unpopular opinions

Joel

Just now, LazerMaster5 said:

Why should I have to google something because you are too lazy to voice your opinion?

Maybe you should Google it and then you will understand why I didn't post it here. I don't want to risk a ban...because it's rather apparent that some opinions can be a little too unpopular.

15 hours ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Good to know, that's one of the things I liked about FAF and this new forum....very chill.

As a mod I'll assure you that you won't get banned because you have different ideas from me. 

-Tron: Legacy was actually a very good movie as was Transcendence

-Atheism still sounds far to incredibly depressing to believe

-The console vs PC argument is useless if the game is entertaining and well made

-iPhones are quite over rated and I wish the competition gets the attention like it deserves for its innovation from companys like Samsung and LG

The future is not Smart homes but Smart people :V 

• Like 2

I do not think that personal liberties should be the focus of human social advancement. I do not think that such a heterogeneous species as ours can ever benefit from allowing people to feel that they can do anything they want, simply in the pursuit of happiness. Just because the harm in promoting a lifestyle isn't obvious in the short-term, does not mean that it will not manifest itself dramatically in the long-term. Laissez-faire capitalism, for example...

People can be afforded enough freedom to live comfortable, enriching lives, without allowing them to say and do whatever they want. I feel that mainstream thought in regards to raising a child, who is not allowed to do many things because they do not know the harm that they can come across, should be applied to all of humanity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Augmented Husky said:

-Tron: Legacy was actually a very good movie as was Transcendence

-Atheism still sounds far to incredibly depressing to believe

-The console vs PC argument is useless if the game is entertaining and well made

-iPhones are quite over rated and I wish the competition gets the attention like it deserves for its innovation from companys like Samsung and LG

The future is not Smart homes but Smart people :V 

Tron: Legacy was amazing and one of my favorite movies, I'm so disappointed they didn't make a sequel; Idgaf what you believe in terms of religion; PC >>>>>Console; and all Apple products suck. xD

• Like 1

- Sherlock Holmes, Skyfall, Hellboy I and II, and Guardians of the Galaxy were okay. Okay as in they were okay for one viewing.

- Automated/person-less things like self checkout and robot answering machine are bull shit. I mean, why have self checkout when people are going to need help with self checking out since the machines are so new and not always easy to understand?

- From what I've eaten, P.F. Chang's food sucks.

- We should be feeding other animals than birds because birds make such a mess.

- Leash law on all dogs should be really really strict. I don't care if you say "Oh, s/he's an outside dog." Well, the way they're attacking the dog on my leash as well as the inability for you control your dog speaks for itself.

- Going off of that, curbing your dog should be more strict. There really shouldn't be anything more said about that other than the numerous times my shoes were covered in dog shit.

- Relating to this forum, I don't think you should follow furry fursona stereotypes, i.e. dogs are sweet and loyal, foxes are sluts, etc.

Edited by NerdyMunk

- Sports are boring to watch

- People should seriously stop whining about everything and actually DO something

- I dislike almost everything regarding Quebec, including most of its people. Thanks to the internet I have something else to relate to

- I like Bubsy

- I'm really scared of the recent (and especially oncoming) technological advancements in automation.

- Those riced up Civics should be driven directly to the junkyard

6 hours ago, NerdyMunk said:

- Automated/person-less things like self checkout and robot answering machine are bull shit. I mean, why have self checkout when people are going to need help with self checking out since the machines are so new and not always easy to understand?

Disagreed. What's the point of making advances in that case? Everything takes time to get used to, and even what we DO have, people have trouble with already. That's why stuff like self checkouts have someone overlooking them usually.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

- I'm really scared of the recent (and especially oncoming) technological advancements in automation.

I feel like the only reason to be scared of it is if 'murica doesn't get over its fear of anything that isn't pure capitalism.

On 1/31/2016 at 1:48 AM, Sylver said:

My opinion isn't based on moral standards or beliefs; it's based on logic and reasoning.

A child has little to no value in the grand scheme of things, they know relatively little about the world and what they do know is trivial. If you were to shoot a child, you wouldn't lose a source of great knowledge or wisdom. You would lose a potential source of knowledge or wisdom, but you could just as easily have another child. Granted, certain aspects such as genetics play a part in their intelligence (look at twin studies), and I do think that killing children intelligent children is wasteful. It's sort of like being dealt a full house in a card game; it would be wasteful to throw it away and it's quite rare.

