We desperately need a dislike button on posts. Opinions?

Revates

So, I have been pondering this for quite some time my friends. But if we can thank a post, like a post, be confused by a post and saddened by a post, why can't we dislike it? I think this system of oppression needs to be lifted! Therefore we should immediately create a dislike button fur all furrum users! <3

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/15/2017 at 2:55 AM, Faust said:

If you put it to the vote, I'd say no. 'Dislikes' fosters a culture of antagonism. If people disagree with or offended by a post they should say why, not just slap a frowny face on it.

why can't I dislike this post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

In my experience dislike buttons do nothing but start shit. If you want to start some shit, then you better make a post and put some effort into it. Dislike buttons are just a lazy way of being an ass. 

I dislike your post with effort.

• Like 1

I don't think it's okay to make 'disagree' synonymous with 'dislike'. You might as well add both if you want to implement this. You should also figure out how it would react with the reputation part of the site. 

My only fear here is that adding a dislike button might discourage users from posting, though they probably wouldn't have posted anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silo said:

My only fear here is that adding a dislike button might discourage users from posting, though they probably wouldn't have posted anyway.

I mean, we don't discourage or restrict people from chewing out someone else for a post, as long as it doesn't devolve into personal attacks, as it is.
Having a negative quick-reaction just simplifies the process for people who either can't be arsed to type out a response, or don't want to clutter up the thread.

As for the people saying "But that fosters a negative attitude":
You do know where you're at, right?
I mean, we have entire threads centered around shit-talking people. I don't see how this contradicts existing forum culture.

• Like 2

I don't think it's a bad idea. Idk how much I'd use it since I don't really "Dislike" so much as "Disagree" with posts. If I'm not feeling what someone is saying I'll either stay out of the thread or post an argument. But even if I don't use it, it still seems like a feature that might be nice to have.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:30 AM, Lucyfish said:

In my experience dislike buttons do nothing but start shit. If you want to start some shit, then you better make a post and put some effort into it. Dislike buttons are just a lazy way of being an ass. 

I just don't always want to put forth the effort to explain why I disagree with a post, so a dislike button helps me display how I feel without having to put in the effort.

Its not so much to start anything. Its just a way to say how one feels without going the extra mile to explain it, as arguments can be exhausting.

15 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I just don't always want to put forth the effort to explain why I disagree with a post, so a dislike button helps me display how I feel without having to put in the effort.

Its not so much to start anything. Its just a way to say how one feels without going the extra mile to explain it, as arguments can be exhausting.

I just think why even express you disagree if you're not going to put in the effort to say why, or be an active part of the conversation? To me it's just piping in to say "YOU'RE WRONG" without an explanation or anything, which is just... obnoxious. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

I just think why even express you disagree if you're not going to put in the effort to say why, or be an active part of the conversation? To me it's just piping in to say "YOU'RE WRONG" without an explanation or anything, which is just... obnoxious. 

No one's requiring you to put effort into your posts, to begin with.

It's a small community forum, not a college course.
Who gives a shit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/26/2017 at 5:27 PM, Vae said:

No one's requiring you to put effort into your posts, to begin with.

It's a small community forum, not a college course.
Who gives a shit.

"We're a small forum so if people want to be obnoxious and rude we should just let them"

ok vae

4 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

"We're a small forum so if people want to be obnoxious and rude we should just let them"

ok vae

On 11/23/2017 at 5:04 AM, Vae said:

I mean, we don't discourage or restrict people from chewing out someone else for a post, as long as it doesn't devolve into personal attacks, as it is.
Having a negative quick-reaction just simplifies the process for people who either can't be arsed to type out a response, or don't want to clutter up the thread.

As for the people saying "But that fosters a negative attitude":
You do know where you're at, right?
I mean, we have entire threads centered around shit-talking people. I don't see how this contradicts existing forum culture.

Also I don't see how a little picture at the bottom of a post is "obnoxious and rude," but this sounds like the kind of issue for a mental health counselor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vae said:

Also I don't see how a little picture at the bottom of a post is "obnoxious and rude," but this sounds like the kind of issue for a mental health counselor.

