Transgender People

Eggdodger

I think it's the strength of social networking creating a louder sound than truthfully exists. Along with that, I'd also go out on a limb and say that the information is becoming easier to access. Or at least finding reasonable explanations is easier perhaps? It's something that's really hard to figure out and pin down, the mind doubts so much, but the aforementioned help to clear the fog really well. Or at least it's easy to find a place that will give you objective thoughts based on what you know about yourself to help you combat the fear and doubts.

Because nowadays society wont /always/ kill you for acting or expressing outside some conceivable notion. So more people attempt this?Its this backlash from the strict old society falling away and making room for people to do so. That, and medical technology allowing it to be more possible, clothes can only do so much.

Also internet fads spreading information, some probably arent but its best to just roll with it anyways. When it comes to gender it really doesnt matter what you are at this point

That would be my best guess

Edit: There's always the tryme theory

I may get flack for this, but... I honestly think it's certain chemicals in our food or water nowadays. Apparently, they cause estrogen production or something like that. That, and them not being raised stritcly enough. I know it sounds bigoted and ignorant, but I can't help but think of anything else. This problem didn't happen years ago.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

halp plz

I've never liked this idea that gets spread around that being trans is this new "fad" or something, just because trans people are being seen more frequently. I think it's more, the community has become more open and made more pushes towards being more accepted by society (not much because society can be a bunch of dickbags, but there's been quite a bit of progress). I think this has led to people who were much deeper in the closet about their gender being more comfortable about opening up about it. Yeah you tend to bump into quite more online now in specific communities, but that's because a lot of these communities have gotten much more accepting of it and made it a much more welcoming environment to come out to.

Shit I've noticed this a lot in the fandom, especially on this site. I originally wasn't sure how accepting this forum's community would be about transgender people, but goddamn have you guys shown a lot of support in this thread. <3

• Like 1

My IRL best friend came out as trans yesterday. Didn't see it coming, but I was cool with it. Well, sort of. To be honest it'll make her visiting my house strange. No idea how my parents will deal with it.

Still can't say I understand what it means to be transgender though. I don't get the concept of gender. I've tried reading up on it but still, nothing. 

I've never liked this idea that gets spread around that being trans is this new "fad" or something, just because trans people are being seen more frequently. I think it's more, the community has become more open and made more pushes towards being more accepted by society (not much because society can be a bunch of dickbags, but there's been quite a bit of progress). I think this has led to people who were much deeper in the closet about their gender being more comfortable about opening up about it. Yeah you tend to bump into quite more online now in specific communities, but that's because a lot of these communities have gotten much more accepting of it and made it a much more welcoming environment to come out to.

Shit I've noticed this a lot in the fandom, especially on this site. I originally wasn't sure how accepting this forum's community would be about transgender people, but goddamn have you guys shown a lot of support in this thread. <3

You're probably right, it's just such a weird feeling for me, at first feeling like I'm the only transgender every because I hadn't even HEARD of another transgender person, to suddenly seeing people coming out as trans everywhere, including exes and love interests I've had. .____.

What if you sew one half of a woman with another half of a man?

You have Baron ashura, A cyborg transgender.

Not enough people watch Mazinger Z.  :C

It felt good to share this in a private message...so I will share it here. Hopefully it can help someone gain insight or perspective.

Every person really is different. For me, I really cannot define what it means to be transgender. I only know that when I was younger, I felt off. But it didn't bother me much until I hit puberty with everyone else. The overwhelming sadness, which I did not understand and could not place, persisted with me for years and I found myself envious of girls instead of admiring them. I never felt like one of the guys and I could never relate to them. I never had an obsession for girls as they did. It was hard for me to press on, and in truth, I thought I would magically grow out of it. All the girlfriends I dated never really appealed to me in a sexual way because of my envy...and I grew to hate my body and identity. I hated how people liked me for "who I was" or how I looked. I hated being called male pronouns and having to look at myself in the mirror. I hated the mannerisms, the way I had to dress, the way I was suppose to act, or do...I hated my upbringing and the everlasting effects it will always have on my personality, knowledge, and identity. I hate that I never had a chance to grow as a girl and to be normal. And with that, I feel like I have lost years of my life, my golden years of youth and exploration, and am now on the decline being 25 years old. Simply put, I hate MYSELF. I still struggle with it. I honestly don't know if I even want to press on knowing that I have such a "tainted" background (if I were to magically pass flawlessly as a female). I feel broken and honestly believe it more than anything I know. 

