unpopular opinions

Joel

21 hours ago, Socketosis said:

I hate CSS and wish there was an alternative to dealing with it. Things that should be common sense end up making me search Google for some weird ass workaround. There's also a ton of browser specific legacy properties to deal with.

I especially hate the need for media queries and "responsive" design ever since smart phones came along.

I'm frequently told HTML and CSS are the worst programming languages and that web design REALLY needs something better. I fucking hate those.

13 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I'm frequently told HTML and CSS are the worst programming languages and that web design REALLY needs something better. I fucking hate those.

HTML is a markup language not a programming language, which is why its syntax and structure looks vastly different to code for programming languages. Markup languages being there to tell programs how a file should look like when viewed.

CSS is apparently its own thing called a style sheet language and there are not a lot of those, but they more or less change looks of things, like web themes.

• Like 2

Just now, Lopaw said:

HTML is a markup language not a programming language, which is why its syntax and structure looks vastly different to code for programming languages. Markup languages being there to tell programs how a file should look like when viewed.

CSS is apparently its own thing called a style sheet language and there are not a lot of those, but they more or less change looks of things, like web themes.

I'm aware of what CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) is. I worked with it for 3 years. It's a pain in the ass. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

HTML I'm a-okay with. It's just a structuring format and it renders like you would expect it to. It's CSS that makes shit all wonky.

But yeah, I do think there should be more alternatives to choose from that aren't limited to some really niche platform.

12 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I'm aware of what CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) is. I worked with it for 3 years. It's a pain in the ass. 

I found web design to be a nightmare, as the last course I did ended up focusing vastly on it rather than on programming (which I thought it would cover mostly). What little programming I did do was in VB.net which I know is unpopular as hell.

The head of the IT department at college who I spoke to tried to woo me into the level 3 course in the same subject saying we would cover java but I didn't trust them so went and got myself on engineering instead.

It didn't help I was using a ancient version of dreamweaver, I think it was the last one made by macromedia before adobe bought it.

On 06/01/2017 at 10:00 AM, Tsuujou said:

I don't have a problem with anthro characters looking like they have skin. I don't get behind the mindset that all anthro characters need to have this thick coat of fur and never got the whole "if they were real they'd look awful with skin" argument. Well guess what? They're not real. They won't ever be real. :l
If *any* anthro character were real, it would probably be nightmare fuel no matter what so why even bother cherry picking? If you can make it look appealing on paper, I don't care if they have smooth skin, light peach fuzz, or thick fur. I missed the meeting where there was a definitive objective list as to what furries can and can't have. Just reminds me of obnoxious tryhard scalies crying about trivial crap like navels and hair on lizards. lol 
Not digging this attitude that they need to adhere to anything more strict of a furry template cooked up by nerds. y;

Besides it really does just boil down to what works with a specific style anyway.

Me, personally, I can't really draw fuzz that well, but that's okay. Otter's are the fuzziest of creatures, so I probably SHOULD try more.

I think that, regrettably, a lot of art institutions are taking advantage of young people who do not possess the right potential to develop into accomplished artists, by convincing them to take on massive debts that will dog them for the remainder of their lives, in exchange for a shot at a dream that the art universities are aware they will not achieve. :\

Green apple and anything citrus are the WORST candy flavors ever. Cherry, and anything with berry or melon are the only good fruit flavors. Granted those can suck too as it depends on the candy. But green apple and citrus flavored anything is rubbish regardless of manufacturer.

But I will eat a lemon, lime, orange, or green apple and punish any drinks with those flavors any day of the week, boy. No hate against the fruits themselves.

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Green apple and anything citrus are the WORST candy flavors ever. Cherry, and anything with berry or melon are the only good fruit flavors. Granted those can suck too as it depends on the candy. But green apple and citrus flavored anything is rubbish regardless of manufacturer.

But I will eat a lemon, lime, orange, or green apple and punish any drinks with those flavors any day of the week, boy. No hate against the fruits themselves.

I really only like orange citrus flavour, and I love berry flavour, but I really dislike melon and green apple

5 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Green apple and anything citrus are the WORST candy flavors ever.

I disagree. I think horseradish flavour is much worse. Thankfully you only tend to find it in jelly beans.

Mind you, you can also get vomit and earwax flavour jelly beans, but those are meant to be revolting. Somebody actually thought horseradish was a GOOD idea for a jellybean flavour.

