Suggestion: there should be a politics subforum

Zaraphayx

And it should be restricted to a user-group like the red-lantern, only once you're in that user-group that's the only forum you can view.

We could give it an identifier like the 18+ user-group too.

Maybe a golden star on top of your avatar.

You know, as a reward for being so socially conscious.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Tsuujou said:

Skeleton humor is OP for real though. That shit kills me.

Of course you think it's funny. I could never expect a skin-privileged cislord like yourself to ever empathize with how distressing it is to see my culture trivialized and mocked every single day.

F5iJuyn.jpg

Remember, there's a person on the other side of your keyboard, you monster.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

Of course you think it's funny. I could never expect a skin-privileged cislord like yourself to ever empathize with how distressing it is to see my culture trivialized and mocked every single day.

F5iJuyn.jpg

Remember, there's a person on the other side of your keyboard, you monster.

I'M privileged? At least you're in fucking three dimensions!

stalfos_by_1124eddie-d6u5ymd.jpg.dd22d669afed0b50b241d1332b6adb95.jpg

I can't even move beyond a single keyframe. I have it worse than you and therefore any problems you have are nullified by my own strife I perceive to be greater. Cry more 3D tears.

• Like 2

I'M privileged? At least you're in fucking three dimensions!

stalfos_by_1124eddie-d6u5ymd.jpg.dd22d669afed0b50b241d1332b6adb95.jpg

I can't even move beyond a single keyframe. I have it worse than you and therefore any problems you have are nullified by my own strife I perceive to be greater. Cry more 3D tears.

I'm so sorry that you've been so blinded by institutionalized dermiarchy that you've internalized all of this hate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Why the fuck are you so obsessed with nazis

599de7c0169e7_Screenshot_2017-08-23-15-37-082.thumb.png.5729dea4c86cc92498cf0840a5f49def.png

Same reason they use literal fascist rhetoric (normalization and acceptance of political and general violence are some of the core tenets of fascism as an ideology; I.e. "punch a Nazi") when railing against what they perceive to be Nazis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Same reason they use literal fascist rhetoric (normalization and acceptance of political and general violence are some of the core tenets of fascism as an ideology; I.e. "punch a Nazi") when railing against what they perceive to be Nazis.

its either that or the literal swastika-flag carrying nazis that marched in the streets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazooie said:

prUh9GN.png

Political twitter is like a black hole where all intelligent and nuanced thought is sucked in and twisted into spaghetti.

You've now become a mockery of life, I'm sorry for what has become of you.

Maybe one day you will regain your humanity.

But probably not because you're a huge fag lmao

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

I love how @kazooie wants to try and say people here are "mad" when they came back from a four month absence the day of the election and have done literally nothing but spam anti-Trump shitposts for almost an entire fucking year

in which self-described shitposter gets Mad Online about a shitposter who came in & shitposted on a gay dead forum

22 hours ago, Battlechili said:

In all seriousness, I don't think a politics subforum is a bad idea. I mean we have an automobile subforum for crying out loud.

If it actually kept people from making mountains out of molehills I'd agree. However, it seems some individuals will try to make any post a political soapbox for some weird ideology they have at the moment. Makes you realize the true horror of Get Out.

So my primary issue with a political sub forum is that any and all things political would ferment into a literal post of nothing but insults and shit talk (i.e. ~80% of the comments above serve as an example).

If you want to have a forum like that with any hope of there being actual politics discussed in it then you'd need to lay down actual rules of discussion and it would require a decent amount of moderation. I'd suggest rules like citing sources, no shit talking or direct personal insults (it's actually a logical fallacy that undermines your own argument), and limit the scope of each post to the that situation directly without letting it drift too far off (missiles in North Korea shouldn't suddenly evolve to banning certain liquids on flights out of Germany unless there's some logical tie between the two).

So if you actually want a forum for genuine political discussion, then those are the items I'd suggest. That way you'd avoid the inherit nature that a forum like this enables and propagates throughout it's posts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, U-235 said:

So my primary issue with a political sub forum is that any and all things political would ferment into a literal post of nothing but insults and shit talk (i.e. ~80% of the comments above serve as an example).

Exactly. lol

Think of it as "taking out the trash".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Exactly. lol

Then why call it a political forum at all? I guess I place too much hope into the idea of respectful discussion that lends itself to logic rather than personal attacks and insults. Otherwise I could just find that on 4chan or Facebook.

• Like 1

Just now, U-235 said:

Then why call it a political forum at all? I guess I place too much hope into the idea of respectful discussion that lends itself to logic rather than personal attacks and insults. Otherwise I could just find that on 4chan or Facebook.

Political...."debate" on a furry forum is directly comparable to a landfill. So you can use the words politics and trash interchangeably in this context.

