Thoughts on Charlottesville and neo-nazis

Crazy Lee

1 hour ago, Vae said:

This thread is an example of why we need a blanket ban on political discussions on Pnix.

It's like watching people shit on the floor and then roll around in it.

My thread had the best solution, as usual, because I am the genius with the biggliest brain and tremendous ideas.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vae said:

This thread is an example of why we need a blanket ban on political discussions on Pnix.

It's like watching people shit on the floor and then roll around in it.

The thread was entertaining was it not. Besides it's a way for people to blow off some steam, kind of like with protesting and elections and such.

MV5BMTM1OTA3MDExMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU5

10 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

The thread was entertaining was it not. Besides it's a way for people to blow off some steam, kind of like with protesting and elections and such.

MV5BMTM1OTA3MDExMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU5

This still doesn't dispute anything I've said about rolling in one's own shit.

People need friends to blow off steam to, though.
Instead of just hand-flapping and making a joke of themselves in the public space.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vae said:

Instead of just hand-flapping and making a joke of themselves in the public space.

8b1.png

Most of these people don't have any friends willing to listen to their insane political ramblings.

• Like 2

Just now, Zaraphayx said:

Nah I just wish yours were better.

Why don't you respond to my last post once you finish jerking off to internet nazis?

because none of y'all care about honest discussion, obviously. 

you want to play semantics & split hairs, but the rally in charlottesville made it quite clear how similar all the fringe-right groups actually are, and made it quite clear what the result would be if these groups did manage to politically organize. 

the best thing we can do is mock the idiot nazis back into hiding, but y'all are too sympathetic towards their plight to even see the absurdity in their propaganda. 

• Like 1

Just now, kazooie said:

you want to play semantics & split hairs, but the rally in charlottesville made it quite clear how similar all the fringe-right groups actually are, and made it quite clear what the result would be if these groups did manage to politically organize. 

the best thing we can do is mock the idiot nazis back into hiding, but y'all are too sympathetic towards their plight to even see the absurdity in their propaganda. 

No silly that's what you do to everyone else, you've got it all twisted.

Just admit you don't have a real response. You've never seen a bonafide white nationalist in the flesh in your entire life and you have to voraciously search them out online to get your fix.

85tgvQu.jpg

Oh kazooie sama.... =^+^=

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vae said:

Maybe this is just one of several ways that the people blow off steam, kind of like a steam castle with multiple openings:

steamboy4.jpg

3 minutes ago, kazooie said:

Left vs Right, it's all basically arguing while aboard a ship that is sinking:

060607_BI_GayMarriage.gif

Just now, WileyWarWeasel said:

Left vs Right, it's all basically arguing while aboard a ship that is sinking:

you talking in broad terms, or in terms of american politics specifically? because, while american politics fucking sucks (join the DSA if you're american), there's still parties in other parts of the world that genuinely do wish to tackle the looming challenges which we now face as a species. go volunteer & help organize for something you believe in.

4 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

No silly that's what you do to everyone else, you've got it all twisted.

no, i've definitely been the one posting arguments & evidence

Just now, kazooie said:

no, i've definitely been the one posting arguments & evidence

Screenshots of alt-right clickbait videos and youtube comments aren't "evidence" you dullard.

The internet and the television aren't real life, the fact that I have to explain this to a fully grown man is beyond sad.

Sexy+hitler+i+searched+sexy+hitler+on+go

• Like 1

Just now, kazooie said:

the rally in charlottesville was quite real, and formed thanks to movements on the internet which i have been evidencing

One gathering of white nationalists is not sufficient evidence for the assertion that white nationalism is on the rise in the west, much less that it's influencing mainstream politics.

More to the point, you were crying wolf about Nazis for nearly a year before Charlottesville even happened, and now you want to use their tiki torch sausage party as post hoc justification for all of your alarmism and paranoia.

You remind me of the white nationalists themselves who made entire threadnoughts about the Baltimore/Missouri riots and how black America is threatening to tear down the very foundations of society. They are wrong and so are you, and the funny thing is that they have a lot more "evidence" for their ideological crusade than you do.

Now tell us the real reason why you're here...

sexyhitler1.PNG.9bafd41a15ceea5438a8cfaed3ec3888.PNG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

One gathering of white nationalists is not sufficient evidence for the assertion that white nationalism is on the rise in the west

which is why ive also been talking about the forces on the internet that has helped, and continue to help, grow the movement.

