So half the internet went down today

fennecbyte

2 hours ago, Aeon said:

this is going to sound asinine, but isn't it ironic how cloudflare goes under service after the data leak was discovered and this happened?

It's just coincidence. CloudFlare goes down and half the internet goes down. AWS goes down and the other half of the internet goes down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I am surprised that people say their internet connected ovens now won't respond; did this actually happen?

Yes. The servers that the ovens connect to over WiFi went down and, apart from the now-broken app, there were no other controls for the ovens.

The downtime was only temporary, though. It's not like they'll be offline forever.

Also, you don't follow IoT enough. This stuff happens all the time.

The Twitter user @InternetOfShit proves that a more appropriate name for IoT on a daily basis.

We live in an age where light bulbs need regular firmware updates, refrigerators can be backdoored from half a world away, hotel guests can be locked in their rooms by ransomware, and ovens and thermostats can't be used when cloud services go down.

• Like 5

Just now, ArielMT said:

We live in an age where light bulbs need regular firmware updates, refrigerators can be backdoored from half a world away, hotel guests can be locked in their rooms by ransomware, and ovens and thermostats can't be used when cloud services go down.

Don't forget telling your security expert friend about you WiFi being slow and discovering that your DVR is part of a botnet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

The Twitter user @InternetOfShit proves that a more appropriate name for IoT on a daily basis.

Hopefully the toilet will be left alone in this madness.

LOL toilet hackers.

"Flush.exe has stopped working"

• Like 4

I blame an industry struggling with growth. Companies have had shorter and less successful product lines since smartphones. Tablets, gimmicky laptop form-factors, smart watches, etc. The industry is failing to produce true innovation that will grow the market and so they grasp at niche products where the economics inevitably drive crappy, cut-rate design and poor forethought in order to make a profit off the limited demand.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

I blame an industry struggling with growth. Companies have had shorter and less successful product lines since smartphones. Tablets, gimmicky laptop form-factors, smart watches, etc. The industry is failing to produce true innovation that will grow the market and so they grasp at niche products where the economics inevitably drive crappy, cut-rate design and poor forethought in order to make a profit off the limited demand.

Honestly it's not all bad.

Personally, I dream of hacking into a friend's freezer, and melting all his ice cream. Or messing remotely with his Google home thing, which he just got. That'd be super fun.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Smart watches are the reason why everyone in the UK has to take off ALL watches regardless of type and hand them in with phones when doing exams. 

I have sort of noticed innovation dying, the most recent macs not having touchscreen monitors is a big missed opportunity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, george99g said:

Yes. The servers that the ovens connect to over WiFi went down and, apart from the now-broken app, there were no other controls for the ovens.

The downtime was only temporary, though. It's not like they'll be offline forever.

Also, you don't follow IoT enough. This stuff happens all the time.

...Why would anybody buy an oven that can't be turned off without an internet connection?
I'm not actually sure why an oven even should be internet-connected, to be honest.

I suppose you could just turn it off at the mains.

Smart watches are the reason why everyone in the UK has to take off ALL watches regardless of type and hand them in with phones when doing exams. 

I have sort of noticed innovation dying, the most recent macs not having touchscreen monitors is a big missed opportunity.

I have never had to remove a watch for an exam...?

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

Why would anybody buy an oven that can't be turned off without an internet connection?
I'm not actually sure why an oven even should be internet-connected, to be honest.

That's what everyone but the companies making the things is asking.

17 hours ago, ArielMT said:

You don't need to look to the Internet of Tchotchkes, Web 2.0 has covered you fully.

During the AWS meltdown users were complaining about random font changes. Why? Because we now live in a world where fucking customs are stored on 3rd party servers.

Do you know what a webmaster does these days? Nothing, they no longer exist. You have your “developer”, your artist and a shit-ton of 3rd party external services embedded links. And if you aren’t using the fashionable programming language du jour, you ain’t shit.

Web design is all kinds of fucked up these days, which cripples the hell out of load times, reliability and security. But look! Shiny complex l33t code! High five codebro!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kinuki said:

Web design is all kinds of fucked up these days, which cripples the hell out of load times, reliability and security. But look! Shiny complex l33t code! High five codebro!

Client-side web programming is also terrible. It's at the point where features already in the language get ignored in favor of the quick-and-easy jQuery plugin, which needlessly bogs down the user's browser.

Let's not talk about PHP. Ever.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kinuki said:

You don't need to look to the Internet of Tchotchkes, Web 2.0 has covered you fully.

During the AWS meltdown users were complaining about random font changes. Why? Because we now live in a world where fucking customs are stored on 3rd party servers.

Do you know what a webmaster does these days? Nothing, they no longer exist. You have your “developer”, your artist and a shit-ton of 3rd party external services embedded links. And if you aren’t using the fashionable programming language du jour, you ain’t shit.

Embedded fonts for UI symbols and social media sharing symbols because Bootstrap and Bootstrap-wannabe frameworks don't want to use regular images.  Let's just use private-area Unicode symbols and fonts that turn them into the images we want, because that'll save us a few bytes of bandwidth, and screw the dozens or hundreds of kilobytes of bandwidth we're making the user download over and over again from our framework cloud partners!

4 hours ago, george99g said:

Let's not talk about PHP. Ever.

<?php
  $haystack = "apple";
  $needle = "a";
  $position = strpos( $haystack, $needle );
  if ( $position == FALSE )
    {
    echo "There is no $needle in $haystack.";
    }
  else
    {
    echo "The letter $needle is letter $position of the word $haystack.";
    }
  echo "\n";
?>

"There is no a in apple."

:3c

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArielMT said:

"There is no a in apple."

:3c

Any experienced PHP programmer will scream at you right now.

Most development environments will also scream at you about the lack of a third equals.

I will also now scream at you for talking about PHP when I said we shouldn't talk about PHP.

AÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÁÂÁÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÂÁÀAÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÂÁÀAÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÂÁÀAÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÂÁÀAÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÂÁÀAÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂAÁÂÁÀAÀÁÂÁÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀÁÃÁÂÃÂÀÂÀÂÄÅÃÂÃÂÂÄÃÄÂÀ

• Like 2

1 minute ago, george99g said:

Most development environments will also scream at you about the lack of a third equals.

As far as I know, PHP and JavaScript are the only major languages that have two separate equality operators.  Every other language I know of has only one equality operator.  (C-likes, Perl, Python, and Ruby have "==", and Basic and Cobol have "=".)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArielMT said:

As far as I know, PHP and JavaScript are the only major languages that have two separate equality operators.  Every other language I know of has only one equality operator.  (C-likes, Perl, Python, and Ruby have "==", and Basic and Cobol have "=".)

The type-coercing equality operator in PHP has also been declared a serious vulnerability.

• Like 1

Nobody forced people to buy garbage that needs an internet connection for no good reason.

We're living in a time where anyone can search for information and reviews on what they're going to buy well in advance and yet they still buy crap like monkeys chasing after a shiny bauble.

"Information Age", indeed.