unpopular opinions

Joel

i get motion sickness in the car because people drive like MANIACS and i'm too short to rest my head on the headrest what a fun ride

quick, think of an unpopular opinion!  uhhh...  business owners should be allowed to refuse customers for any reason.  forcing people to make gay wedding cakes?  not on my neighborhood watch.

8 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Rice is awful. All rice.

I guess my mom will never be able to cook you dinner xD

8 hours ago, Sergalus said:

Fried onion is disgusting.

I cannot eat onion. I can only stand it as a flavouring (which is why I usually get onion powder or minced onion). I hate eating it.

7 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Quiche or anything based on scrambled egg is disgusting.

But somehow if you add sugar the quiche converts into egg custard tart and becomes yum.  

I hate egg on its own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Winter is the best season

This is true. Though we have had almost no winter, this year! Also, winter is good, because it kills bugs. The colder it gets, the smaller the bugs.

I hereby call upon the Norse Gods, and whatever other ones might help, to make 10 feet of snow blanket the entire USA, in its white, fluffy majesty.

Also, I'd get a week off of work, and still get paid, and be able to relax! Ha!

• Like 1

Ah, no car, and I live in a dense urban area, where the power lines are under the sidewalks/streets. Have never lost power, so far, wind, rain, snow. And the landlord has somebody to shovel the sidewalk even. All I have to do is make my way to the cozy, neighborhood tavern ; ) These are among the main places that stay open, in a storm. Gotta have your necessities, in the city!

2 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

I just see immigration as outsourcing childbirth so that American women can do more important and fulfilling tasks like making power point presentations for HR.

Dont worry they still breed, take nine months company leave, and then leave their kids with the househusbands

3 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Dont worry they still breed, take nine months company leave, and then leave their kids with the househusbands

>implying that most American families aren't dual income and that child raising isn't also outsourced to after-school programs.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 1:06 PM, Jtrekkie said:

Winter is the season where everything suffers and dies. Why do you hate everything so much, Gravitas? Why do you like to see us suffer?

• No pest insects
  • Better control of indoors climate
  • No profuse sweating just from going outside to check the mail (If I want to sweat, I go to the gym)
  • No allergies that cause ear infections which feel like kidney stones in the head.
  • Better fashions
  • Holiday season
  • The rare beauty of snow
  • No. Fucking. Heat.
  • Lower chance of insanely devastating weather like hurricanes and tornados
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Vae said:

Zelda's my least favorite of Nintendo's "big 3" franchises. (Mario, Metroid, Zelda)

It's not bad,
it's just not quite as enjoyable to me as the other two.

Welp, time to DDOS your site because I'm an indignant Nintendo diehard and your opinion bruises my sensibilities like a fragile peach. 

You got a site, right?

13 hours ago, Tsuujou said:
  • No pest insects
  • Better control of indoors climate
  • No profuse sweating just from going outside to check the mail (If I want to sweat, I go to the gym)
  • No allergies that cause ear infections which feel like kidney stones in the head.
  • Better fashions
  • Holiday season
  • The rare beauty of snow
  • No. Fucking. Heat.
  • Lower chance of insanely devastating weather like hurricanes and tornados

All of this, aside from the snow part falls under Autumn for me. It's also not fucking freezing all of the time, but a decent, chill temperature. Plus the colours, all of the colours!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Socketosis said:

All of this, aside from the snow part falls under Autumn for me. It's also not fucking freezing all of the time, but a decent, chill temperature. Plus the colours, all of the colours!

OK, you do have a point! And the weather here tends to be nice then; the few clear, crisp days here in the 60s/70s tend to be in the fall, a welcome break from the swampy, summer humidity. Always makes me feel more energetic, when the summer heat breaks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

It's not racist to post (factual) statistics about other races that aren't positive. It's better to know these problems and try to fix them than to act like they aren't real.

It doesn't make you racist, it just makes you a 

NAZI

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Gimme aN!

Gimme an A!

Gimme a Z!

Gimme an I!

What does that spell?

YOU!

OT: I don't think I apologize enough. I know. That's weird.

But even just last night, I was playing a game with a friend online and everytime I apologized he called me out for it.

But like, there's plenty of things I probably should apologize for that I don't.

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

It's not racist to post (factual) statistics about other races that aren't positive. It's better to know these problems and try to fix them than to act like they aren't real.

I'm just going to point out that describing 'non-white' races as 'the other races' implies that being white is the default option, which is kind of weird. I appreciate this is probably not what you meant, it just think it sounds odd.