6 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

More to the point, you were posting about Nazis for nearly a year before Charlottesville even happened

well yeah, because i had correctly identified the growing white nationalist movement as a concern. and here we are.

i was "right". you were "wrong". get over yourself.

• Like 1

Just now, kazooie said:

which is why ive also been talking about the forces on the internet that has helped, and continue to help, grow the movement.

well yeah, because i had correctly identified the growing white nationalist movement as a concern. and here we are.

i was "right". you all were "wrong". get over yourselves.

The movement isn't growing you idiot. It's getting more exposure because the internet is a massive megaphone that anyone can shout into and make themselves heard. You're hearing more extremist voices because those of us who aren't crazy don't waste our time screaming into the abyss about issues that 90% of 1st worlders can't identify with.

I know you like, just got tuned into the alt-right last year but some of us have been politically conscious since before Twitter became the cultural singularity. White nationalists have always been up to these shenanigans and no has cared until now. They never got media exposure and if they did they were always portrayed as the limp, ineffectual clowns they are. The KKK hasn't been seen as menacing for decades and their rallies were met with mocking bylines. The only reason a bunch of dudes cosplaying as Donald Trump wielding tiki torches is being waved around as evidence that America is bursting at the seams with Nazis is because it's a story that will sell in today's political climate. This is not fucking Kristallnacht you sperg.

It's okay though, remember, every time I make you feel a pang of doubt you can just go check your YouTube feed and find some guy with an anime avatar talking about (((them))) and rest assured that you're still right on the internet.

tumblr_m1kv5iP2st1rs4x5ro1_500.jpg

• Like 2

(It's been a page and I still don't think Kazooie realizes that he took a shit post saying literally nothing and responded to it seriously proving he doesn't read what's been said. Rather he reads to talk at people before understanding the actual content first. lol)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kazooie said:

you talking in broad terms, or in terms of american politics specifically? because, while american politics fucking sucks (join the DSA if you're american), there's still parties in other parts of the world that genuinely do wish to tackle the looming challenges which we now face as a species. go volunteer & help organize for something you believe in.

I was talking mostly about the USA but it's increasingly applying to the rest of the world too.

All of these different organizations, well-meaning or not have the same problems:

-They are all dependent on the unsustainable industrial system to function (including the so-called green movements)

-As such whatever "solutions" they may implement end up creating more problems whether in the short or long term

-The easiest and cheapest "innovations" have long been implemented, now we're down to passing off smartphones and vehicles using expensive toxic batteries and three times as much copper as conventional vehicles as "solutions"

-Even the most humble of "green" initiatives such as planting trees are reliant on mechanized transportation, industrial infrastructure such as roads, telecommunications and power infrastructure and the associated worldwide supply chains of energy and material for all these things and more just to function

I'm afraid that once a socioeconomic system (whether agriculture or industrial) uses more resources than the land its on can provide the system itself must keep growing to keep diminishing returns at bay (and once it grows enough additional costs get added such as maintaining aging infrastructure and mitigating pollution). Unfortunately infinite growth is impossible in a finite world and the resources in space are far too expensive to extract compared to the resources on Earth which are getting increasingly more expensive to extract despite technological progress.

It's difficult to believe in anything without turning a blind eye to the way the world works and the dissipative human civilization within it. I know that most people can do this and latch onto a cause to believe in despite any facts and logic presented, but not me it seems.

7 hours ago, Dr. Doggo said:

They see Nazis everywhere.

Do you not see them?

Pretty sure them chanting blood and soil is a pretty Nazi thing to do, even if it wasn't in German.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H1215-503-009,_Walther_Darr%C3%A9_bei_einer_Kundgebung.jpg

Oddly enough, they also did it at a torchlight rally, which also seems pretty familiar...

375965038-procesion-de-antorchas-antorcha-concentracion-reichstag.jpg

I think the calling for genocide thing is new, though. That has no connection to real nazis.

14 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Out of the hundreds of viewpoints I've heard over the years it can't more than a handful who wanted to actually just forcefully deport people based upon ethnicity and not on citizenship status.

I mean mass deportations based on citizenship usually have an ulterior motive.

Like when the Germans were deporting "Polish citizens" but were really just deporting Jewish people. Or like when the U.S. decided to repatriate Mexicans in the U.S. but were really just targeting anybody vaguely Mexican-appearing as scapegoats for the Great Depression.

