E3 2017

yell0wf0x

Overall I think Nintendo won E3 with Microsoft a little behind them, but I was overall unimpressed by E3, minus the two Metroid announcements. I'm not much of a Metroid fan though, its just more of a surprise than anything. The best news to come out of these past few days wasn't even shown off at E3:

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/hackg-u-last-recode-remaster-collection-announced-ps4-pc

The .hack//GU trilogy is getting a remaster on PC and PS4! Why Bamco wouldn't even talk about this is beyond me. For the first time in a while CC2 is working on a project that isn't a licensed anime game. Ni No Kuni II, Code Vein, and Ace Combat 7 all look cool but this one is the winner for me

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

How does it compare to AM2R?

AM2R was a remake, albeit in a Zero Mission style.

Samus Returns, while being a remake, just feels new, period.

I would just call them different experiences entirely. Good in their own ways for different reasons.

8 hours ago, Vae said:

AM2R was a remake, albeit in a Zero Mission style.

Samus Returns, while being a remake, just feels new, period.

I would just call them different experiences entirely. Good in their own ways for different reasons.

This game is a lot harder than AM2R, that's for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vae said:

Zetas are pretty easy if you just grapple beam them off the ceiling and then spam super missiles.

Omegas are a fucking war of attrition.

Reveal hidden contents

Also fuck the diggernaut robot.

They die fast, but the dodging until they actually get onto the ceiling was more than I was expecting.

37 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

They die fast, but the dodging until they actually get onto the ceiling was more than I was expecting.

Oh the dodging's a lot more involved than it is for the alphas and gammas.
The dodging in this game is a lot more involved in I think any Metroid I've played up until this point.

Just gotta get used to the patterns and shit.

I will give this game a lot of credit. Having you fight the same things over and over again, and going from having your shit handed to you, to wiping the floor with them, gives you a huge feeling of progression.
You're getting good at the game, and it's showing you that you're doing it.

51 minutes ago, Vae said:

Oh the dodging's a lot more involved than it is for the alphas and gammas.
The dodging in this game is a lot more involved in I think any Metroid I've played up until this point.

Just gotta get used to the patterns and shit.

I will give this game a lot of credit. Having you fight the same things over and over again, and going from having your shit handed to you, to wiping the floor with them, gives you a huge feeling of progression.
You're getting good at the game, and it's showing you that you're doing it.

Despite how I feel about Lords of Shadow, I think Mercury Stream's experience in character action games like that really really shines here. The influence from the fluid parry to the, as you say, involved battles really can only come from a studio that has specialized primarily in that. It's a really good blend.

• Like 1

Aside from Red Brinstar making a comeback, I haven't been too impressed with this game's music.

HOLD THE FUCK UP THOUGH.

(Didn't think this needed a spoiler, because it's not even the name of the location in the game proper.)

I liked the combat, boss design, and gameplay in Samus Returns a lot more than AM2R.

That being said, I liked the environments and music a lot better in AM2R.

Shame that Ninty can't just pull that dev in and make a combined holy grail of 2D Metroid, but that's life I suppose.

32 minutes ago, Vae said:

That being said, I liked the environments and music a lot better in AM2R.

That's the only thing I think I liked more yeah. And the visual style. It's just crisper and cleaner than the Samus Returns graphics that are held back by the 3DS's hilarious limitations.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

That's the only thing I think I liked more yeah. And the visual style. It's just crisper and cleaner than the Samus Returns graphics that are held back by the 3DS's hilarious limitations.

I know we've had this conversation numerous times, and I know it's cheaper, but goddamn, I just think spritework looks so much better in this kind of format. Lol.

Also doesn't help that SR did what I thought it would, which is make everything brown / muted colors, save for some shit like Area 7? I think it was 7. The techno one.
Makes it harder to distinguish areas unless you either memorize geography layout or look at the map persistently. Never ran into that problem in Super or Zero Mission.

You'd think as colorful as Nintendo's other franchises are, they wouldn't be afraid to shove colors into shit like this and Prime.