Super steampunk q&a

Caledonian

With the influenes of all those "AmA" topics i thought to do something similar, but with a topic i am a self proclaimed expert in. ;)

I may not be able to answer all questions (because i am not g.d. fawksen claiming i can strictly define steampunk) but i will surely try!

Ask me Anything...about steampunk!

Not sure if this goes here or the blackhole so mods, please move it to the appropriate place if it's placed wrong.

• Like 1

What time period(s) is steampunk supposed to be based off of and what historical elements are referenced in steampunk? Or is it just an aesthetic?

Are there any famous stories or works of fiction that incorporate steampunk?

Is bioshock a steampunk?

13 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

What is the finest piece of Steampunk art (physically crafted or digital) you've come across?

It's hard to pick one, but I'm very fond of master maets's works

http://thesteamemporium.com/maets-gallery

13 hours ago, Zerig said:

why is cyberpunk way cooler than steampunk?

:^)

Because we are steamin' hot.

Also because layered clothing with the leather and brass that make up most steampunk outfits are really warm.

Coming around to answer more later :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

What time period(s) is steampunk supposed to be based off of and what historical elements are referenced in steampunk? Or is it just an aesthetic?

Steampunk is based on the age of steam. The worldwide period of industriallisation after the invention of the steam engine. That means,Roughly, 1770 to 1920. It is also often linked to the victorian era in britain, though edwardian steampunk happens as well. 

9 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Are there any famous stories or works of fiction that incorporate steampunk?

Most famous are probably wild wild west and steamboy. The golden compass also has steampunk elements.

10 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Is bioshock a steampunk?

I don't know enough about bioshock to answer this question

7 hours ago, Vitaly said:

Can I get cholera, tuberculosis and typhus from casual contact with steampunk fans?

No, most of us are vaccinated.

We are steampunks, not victorian reanacters. 

7 hours ago, Vitaly said:

Also, if I use Steam, can I call myself a steampunk?

Only if you are a punk.

7 hours ago, Gator said:

how do y'all cook bacon

Flamethrowers.

Alternatively, just slap it onto your home boiler and wait until it starts chizzling.

7 hours ago, Fossa said:

Are mohawks required?

No, the various hats will flatten them anyway. Though if you want to rock a mohawk I'm sure you can figure out a way to incorporate it in a period costume

44 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Steampunk uses a lot of gears, right? Does that mean that this is steampunk?

Notice there is a "steam" in "steampunk". Now clockwork can be considered steampunk as well, but just using gears doesn't inherently make something qualify as steampunk. It's too off period.

46 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Alternatively, how do you feel about steampunk being inferior to dieselpunk?

199350_Front_3-4_Web.png.2a0627adff422d62e058a72cdf090b1e.png

That would make me a bit sad, if it were the case. Luckily it isn't. the dieselpunks are still militaristic pleps.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

What is the finest piece of Steampunk art (physically crafted or digital) you've come across?

As an aside, this is MY favourite piece of Steampunk Art.

Why? Because it's the DIFFERENCE ENGINE, Baby! :D

It's fully functional too, I've seen it running.

(Incidentally, 'the Difference Engine' is also a famous work of Steampunk fiction.)

6241764400_IMG_0178.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fennecbyte said:

Why have nuclear or coal-powered coffee makers when you can have an IoT coffee maker to DoS your entire network from the inside?

Because I'm not sure I want the entire Internet knowing my coffee-drinking habits. You know that data is going to be used to spam you with coffee adverts.

Speaking of steam, steam in plant processes can be crazy, especially with the way boilers are put together and the amount of energy they can put into steam. If a high pressure superheated steam line happens to rupture nearby while your working near it and you're not already dead, the only thing you can do is stop and stand still. You can't see it but you can definitely hear it. Back in the day, rescuers used to try and get to you while holding a 2x4 in front of them. If the 2x4 got cut in half, then they'd know that there's steam leaking where they're headed. Nowadays there's better methods to handle things like that, namely having entire systems dedicated to safely ESD a boiler as well as proper isolation procedures.

Wet steam can be a hazard of course, but you can see it for one thing, and it doesn't have nearly as much energy as dry superheated steam.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-5-19 at 8:17 AM, Wrecker said:

Speaking of steam, steam in plant processes can be crazy, especially with the way boilers are put together and the amount of energy they can put into steam. If a high pressure superheated steam line happens to rupture nearby while your working near it and you're not already dead, the only thing you can do is stop and stand still. You can't see it but you can definitely hear it. Back in the day, rescuers used to try and get to you while holding a 2x4 in front of them. If the 2x4 got cut in half, then they'd know that there's steam leaking where they're headed. Nowadays there's better methods to handle things like that, namely having entire systems dedicated to safely ESD a boiler as well as proper isolation procedures.

Wet steam can be a hazard of course, but you can see it for one thing, and it doesn't have nearly as much energy as dry superheated steam.

Wow...

That was...educational.