PS3 emulation is now a viable thing

TrishaCat

RPCS3, a PS3 emulator, has gotten to a point where a good number of games are actually playable to varying degrees of success. While the emulator had been making fast progress, much like Cemu was for Breath of the Wild, RPCS3 has made incredible amounts of progress in a short period of time with the release of Persona 5. Here are some examples of its progress. 

Persona 5:

Odin Sphere Leifthresir:

Catherine:

So much for the power of the Cell. Apparently when the PS3 was first coming out Sony was marketing the Cell as being so complex and unique that people joked that it'd be impossible for PS3 emulation to ever be a thing, and yet...Here it is!

There's still a lot of major games that aren't playable in any way though. For example, MGS4 won't even boot up, and Nier still has significant issues. But this fast progress is astounding. Anyone else hyped for the future of PS3 preservation?

3 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Gotta wonder what limitations are making some games so hard to play.

I figure it's small quirks in the programming and awkward workarounds. 

IIRC the cell processor the PS3 used was a rather powerful 6 core affair (technically there are 8 cores but one is reserved for the OS to use and one is disabled for some reason.) but programming things for it was very difficult, more so than the 360 and wii (which are PowerPC things)

I think the difficulty working with it is why Sony went with the x86-64 architecture with the PS4, I don't think the cell architecture was very successful beyond the PS3.

It reminds me of the issues those intel Itanium fancy CPUs (made just for servers) had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

Emulators are against the law

Wrong

Emulators have been defended as being totally legal in the court of law several times, including but not limited to the case of Sony v. Bleem

PS3 has nothing but shitty weeb games save

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots, Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game, inFamous 1+2, Sonic Unleashed, Resistance 1-3, Little Big Planet 1-3, Sly 4, Journey, and El Shaddai: Ascension of the Mettatron to name a few. I don't think you could call any of those games weeb games either, and even beyond that there's still plenty of genuinely great weeb games worth saving. Nier, Drakengard 3, Asura's Wrath, and Dragon's Crown for example. I might even argue Atelier Arland trilogy, Atelier Dusk trilogy, Tales of Xillia 1-2, and J-Stars Victory VS.

Nier is the game that most needs to be saved though

7 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Wrong

Emulators have been defended as being totally legal in the court of law several times, including but not limited to the case of Sony v. BleemMetal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots, Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game, inFamous 1+2, Sonic Unleashed,

>Good games.

But anyways, Advertising an emulator and showing a game that came out a month ago is pretty bad.

legal.png

>Good games.

But anyways, Advertising an emulator and showing a game that came out a month ago is pretty bad.

legal.png

>Nintendo

They claim emulation is illegal and bad whilst using emulators to run their own roms that they themselves downloaded off of the internet (as discovered from an iNES header being on a Super Mario Bros. ROM sold on their eshop) to sell back to you.

Also its entirely within the realm of possibility to rip your own game ISOs, and to expand upon that, in many cases even emulate games right off of the disc. (I am not currently aware if RPCS3 has this feature, but I know that ePSXe, PCSX2, and Dolphin all have such a feature.  There is no need to pirate Persona 5 to play it on RPCS3. You do not need to pirate in order to emulate games, and furthermore, showing a game running on an emulator is not encouragement to go and pirate said game, but rather, a way to show off an emulator's progress. Persona 5 is a pretty big game; RPCS3 being able to run it (with obvious bugs and framerate issues) is extremely impressive and shows just how far along the progress and work programmers have come in writing and creating this emulator. Demonizing emulation as illegal when its not is bad; its precisely why the video game industry is so far behind when it comes to offering re-releases of older video games. Whereas the movie industry can constantly re-release old movies on DVD and Bluray, video games, due to their complicated nature, make this difficult, and not every game can viably have ports or remasters made for them. The demonization of emulators makes companies scared of them, making re-releases of games less likely. Such is all explained in this video by one of the people that worked on the Mega Man Legacy Collection:

This video talks about the legality of emulators, as well as why emulators are important. I realize this is a very long video, but its absolutely worth the chunk of time put into it as its a very, VERY informative video with regards to the state of this industry. You'll also find that even emulators that were running modern games at the time of their creation (such as an emulator that could run Ocarina of Time very soon after the game's release) were all defended in court as being legal. Sony v. Connectix was one such case (and while it says Sony, they were also backed by Nintendo and SEGA at the time). That case also had the effect of making it possible for publishers to republish their software in places that aren't the original console of release.

Please, trust me when I say emulation is completely legal and even showing off games being emulated is legal, as such was decided as being fit under fair use (once again, in a court case in which an emulator advertised other modern games being playable on it using pictures. And the emulator in that case was being sold as a product if I'm right). Demonizing emulation and calling it illegal when it isn't holds the industry back.

• Like 3