None of what you just said makes the behavior okay lmao

Is Phoenixed really just a shitty flame-forum now? I remember it being an actual community, not just a place for people to go to jerk off their rage boners. 

Maybe I'm just old. 

9 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Is Phoenixed really just a shitty flame-forum now?

Phoenixed Forums 2017: Roasted Ass Edition 

"My butt h̶u̶r̶t̶s̶ burns!" -  A Disgruntled Member

(This isn't a roast-post directed at you)

12 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Is Phoenixed really just a shitty flame-forum now? I remember it being an actual community, not just a place for people to go to jerk off their rage boners. 

Maybe I'm just old. 

Everywhere I post is a place for me to jerk off my rage-boner.

582a58e2541f2_cantstumpwontstump.gif.4408b6a69e7165f5760bd6d3ea4e0e2a.gif

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Maybe I'm just old. 

This sure is a lot of upset over a dumb little picture that maybe has the potential to show up under your posts, if we even have the ability to implement it.
But sure, why not.

Also you apparently forgot what FAF was like.

I dunno if this place needs more buttons, but if there's no posts to use them on, well, who cares?

Might wanna think about why everyone pretty much left, and think of ways to build a community.

I mean, sure...it's fun to be sarcastic, caustic, and all, I like that too, it's a good release,...but comes a time, when your forum is drying up, and you might wanna ask why.

28 minutes ago, Fossa said:

and you might wanna ask why.

Because we're a niche unknown forum in a niche fandom with no massive mother-site hub to draw viewership from and we don't advertise in any conceivable fashion. There. I answered this question.

Again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fossa said:

I dunno if this place needs more buttons, but if there's no posts to use them on, well, who cares?

Might wanna think about why everyone pretty much left, and think of ways to build a community.

I mean, sure...it's fun to be sarcastic, caustic, and all, I like that too, it's a good release,...but comes a time, when your forum is drying up, and you might wanna ask why.

Hey idiot the "community" is just fine, people just don't really use this website as much anymore. And the ones who "left" didn't do it because the staff were poor at community management; they left because they couldn't keep their politics to themselves and reaped the consequences.

Forums are a dying medium and have been for the last decade because other services like Twitter do the same thing only better. I know you're like 40 and way too old to be making snarky "GOTCHA" posts online to places that are supposedly dead, so you might not be hip with the times, but pretty much every furry forum except FAF is inactive ever since "furry twitter" became a thing.

As a final note i think it's hilarious how many people expected Phoenix, the spiritual successor to FAF, to not be full of sarcastic shitposting. A lot of us are here because we like that kind of thing. We like laughing at fandom drama and ribbing eachother and prefer it to the type of "UwU licks ur face" shit that used to saturate furry forums of the 2000's. 

TL;DR learn your history, go outside, and read a book Captain Hindsight.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Fossa said:

Other than the points Pachi and Zara already covered, because they are very much facts that apply, it does beg the question of why you're still here if the tone of the community doesn't suit your personal tastes.

There are plenty of furry spaces that already cater to the "furriendly ^.^" murrpurr atmosphere that people have said they want from us on occasion, through implication or directly.
Why though?
That's not what oldFAF was, and that wasn't something that we ever tried to foster here. Why bring it here? Why can't you go to the existing spaces that this already applies to?

It's like going into a Chinese restaurant and bitching when they don't serve you enchiladas. It's self-entitled, lacking in awareness, and stupid.

Going back to the original topic about dislike reactions, the only counterpoint I see being raised is that it will make people feel insecure because they can't make excuses and debate against a post reaction.
And to that I say "So fucking what."

4 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Forums are a dying medium and have been for the last decade because other services like Twitter do the same thing only better.

I strongly disagree with that. Twitter is a horrible platform for any kind of discussion outside of memes and shit flinging. It's a bit better now that they doubled the character limit, but the interface still sucks balls.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Socketosis said:

I strongly disagree with that. Twitter is a horrible platform for any kind of discussion outside of memes and shit flinging. It's a bit better now that they doubled the character limit, but the interface still sucks balls.

Any "discussion" that involves self-contained thoughts of more than 280 characters isn't discussion, it's a lecture.

