big that is, and the web did indeed span the full depth of the backyard. It strung up between the posts on the back veranda and the bush at the back fence. Like I said, we wouldn't have been able to get to the clothesline without knocking it down.

I guess Trixie thought she was helping?

8 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

Poisonous pests on the other hand can go fuck themselves. The viper I saw on the lawn got decapitated by a shovel in a heartbeat. I am sure same would apply to spiders (You live in Australia, right? That place is full of poisonous spiders and other critters) 

Actually I tend to let them be. Spiders are easy enough to relocate, and there are animal control people you can call in the case of snakes and such. We tend to try not to kill native species. Things like cane toads and foxes though people are more inclined to kill on sight.

• Like 1