2 hours ago, Faust said:

I disagree. I think horseradish flavour is much worse. Thankfully you only tend to find it in jelly beans.

Mind you, you can also get vomit and earwax flavour jelly beans, but those are meant to be revolting. Somebody actually thought horseradish was a GOOD idea for a jellybean flavour.

If you eat enough earwax, you can also get earwax flavoured vomit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Trying to figure out what's with all the CSS bashing above. If hate of it is the popular opinion, then I must have the unpopular opinion of being okay with it.

This is quite possibly the least popular opinion in the history of computer science. But don't worry! It'll change as soon as you have something really big you need to do in CSS ;)

17 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

This is quite possibly the least popular opinion in the history of computer science. But don't worry! It'll change as soon as you have something really big you need to do in CSS ;)

I've had to do entire functional websites before, so I know how crazy it could be. Apparently they weren't big enough, though, because it sounds like more of a nightmare than I experience. Then again, I tend to keep my code clean and organized. A pain in the ass sometimes? Sure. But no more than having to track down some shitty error in java because I forgot a semi-colon somewhere.

• Like 1

I like the new Zelda character.

It's refreshing to see a normally strong character show ACTUAL, HUMAN, emotions for once (not just whimpering or quietly crying into her glove). Yes, Zelda is the rock that holds their world together, but to be honest, holding up that much karmic destiny would be a burden that would break anyone. Seeing Zelda break down because of failing to save her kingdom was a beautiful choice for the developers and a breath of fresh air (:y).

If you're still tracking down missing semi-colons manually in Java, you're using the wrong IDE :P At any rate, if you did all that stuff you said with CSS and still come away with vaguely positive feelings, then color me impressed.

Getting back on topic: I think people shouldn't go over the speed limit in order to pass somebody, even if they're not quite going the speed limit. Nevermind that it's the law (well, here anyways.)

18 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I've had to do entire functional websites before, so I know how crazy it could be. Apparently they weren't big enough, though, because it sounds like more of a nightmare than I experience. Then again, I tend to keep my code clean and organized. A pain in the ass sometimes? Sure. But no more than having to track down some shitty error in java because I forgot a semi-colon somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrGravitas said:

Getting back on topic: I think people shouldn't go over the speed limit in order to pass somebody, even if they're not quite going the speed limit. Nevermind that it's the law (well, here anyways.)

You're from Ohio, right? The drivers there are ridiculously aggressive. They always speed and if you dare pass them they act like it's an insult. They'll immediately feel the need to speed up and pass you to put you back in your place or something. They act almost as if it's a competition.

I usually go about five mph over the speed limit and every other person on the road passes me on the freeway. Why can't these passive-aggressive Midwesterners just drive at the fucking speed limit? I couldn't count on one hand how many times I had douchebags try to race me at stop signs. Only in Ohio, of course.

Texas is almost as bad, but every other state I've drove in has been normal.

OT: Dogs are smarter than cats. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hux said:

You're from Ohio, right? The drivers there are ridiculously aggressive. They always speed and if you dare pass them they act like it's an insult. They'll immediately feel the need to speed up and pass you to put you back in your place or something. They act almost as if it's a competition.

I usually go about five mph over the speed limit and every other person on the road passes me on the freeway. Why can't these passive-aggressive Midwesterners just drive at the fucking speed limit? I couldn't count on one hand how many times I had douchebags try to race me at stop signs. Only in Ohio, of course.

Being from Michigan, I can verify this is one of the many problems that plague Ohio, a state that in so many ways, is just in the way of things, taking up space. It is also too flat, and not nearly as naturally stunning and breathtaking as it's superior northern neighbor, Michigan. I'm sure that @DrGravitas will agree, even. :V

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Being from Michigan, I can verify this is one of the many problems that plague Ohio, a state that in so many ways, is just in the way of things, taking up space. It is also too flat, and not nearly as naturally stunning and breathtaking as it's superior northern neighbor, Michigan. I'm sure that @DrGravitas will agree, even. :V

Yeah, I'd love to live in one of Michigan's urban utopias like Detroit or Flint.

19 hours ago, Hux said:

Yeah, I'd love to live in one of Michigan's urban utopias like Detroit or Flint.

I know this is supposed to be a joke, but Michigan actually has some pretty good urban areas. Detroit's downtown area is now way cleaner and safer for the most part than it was in the past. There's also places like Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids which have very hipster-style downtowns.

