unpopular opinions

Joel

People are quick to call me an asshole because I'm not quick to suck the dick of every single "veteran" I meet. I'm sorry but if all you did was sit on your ass transferring radio calls for 4 years I don't think you're entitled to lifetime benefits. Yes, you should be paid for the job you did, but that's about it in my eyes.

like the Chair Force

I don't necessarily agree with the army talk. Sure, some areas are more 'lax than others, but you simulate war conditions and all the discomforts it brings even in basic training. It's just the lack of death that's missing. And the administration/comms are the VITAL FLUID of any operation.

I am 90% sure many a folk wouldn't/couldn't pull it off, let alone with flying colours. As a bonus, unlike here where it's mandatory, in the 'states it's voluntary and people have decided to risk their lives (as it requires you to take on a tour as far as I know) for your country's interests.

Obviously I'm biased, but the training is harder than you'd think at times. I think everyone ought to at least show some respect to those who underwent those conditions, especially if you haven't and have just sat home and enjoyed the good life.

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup
comms opinion

I will give you the same respect I give anyone else who does a job for a living.

I don't use the rigors of how I make a living to guilt other people into worshiping me.

If you get a paycheck you didn't "sacrifice" anything, you traded your time and body for money like anyone else whether or not it's a hard job that not many people could do.

• Like 1

People go through way more extensive training than the military does for much smaller things, though. Training to be an MMA fighter is WAY more intense than any military training, except maybe if you're trying to be a Navy SEAL.

Well, I'm no MMA fighter so I wouldn't know, but going for pro in anything takes a lot of devotion. Same goes for the army.

E: I respect contact sports just the same

Coast Guard are the only military arm that actually y'know, DOES something stateside.

They're kinda like firefighters almost.

Ok, I get what you mean. Yeah, they're basically coastal firefighters/law enforcement.

Nat Guard does stuff stateside too but it's mostly sitting at the border unless something big happens like Hurricane Katrina. Likewise the Navy rolled up with like 10 ships for relief and the air force did, uh something. They showed up, anyways.

People go through way more extensive training than the military does for much smaller things, though. Training to be an MMA fighter is WAY more intense than any military training, except maybe if you're trying to be a Navy SEAL.

Yeah, professional body builders train way harder than standard army guys so fuck em!

If you get a paycheck you didn't "sacrifice" anything, you traded your time and body for money like anyone else whether or not it's a hard job that not many people could do.

Extended time away from family and friends is generally the thing I think of regarding people sacrificing to be in the military. Even if it's not combat or getting stationed in some god forsaken desert living out of a tent it's pretty shitty and I don't think people commonly consider that.

Yeah, professional body builders train way harder than standard army guys so fuck em!

They do though.

When it comes to physical training, standard military boot camp is kinda low-key. I've had friends whining about having to run an obstacle course for 2 hours and I'm over here like "That sounds not only easy, but incredibly fun."

Then again I find obstacle courses super fun. Give me an elaborate obstacle course and I'll run that shit for hours and have a blast.

Edited by Lucyfish

Extended time away from family and friends is generally the thing I think of regarding people sacrificing to be in the military. Even if it's not combat or getting stationed in some god forsaken desert living out of a tent it's pretty shitty and I don't think people commonly consider that.

There are lots of civilian jobs that entail things like this.

I mean no disrespect but it is rather vexing how some veterans act as if they have a monopoly on shitty working conditions,

• Like 2

They do though.

When it comes to physical training, standard military boot camp is kinda low-key. I've had friends whining about having to run an obstacle course for 2 hours and I'm over here like "That sounds not only easy, but incredibly fun.

Obstacle courses are fun, but when you have to do a ton of other physical tasks on a daily basis, you don't always have the energy for the funstuffs

Edited to accomodate Lucy's editing. That ninjaedit.

Obstacle courses are fun. But let me tell you one thing about them. When you get told to run that shit for two hours, you RUN that for two hours. You don't sit back much to gain your breath back, and while the track looks easy, it is surprisingly tough on you. All those jumps and bursts of motion.

