Rant: How do I keep shit exciting?

DrDingo

I try my best to try new things. To live life for the experience and give things a go to see if I like them.

But when you do this all the time with such enthusiasm, you just set yourself up for disappointment. Time and time again things haven't lived up to expectations and I'm becoming apathetic to anything I have a less-than-great experience with. I feel like I'd be wasting time and money to give them more tries, even if I might like it.

The exciting buzz and charm is fast fading on stuff that once excited me like clubbing, furry events and even sex. It's a vicious cycle that leaves me doubtful about things I should enjoy.

Here's an example- today I went to my first furry con with a friend but we left many hours early because he felt sick and fatigued. He gave me the option to stay, but I went back with him because I wanted to be a good friend and I'd rather not be alone. It left me feeling like I severely missed out after paying upwards of £60, but then I wondered to myself if I really would have enjoyed staying.
Trouble is I know that it'll have unfairly hurt my view on conventions and I won't be able to approach them with the same interest again

tl;dr- I get put off stuff too easily and it's making life feel stale and boring when I want the opposite
what do

Not sure, man, but I'm coming down with some similar stuff in regards to things like movies, video games, comic books, and even music. Little less extreme than actual events I guess, but still annoying. It was nice when I wasn't so cynical and could just enjoy shit for what it is.

• Like 1

Can't keep yourself excited always, you'd wear yourself out and be bored at the same time. As disappointing as it sounds, every adventure has to end with you coming back home to mundanity for a while before you can start again. Maybe lay off those specific things that have put you off for a while and look for something you haven't considered yet. Bonus points if you drag a friend along. That always makes things better.

• Like 6

How do you keep things exciting?  This one is easy.  Remember this my furry friends; nothing that is worth doing is ever easy.  The greatest reward comes from the greatest struggle.  If you want to feel true life you MUST have the chance to fail. Now go out there and try again, only harder. 

• Like 1

As you said, doing exciting things all the time takes away the fun and excitement of trying new things. My suggestion would be to not do everything and just take some time to relax. Also consider that sometimes in trying something new and unfamiliar, you may not always have the best experience with it the first time

10 hours ago, DrDingo said:

He gave me the option to stay, but I went back with him because I wanted to be a good friend and I'd rather not be alone. It left me feeling like I severely missed out after paying upwards of £60, but then I wondered to myself if I really would have enjoyed staying.

Well that depends. Going to cons is a lot more fun if you go with a friend or a group, but sometimes walking around by yourself can be equally as enjoyable if there's things of interest you wanna go see/do

• Like 2

5 hours ago, willow said:

As you said, doing exciting things all the time takes away the fun and excitement of trying new things. My suggestion would be to not do everything and just take some time to relax. Also consider that sometimes in trying something new and unfamiliar, you may not always have the best experience with it the first time

Well that depends. Going to cons is a lot more fun if you go with a friend or a group, but sometimes walking around by yourself can be equally as enjoyable if there's things of interest you wanna go see/do

Yeah, you're right. Sometimes I do try things again, but generally I need to lower my expectations because I always expect more than I get from things. For now, chilling out sounds pretty good.

You know, I hadn't considered that. One time I was alone most of the day at Comic Con but it was really good because I could go all the places I wanted. My friend wasn't a furry nor into it, so my inhibitions stopped me from doing a lot of things I would have done. Calling it a day when he decided to leave might've been a pretty bad call, seeing as the day's main events hadn't even started yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Not in the grim dark of the far future he didn't. So obviously a temporary victory.

Different universe, and the 40k version of Slaanesh is screwed with Ynnead around.

Winds of magic being much more influential than the warp, the multiversal Slaanesh presumably lost of his power.

The simplest way to keep your life exciting is to place yourself into situations and places where interesting things can reasonably occur. There is little potential for the unexpected inside of our normal routines.

Also, try walking in shallow rivers for a few miles. Grab some swimming shoes and make a day of it, it's hella fun.

• Like 2

Things loose their meaning if you overdo them. Exciting things are no longer exciting if you do them too frequently. You need some mundane and boring things in your life to offset that to make those exciting moments feel special, something out of ordinary.

• Like 1

On 2017-05-28 at 6:12 PM, Fantasma said:

Also, try walking in shallow rivers for a few miles. Grab some swimming shoes and make a day of it, it's hella fun.

Recommending this so much. I use to go upstream of a creek with our dog and we'd find wicked fish and junk.  Super calming. 😁

But yeah, what Fanta & Snagged said sums up my thoughts too. Also not setting your expectations overly high to begin with. Better to be surprised than let down!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Moogle said:

Recommending this so much. I use to go upstream of a creek with our dog and we'd find wicked fish and junk.  Super calming. 😁

But yeah, what Fanta & Snagged said sums up my thoughts too. Also not setting your expectations overly high to begin with. Better to be surprised than let down!

Walking outside in nature is usually good. Apart from that:

59821798.jpg

• Like 1

Well my life is fairly exciting, and I just work too much for the most part.

I dont get bored easily when doing stuff I like, people tend to get jaded so easily but the world is an exciting place. Everyone's too busy going and looking at the big picture, sometimes it's nice to stop and stare at a blade of grass or an ant crawling on the ground or an amorphous spot on the ceiling. Be creative with life, and it's okay to do what makes you feel good all the time. Is there anything you don't get tired of? Games? Movies? Music?

I never get tired of my pets, my songs, drawing, furries, going on walks, stuff like that. It's always the same, but at the same time it's always different. It's best not to overthink things and enjoy something for what it is.

• 3 weeks later...