That might be why the U.N. has largely concluded that mass deportations are usually crimes against humanity, even against individuals illegally in a country in many cases.

It is almost like it is inhumane to just say "We're going to expel this many people back to conflict-engulfed and resource-deprived regions from the world just because we decided they weren't valuable enough to us and we are racist fucks because their paperwork doesn't add up."

15 hours ago, Toshabi said:

7bh8JS.gif.1c1e4698c88a6067d69138ba88e35c82.gif

HAWT

On 8/22/2017 at 8:43 PM, Mandragoras said:

I feel like a lot of hardcore anti-fascist rhetoric treats non-violent resistance as inherently ineffectual or naïve, as if considering violence a last resort were somehow an ill-considered and cowardly position rather than a thought-through and frequently difficult one. It also undermines and demeans a lot of pacifist anti-fascist groups who do a lot of good work, which is counterproductive and a bit insulting.

I totally agree with the sentiment on nonviolence, but...

As far as it goes, most antifascists and related organizers I know don't condone just showing up and beating the shit out of nazis. That's a bad idea. That's why they didn't just do that in Charlottesville, and that's why they don't do it even when they outnumber nazi protesters. I mean it is a really bad idea, especially since police already side with the right.

I believe what most antifascists believe is that one must confront oppressors or those that seek to oppress in any way you can. I see a lot of praise for this guy from antifascists for that reason:

tumblr_oszalzIwOj1qe6jvxo4_500.png

His name is Martin Bühler, and he is a historian that has taken to documenting police brutality. He literally just dresses nice and stands in a place where police/fascists/whatever will have to hurt or remove him to get to the people he is protecting.

I've actually heard of organizers advising white guys to dress well and do exactly this because it prevents police brutality.

I've never heard of an organizer advising white guys to just beat the shit out of nazis or police. That gets police involved and a good movement ended real quick. Maybe even some injuries/deaths on their own side.

People excited about getting to reenact WW2 might get excited about punching nazis, but I've never met anybody seriously in that movement advocating just beating the shit out of nazis as a first resort, especially during an event like Charlottesville.

There's a reason people on that side are calling Heather Heyer a martyr even though she didn't lay a finger on a nazi.

Not to say they don't advocate violence at some point, just saying that I've never seen them advocate just yoloing in to beating shitheads before trying to do something else.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Terrible, but I feel like driving into a crowd and actually managing to take a life of someone non-violent because they opposed your belief of ethnic cleansing is way way worse. I'm just looking at the situation at the surface level.

Right, you think these people think that our lives are important? Their whole god damn movement is about attacking and ridding mostly innocent people that disagree with them, and don't even say, "the alt-right, Nazis and KKK aren't innocent!, I'm talking about every day people who are even slightly politically to the center of what they are that disagree with their behavior. Those, who are not affiliated with any partisan that just want peace get beat up and are called Nazis just for standing on the opposite side of the street. People took the loss of this one person's life and used it to majorly further the same political narrative to call anyone who doesn't even remotely stand with their ideology as Nazis or fascists, but nobody wants to acknowledge what these people are capable of,  because, "muh Nazis!". I'm not saying what the crazy bastard done was justified, but if the person who was killed felt a certain way about people like me or you, I don't see why we should care so much. It's obvious that I'm not going to side with those who think the very person I am is evil for not being a zealot like they are.

1 minute ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

Right, you think these people think that our lives are important? Their whole god damn movement is about attacking and ridding mostly innocent people that disagree with them, and don't even say, "the alt-right, Nazis and KKK aren't innocent!, I'm talking about every day people who are even slightly politically to the center of what they are that disagree with their behavior. Those, who are not affiliated with any partisan that just want peace get beat up and are called Nazis just for standing on the opposite side of the street. People took the loss of this one person's life and used it to majorly further the same political narrative to call anyone who doesn't even remotely stand with their ideology as Nazis or fascists, but nobody wants to acknowledge what these people are capable of,  because, "muh Nazis!". I'm not saying what the crazy bastard done was justified, but if the person who was killed felt a certain way about people like me or you, I don't see why we should care so much. It's obvious that I'm not going to side with those who think the very person I am is evil for not being a zealot like they are.

chill

idc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

cioeconomic system (whether agriculture or industrial) uses more resources than the land its on can provide the system itself must keep growing to keep diminishing returns at bay (and once it grows enough additional costs get added such as maintaining aging infrastructure and mitigating pollution). Unfortunately infinite growth is impossible in a finite world and the resources in space are far too expensive to extract compared to the resources on Earth which are getting increasingly more expensive to extract despite technological progress.