Arguable, you could kill any normal child and then replace them with another child and it makes little to no difference. It's hardly any different to killing an unborn child. The world doesn't lose anything that couldn't be replaced by having sex and producing another child. I do consider throwing away the 'rare' children to be wasteful though, because they would be more difficult to replace.

@Maug

Basically.

I like this guy, we think alike. B|

That a search for constant contradiction of one's beliefs and review of what one knows is the best path to understanding oneself and the world with as little bias as possible. Many people seem to think that the best way to do this is to surround oneself with people that are similar and agreeable, and I find that odd - I hear them out, though, for obvious I-try-not-to-be-a-hypocrite reasons.

On 1/31/2016 at 3:48 AM, Sylver said:

My opinion isn't based on moral standards or beliefs; it's based on logic and reasoning.

A child has little to no value in the grand scheme of things, they know relatively little about the world and what they do know is trivial. If you were to shoot a child, you wouldn't lose a source of great knowledge or wisdom. You would lose a potential source of knowledge or wisdom, but you could just as easily have another child. Granted, certain aspects such as genetics play a part in their intelligence (look at twin studies), and I do think that killing children intelligent children is wasteful. It's sort of like being dealt a full house in a card game; it would be wasteful to throw it away and it's quite rare.

Arguable, you could kill any normal child and then replace them with another child and it makes little to no difference. It's hardly any different to killing an unborn child. The world doesn't lose anything that couldn't be replaced by having sex and producing another child. I do consider throwing away the 'rare' children to be wasteful though, because they would be more difficult to replace.

@Maug

Basically.

As I am, by nature, antagonistic and drawn to semantics and logic, I thought I would explain my "Immoral =/= amoral" statement - even against the likelihood it fall on deaf ears.

Morality is, by definition, a distinction between that which is proper and that which is improper.

One is moral when they

• consciously believe certain things to be proper or improper,
  • understand that their society understands things to be proper or improper, or
  • subconsciously preempt their actions based on moral intent.

It is easy to see, then, that one is only amoral when they lack this ability to make a distinction, which is a very rare occurrence indeed.

Psychopaths, for example, still possess an inherent morality. Most aspects critical to a psychopathy diagnosis are inherently issues of morality. Surprisingly, amorality presents itself mostly outside of personality disorders.

Damage to the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC) is one of the few disorders that can - only sometimes - cause true human amorality. Like with all other disorders causing such amorality, damage to the vmPFC causes one to loose more than morality. A person with disorders causing them to be amoral would tend to struggle to function.

That these disorders are exceedingly rare is not to say you do not possess one, but statements you have made make it quite clear that one does not have to invoke a brain abnormality to explain your position.

You attempt to take a position of moral nihilism/amoralism - a belief that nothing is inherently moral or amoral. You do not succeed in completely rejecting morality, though, as you occasionally let slip that you prefer, do not prefer, or do not care about certain things. Some of your inferred morals include

• that killing intelligent children is wasteful,
  • that rejecting morality for logic and reason is the best way to form an opinion, and
  • that killing 'rare' children is wasteful.

Even rejecting morality for logic and reason is a moral decision. As such, you are not amoral but an amoralist. You are a morally bound loser like the rest of us.

That's all I'll say on this, though... unless I am PM'ed with clear evidence against this for I-try-not-to-be-a-hypocrite reasons.

• Like 2

Alcohol is gross.

I seem to be one of the few people in the world who chooses not to drink, mostly because the flavor is not appealing, nor are the after-effects. I don't feel bad for anyone who chooses to over-drink and then feels the pain for it. In fact, I enjoy laughing at those folks.

I'm a monster, I know.

20 minutes ago, Kinare said:

I seem to be one of the few people in the world who chooses not to drink

About 2 out of 7 billion people in the world consume alcohol, so you're hardly the only one :P

Also nobody who isn't a snob drinks alcohol for the flavor. The flavor is something you tolerate that's either horrible or pretty alright so that you can get fucked up. At least in my experience~

2 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

About 2 out of 7 billion people in the world consume alcohol, so you're hardly the only one :P

Also nobody who isn't a snob drinks alcohol for the flavor. The flavor is something you tolerate that's either horrible or pretty alright so that you can get fucked up. At least in my experience~

Now remove all the children and all the people who don't have general access to alcohol in their country~

33 minutes ago, Kinare said:

Alcohol is gross.

I seem to be one of the few people in the world who chooses not to drink, mostly because the flavor is not appealing, nor are the after-effects. I don't feel bad for anyone who chooses to over-drink and then feels the pain for it. In fact, I enjoy laughing at those folks.

I'm a monster, I know.

