Lady has lifelong wish of becoming blind--fulfills with drain cleaner

Conker

http://kfor.com/2015/10/01/woman-says-she-is-happier-than-ever-after-fulfilling-lifelong-wish-of-becoming-blind/

So mental illness is a motherfucker that apparently manifests itself in a thousand different god damned forms. I don't want to, you know, belittle that fact.

HOWEVER!

What the fuck?

So this lady wanted to be blind all her life. That's...I can't even fathom that. If I lost my eyesight, I'm 99% sure I"d just go off myself because everything I enjoy doing involves sight. I couldn't go through life without that. Not at all.

She told Barcroft TV that her fascination with blindness started when she was a child.

“By the time I was six I remember that thinking about being blind made me feel comfortable,” she said.

Shuping says that when she was a teenager, she started wearing thick black sunglasses, and even got her first cane when she was 18. By the age of 20, Shuping says she was fluent in braille.

“I was ‘blind-simming’, which is pretending to be blind, but the idea kept coming up in my head and by the time I was 21 it was a non-stop alarm that was going off,” she told Barcroft TV.

So it starts off as Ripley's Believe it or not, and damn, she should have gotten help. Well, she did!

Her need to lose her sight increased as she got older, and by 2006, she claims she found a psychologist who was willing to help her.

Shuping says the psychologist put numbing eye drops into her eyes, and then a couple of drops of drain cleaner.

“It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin,” she said. “But all I could think was ‘I am going blind, it is going to be okay.”

This is the part that actually pisses me off, assuming it's true and she didn't do this herself. What kind of doctor of any type complies with someone's mental illness and FUCKING BLINDS THEM?

The second fucked up part that pisses me off is the lady in question is telling her story to raise awareness for her kind of mental illness so other people can get help. But by get help she means, "POUR DRAINO IN YOUR EYES!"

We live on a very strange planet.

So it

Edited by Conker

This is special snowflake taken to a whole 'nother level

That was my gut reaction at first, mostly because I've hung around furry forums and seen some crazy, FYIA_

But there's special snowflakes and then there's willingly having someone toss sink cleaner into your eyeballs. First is annoying internet shit, second is just really twisted and sad.

Well at least she's happy... 

I do think however the psychologist should be pressed with criminal charges since it could've eeeasssily gone wrong and caused more damage than blindness. 

Her.... Desire is really weird and incomprehensible, yeah, but she's only causing damage to herself and no one/thing else. And if being blind makes her happy then so be it. 

It's still fucking weird though... 

• Like 2

Well, whatever makes you happy I guess.

See, I don't really think that's a valid response to this. When we encounter someone with depression that wants to kill himself, we don't go "well go for it mate. It'll make you happy.**" We tell them to get help and then stress because that's not the right solution to that problem.

Granted, this lady is still alive, so it's a little different, but the idea behind it is the same: I'm unhappy, and the solution to fix that is radically drastic and not something I can undo once done.

Psychologists/psychiatrists exist to fix our brain problems in positive, constructive ways. What this lady did and what her doctor did were very much not that.

**Using that as a poor man's example. I understand suicide enough to know it isn't so much about being happy as it is making the unhappiness go away.

• Like 1

See, I don't really think that's a valid response to this. When we encounter someone with depression that wants to kill himself, we don't go "well go for it mate. It'll make you happy.**" We tell them to get help and then stress because that's not the right solution to that problem.

Granted, this lady is still alive, so it's a little different, but the idea behind it is the same: I'm unhappy, and the solution to fix that is radically drastic and not something I can undo once done.

Psychologists/psychiatrists exist to fix our brain problems in positive, constructive ways. What this lady did and what her doctor did were very much not that.

**Using that as a poor man's example. I understand suicide enough to know it isn't so much about being happy as it is making the unhappiness go away.

Suicide is different, it does affect other people and, in many respects, is a long term solution to a short(er) term problem, and should be discouraged. 

I do support people's option for assisted suicide in cases of really old age or chronic disease however. I don't know if that's outside the scope of this thread though. 

It's fucked sure, but at the end of the day it's not my life.

If a physician did do it, how is it different croon assisted euthanasia? 

Because assisted euthanasia is only done when someone is doomed to suffer a slow and painful death with no hope of recovery. This chick wasn't doomed to be blind.

Because assisted euthanasia is only done when someone is doomed to suffer a slow and painful death with no hope of recovery. This chick wasn't doomed to be blind.

Yes but she was doomed to a HORRIBLE life of having to... see things!

The poor lass.

• Like 1

Suicide is different, it does affect other people and, in many respects, is a long term solution to a short(er) term problem, and should be discouraged. 

I do support people's option for assisted suicide in cases of really old age or chronic disease however. I don't know if that's outside the scope of this thread though. 

This is a long term solution to a short term problem, assuming a good psychiatrist could work this out. But to say that this doesn't affect other people is bonkers. She's severely handicapped now. She's also probably on disability. Her parents disowned her per the article.

Obviously suicide and this aren't the same, but the principal kind of is. You're doing irreversible damage to yourself because you're suffering from mental illness.

Both are tragic and should be avoided. In this case, she found someone to help her.