It's difficult to believe in anything without turning a blind eye to the way the world works and the dissipative human civilization within it. I know that most people can do this and latch onto a cause to believe in despite any facts and logic presented, but not me it seems.

oh yeah, i agree; we're going to have to massively reform our current economic systems if we wish to achieve a sustainable and equitable society. a lot of the socioeconomic existential crises that have given rise to these far-right movements are quite valid imo; the neoliberal status quo has proven itself ineffective, and is clearly not going to work in the long-run. its just that the far-right tends to blame the roots of these crises on minorities and jews, which i think is both hilarious & fucking stupid.

but yeah i really don't think its worth just flat out giving up; if we're going to crash & burn as a species, might as well go down fighting.

• Like 1

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices.  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.  It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.   

The right to assemble PEACEFULLY. 

It's not really assembling peacefully if you show up with weapons and torches. Also some of the groups among the white supremacists have a history of violence and terrorism. I don't think people affiliated with Neo Nazis or the KKK should have even had the right to assemble in the first place. These are groups that time and time again have proven that they do not assemble peacefully. They are inherently destructive and violent. By allowing known hate groups to march with them, by supporting and condoning these groups the protesters at the Charlottesville march gave their resounding support for all of the destruction and terror these groups have committed. 

And yes, I'm going to paint them with a broad brush because they are actual organizations, they are parties that, in the name of their order, kill and destroy. That is the PURPOSE of these orders. If they had wanted to present a peaceful front the alt-right marchers should have openly condemned and excluded anyone visibly affiliated with domestic terrorists. They did not do that. Any pretense of peaceful assembly flew out the window when they aligned themselves with neo-nazis and the kkk. 

Ku Klux Klan[edit]

Main article: Ku Klux Klan

During reconstruction at the end of the civil war the original KKK used domestic terroristic methods against the Federal Government and against freed slaves. During the 20th century, leading up to the Civil Rights Movement, unrelated Ku Klux Klan (KKK) groups used threats, violence, arson, and murder to further their anti-Black, anti-Catholic, anti-Communist, anti-semitic, and white-supremacist agenda. Domestic terrorists with agendas similar to the KKK include neo-Nazis and white power skinheads.

I cannot in good conscience say that I believe these people SHOULD have the right to assemble at all anymore.  These aren't peaceful protesters they're organized groups with a history of violence. They should not have been granted a permit in the first place. They can't be trusted, they DID kill someone. I don't think we should consider any congregation of these parties to be peaceful. If only because being associated with these groups automatically means you support what they do, what they have done, and what they will continue to do. 

I'm not going to side with Antifa or anything, and I am definitely tired of the "Punching Nazi's is ok" mentality used by children on the internet to justify going after people they don't like. I'm also sick of  "Agree with me or you're a nazi" because everyone knows that's a bogus argument, even the people who make that argument know it's bullshit. They just want to back you into a corner in the hopes that you're too afraid of looking like a Nazi to keep making your point. But I don't stand by "first amendment" as a defense for groups that have a long, sordid history of violence against whole communities of people. I genuinely believe there is a point where groups can no longer be considered covered by the first amendment because they haven't, aren't and never can be, peaceful, so why give them any more chances? 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, kazooie said:

oh yeah, i agree; we're going to have to massively reform our current economic systems if we wish to achieve a sustainable and equitable society. a lot of the socioeconomic existential crises that have given rise to these far-right movements are quite valid imo; the neoliberal status quo has proven itself ineffective, and is clearly not going to work in the long-run. its just that the far-right tends to blame the roots of these crises on minorities and jews, which i think is both hilarious & fucking stupid.

but yeah i really don't think its worth just flat out giving up; if we're going to crash & burn as a species, might as well go down fighting.

Would you consider working in a meaningless, mindless make-work job with brain-dead coworkers and that the one business that made you money that you actually enjoyed ended years ago, you've tried various other ideas that didn't work and that there's nothing to look forward to in the future except for alternating between unemployment and worthless employment while the economy slows down and that the best years are behind you as a form of fighting?

