QT Melon

9 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

What fucking game is that? ALL triple-A titles have bugs on release. ALL triple-A titles end up having patches after release to fix these bugs. It's better they fix them then to tell fans to fuck off. Andromeda is NOWHERE NEAR as buggy as any Bethesda title, and people who claim it is are just lying out their asses.

as long as you keep your head in the dirt, we'll keep on saying its buggy as Bethesda game at launch

10 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

What fucking game is that? ALL triple-A titles have bugs on release. ALL triple-A titles end up having patches after release to fix these bugs. It's better they fix them then to tell fans to fuck off. Andromeda is NOWHERE NEAR as buggy as any Bethesda title, and people who claim it is are just lying out their asses.

Horizon Zero Dawn.

Nier Automata

The amount of glitches and bugs were so small, that game came out near perfect.

Getting out Day 1 patches isn't as big of a problem as I know they want to make the ship date. No one said there's nothing bug free either. However, this was an unpolished game that got released, not a game with "Oh there's bugs but we'll get to them ASAP". That isn't defensible. It would be one thing if it was a first person shooter, with uncanny valley going on, but this is a game that is also about interactions.

It's also apples and oranges because most people are comparing ME:A to their previous incarnations more than Bethesda and more often people compare it to the Witcher nowadays because it was launched before ME:A. That and consider the factor that people bash the hell out of the Elder Scrolls MMO, people aren't turning blind eye to Bethesda's failures either.

however, I think this has been covered so many times in this thread, I don't think one should keep banging the same drum and feel that arguing this point is giving more credence..

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Zeke said:

After surviving many World of Warcraft expansion launches, ME:A's bugs don't bother me as much. 

Except for class/job balance, FFXIV has been rather smooth each patch and expansion. It's not that it didn't have bugs or hiccups, just that when they have downtime 90% of the time it's planned for updates and the servers are back online on time or sooner.

SE's customer service is terrible, but i think that there's many exceptions to "All games have bugs (ones that can really hamper immersion)" I think people should stop turning such a blind eye, but I don't think it will happen soon because of hype and how people quickly buy the game at launch price because they're afraid of missing the hype or spoilers.

17 minutes ago, QT Melon said:

Except for class/job balance, FFXIV has been rather smooth each patch and expansion. It's not that it didn't have bugs or hiccups, just that when they have downtime 90% of the time it's planned for updates and the servers are back online on time or sooner.

SE's customer service is terrible, but i think that there's many exceptions to "All games have bugs (ones that can really hamper immersion)" /I think people should stop turning such a bind eye, but I don't think it will happen soon because of hype and how people quickly buy the game at launch price because they're afraid of missing the hype or spoilers.

Legion had a rather smooth launch (Surprisingly), but there were some bugs with quests and the artifacts that they hotfixed within the same day.

As a consumer, you should ride their asses until things get fixed. I feel like AAA games like EA thinks it is okay because fans are willing to eat anything as long as it has their franchise's label on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QT Melon said:

Nier Automata

Nier Automata still has a bug that causes the game to crash and white screen on AMD graphics cards, and fullscreen forces the game to render at 900p and just stretches it to your screen resolution. In addition to this, the pre-rendered cutscenes in the game are choppy on the PC release. The game has been out for a while and there's still no official patch fixing these issues. Instead, Square seems to have just left it for modders to fix.

34 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Nier Automata still has a bug that causes the game to crash and white screen on AMD graphics cards, and fullscreen forces the game to render at 900p and just stretches it to your screen resolution. In addition to this, the pre-rendered cutscenes in the game are choppy on the PC release. The game has been out for a while and there's still no official patch fixing these issues. Instead, Square seems to have just left it for modders to fix.

Ahh for the PC version, PS4 version and it played fairly well.

6 hours ago, QT Melon said:

Ahh for the PC version, PS4 version and it played fairly well.

Ditto. NieR ran like a dream for me and I've been enjoying it so much. ME,... honestly this was such a huge set back from the first one, bugs and glitches aside. I personally can't enjoy it and it'd be a fucking stretch of me to say that this is the best ME of the series. I still think 2 is still the king of the ME series. 

33 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

I still think 2 is still the king of the ME series. 

2 is deffo the highest point of the franchise for me.

Good story, good dialogue, good environments, the powers did what they needed to, the squadmates were the best set, you can romance Garrus,
you go through a fucking wormhole to fight a giant robot flea-human hybrid.

ME2 was great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, QT Melon said:

Horizon Zero Dawn.

Nier Automata

The amount of glitches and bugs were so small, that game came out near perfect.

Getting out Day 1 patches isn't as big of a problem as I know they want to make the ship date. No one said there's nothing bug free either. However, this was an unpolished game that got released, not a game with "Oh there's bugs but we'll get to them ASAP". That isn't defensible. It would be one thing if it was a first person shooter, with uncanny valley going on, but this is a game that is also about interactions.