I tried the overly masculine part and ended up more miserable then I have ever felt. That phase was 4-6 years ago...I am glad to moved passed it.

• Like 1

As an American (and somewhat of a liberal), I believe that transgender people should be accorded the same civil rights and federal protections that all other legitimate citizens of this sovereign nation are intrinsically entitled to. 

However, per the biological realities of sex, I can't perceive a transgender woman or a transgender man as an authentic male or female (and by extension, a man or woman). I will refer to you as your preferred gender pronoun since I'm a respectful and comparatively accepting individual. 

I wish we could ameliorate all psychological disorders with the simple flick of a wand, but that simply isn't how our expansive universe operates. Hopefully, future innovations in the relevant surgical, technological, and psychological fields will yield fruitful cures and treatments for victims afflicted with gender dysporia. 

Edited by I Did It For The Cat Girls

I think the best bet is to listen to the child, and then proceed prudently.

If a child says, "I feel like a boy," or "I want to be a boy," instead of arguing with that or ignoring it, ask them what it means to be a boy, why they feel like a boy, and what they'd like to do with those feelings.

Anyone who signs their kid up for hormones and surgery the minute they express a desire to be the opposite sex is clearly jumping the gun--but, I have yet to hear of any parent who's done that.

The ideal first step is to let the child dress and present as their desired sex, and then see what evolves from there.

One of the things I have considered when it comes to Trans people is the fact that once sex-specific traits appear, they are very hard to get rid of. Such as a deeper or higher voice (vocal cord size), breasts, facial and body hair. They are a lot easier to change before a person hits puberty. For instance, if someone who was male were to get more female hormones before/during puberty, that person would likely develop female traits. And vice versa.

So it would seem to make the most sense to identify trans people before puberty and start the hormone treatment then. However, someone who is 8-10 years old isn't exactly old enough to make such life-altering decisions, because they are often unable to think long term about the consequences of their actions.

Basically, I wonder if there's been some kind of trans boom and what might've caused it?

I don't think it's a boom, I think people are just more comfortable coming out. Same thing with homosexuality. From what I've read it's existed throughout history, just in the past it was hushed up.

One of the things that bugs me about the whole trans thing is the fact that I sometimes, either because I just met the person, or because I forget, use the wrong pronoun. Sometimes this is because the trans person still looks and feels too much like their original gender. Sometimes, I've seem trans people get upset about this.

I think there needs to be an honest attempt by people nowadays to look at what people say and understand intent. In other words, was the intent to be rude or dismissive, or just an honest mistake? Mistakes happen. And usually one can tell by tone if the mistake was the person being mean or just forgetting.

• Like 1

Frankly that's not unique to Trans people. Context and intent of just about anything directed at a person can be rude and disrespectful when wielded skillfully. You see morons try to do this all the time with the words "Please" and "Thank you". I'd wager disrespectful use of positive intention is dramatically more common.

I have a question for you trans guys and gals,

If male and female body parts came with no excess baggage (no expectations as to how you should behave, what you should look like, what you should be interested in etc.), do you think you would still have ended up as a trans person? I mean, if the very concept of gender didn't exist and we could all just be who we are regardless of genitalia, would everything be ok? Or are the guy/girl parts of critical importance? I realize the answer is probably more complicated than a simple yes or no and is likely to vary from person to person, but I would like to hear someone's take on this.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm also sorry if I've been disrespectful in some way, I know it's easy to do that when talking about something you know very little about.

Isn't that justifying your emotions? 

It's not in that it's not "Men don't feel like this, or think this, or blah blah blah". It's that I feel like I personally am a woman without regard to any stereotype or culture, and becoming a woman in body is not justifying how I feel. It's becoming who I view as me, not who I think I should be because X or Y.

I'm just really confused about what you're trying to say. You keep saying that it has nothing to do with emotions, but you feel like you should have the body of a woman. How can it be a "feel" thing if it's not coming from an emotional place? 

Being transgender is absolutely a "feel". Most people don't have any kind of real justification for it, and you don't really need one either. 