1 hour ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Would you consider working in a meaningless, mindless make-work job with brain-dead coworkers and that the one business that made you money that you actually enjoyed ended years ago, you've tried various other ideas that didn't work and that there's nothing to look forward to in the future except for alternating between unemployment and worthless employment while the economy slows down and that the best years are behind you as a form of fighting?

no, that definitely falls under "neoliberal status quo". 

but yeah, if you don't feel like blaming the jew, and the status quo aint for you, join the DSA! (if you're USian, that is)

So the issue is this, as I see it. The 1st amendment does protect the right to express opinions and such. However it in no way protects the right to incite violence (this is judicial precedent that is protected). You could burn an American flag, you can't call for burning Americans. The entirety of that Alt-right and neo-nazis is a call to action to remove a group and use any means necessary to protect the white race from "attacks". It's a rhetoric designed to provoke and incite dangerous.

"But we're just protesting the removal of our heritage as southerners."

I'm from the south, and quite frankly it's a stain, not a badge of heritage. You want a symbol of heritage, what about the peaches of Georgia, Blue Ridge in Georgia and Tennessee, The coasts of south Carolina, or the everglades (which has some amazing wildlife), or coca-cola? Why the hell did we choose a flag from a horrible cause that we lost? That's always eluded me, but I digress.

The point being, is that the organizers were aware that people affiliated with the alt-right, neo-Nazis, and white nationalist  would show up. They knew this might cause problems, they didn't take any action to deter it. They were aware that their causes were calls to action and would incite violence and pose a threat to the local community and other protesters. This is why that gathering in Charlottesville should have been blocked and not allowed.

This is why stuff from neo-Nazis, white nationalist, and alt-right is not (in my opinion) covered by the first amendment. If they were simply saying "we hate all of you," then it's still hate speech but fine. However their riots and rallies commonly have the theme of calling for genocide, violence against what they see as "inferior races", and calls for death against them. This is why it's not protected.

If you wanna keep a statue from coming down, sign a petition, organize a well controlled protest (permits, and ensure statements made and appropriate and actually protected), and create a well researched and factually backed up argument. Personally though, I think the statues for the confederacy belong in a museum where the context and setting is far more appropriate. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

The 1st amendment doesn't apply to hate speech or hate groups. It says so in the Constitution. Shablammo

It's a little more murky than that tbh.

There is no explicit exception for hate speech made to the first amendment. Technically hate speech is not illegal. However, there is, I think, an exception made for "fighting words" or any verbal dialogue used specifically to incite an immediate conflict. "Jews should die" is not technically illegal but going up to a jew and telling him to his face that he should die is, because that's a specific threat. In the case of Charlottesville people weren't just using hate speech, they were armed and clearly intending a threat. 

Threats, slander and libel are not covered under the 1st amendment because they deal with people on an individual level. 

Beauharnais v. Illinois (1952), upheld a “group libel” law that outlawed statements that expose racial or religious groups to contempt or hatred, unless the speaker could show that the statements were true, and justified. On a broad level there is no law against hate speech but there is smaller legislation. 

I think it's safe to say that the constitution protects speech but not necessarily the consequences of said speech. But honestly with all the individual power a state can hold and the laws it can make deciding where speech ends and violent instigation begins I don't really consider the constitution to be black and white or set in stone. 

And I retain my stance that Neo-Nazis and the KKK and anyone who stands with them definitely go beyond what can be covered under free speech. 

• Like 1

The case I was citing by the way was Brandenburg v Ohio (1969).

Ironically it actually allowed the KKK to hold a rally. However it sets the current definition for which imminent lawless action is defined as

Advocacy of force or criminal activity does not receive First Amendment protections if (1) the advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action, and (2) is likely to incite or produce such action.

And seeing as the neo-Nazis, Alt-right, and white nationalist literally call for genocide, with the hopes of it igniting violent action against targeted communities I'd say it meets these requirements and therefore is not protected.

I mean they carry guns, torches, and form massive mobs. The psychology shows it'll likely cause some form of violence.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MalletFace said:

I totally agree with the sentiment on nonviolence, but...

As far as it goes, most antifascists and related organizers I know don't condone just showing up and beating the shit out of nazis. That's a bad idea. That's why they didn't just do that in Charlottesville, and that's why they don't do it even when they outnumber nazi protesters. I mean it is a really bad idea, especially since police already side with the right.