Anyway I think there is a caveat, which is that it definitely does make somebody racist if they believe such trends have causes which are intrinsic to race.
I also think a lot of people jump to the conclusion that any patterns which exist can automatically explain important issues of unfairness. (I have been guilty of this in the past)

For example a lot of people don't mind that black Americans are more likely to be shot by police than white Americans, because they observe that black people are more likely to be convicted of crimes than white people, hence they believe that this explains why they are more likely to get shot by police.

However, if you plot police shootings against crime-rate, there isn't any correlation.

NotaboutCrime.png?format=1000w

41 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm just going to point out that describing 'non-white' races as 'the other races' implies that being white is the default option, which is kind of weird. I appreciate this is probably not what you meant, it just think it sounds odd.

Anyway I think there is a caveat, which is that it definitely does make somebody racist if they believe such trends have causes which are intrinsic to race.
I also think a lot of people jump to the conclusion that any patterns which exist can automatically explain important issues of unfairness. (I have been guilty of this in the past)

For example a lot of people don't mind that black Americans are more likely to be shot by police than white Americans, because they observe that black people are more likely to be convicted of crimes than white people, hence they believe that this explains why they are more likely to get shot by police.

However, if you plot police shootings against crime-rate, there isn't any correlation.

Reveal hidden contents

I never implied that white was "default". I never said it had to specifically be a white person saying it. It could be any race talking about any race.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Reveal hidden contents

What was actually hilarious is how racist you sound like automatically

1. Labeling Sidewalk as white

2. Assuming only whites are complaining about other races not accepting negative facts about their race.

3. looking at said statement as "Whites talking to non whites" instead of it being held as a melting pot definition/statement. 

Kind of racist of you if you ask me. You MUST be a nazi.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I never implied that white was "default". I never said it had to specifically be a white person saying it. It could be any race talking about any race.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

Actually that reminded me of something funny that a friend I have from Singapore said.

She said that she thought Europeans are exotic because she thinks we look archaic and possess a prominent 'Neanderthal brow'. East Asians actually tend to possess a higher fraction of DNA from Archaic humans, like Neanderthals and Denisovans, than Europeans do. (of course, she could still be right that Europeans manifest osteological characters that are more archaic than East Asians; I don't know enough about bones to tell if that claim was true- it was just amusing to be told that I was 'Neanderthal like' by somebody who has at least as much Neanderthal ancestry as I do.)

• Like 2

Adobe premier > Final Cut Pro 

As far as I know all the professional video editing programs can easily put out video of quality good enough for YouTube and broadcast TV.

However because Final Cut Pro only runs on a a mac apple zealots that make videos automatically hate any of the other editors dispite video rendering being very memory and CPU intensive yet getting a mac with decent specs in those areas will cost a crapton more than a PC built for video production.

I actually find orchestra in games to be massively overdone, overrated, and I'm kind of sick of the mindset that it's objectively better than every other music style. I really just rarely find it memorable or stand out in most games I hear it in and find it wildly unfitting and tryhard in a lot of the ones that use it today.

• Like 1

I find it frustrating when I come across stories in which people complement homeless people who refuse charity. I remember reading one such comment in which a man said that he held a homeless man in great respect for refusing a 'handout', because he believed it showed the man was taking personal responsibility for his situation.

The social expectation that real men refuse charity is part of the reason that some people become homeless in the first place, so we shouldn't reinforce it.

• Like 2

A homeless person yelled at me today, screaming DON'T TOUCH THE VEST! DO NOT. TOUCH. THE. VEST!

I had a lot of respect for him, he is showing me that he can set boundaries and parameters for himself. I gave him a 10 dollar bill and he ended up eating it. That's good fiber.

+1!

• Like 2

On 3/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I would agree though I would point out that it might be racist to believe that it's their race/ethnicity that's the reason they have that problem. Saying that "this race has this problem BECAUSE they're this race", instead of just saying that this race tends to have a specific problem that has nothing to do with the race, but that race is usually the ones who have that problem. Focus on the problem not the skin color.

For example, say you have a population of a certain race... say, purple-skinned people. And those purple-skinned people mostly live in a certain community/area somewhat isolated and homogeneous, and they do something considered bad, like ritual religious-based cannibalism (purple people eaters?). You might have people who say "purple people are born savages, they will never change, they are all mindless beasts" as if they are genetically inferior even if their genes are the same as every other human. That's racist. The cannibalistic behavior, while specific to those purple-skinned people, has nothing to do with their race or genetics and everything to do with their culture.