BennyJackdaw

Why I'm misanthropic and why I hate hunters.

159 posts in this topic

I keep forgetting to respond to this and it's halfheartedly sincere.

I'm an ecologist. I'm also a hunter. These are not mutually exclusive stances to take. I go pig hunting to help reduce the number of invasive feral pigs, which also happen to be delicious. Of course trophy hunters exist. I always found it strange honestly how trophy bucks (older, healthy animals) are targeted in hunting efforts rather than sick, old, or headstrong young bucks. It doesn't align with natural selection. That being said, humans have already messed up natural selection to the point there's no way to recuperate it through natural means again. But....here's the thing. That all was hecked up way before your time.

That's my preamble. My point is: why would you let that make you be misanthropic? You weren't born in a time before the Migratory Bird Act. You weren't alive when passenger pigeons were hunted to extinction, or when the last thylacine was pacing around a concrete pen, or when bear and bull baiting were considered fun family activities. You should absolutely be grateful to live in a society that is at least attempting to mitigate and right the wrongs of previous generations. 

Hell, even canned hunt money from safaris and "trophy hunts" now typically go to conservation. The meat? Typically eaten by natives there because trophy hunters obviously don't want to eat gamy stuff like lion. Poached meat in the US, when confiscated quickly, typically goes to processing for homeless shelters or to be turned to jerky and shipped to active military. It's been like that for like....30-40 years depending on what state you're in. And yeah it's all wrapped up in BS regulation but lmao at anyone who thinks that somehow now, trophy hunters are The Worst Things Ever. Hundred years ago women were encouraged to light fires at the base of trees to murder passenger pigeons. 

I do not know why I attempt to respond earnestly to this considering all measured responses are met with defensiveness by the OP but I wanted to share a little bit of modern conservation tidbits since it's really cool, imo. 

Also dang I really want some wild boar ribs rn 

9 people like this

On 10/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, Victor-933 said:

you're such a 9K111

I'm gonna eject my white hot load all over your face.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

I'm gonna eject my white hot load all over your face.

No threats of arson please.

On 10/9/2017 at 1:07 PM, Vallium said:

Okay yeaah but why are you guys hating on environmentalists? Sure, the world would be better off without humanity and nothing we can do is going to 100% reverse damage unless humanity stops being so populous, but that doesnt change the fact that humanity still exists RIGHT NOW, 

Why are you shitting on environmentalists and humanitarians trying to maintain a sense of balance when if there weren't any humans that made any attempts at all more species would go extinct, more land would be destroyed, and more damage would be done?

I'm pretty annoyed by the anti-humanitarian rhetoric on the basis of evolutionary timeline of the planet making it irrelevant

Would you rather all the environmentalists, ecologists, and researchers stop doing their jobs because it doesnt matter? Jeez...

I am an environmentalist, and it fucking drives me to watch legislation just slip by the general public pretty well unnoticed as bill riders. There's a lot of shit going on now, and it's waaaaay worse with Trump.

1 person likes this

On 10/15/2017 at 0:37 PM, Wrecker said:

I am an environmentalist, and it fucking drives me to watch legislation just slip by the general public pretty well unnoticed as bill riders. There's a lot of shit going on now, and it's waaaaay worse with Trump.

You want civilization to continue don't you?

Imagine how expensive almost everything would be if shipping companies pretended to care about the environment and used more refined and expensive fuel rather than the cheap sulfur-heavy stuff for cargo ships for example.

Human civilization has always been harmful for the majority of organisms. It's only going to get worse as the economy continues to slow down, decline then collapse. On the bright side the world will have a chance to recover afterward (and after the radiation from the fuel ponds and reactors settles down).

"I hate people for killing animals to eat or to control" 

oh gee whiz, I wonder how many animals were "relocated peacefully" to install your internet, power lines, generate your power, and mine the material for your electronics, and build your home. The more you have, the more damage is there.

Sorry to be an asshole, its usually not the way I am, but seriously. if you are worried about hunting causing damage, I'd think about the probability of how many companies you use, and buy from daily that probably are now standing over a drained wetland. 

2 people like this

22 minutes ago, Data said:

"I hate people for killing animals to eat or to control" 

oh gee whiz, I wonder how many animals were "relocated peacefully" to install your internet, power lines, generate your power, and mine the material for your electronics, and build your home. The more you have, the more damage is there.

Sorry to be an asshole, its usually not the way I am, but seriously. if you are worried about hunting causing damage, I'd think about the probability of how many companies you use, and buy from daily that probably are now standing over a drained wetland. 

Exactly. Hunting is necessary because we've killed off all the natural predators that normally keep deer populations in check.

Want to ban hunting? Get ready for this to happen in your neighborhood to your pets.

(warning: extremely violent, dog probably dies)

23 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Exactly. Hunting is necessary because we've killed off all the natural predators that normally keep deer populations in check.

Want to ban hunting? Get ready for this to happen in your neighborhood to your pets.

Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps we should keep hunting, but restrict the weapons to melee ones like clubs and axes. That would be good for a larf ;3

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Reveal hidden contents

From what I remember, the dog didn't die.