I'm just really confused about what you're trying to say. You keep saying that it has nothing to do with emotions, but you feel like you should have the body of a woman. How can it be a "feel" thing if it's not coming from an emotional place? 

Being transgender is absolutely a "feel". Most people don't have any kind of real justification for it, and you don't really need one either. 

What I mean is it isn't a way to justify what I feel, it is what I feel. I feel like that is an important distinction.

I have a question for you trans guys and gals,

If male and female body parts came with no excess baggage (no expectations as to how you should behave, what you should look like, what you should be interested in etc.), do you think you would still have ended up as a trans person? I mean, if the very concept of gender didn't exist and we could all just be who we are regardless of genitalia, would everything be ok? Or are the guy/girl parts of critical importance? I realize the answer is probably more complicated than a simple yes or no and is likely to vary from person to person, but I would like to hear someone's take on this.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm also sorry if I've been disrespectful in some way, I know it's easy to do that when talking about something you know very little about.

I always figure that it has something to do with the brain being wired to think one's the opposite biological sex than one is physically and genetically. In other words, you may be born with a penis and x-y, but your brain is hooked up where you feel/think you are a woman.

Like a mac with windows 8 OS, or a PC with MacOS 10.

• Like 4

I always figure that it has something to do with the brain being wired to think one's the opposite biological sex than one is physically and genetically. In other words, you may be born with a penis and x-y, but your brain is hooked up where you feel/think you are a woman.

Like a mac with windows 8 OS, or a PC with MacOS 10.

That's the best explanation of it I've seen in a while.

>tfw your forced to end treatment with your psychiatrist who you've grown to genuinely like because she doesn't feel she's completely qualified to help with trans issues after talking to a local health clinic I've been going to who offered to help

>tfw they said my next appointment will be no later than October

>tfw I've yet to hear back from them despite sending them 20 emails explaining everything

>tfw I'm literally on a time limit since I can't get any more meds now

Life is pain. le maymay arrowz X^D

Edited by PastryOfApathy

I'm kind of borderline trans. For now I am just fine declaring myself as agender and denouncing my sex. I had pretty bad body dysphoria for years. I've gotten used to it and have it manageable but some things "trigger" it. Blah. Honestly, being put on powerful birth control helped tons because it nuked my period (my period was so bad that it was ruining my life, seriously couldn't do anything exercisy for 95% of the month). If given the choice to trade sexes (100%) with someone, I would in a heartbeat. Ftm though is not considered a possibility for me right now as the process isn't all that perfect.

• Like 1

...without gender roles, for me, it comes down to preference, a really really sided preference.

I've heard of trans people feeling depressed and even suicidal because of their physical appearance. That isnt exactly me, which is why I hesitated in calling myself 'trans' at the cost of not being true. Physically I already explained I feel indifferent at best and frustrated at worst.

Physically, especially as puberty hit, things just felt awkward or uncomfortable. I let it slide for years because "it is what it is", and I felt I just had to accept it.

Given there would be no prejudices, no roles, I would STILL change...more quickly too. I dont want the biological functions of a female, as soon as I learned it was possible to change its been a nagging feeling.

While its true gender roles did play a part, I feel its only a part.

Edit: I did forget to mention, when I first started learning about trans-related things, I knew one should not be considered transgendered just because they wanted to escape gender roles...so I had to think carefully to myself. I knew I could still do masculine roles and still be female, but it just didnt 'feel' right. I didnt know why I would consider or want to be a male so bad, so I figured there must be something about me that was trans.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

I wonder if it's ever too late?

Certain things, such as one's voice seem...rather impossible to change.

It's far from impossible to change ones voice. Our voices are produced by an organ and, as with all other organs, it can be altered. There's voice therapy, and more invasive procedures that can be used. 

I just wanted to share this/ask for advice. 

Buddy of mine is trans, pre-op and no hormones yet, FTM. He's avoided all therapy and the like, and is instead saving up just to get testosterone and administer it himself. I am not neurotypical so I'm deeply entrenched in therapy, and I've been reading a lot about trans issues since tess came out to me. I've read that therapy is the most important thing someone who's trans so that they can work things out, and should get it just to have someone there who knows what its like or can walk them through normal things that happen as you start to take hormones. Like.. I'm not saying therapy is needed to make sure he's trans, but just as a professional support. 

