Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Red Lion

Free Produce

17 posts in this topic

I just got a gallon crate of fresh strawberries, a bundle of rhubarb, 2 heads of lettuce, a bag of onions, a bag of green beans and a bundle of leeks from an old guy and his wife. I was not expecting that. I helped them harvest about a week ago and today they showed up at my house with a bunch of stuff as a thank you. I've had a cold all of yesterday and today so this brightened my mood immensely. Especially the leeks, I fuckin' love leeks they make everything taste good....also I foresee homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie in my future. Woot. 

14 people like this

Well that's nice of them! Real fruits of your labor, hmm?

I've never tried rhubarb. How is it? Do you have a recipe for this pie?

1 person likes this

Just now, DrGravitas said:

Well that's nice of them! Real fruits of your labor, hmm?

I've never tried rhubarb. How is it? Do you have a recipe for this pie?

rhubarb is good, sour on its own but it adds a tartness to the pie. And I don't have a specific recipe, I don't normally cook with one, but I can give you some sound estimates for ingredients and you can pray I'm good at translating eye-ball measurements. 

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Red Lion said:

rhubarb is good, sour on its own but it adds a tartness to the pie. And I don't have a specific recipe, I don't normally cook with one, but I can give you some sound estimates for ingredients and you can pray I'm good at translating eye-ball measurements. 

Doesn't matter how good your estimates are, I'm still going to burn down my kitchen and/or create an abomination. Fire away!

I'm glad we have a couple of raves on this sub-forum recently. Fresh fruits and veggies, especially free ones are tight.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Red Lion said:

I've never actually had rhubarb before, because I'm a heathen to southern cuisine. I do enjoy tart things tho

Just now, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I've never actually had rhubarb before, because I'm a heathen to southern cuisine. I do enjoy tart things tho

You MUST try rhubarb custard. Best served warm and with vanilla dressing

1 person likes this

Rhubarb is awesome if a bit sour. The forced sort (made to grow in sheds) is sweet instead and less stringy but I don't think you can get it outside the UK.

It will grow more or less anywhere that gets cold on occasion.

Sounds like a good deal. Some years our neighbors give us some extra vegetables from the garden, and we'll do the same. A mysterious bag of food left by you door is always a nice surprise.

Also, I too am interested in any rhubarb recipes you may or may not have.

Good ingredients, and it's friggin' awesome when people go out of their way to say thanks! I can't remember the last time I had rhubarb pie.

I just love when people spend the time to figure that they had to do something to show they appreciate the help.

It's fuck all to help out, and thanks is well worth it, but when they stop by and give ya something just cause they figured they should, it's an all-around feel-good thing

1 person likes this

If you have a cold, you can make like a root vegetable soup or something with those leeks too (among some other veggies ofc). I've always found they  make me feel better when I have a cold.

21 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Don't worry sonny, Now that you've been adopted by Gator and myself we'll make sure you get a good southern education. 

21 hours ago, Snagged said:

You MUST try rhubarb custard. Best served warm and with vanilla dressing

I have never heard of this. Now I'm interested.

18 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Rhubarb is awesome if a bit sour. The forced sort (made to grow in sheds) is sweet instead and less stringy but I don't think you can get it outside the UK.

It will grow more or less anywhere that gets cold on occasion.

There's a kind of rhubarb that isn't sour???? D:

18 hours ago, willow said:

I've never had rhubarb before because it sounds like something only old people eat :v

It is. It is a delicious old people food that makes delicious old people pies which old people like myself will not share with whippersnappers. >8[

15 hours ago, Wrecker said:

Good ingredients, and it's friggin' awesome when people go out of their way to say thanks! I can't remember the last time I had rhubarb pie.

I just love when people spend the time to figure that they had to do something to show they appreciate the help.

It's fuck all to help out, and thanks is well worth it, but when they stop by and give ya something just cause they figured they should, it's an all-around feel-good thing

Same. The couple are quite old and they can't really do much farm work anymore so sometimes my friends and I will go and lend a hand. They're nice folks and I'm more than happy to help them but it's nice to be shown appreciation too. 

11 hours ago, Wax said:

If you have a cold, you can make like a root vegetable soup or something with those leeks too (among some other veggies ofc). I've always found they  make me feel better when I have a cold.

That is an excellent idea. When I'm sick all I really want to eat is soup so I'll definitely do that later. 

2 people like this

That is seriously awesome, fresh produce is like the best.

Also I'm a heathen that eats raw rhubarb for yummy fun.

1 person likes this