It's also apples and oranges because most people are comparing ME:A to their previous incarnations more than Bethesda and more often people compare it to the Witcher nowadays because it was launched before ME:A. That and consider the factor that people bash the hell out of the Elder Scrolls MMO, people aren't turning blind eye to Bethesda's failures either.

however, I think this has been covered so many times in this thread, I don't think one should keep banging the same drum and feel that arguing this point is giving more credence..

It still came out more polished than most, keyword MOST, AAA titles. Of course there are some shiners out there like Witcher 3 and HZD. Yes, that is the standard all developers and publishers should be going for.

However ME:A is being completely panned due to something as trivial as day 1 bugs. I'm sorry, but day 1 bugs do NOT ruin what is in all other forms a great game. It doesn't make it a bad game. It makes it a good game with some launch issues.

People are treating ME:A like it was fucking No Man's Sky and it's pretty shitty.

14 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

It still came out more polished than most, keyword MOST, AAA titles. Of course there are some shiners out there like Witcher 3 and HZD. Yes, that is the standard all developers and publishers should be going for.

However ME:A is being completely panned due to something as trivial as day 1 bugs. I'm sorry, but day 1 bugs do NOT ruin what is in all other forms a great game. It doesn't make it a bad game. It makes it a good game with some launch issues.

People are treating ME:A like it was fucking No Man's Sky and it's pretty shitty.

No, please go back and read.

Day 1 actually looked better prepatch.

Most of what this thread has stated over and over again is that the game is not horrible; but OKAY. Like it's a C grade game. In no way have people in this thread said it's like No Man's Sky. But they agree that it shouldn't have been released in the state it was in. Delays or not, and have players pay full price. It wasn't really a 60 dollar experience.

These are very fair criticisms, some people felt the questlines were too much like Dragon Age in Space and were hoping for something different. From what I understand again from thread goers as well as other fans, is that they really are disappointment they couldn't step up from prior games.

I think that's why people are questioning the price tag along with the weirdness. The game fell short on expectations from its previous games, and felt more disappointing because it was on a new platform that should have given them more polish.

I believe the major gripe is it wasn't worth buying at launch, but to wait a bit till they fix the more glaring issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QT Melon said:

People were mostly outraged with ME:3 for its ending rather than full game play. The biggest reason it left a sour note with people was that it was such a big investment that ended with a kaleidoscope for an ending. 

ME:3 had completely abysmal story-writing throughout the entire game. It also took what was a tactical-based third person shooter series and turned it into nothing more than a cover-based over-the-shoulder with abilities you could occasionally use. At least in Andromeda you can move around with some ease and actually stand on almost any surface you can see/reach. I was sick of Mass Effect's whole "you're snapped to the ground and have to follow our set path" motif. Andromeda did a great job of breaking it.

Mass Effect 3 is by far the worst in the series all around, not just for the crummy ending. Andromeda was a MASSIVE step forward in my opinion, and I hope all this bad publicity isn't going to automatically ruin the chances for a sequel. I'm finally excited for the Mass Effect series again, but the internet seems to want to tear this game to the ground before it gets a chance to fix the problems and make up for the mistakes.

9 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

No.

This game beat Mass Effect 3 in every goddamn way possible, even at launch.

GameMetacritic

Mass Effect(X360) 91[84]
(PC) 89[85]
(PS3) 85[86]

Mass Effect 2(X360) 96[87]
(PC) 94[88]
(PS3) 94[89]

Mass Effect 3(X360) 93[90]
(PS3) 93[91]
(PC) 89[92]
(WIIU) 85[93]

Mass Effect: Andromeda(XONE) 77[94]
(PC) 73[95]
(PS4) 70[96]

The story of the game has been described by GameSpot as having problems that "stem more from delivery than from plot", with the vast majority of characters being described as dull. IGN also noted that the plot of Andromeda touched upon some of the same central concepts that were used in the original trilogy.[102] The dialogue agency compared to the previous games has been described as only "superficially different". The combat has been described as an improvement in Mass Effect: Andromeda, though the crafting system has been said[103] to be tedious and made so in part due to the clumsy user interface. 

I dunno, it has the lowest scores out of the entire series. And it's not just the bugs and animations. The game is, all said and done, considered to be just "Average." 

The MAXIMUM I've seen anyone give this game is an 8/10 with the most common scores being 6's and 7's. While those aren't necessarily bad, they are underwhelming. 

• Like 1

It was interesting to note friends playing this game, many of them simply enjoy it for being a Mass Effect game and will overlook its shortcomings simply because they wanted a Mass Effect game to exist for current gen.

What I did notice are things more subtle. For example the romance options.Female friends playing this game, simply like "dating an alien" so they often went for that option or to see who they could bang. What was interesting is that they didn't seem to have any other investment in the characters, where they did in prior installments. What I mean is they'd go into lengthy conversations about Garrus obviously showing how much they invested in him and enjoyed his interactions, personality and so forth. Where in the case of Jaal was more that he particularly did a specific sex act..*ahem* girls enjoy. That's not to say they haven't spoken of Jaal favorably in other instances but it was often fan service than seemingly actual investment in his character. Granted, there is only one of the Andromeda series versus original Mass Effect, but I do remember friends still talking at length about certain character interactions and not just the fact you can bang an alien.