I have good cardio because I did MMA and martial arts for so long, LEMME AT IT. :3c

There are lots of civilian jobs that entail things like this.
I mean no disrespect but it is rather vexing how some veterans act as if they have a monopoly on shitty working conditions,

Some people are just shitty and self entitled \:3/

I don't see the appeal of stuff like Adventure Time and Steven Universe.  I don't have anything against cartoons or watching them, but I don't understand what the fuss is about. Nothing anyone has said or shown me has seemed particularly revolutionary or nostalgic. My nostalgiamus remains undisturbed.

I don't like any of the Elder Scrolls games, and think ESO is a complete waste of money and time.

Well, your opinion on ESO isn't unpopular. I think it's shared by most with a sense of taste in games.

• Like 1

I don't like any of the Elder Scrolls games, and think ESO is a complete waste of money and time.

I have no idea why they made ESO. Elder Scrolls games have long been mediocre bases on which the community builds a better game, and making it into an MMO kills that potential.

This one will definitely get some people butthurt, but:
Some people don't deserve to be tolerated. I'm talking specifically loud, rude people who don't learn the first time.

Ehh.. If people get butthurt about that, I'm gonna keep my general analysis and opinion of the furry fandom to myself.

TL;DR version: We put up with WAY too much bullshit within our own community and some people need to fuck off or be kicked out.

• Like 2

Hmmm...

In my opinion, How to Train your Dragon was a terrible movie. I had read the books and was expecting the British humor, warmth and charm that they had provided (and I desperately hoped for deliciously hand-drawn animation to compliment the book's wonderful little sketches.)

Instead, How to Train your Dragon featured very few of the original characters, it was loud, it was over-the-top, and it had nothing to do with the book whatsoever. It remains one of the most disappointing movies I've ever watched.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

In my opinion, How to Train your Dragon was a terrible movie. I had read the books and was expecting the British humor, warmth and charm that they had provided (and I desperately hoped for deliciously hand-drawn animation to compliment the book's wonderful little sketches.)

Instead, How to Train your Dragon featured very few of the original characters, it was loud, it was over-the-top, and it had nothing to do with the book whatsoever. It remains one of the most disappointing movies I've ever watched.

It's generally always a bad idea to read a movie based off of a book if you've already read the book. You won't not be disappointed in some way.

Hmmm...

I just thought it was cliche shit. But every coos ever that black dragon.

It's generally always a bad idea to read a movie based off of a book if you've already read the book. You won't not be disappointed in some way.

The funny part is, I'm generally not. I, for example, liked the recent movie "The Giver," even though it made some really significant deviations from the original material.

But in the books, Hiccup and Fishlegs (who's a skinny guy with a vegetarian dragon, and is always catching colds and such) are dreadfully inept at pretty much everything. Toothless is a green (!), foot-long (!!), sniveling little dragon. There are characters like Big-Boobied Bertha (no, seriously) and Norbert the Nutjob, and everything is so absurdly over-the-top that you can't help but laugh.

I should also mention that there are no serious love interests in the book series. Having Hiccup like Astrid (who will never be Camicazi from the books) was practically gag-worthy.

TL;DR: I get where you're coming from, but this movie resembled the book in the same way that your fursona resembles the Empire State Building.

I just thought it was cliche shit. But every coos ever that black dragon.

I will admit the movie design for Toothless was pretty awesome, but it doesn't make up for anything I've said above. How to Train your Dragon remains one of my least favorite movies, not for what it is, but what it could have been.

Edited by BagelRabbit

Hmmm...

TL;DR: I get where you're coming from, but this movie resembled the book in the same way that your fursona resembles the Empire State Building.

I will admit the movie design for Toothless was pretty awesome, but it doesn't make up for anything I've said above. How to Train your Dragon remains one of my least favorite movies, not for what it is, but what it could have been.

Honestly, I still think that's a case of "reading the book first is what ruined it". Though I definitely see where you're coming from, it's just the logical extreme of that argument. I'm sure I would have felt the same way had I read it first.

Also on that subject, The Fox & The Hound is not that great a movie, on the same grounds as what BagelRabbit said. I did actually read the book AFTER the movie, and the movie was alright when I saw it (a little overblown frankly). Yeah.... The movie has nothing on the book. People say the movie is sad. Nope. I can see why Disney would never make an accurate adaption of the book due to some of its content, but fucking hell, if the movie is a slap in the face, the book is like being hit in the stomach with a hammer, imo.