Community Mood Thread: Take Two

fennecbyte

9 hours ago, Mandragoras said:

Maybe this is technically off-topic, but as a new member I feel this is important: I'm kind of torn about whether or not I should request someone PM and fill me in on what happened last year. I feel like there's a certain value in coming from outside and being able to help talk things out without prior baggage, but without enough context, well, what's there to even go off of? I'd like to know you folks better and contribute to the community, and I'd like to be able to say I feel comfortable here and have others be comfortable with me here.

What do I need to know? What is there to know?

And yeah, I guess I'm just posting here like I would anywhere else regardless, but that's because I'm just a very socially-oriented, talkative person, even when I'm nervous or agitated—especially, even, at times. But I feel like it's harder to read the room here sometimes than other places. Not always, but sometimes, and it's mildly concerning.

I actually stopped visiting the forums shortly after encouraging the move from FA (was a former admin of FA myself). Looking at what I've seen recently I'm quite sure recent events are a repeat of past behavior. It's unfortunate because while I do enjoy more frank conversations on the forum, there's a prevailing negative attitude that niggles at little things instead of letting them lie. That and the fact while people did migrate together, it didn't mean everyone got along, so much as just put up with each other.

I left due to personal issues in my life and the forums just felt like Debate Club. When you've done it for a long number of years (my internet presence) can be dated back to mid to late 90's you do get tired of it. The debate, dogpile mentality reduces the number of "Safe" topics which is why General Time Waster and other such threads can keep going.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

srsly though the user in question was total fucking cancer and should've been removed long before it reached that point, but alas hindsight is 20/20

The irony was that he seemed so widely 'liked'; I'll never forget those threads he'd make about how he just reached 3,000 'likes' and all that, and how so many looked up to him as this font of wisdom. Ug. I was quite happy when he got the boot; in fact, I doubt I've ever been as happy to see anyone banned from any site. It reflects positively on this site that he was; after that it gave me new faith that this forum had its heart in the right place. 

5 minutes ago, Fossa said:

The irony was that he seemed so widely 'liked'; I'll never forget those threads he'd make about how he just reached 3,000 'likes' and all that, and how so many looked up to him as this font of wisdom. Ug. I was quite happy when he got the boot; in fact, I doubt I've ever been as happy to see anyone banned from any site. It reflects positively on this site that he was; after that it gave me new faith that this forum had its heart in the right place. 

....I'm talking about the other person, you mong.

The one that posted life-ruining baseless accusations of a sexually assaultive nature on a public forum.

• Like 2

Regarding advertising, I don't really like the idea of supporting advertising on Inkbunny. I can't find any info on community advertising for Furry Network, we've established that Weasyl doesn't have any, and I can't think of any other sites in particular.

That leaves FA and SoFurry. Conveniently, two users have volunteered financial support for ads, @GarthTheWereWolfand (conditionally) I. So, I think the simplest thing to do is for him to take FA and I'll take SoFurry. Since I have additional conditions, it would allow us to get ads under way in at least one location while the details are worked out and a user event implemented for the second. This could also reduce the impact a surge of users from two sites might have (assuming FA gets the ads out in a timely manner :Y)

Money wise, I would be willing to match what Garth contributes to FA ads, for the SoFurry ads upon meeting the conditions we'll agree on, up to a maximum of ~$125 (Which I think is what FA's page said 6-months of a 300x90 ad costs.) I am also fine with doing less than that maximum. As I recall, SoFurry's rates were a bit lower so I'll probably round up on the number of months though this means a "matching" amount will result in ads that last a little longer on SoFurry than FA, if Garth doesn't contribute over this maximum.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Fossa said:

Wrong dude, my dude.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we're not even talking about a dude here.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

....I'm talking about the other person, you mong.

The one that posted life-ruining baseless accusations of a sexually assaultive nature on a public forum.

Oh, well, anyway, I'm awful glad the one I'm thinking of is gone, too! Good riddance to bad company, for the both of 'em.

30 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Since I have additional conditions, it would allow us to get ads under way in at least one location while the details are worked out and a user event implemented for the second.

Weren't you yelled at specifically in the last thread for gun-jumping and trying to apply control over something that no one, insofar, has agreed with or asked you to do?
Stop. Doing. That.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vae said:

Weren't you yelled at specifically in the last thread for gun-jumping and trying to apply control over something that no one, insofar, has agreed with or asked you to do?
Stop. Doing. That.

Again, this intended to be my offer and my opinion on how that offer could move forward. Not even how it must or should.

Even if the site owner(s) haven't decided whether they want to do this or how they want to do this, what could possibly be wrong with knowing more about one possible way it could be done? Is there some concern about getting people thinking about ads in a concrete manner? Are they concerned about fallout if the decision is to not go with this offer or even not have ads at all?

• Like 1

It's good to at least, I dunno, have some sort of plan in place. Before you bring an idea to your boss you at least need to have SOME vague idea about what the fuck you're going to do. There's no harm in discussing something. At least they're TRYING to do something helpful, instead of sitting here and twiddling their thumbs.

I digress though, nothing's going to change if people don't want it to. Whatever happens will happen, and frankly, that's okay with me. I don't want to get involved any more than I have to. (which, yes, does sound hypocritical, but I'd rather not get into it until someone asks for me to help)

• Like 1