On 1/13/2017 at 5:50 PM, Hux said:

And here I live in Mentor where half the population drives the way you describe and the other half drives 10 miles under the limit. Certainly a fun combination.

Probably unpopular in the lgbtqialmnop community, but I dont think religious people are all that bad, specifically the ones that are more accepting, but also those that even though they feel its morally wrong in their belief, they are still very respectful and nice to those they know are gay/bi/trans and dont really try to slap a bible on them or something. They just kind of live and let live. Thats not to say most of them are like that but a lot of them are.

If the norm of people of varying beliefs acted like this instead of getting ghost faced and horrified, angry, avoidant, or hostile, the world would be a better place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I want reeses peanut butter cups too :v

Unpopular opinion (At least in some parts of Canada) Alright we should stop letting so many refugees in, especially with the bonuses they get.

Why do you hate brown people? I just reported you to the Canadian police for your Nazism.

Trudeau will send you to prison for aggravated islamophobia.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I understand why people fear them, that's very obvious. But I adore high altitudes. Unfortunately I can rarely experience them. I'd love to go bungee jumping, get a pilot's license, and scale tall structures like those Russian guys that climb skyscrapers together. And I wanna do this so bad...

I mean, a lot of people around here rock climb. If you found the right places for it, you could try getting into that.
If you had the funds to travel, there's some nice goddamn cliffs in different parts of the US.

This is one I've been ontop of several times (because there's a trail to the top) when I lived in West Virginia:

Seneca-Rocks-WV.jpg

And this is in the city I live in now:

GardenofGods_FingerFace037_3.jpg

Live action superhero films look weird to me; I'd rather they were feature length animations. Oddly, though a huge comic collector, I have never been able to watch superhero films, because something seems 'off' about them. It's as if they are trying to compartmentalize my imagination, to too high a degree.

On 1/15/2017 at 11:12 PM, Hux said:

I hate superhero movies.

Please, stop making superhero movies they all suck and I hate them.

Thanks for putting this more plainly! Well, there three of us now...maybe we'll be able to stop the production of this vile genre of film.

• 2 weeks later...

After taking a longer look at things, I think that I was swept up in the trendiness for having political disdain for movements like third wave feminism.

I've realised how poorly justified and inarticulate a lot of the criticisms of feminism I've read have been- many of them deliberately misquoted studies and assumed nobody would read them to check. I've also become increasingly aware that there is a justified need for feminism even in western countries; it was only recently that the UK stated they would consider fining companies which pressured women to dress provocatively and impractically in order to draw in male customers, after widespread complaints from women that they were being told to unbutton their shirts, wear high heals, shorter skirts and so on.

I guess overall, I'm worried that my political views had been shifted quite a lot by a sea change in the crowd's opinion, rather than because of good reason. :\
Obviously I've got to think harder about my ideas in the future, to check that I'm not just holding them to fit in with people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Socketosis said:

I like Python, even if it's dynamically-typed. But generally, I agree.

Python's good for quick scripts and small projects, but once it gets bigger, the duck typing and the fact it's interpreted start to slow you down as you have to write huge amounts of tests.

Also, it's slow as fuck if you don't use the stuff mapped to C code.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

I guess overall, I'm worried that my political views had been shifted quite a lot by a sea change in the crowd's opinion, rather than because of good reason. :\
Obviously I've got to think harder about my ideas in the future, to check that I'm not just holding them to fit in with people.

Just putting it out there that it's very commendable for someone to take a look at their own views and challenge them. It's probably one of the hardest things an individual can do. Props and respect to you.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 4:12 AM, Hux said:

I hate superhero movies.

I'll take it further - I prefer characters who behave and talk like real humans - this means nearly every wide theatrical release and many of the primetime shows in the last decade or so don't achieve the bare minimum of of what I'd consider competent storytelling

14 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

I'll take it further - I prefer characters who behave and talk like real humans - this means nearly every wide theatrical release and many of the primetime shows in the last decade or so don't achieve the bare minimum of of what I'd consider competent storytelling

While this is all fine and dandy and super cool neato, your personal preferences do not dictate what "competent" storytelling is.

18 minutes ago, Vae said:

While this is all fine and dandy and super cool neato, your personal preferences do not dictate what "competent" storytelling is.

Fast response that doesn't actually make a point - sounds like something a butthurt person would write.

But, being passionate about stuff is always good, I guess.