• Like 1

Exactly. lol

That would literally leave Kazooie talking about politics in a political bubble echo chamber....... whilst doing it from his bubble he lives in RL from Parents House, Canadaland.

ff8-review-o.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Political...."debate" on a furry forum is directly comparable to a landfill. So you can use the words politics and trash interchangeably in this context.

It literally seems to be not even a debate. As far as I can tell, it's just digressed to insults and calling the other a narcissistic asshole or some deviation of the term. Honestly give me the authority to run a political sub forum and I would at least try to require enough work be put into the posts that wasting the energy to just shitpost would seem meaningless and discourage people from doing it. If you make it difficult enough to post in a forum, then only the truly determined would post. It's easy to just throw insults around, it's moderately difficult to cite and construct a meaningful political opinion and converse it on the internet it seems.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, U-235 said:

Honestly give me the authority to run a political sub forum and I would at least try to require enough work be put into the posts that wasting the energy to just shitpost would seem meaningless and discourage people from doing it. 

You would fail. 
Not through any fault of your own, but you would fail.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

You would fail. 
Not through any fault of your own, but you would fail.

Hence why I said "try". In the end, given the inherit nature of this forum as it's becoming more and more apparent, probably, but I'd at least give it a college try before saying fuck it and nuking the entire sub-forum. I'd personally rather die a hero than see myself become the villain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, U-235 said:

(it's actually a logical fallacy that undermines your own argument)

Everything else you said interests me very little but this is incorrect and the assertion offends me as a logician, I am what some would call "super mad online" right now.

Personal attacks meant to represent an argument are logically invalid. Personal attacks independent of a given argument or given without argument have no influence on the validity of the statement.

90% of the time when people take issue with insults in these threads they're not objecting to them on "logical" grounds, they're objecting to them on aesthetic grounds. It's a failure on their part to put aside their emotional reaction to the insult and assess the substance of the statement impartially.

Also you can just cut the shit and call me out on it instead of speaking generally, I know I'm the one doing it because I know everything.

• Like 2

I fursonally unironically like this idea and think it's good and great, I want to be able to talk freely about politics. I propose that we should also include REEEEEEEEEligion into the thread, because that's what my spirit animal President Kasich would do!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Exactly. lol

8 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

1490967656405.thumb.png.1aefff7dda49d25483e3bfb2d9aaa46f.png

if nothing else we could use the politics subforum as a containment board

5 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Everything else you said interests me very little but this is incorrect and the assertion offends me as a logician, I am what some would call "super mad online" right now.

Personal attacks meant to represent an argument are logically invalid. Personal attacks independent of a given argument or given without argument have no influence on the validity of the statement.

90% of the time when people take issue with insults in these threads they're not objecting to them on "logical" grounds, they're objecting to them on aesthetic grounds. It's a failure on their part to put aside their emotional reaction to the insult and assess the substance of the statement impartially.

Also you can just cut the shit and call me out on it instead of speaking generally, I know I'm the one doing it because I know everything.

Actually I was in reference to literally everyone, though yes you were included in that. Also using personal attacks as a part of an argument is a logical fallacy.

Granted your statement was if it was independent of an argument (in which your statement is literally [insert insult, end statememt] which point yeah it's not a logical fallacy, your just shit posting), but my original statement implied it was as a part of an argument. And actually it even being a part of an argument and irrelevant (ignoratio elenchi, otherwise called irrelevant conclusion) to the argument is what makes it a logical fallacy.

It's considered Ad Hominem (i.e. personal attack) in which you actually attempt to degrade ones argument by perhaps in part addressing the statement, or not at all, but tack on a personal attack to degrade their character in the eyes of your audience.

My source: http://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/ENGL1311/fallacies.htm

Though actually it's something I learned in English classes and in debate team when forming persuasive arguments and deflecting counter points.

• Like 1

We shouldn't enforce citing sources and other such nonsense, because this isn't a college course. It's a casual little furry board. Consider your environment.

However, I'm completely in favor of giving it a place to go that doesn't piss off everyone else. I've known a number of people that want to stop posting on the forums for periods at a time when nerd essaying floods a casual thread or a casual subforum. No one wants to read 12 pages of stuff in a single post while they're dicking around on the internet, unless they're researching something they're highly invested in. Politics, more often than not, are not one of those investments.

What I am in favor of strictly enforcing is shitflinging and derailment. Give the subforum harsher rules with harsher punishments, but not of term paper variety, because that's a waste of everyone's time, including ours.

• Like 3

Like I said earlier. It's nice in theory, but they're going to find a way to wedge in political bullshit in other posts that have a mere mention of it. That is actually more of a problem than someone posting their daily Nazi hate thread.Least when I see that thread posted, easily avoidable, but you talk about a video game and someone turns it into some political BS....well...

• Like 1