Rant: Small country towns in the middle of nowhere

TrishaCat

I don't know how much more I can take this.

I'm at home for the summer without internet and without satellite/cable television, living in the outskirts of a town with a population of 2000, am a grown fucking man with no car or even a driver's license, and am surrounded by nothing but elderly people. There are no friends I know that live anywhere close to here. The only people I see are my parents, a couple relatives, and people at church, where almost all of them are 40+, with my parents being 60+. There's no one my age to hang out with or spend time with. I'm all alone, trapped with no access to the outside world. Its driving me mad.

I have such a dependence upon my parents for everything, and believe me, I love them. I really do. They're even offering me their car once I finish school. But I still have a year ahead of me. That's not going to help me now. I'm trapped and as much as I love playing video games and watching whatever animu I have, I can't take this anymore. I had a vehicle but it broke down shortly after I got it and I had a mechanic basically tell me that I need to buy a new fucking engine. A FUCKING ENGINE

I'M TRAPPED IN THIS SMALL FUCKING TOWN WITHOUT ANY ACCESS TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ONE MY AGE THAT I CAN EASILY RELATE TO AND I HATE IT

I HATE IT

MAKE THIS FUCKING STOP

The worst part is is that after posting this, should this thread get any replies, I'm not going to fucking see them for a few days. My only access to the outside world are visits to McDonald's and I sure as hell can't go there every day and spend a very long time at them. I'm only posting this because I need to rant and get this out and its not like I can say this stuff to my parents because it makes them feel like shit since they know they can't do anything to help me and I know that too. I don't want to make them feel bad for something they have no control over.

I hate this

I want to go back to school. Back to civilization where I have high speed internet and am walking distance away from several shops and lots and lots of students my age. Its still May and I don't go back to school for 3 months. I have to deal with 3 months of this.

I know I’m going off on a tangent but y’know how I had hyped up that video game Nier Automata for so long and how it finally came out? I can’t even play it. I wasn’t able to play it after the last update it received since I had school to attend to at the time and now that I’m at home with no internet, due to the DRM Square placed on it, I can’t play the game. It needs to access the internet to verify that I fucking own the current build of the game. I CAN’T PLAY THE FUCKING GAME THAT I PAID MONEY FOR

VIDEO GAMES ARE ONE OF THE FEW PIECES OF FUN I HAVE ACCESS TO OUT HERE AND I CAN’T FUCKING PLAY A GAME I PAID MONEY FOR THAT I WAS SO EXCITED TO GET

Please get me out of this hick town in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. A town so small that it only within the past few years got its first McDonald's built in it. A town with no movie theaters, no stores larger than a Dollar General. Not a single piece of entertainment. You have to travel a whole city away which is about a 30 minute drive just to find anything of value. Why would anyone ever choose to live in such a place? What value is there in such a small town? Its not like there are jobs to acquire here. Its not like there is anything major close by. Its just nothing.  I'm dying of boredom here.

Please let this summer end so I can leave this awful town.

….

I apologize for the excessive use of all caps and foul language. Under normal circumstances I would refrain from using them, but I felt in this instance it was the best way to vent my frustrations in a way that conveys how I feel.

• Like 5

This is the reason why small towns and villages are slowly but surely getting deserted as the young people like you move in the big cities where services, jobs and education are readibly accesible. And that is completely fine.

What I can say is hang on, finish your education and move out whenever you feel you're ready. In the meantime, you could consider going outdoors more often. It doesn't have to be anything special, a walk in the woods for example is very relaxing. But if you live in the middle of vast cornfields, then I don't know what to advice. Maybe you could try different sports, like bicycling to kill some time and keep you fit? Or you could learn some sort of craftsmanship that interests you. There are many things to at least try out and if your head hammers nothing in the idea deparment, you could ask your parents or people around you.

58 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

What value is there in such a small town?

The same value which is the exact reason your small town is filled with elderly people; It's a quiet and peaceful place away from the busy cities and I feel only the elders of today and some large families respect such qualities in a town like yours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

I'M TRAPPED IN THIS SMALL FUCKING TOWN WITHOUT ANY ACCESS TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ONE MY AGE THAT I CAN EASILY RELATE TO AND I HATE IT

Here's an interesting twist.

Consider that the deeper you go into civilization (from the outskirts of the remotest village into the heart of the biggest city) the further encapsulated you are in this industrial-made bubble that we've created for ourselves, and the further away you are from the world outside that bubble (the outside world).