I believe what most antifascists believe is that one must confront oppressors or those that seek to oppress in any way you can. I see a lot of praise for this guy from antifascists for that reason:

tumblr_oszalzIwOj1qe6jvxo4_500.png

His name is Martin Bühler, and he is a historian that has taken to documenting police brutality. He literally just dresses nice and stands in a place where police/fascists/whatever will have to hurt or remove him to get to the people he is protecting.

I've actually heard of organizers advising white guys to dress well and do exactly this because it prevents police brutality.

I've never heard of an organizer advising white guys to just beat the shit out of nazis or police. That gets police involved and a good movement ended real quick. Maybe even some injuries/deaths on their own side.

People excited about getting to reenact WW2 might get excited about punching nazis, but I've never met anybody seriously in that movement advocating just beating the shit out of nazis as a first resort, especially during an event like Charlottesville.

There's a reason people on that side are calling Heather Heyer a martyr even though she didn't lay a finger on a nazi.

Not to say they don't advocate violence at some point, just saying that I've never seen them advocate just yoloing in to beating shitheads before trying to do something else.

That is actually amazing. I would be really afraid to do that, but seeing that is honestly really inspiring.

Personally, I feel like forcing those who represent horrible ideas to either act on them or back down and otherwise undermining their bases of power is far more effective in the long run than actually laying hands on them, because it turns their own behaviour against them. You can't claim that you're the wounded party if you're beating someone who has done you no harm, and forcing those who might have some inkling of doubt or clarity of conscience to confront that can ultimately change their minds.

This also reminds me: According to NPR, the organisation Life After Hate, which was founded by a former racist skinhead as a way to help people get out of neo-Nazi and other white supremacist extremist groups and move on with their lives, was the only anti-extremist group of thirty-three denied a grant by the Trump administration which they had applied for under the Obama administration. Just goes to show you what their priorities really are.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Go away for a week, come back... 3 fucking pages of the thread sinking into the abyss of shit. Welp, I see peenix has at least a little of that ol' FAF spark left in the girl.

I'll reply when I don't have a headache and I'm not tired as hell.

Page 2 is mostly a burning pile of crap and bad memes but 3 has mostly been civil? I feel like we just need to ask certain people to tone it down and not act like assholes, which maybe takes longer than some blanket rule but deals with the real problem more effectively.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kazooie said:

no, that definitely falls under "neoliberal status quo". 

but yeah, if you don't feel like blaming the jew, and the status quo aint for you, join the DSA! (if you're USian, that is)

I'm not but I appreciate the sentiment. I'm in one of USA's handful of vassals (Australia).

6 hours ago, Mandragoras said:

Page 2 is mostly a burning pile of crap and bad memes but 3 has mostly been civil? I feel like we just need to ask certain people to tone it down and not act like assholes, which maybe takes longer than some blanket rule but deals with the real problem more effectively.

Looks like things worked out pretty well then for a political thread ;3

5 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Looks like things worked out pretty well then for a political thread ;3

Yeah, I gotta say, as far as 'political threads' go, this is remarkably civil.  When the worst this thread has is two people arguing different views of the 'ACTUAL stupid' motivations and traits of the alt-right, I'd call that a win right there.

• Like 7

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/mayor-matt-brown-nationalist-rally-1.4257737

Meanwhile in Canada, a city's own mayor will take part part in the counter-protest rally.

Also known as 'The guy you should stand next to during the protest to guarantee that you don't get pepper sprayed'.

I could see the cops in that morning meeting.  'Okay, the mayor will be in the protest today... So help me god if ANYONE hits him with pepper bullets, I'll make sure you can't even get a job at Tim Hortons!'

• Like 2

so, it turns out that a counter-protester was actually shot at. police were apparently at the scene, and did nothing. the whole video is surreal -- someone fires a gun at another person, and... nothing. just walks away, like nothing happened.

naturally, the shooter's looking to be a Wizard, because of fucking course.

8 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/mayor-matt-brown-nationalist-rally-1.4257737

Meanwhile in Canada, a city's own mayor will take part part in the counter-protest rally.

Also known as 'The guy you should stand next to during the protest to guarantee that you don't get pepper sprayed'.

I could see the cops in that morning meeting.  'Okay, the mayor will be in the protest today... So help me god if ANYONE hits him with pepper bullets, I'll make sure you can't even get a job at Tim Hortons!'

a white nationalist rally in Toronto was outright cancelled due to pushback, aha. the one in quebec, not so much.

• Like 2