Something I've noticed in our community

Sidewalk Surfboard

Speaking personally, I tolerate most furries, even the ones that are open regarding sexuality, kinks, roleplaying etc etc. for the sheer fact that a personal philosophy of mine is you can do whatever you want, as long as you aren't hurting anyone. If you wanna be a yiffy horny furry go ahead - just respect my boundaries and understand that I'm not that kind of guy.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Wax said:

Speaking personally, I tolerate most furries, even the ones that are open regarding sexuality, kinks, roleplaying etc etc. for the sheer fact that a personal philosophy of mine is you can do whatever you want, as long as you aren't hurting anyone. If you wanna be a yiffy horny furry go ahead - just respect my boundaries and understand that I'm not that kind of guy.

Mr. Peanutbutter knows what's up

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be honest with myself here, and I'm pretty sure everyone here knows it already, but I was, and still am to an extent, one of those murrypurry furries who didn't know how to personal space.It's also a reason why I think more-than-a-few people on here dislike me or hold me with a disinterest because of how I was, and, occasionally, how I still am. Mostly, I just keep it to my close friends now, who don't mind me doing a bit more of the actiony stuff. I'm very much a proponent of actions speaking louder than words sometimes, so I do tend to slip into a sort of rp-ie thing when it comes to like hugging or something innocent and not sexual that friends do irl.

Over the years, I've just gotten really tired of doing random sex RP with random furries. I really only do it with people I'm close to, or if there's going to be story attached to it. On the art side of things, I still really enjoy the art, and it and the people I've met through furry are really what keeps me in the fandom. It's kind of the opposite that I had with the Ace Attorney fandom, MY art wasn't really anything special there, and I didn't make many close friends from there, so I ended up leaving it for a while. I do get the topics of the art being samey at times and certain profiles just being huge advertisements, but I generally don't find many qualms with the latter. They have a product, and they're trying to sell it to make a living. I'm still kind of a whore for a good furry story, but honestly, I just like stories no matter what species the characters are.

The ones who do talk a lot about sex I actual don't mind until they do start going weird. I can talk about fetishes or whatever because I'm a pretty open person in private, which I think is a key word many furries forget. I do have my limits though, and I make sure that boundaries are established now. Honestly, I think I just stopped caring about the furry aspect of things, despite it being the binds that tie us, and more about the person under the mask.

• Like 1

The RPing in casual chat thing isn't exclusive to furries. Way back when I used avatar sites it was a problem there too.  IRL I hate being hugged or touched by people I'm not close to and that sense of wanting personal space carries over to my online interactions and sometimes RP did carry on to a point that made me uncomfortable. I don't actually think RPing in casual convo is an issue in itself. The real problem is when people are TOLD by the other party it's not welcome and they refuse to stop. 

I think you should be whatever type you want as long as you stay aware of other people's boundries. I don't encourage familiarity from people I barely know so I tolerate it even less than most. But to some extent that is MY issue and it's as much on me to tolerate other people as it is on them to understand and tolerate me. It's really not that hard to have a standard for mutual respect. Don't be an asshole to someone who doesn't mean any harm, don't keep doing things you were asked not to do. I think for the most part this forum tries to operate that way.

On another note. I like this community because it's a rare place where I don't feel like an extra fringe member. I also feel a good deal "safer" here than I have on other sites. I tried a brony site once and got spammed with gross sexual requests from people who had never met me. It got so bad that my friend and I made a thread about it and we were basically told "Well this site allows nsfw so you consented to getting solicited just by being here." And even on the FA site I get art requests from people who shove their kinks at me without even asking. Phoenix actually feels more mature and adult oriented for not encouraging that kind of behavior that those other sites did. Sometimes I just want to talk to other adults about things I enjoy. Being an adult doesn't automatically mean I'm ok with random people getting sexual with me. I don't want to feel like I need to hide on the fringe and bury myself in anonymity just to avoid being harassed which is a real problem on a lot of fan sites and the fact that it's not a problem here is one of the things I appreciate the most about Phoenix.

I can lurk in the Red Lantern and even post there if I feel like it. But I'm allowed to do that at MY pace and MY comfort level. That's actually something really important that a lot of fandoms don't even consider. 

• Like 9

• 7 months later...

Something I've noticed in our community: Furry's always had a huge brain drain problem where most of it's members - especially the stable, smart, somewhat talented, and otherwise neurotypical ones - "age out" around 30 or so. I used to think it was because they get tired of all the shocking subsurface nastiness and roiling immaturity, but it could also just as easily be a consequence of your average person getting significantly less Horney by that point in their life.

• Like 2

^^^There could be lots of explanations for that phenomenon, and may not be due to any one thing.

People may feel they no longer connect well with the youngsters, may get tired of the kiddie drama, may just get bored with the same-old same-old, and/or may just not have time to participate in the fandom because they're focused on their family and/or career.

Echoing Red Lion and some other folks, I absolutely appreciate being able to talk about or allude to sex without people assuming that I'm automatically hot to trot.

• Thanks 1