That being said, having no internet sucks :/

Oh my gosh.
This sounds like a (minor) form of hell.

Hope you find something to do to pass the time.
I'd recommend picking up some books. They're really useful to pass the time and can be really enjoyable, just gotta get over the stumbling block of starting to read them.

• Like 1

You know, this sounds exactly like the entirety of upstate New York.  It's pretty damn terrible.  Diners, bowling alleys and any other entertainment were miles away from each other and usually broken down. Oh, but the churches are on every fucking block.

I know you might not be here to read this, but I hope y.ou can tank your way out of this one because that situation is just horrid.

Your town is twenty times more populated than mine. Otherwise it's pretty much the same, except I have a car (yet I am still isolated.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do on the short term, but getting a driver's license is probably a priority. There may be some advantages you haven't noticed, though, so don't feel too down while you're moving up.

• Like 1

My heart goes out to you. Stay strong.

I live on the outskirts of a "village" with a population of about 50 people. The village doesn't have any, uh... what's the word I'm looking for. Not even a small corner shop or a post office or anything. It has a pub where all the creepy villagers hang out who are all probably somehow related in many different ways, but that's it. We don't live in the village, we live in a rando house somewhere on the hill underneath it. We often get couriers just not delivering stuff to our house because they can't find it. It's a nowhere house (and yet my dad still locks the door when he's inside in case we get robbed...).

So yes I among others here feel your pain and I have a lot of empathy for your situation. I went literally crazy when I had to sit around here with no way of getting out. I could ask my parents for a ride into town, but it's not like they could be at my beck and call all hours of the day, it really sucks to be reliant on people like that). Things got better, SO MUCH BETTER once I was able to drive and get away from here. After that stage, being here for extended periods of time isn't that bad at all. Knowing there's a way out is a comfort. At least we have an internet connection here. it's only 0.4mb/s but it does the job.

• Like 2

I kinda felt the same when I first moved away for uni. The feeling of like, having no friends and feeling like you're going stir crazy in your situation. All I can really say is, with time, I started to feel a lot more comfortable there. These are two very different situations though, but you aren't alone! Stay strong!

I know I'm probably going to get some flak for this, but I'm going to recommend it anyway.

Just pirate the fucking game. Get some nice anti-virus software and pirate it from a reputable cracking team. The legality is questionable at best, but it's not like you're stealing anything from the game company, since you actually own the game. It'll remove the stupid always-online DRM that upper management in game companies thinks is, for some reason, appropriate for a singleplayer experience. It does nothing to stop pirates from cracking the game and it just hinders the playerbase.

Not having access to the Internet for long periods of time sucks. I'm sorry you have to go through that. Hang in there.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 3:13 PM, Snagged said:

The same value which is the exact reason your small town is filled with elderly people; It's a quiet and peaceful place away from the busy cities and I feel only the elders of today and some large families respect such qualities in a town like yours

That's fair; I've been told that this is a retirement community so this seems like the likely answer.

I'm not so surely about the family aspect though; since good jobs aren't really availabe in such small towns, I imagine its difficult to raise a family well, at least not without being financially fairly poor in the process. It also places a burden on the children once they're ready to move out; it makes things significantly more expensive, and since good jobs aren't readily available without traveling it makes gaining the cash necessary to move out also difficult. And if you want to do anything special with your family, once again, you've got to travel. I'm not sure that this is a good environment for families.

11 hours ago, fennecbyte said:

I know I'm probably going to get some flak for this, but I'm going to recommend it anyway.

Just pirate the fucking game. Get some nice anti-virus software and pirate it from a reputable cracking team. The legality is questionable at best, but it's not like you're stealing anything from the game company, since you actually own the game. It'll remove the stupid always-online DRM that upper management in game companies thinks is, for some reason, appropriate for a singleplayer experience. It does nothing to stop pirates from cracking the game and it just hinders the playerbase.

Not having access to the Internet for long periods of time sucks. I'm sorry you have to go through that. Hang in there.

Thanks, though unfortunately this isn't really feasible since like I said, the only available internet access is at small town restaurants here. Also to be fair, the final "main" ending of the game requires internet access for spoiler-y reasons. But yes, the DRM is terrible and just hinders the playerbase.

• Like 1

I used to live in a town the same size. It was... interesting, to say the least. It had damn good internet though and the house I lived in was on the same part of the grid as the bank so power was never out for long during storms.

Notable incidents included one of my high school classmates impersonating a cop to sexually harass people, the town's entire police force getting busted by the FBI, and "Blackie Black".