What sort of shit alcohol are you drinking? Here, have a mudshake.

55 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

Didn't say "only one", just said "one of the few". =p I know I'm not the only one, but those of us who do dislike it tend to be silent until asked if we want any.

Lots of people talk about their wine or brown drinks and say they taste really good (just last night in fact someone was raving about some cherry barrel whiskey that was old or some shit) and I'm just like... "eww". I can see not drinking vodka for the flavor and I've honestly never heard anyone say straight up vodka tastes good, only the flavored junk.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

What sort of shit alcohol are you drinking?

Have tried multiple kinds. Not a lot of each to be honest, but it was enough to put me off.

18 hours ago, Kinare said:

Alcohol is gross.

I'm a monster, I know.

Agreed, I always found the taste and after-effects of alcohol to be repulsive. I watched too many family members transform into blithering idiots from the smallest amounts of alcohol, to the point where I never want to get near it. Alcohol, Tobacco, Pot, anything that slows your body down for the slow purpose of pleasure I find to be gross and degenerative.

5 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

I legitimately find furries and gay people to be intensely irritating. They're hypersexual, cloying, callow, needy, thin-skinned, and generally unstable.

Most people do, that's not an unpopular opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

I legitimately find furries and gay people to be intensely irritating. They're hypersexual, cloying, callow, needy, thin-skinned, and generally unstable.

Blanket statements, woo \o/

May as well contribute my own:
The furry fandom's fear of everything "corporate", its "need" to be 'individual' and all that, is something that really holds it back. Everyone wants to be 'themselves' and all that does is make the vocal morons speak for the rest of us. If people really want to clean up how the fandom is perceived, bigger steps need to be taken to actually fucking improve something.

28 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

I watched too many family members transform into blithering idiots from the smallest amounts of alcohol, to the point where I never want to get near it. Alcohol, Tobacco, Pot, anything that slows your body down for the slow purpose of pleasure I find to be gross and degenerative.

If you can wind down and have fun without it, then more power to you, but it's an invaluable social lubricant for many. Alcohol has brought me closer to a lot of people, even improving how I function without it (and I don't drink a lot by regular standards). It's a great confidence builder, if taken in the right doses in appropriate company. It seems insecure to avoid alcohol out of a sense of pride; not wanting to be embarrassed by your incompetence or vulnerability. I can respect it though - if acting out of character makes you feel like shit, then you're better off sober. I can only speak from personal experience though, I don't know your specific reasoning. I'd totally be up to hear about it though, if you had more thoughts about it than that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Teto said:

If you can wind down and have fun without it, then more power to you, but it's an invaluable social lubricant for many. Alcohol has brought me closer to a lot of people, even improving how I function without it (and I don't drink a lot by regular standards). It's a great confidence builder, if taken in the right doses in appropriate company. It seems insecure to avoid alcohol out of a sense of pride; not wanting to be embarrassed by your incompetence or vulnerability. I can respect it though - if acting out of character makes you feel like shit, then you're better off sober. I can only speak from personal experience though, I don't know your specific reasoning. I'd totally be up to hear about it though, if you had more thoughts about it than that.

It's just my opinion based off my personal experiences...I don't like it, and I generally don't like being around people who are under the influence of alcohol. That doesn't mean I think that it should be banned or anything, I just wish people wouldn't use it. I don't see any physical benefits from it at all besides the fact that it makes you feel good...it slows you down both physically and mentally, and I hate that.

51 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

Blanket statements, woo \o/

May as well contribute my own:
The furry fandom's fear of everything "corporate", its "need" to be 'individual' and all that, is something that really holds it back. Everyone wants to be 'themselves' and all that does is make the vocal morons speak for the rest of us. If people really want to clean up how the fandom is perceived, bigger steps need to be taken to actually fucking improve something.

Well, the owner of Inkbunny, e621, and Bad Dragon lives about 20 miles away from my house and his servers are close by...I could go take him and his servers out if you want me to...think that would help? :ph34r: lol

24 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

So, kick the bottom 25% out of the fandom?

LOL bottom 25% my ass! xD More like the vast majority of the fandom...

Edited by KryptoKroenen

3 hours ago, jcstinks said:

I would make a comment on how I am not any of those, but I feel it would reinforce your blanket statement.

21 hours ago, MuttButt said:

You must be drinking the wrong stuff. I really like the flavor or a Mai Tai and a Blue Hawaiian, and you can't even taste the alcohol in them. I drink alcohol for the taste, and I'd like to think I wasn't a snob. Who knows, though. Maybe I am.