I do know that that all of my friends however, are enjoying the hell out of multiplayer most of all.

9 minutes ago, QT Melon said:

It was interesting to note friends playing this game, many of them simply enjoy it for being a Mass Effect game and will overlook its shortcomings simply because they wanted a Mass Effect game to exist for current gen.

What I did notice are things more subtle. For example the romance options.Female friends playing this game, simply like "dating an alien" so they often went for that option or to see who they could bang. What was interesting is that they didn't seem to have any other investment in the characters, where they did in prior installments. What I mean is they'd go into lengthy conversations about Garrus obviously showing how much they invested in him and enjoyed his interactions, personality and so forth. Where in the case of Jaal was more that he particularly did a specific sex act..*ahem* girls enjoy. That's not to say they haven't spoken of Jaal favorably in other instances but it was often fan service than seemingly actual investment in his character. Granted, there is only one of the Andromeda series versus original Mass Effect, but I do remember friends still talking at length about certain character interactions and not just the fact you can bang an alien.

I do know that that all of my friends however, are enjoying the hell out of multiplayer most of all.

Actually this is pretty similar to my experience.

There are only a few people I know who thought the game was amazing and most of them were girls who didn't have anything to say about the game aside from discussing the romances. Most people I know who aren't concerned about romance thought the game was just "ok." Being that I'm, at best, neutral on romance in video games, extensive romance and companion quests aren't going to be a big selling point for me and when people make it seem like those elements are the game's highlight then I have no incentive to buy the game. 

Also, I know everyone loves Jaal, but on all levels, physical, personality, heck even just accent/speech pattern, he's just not my thing. I do kind of wonder if he's as popular as he is because he's the shiny new alien and he has the most detailed love scene. 

Vetra 4-ever

On 4/14/2017 at 4:47 PM, Red Lion said:

I dunno, it has the lowest scores out of the entire series. And it's not just the bugs and animations. The game is, all said and done, considered to be just "Average." 

Maybe you should read up where I said I meant actual quality, not paid reviews and ratings. Might help you out.

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

Vetra 4-ever

Maybe you should read up where I said I meant quality, not ratings. Might help you out.

The ratings are a reflection of what people thought of the overall quality. They're literally the average summed up out of multiple reviews. I've seen way more people state that the game is "just ok" or "Decent" than I have people raving that it's the best of the series. 

5 hours ago, Red Lion said:

The ratings are a reflection of what people thought of the overall quality. They're literally the average summed up out of multiple reviews. I've seen way more people state that the game is "just ok" or "Decent" than I have people raving that it's the best of the series. 

Actually websites like IGN, Gamespot, and Gamereviews all give higher reviews to companies that pay them more for their reviews. Seems to me like EA just couldn't give a damn about the game from the start.

3 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Actually websites like IGN, Gamespot, and Gamereviews all give higher reviews to companies that pay them more for their reviews. Seems to me like EA just couldn't give a damn about the game from the start.

User score distribution:

Positive:1,073out of 2708

Mixed:291out of 2708

Negative:1,344

Based on user reviews on Meta Critic. Reviewers stated that the game feels repetitive, the writing is cheesy and it suffers from a quantity over quality issue. Critics actually rated it MORE FAVORABLY than users did. Maybe you found the game to be amazing but it seems like most other people didn't. Even just going around the internet the general response to this game has been a lukewarm "meh" with people who really like it mostly only commenting on the romances. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished this yesterday. Took me almost 70 hours and I'd be lying if I said I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. Despite some glitchy facial animation stuff and the story feeling a little juvenile at times, it's another awesome game in a sublime franchise. I get the lukewarm response though, since it's not on par with the original trilogy, but that's setting the bar pretty high.

They should have ended Mass Effect 3 with the Reapers destroying everything. Would have made more sense, would have made the transition to Andromeda a lot smoother and cooler. Not to mention that crappy ending would have been averted. Kind of feels like they wish they'd done that, too, with the way the whole "Ryder family secrets"-thing ends up toying with the idea of people in Andromeda thinking the Milky Way's dead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, feraleks said:

Just finished this yesterday. Took me almost 70 hours and I'd be lying if I said I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. Despite some glitchy facial animation stuff and the story feeling a little juvenile at times, it's another awesome game in a sublime franchise. I get the lukewarm response though, since it's not on par with the original trilogy, but that's setting the bar pretty high.

They should have ended Mass Effect 3 with the Reapers destroying everything. Would have made more sense, would have made the transition to Andromeda a lot smoother and cooler. Not to mention that crappy ending would have been averted. Kind of feels like they wish they'd done that, too, with the way the whole "Ryder family secrets"-thing ends up toying with the idea of people in Andromeda thinking the Milky Way's dead.

Especially since we never learned who is the "benefactor" was with some folks guessing it was probably the illusive man as Andromeda takes place between ME2 and ME3.