Not sure what to tell my mom

U-235

So there is a strong chance that I'll be working for the DOE (department of energy) when I graduate as a nuclear engineer. On that note the job is inherently dangerous, but it's so heavily mitigated in America that the risk is relatively low. However, my mom seems to have read a few too many articles talking about accidents and mishaps at DOE labs that deal with nuclear material. I want to reassure her we're totally safe, but half the information I'd need to say isn't allowed to be stated offsite. I tried talking to management, but most of them are way older so it's not something they are concerned with much anymore and it was a different time when they were coming up through the ranks. So perhaps some suggestions here?

Your mother is going to worry no matter what you tell them. The most reassuring thing you can do is remind them that you are the person most responsible for your own safety. They trust you, right? That, and keep in contact with them a lot when you start. Lots of regular contact, even just for simple chit-chat that has nothing to do with the job, will help them get used to the idea of you working there and show them that you are staying safe. Over time, they'll worry less about it. Mostly as the gain other things in your life to worry about :P A mama will always worry about her babies!

• Like 2

I greatly appreciate the feedback guys! I actually discussed it with her over lunch and I was able to mention some of the safety accolades that the site has attained and a few of the things we have in our environment to keep everyone safe (like signs at every stairwell about using the handrail). She seems to be warming up to the idea more. I think I just need to reassure her we're very big on ensuring things are done safely.

• Like 2