He's got other serious issues like anxiety and stuff, so I guess I want to know if I should try to convince him to get therapy, or just do what I did with Tess at first and just read as much as I can and try to do what my research suggests. I'm by no means a professional or an expert, but I've read horror stories of people without professional guidance self administering hormones. I had to fight him to get a binder at first because he was wrapping with ace bandages in the beginning kind of fears. What should I do?

I just wanted to share this/ask for advice. 

Buddy of mine is trans, pre-op and no hormones yet, FTM. He's avoided all therapy and the like, and is instead saving up just to get testosterone and administer it himself. I am not neurotypical so I'm deeply entrenched in therapy, and I've been reading a lot about trans issues since tess came out to me. I've read that therapy is the most important thing someone who's trans so that they can work things out, and should get it just to have someone there who knows what its like or can walk them through normal things that happen as you start to take hormones. Like.. I'm not saying therapy is needed to make sure he's trans, but just as a professional support. 

He's got other serious issues like anxiety and stuff, so I guess I want to know if I should try to convince him to get therapy, or just do what I did with Tess at first and just read as much as I can and try to do what my research suggests. I'm by no means a professional or an expert, but I've read horror stories of people without professional guidance self administering hormones. I had to fight him to get a binder at first because he was wrapping with ace bandages in the beginning kind of fears. What should I do?

From the binder thing, it sounds like they arn't even doing the basic reading from the countless amount of resources that can be found online, so you aren't entirely wrong to be concerned.  Though I have to ask if cost is a factor in their decision process.  I'm in Canada, so I can't fully grasp the financial realities that some people face when dealing with this stuff in other nations that don't have socialized healthcare but I can see costs being a major factor in making someone want to skip everything and just stick internet drugstore needles into their butts.

It's far from impossible to change ones voice. Our voices are produced by an organ and, as with all other organs, it can be altered. There's voice therapy, and more invasive procedures that can be used. 

I was wondering because most trans people I've met were easily given away because of their voices. Is it really that feasible?

I was wondering because most trans people I've met were easily given away because of their voices. Is it really that feasible?

While some can struggle with this, for many, their voice is only 'telling' to those who 'already know' and are consciously thinking about 'tells'.  Meanwhile in regular everyday life no one puts any thought into it beyond 'Huh, her voice is lower than most.'  People are usually to preoccupied with their lives to apply anything more than Occam's razor to all the human beings they see in their day.

I dunno what to say, no one at my work has any idea I'm trans.

Edited by AshleyAshes

Lemon's friend should definitely try to find a trans-friendly therapist. They can be instrumental in helping you secure resources and support for transition, while helping you weather the social and emotional obstacles you may encounter along the way. Therapists can also serve as essential sounding boards when you're trying to weigh your options and feelings.

• Like 1

Lemon's friend should definitely try to find a trans-friendly therapist. They can be instrumental in helping you secure resources and support for transition, while helping you weather the social and emotional obstacles you may encounter along the way. Therapists can also serve as essential sounding boards when you're trying to weigh your options and feelings.

My therapist dropped me...

He was a nice guy, but didn't know a thing about transgender people. At least he said he'd write a recommendation for me if I wanted hormones.

I want hormones. Maybe a new therapist, too, but I'm getting the pills/injections/patches/suppositories/WHATEVER first.

I'm kind of fighting with either being Gender/fluid/queer or Transgender FtM.

I'll spare the specifics unless someone wants a PM of them.

I find at first it is confusing and I believe alot of people think they are gender fluid because early on it does fluctuate.

We are here if you want us.

I'm kind of fighting with either being Gender/fluid/queer or Transgender FtM.

I'll spare the specifics unless someone wants a PM of them.

eyyy, you could PM me. There's not nearly enough ftms around this site so I'd be cool to hear how you feel on that

OT: One of the worst arguments I have ever heard was "Can a cat become a dog?" Comparing transgendered people as a concept. I just...what? Do you seriously have no clue how life works? You're comparing two different species versus comparing a single species with two different sexes. I mean, come on...you cant be that dumb? I get that the way they see it down on a chromosomal level a person will always be their birth sex but really its way more than that. In the end all humans can naturally have male/female traits, sometimes with help and manipulation. But ultimately its nowhere near changing species...just...ugh...how the heck can people be so ignorant?