I make a lot of silly jokes about "nerd essays" because I legitimately believe they are the cancer of discourse. The only post on this forum I have ever read that was over a paragraph long and felt illuminated by was the time Garth made a thread about visiting China. Everything else was vacuous grandiloquence and repackaging of arguments and opinions I have heard before from smarter people than the ones posting them. I don't count my own threads here because I don't read my own posts, but they are undoubtedly great works of art that should be studied at the highest level of academia.

I'm not even trying to be insulting here when I say that if you're trying to be intellectually enriched you're looking in the wrong fucking place; read a book nigga.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Twitter's funtional superiority is debatable but also irrelevant. Because at the end of the day, Twitter and similar sites/apps built around social immediacy is what's primarily being used today. Everyone is using Twitter. Even people who dislike it. In that regard, Twitter is objectively better than forums because thats all that matters; how many people use it daily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2017 at 12:30 AM, Zaraphayx said:

because other services like Twitter do the same thing only better.

You lost me

If there was a disagree button, I would have clicked it :^)

I personally believe forums are much better than most other forms of discussion websites because threads are open and visible to anyone and everyone on the forum and content isn't hidden or hard to find where you need to be "following" the right people just to see them. On most forums, you don't have to scroll down forever to see replies in most of them, instead going to another page before the web page just gets over bloated with content that slows down your browser. You don't have to constantly click a "see more button" to see what people have to say, only for some comments to be hidden from view because they're unpopular or offensive. Threads also last forever and are bumped, meaning you can revive and accumulate discussion over time so that even slow moving unpopular topics get attention from those interested in them both in the past and present.

I realize that at the end of the day everyone is using chat services and social media websites like the aforementioned Twitter and so on, but because of the positive features that forums provide, I think a lot of people who care about what the forums they visit are like want to keep their forums populated as best they can with the forums not falling apart due to whatever dramas may occur and not lose what communities they have to these social media websites.

I disagree with Lucy on the concept of a disagree button, but I can empathize with the desire to not see forums die.

(RIP Starfox Online and Nichegamer Forums for me personally)

14 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Any "discussion" that involves self-contained thoughts of more than 280 characters isn't discussion, it's a lecture.

I make a lot of silly jokes about "nerd essays" because I legitimately believe they are the cancer of discourse.

But I have a lot to say about video games.

Where can I find this book written about the worldbuilding in Final Fantasy XII and how it strengthens the game on the whole?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Twitter being #better is #objective as @Tsuujou said. I find Twitter more chaotic than the forums due to the nature of how posting goes. It's just a medium that is more mobile accessible than the forums (the forums work like utter garbage on my mobile device). But, twitter is more like walking in a crowd of thought bubbles with some slight tie of being "organized" through the use of hashtags. The other thing going for it is its API where many other media can work with it, ie sending a tweet when you post on Instagram/Twitch/Tumblr etc...

Anyways if people are afraid of being disliked, disagree may feel a bit more middle ground for folks? A torn sheet of paper would also be a great reaction post for posts where you see some people's POVs but torn on whether or not you're inclined to agree with everything stated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2017 at 10:30 PM, Zaraphayx said:

Hey idiot the "community" is just fine, people just don't really use this website as much anymore. And the ones who "left" didn't do it because the staff were poor at community management; they left because they couldn't keep their politics to themselves and reaped the consequences.

Forums are a dying medium and have been for the last decade because other services like Twitter do the same thing only better. I know you're like 40 and way too old to be making snarky "GOTCHA" posts online to places that are supposedly dead, so you might not be hip with the times, but pretty much every furry forum except FAF is inactive ever since "furry twitter" became a thing.

As a final note i think it's hilarious how many people expected Phoenix, the spiritual successor to FAF, to not be full of sarcastic shitposting. A lot of us are here because we like that kind of thing. We like laughing at fandom drama and ribbing eachother and prefer it to the type of "UwU licks ur face" shit that used to saturate furry forums of the 2000's. 

TL;DR learn your history, go outside, and read a book Captain Hindsight.

Irrelevant but I am fucking loving how this post sent Fossa to the Phoenix Shadow Realm.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1