It's fucked up regardless, and I just can't handle it for some reason. I mean, when we had the blood moon a few nights ago, I was outside with a telescope looking at it and the stars, and both were so fucking pretty it was damn near spiritual. To willingly hurt yourself so you couldn't see something like that. I just can't man. I just can't :(

This makes me really uncomfortable because I know its what some people compare being gay or transgender to...being unhappy with some 'normal' aspect of life and trying to do something different. Ive heard 'psychological issues' so many times in association to that

Really kind of sad.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I remember some years back there was an article about someone who did the same thing to her legs. Killed them with dry ice so they'd be amputated.

What does surprise me is that she says a psychologist helped her do it. That person should never be allowed to work in their field again (if indeed they ever really did).

This makes me really uncomfortable because I know its what some people compare being gay or transgender to...being unhappy with some 'normal' aspect of life and trying to do something different. Ive heard 'psychological issues' so many times in association to that

Really kind of sad.

Well, maybe it is a psychological issue. Arachnaphobia is, so is the love of being alone or obsession with tinkering. There is no point favoring any one or demonizing it. Not all things are harmful, and the purpose of treatment is to minimize harm and increase function.

Using "psychological issue" as a pejorative is pretty inappropriate. 

I believe that people have every right to do with themselves what they want. Whether it's self-mutilation, suicide or whatever.

And no, "do not harm" doesn't necessary need to work here. There were cases in which certain parts of patient's bodies were removed by the request. Especially after failed atttempts of removing them by themselves. It's no different than euthanasia.

Edited by Ayattar

im HoH

people like these just piss me off

theres not a single disabled person who is genuinely happy about being disabled

people with disabilities have to deal with the feelings of inadequacy and being a liability for other people and its a terrible feel

people like these just want the extra attention and pampering. actual disabled people would rather it not happen at all.

Edited by Sir Gibby
  • Like 3

I do believe that sort of behavior is part of a condition. I seen it on some psych documentary, only the person they were going on about was a man that felt his left (or right) leg below the knee didn't belong there, and he tried many different means of trying to get the doctors to amputate it, and when all that failed, he took dry ice to the leg and then doctors were forced to amputate the area the man felt 'didn't belong'.

This is the same thing, only the woman feels her sight doesn't belong.

A really strange and fascinating topic to be sure. This person actually seems genuine, though, so I wouldn't say that this is "taking special snowflake to a whole new level". Really fucking strange, though (and also the thing with the amputated leg)

Identity and identity disorders actually really fascinate me for personal reasons. All of these things seem to be coming to a head in the modern media, but psychological research has only revealed so much of how human identity works. I'm eager for more information.

This is a long term solution to a short term problem, assuming a good psychiatrist could work this out. But to say that this doesn't affect other people is bonkers. She's severely handicapped now. She's also probably on disability. Her parents disowned her per the article.

Obviously suicide and this aren't the same, but the principal kind of is. You're doing irreversible damage to yourself because you're suffering from mental illness.

Both are tragic and should be avoided. In this case, she found someone to help her.

It's fucked up regardless, and I just can't handle it for some reason. I mean, when we had the blood moon a few nights ago, I was outside with a telescope looking at it and the stars, and both were so fucking pretty it was damn near spiritual. To willingly hurt yourself so you couldn't see something like that. I just can't man. I just can't :(

If she's on disability, kick her off of it. Although, in a sense, this isn't drastically different than someone having children after they're already on government assistance. It's just wasting more resources on something that should have been avoided through personal responsibility.

As for this woman's decisions, and suicide along with that, it's not your place to play parent to them. People with mental issues are not children by default of having those problems.
Don't dehumanize them. They still have a right (and often expectations) to make their own decisions in life.
There is not always "a simple solution" to mental problems. I've been dealing with mine, through different doctors, for over a decade. And it's still a struggle. It's constantly a struggle.
These things aren't as black and white and easy as you think they are.

As for both of those subjects, as long as they're not taking people with them in the act, I say let them do what they want.
It's fucking weird, and I don't understand it, but she didn't blind anyone else.
So who cares.

@Vae

To be clear, I know these things aren't black, white, or easy. I'm just saying that dismissing this whole thing as, "Eh, her choice I guess" isn't constructive, especially when she's clearly not operating from a point of clear understanding.

I also find it dangerous that she's considered herself cured and is telling others with this kind of disorder to follow in her footsteps.

I wish we knew the name of the psychologist that helped her, if she's even a real person. I can't imagine any self-respecting doctor would go through an operation like this, but it only adds validity to her belief that she's cured. "See, a doctor helped me do it so it's fine!"

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

Yep. Read about this a couple of days ago.

Her doctors are fucking quacks and should be removed from their positions.

“When I woke up the following day I was joyful until I turned on to my back and opened my eyes – I was so enraged when I saw the TV screen,” Shuping said.

Wow.

psychologist... the reason i get panicattacks through m&m's... well expect the ones in the blue package. those came after all that for dogsake and i actually quite enjoy them but anyways... you wouldn't believe what some of them would do to "heal" you and what that actually means for them.

Just want to poke my head in here and point out what I think people are forgetting

Psychologists are not doctors

Psychiatrists are doctors

A psychologist cannot legally do anything even halfway this drastic- they can't prescribe the most basic psychiatric medications, let alone recommend drain cleaner - apply directly to eye socket

Edited by Xaerun