We desperately need a dislike button on posts. Opinions?

Revates

13 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Actually you know what really bodied this forum? Discord. lmao

This tbh. It makes me wonder about a lot of web communities though, like ones running for over a decade. Even videogame companies have their own discord channels overshadowing their own forums. Are they all gonna shut down someday or something?

I'm pretty sure Discord will be replaced by another type of Discord because some company will probably buy them out since I'm sure there's some kind of unsustainable mass it will reach at some point even with their paid plans. I mean look how long it took IM to die out and things like Teamspeak/Mumble etc to really become overtaken due to Discord.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Doggo said:

This tbh. It makes me wonder about a lot of web communities though, like ones running for over a decade. Even videogame companies have their own discord channels overshadowing their own forums. Are they all gonna shut down someday or something?

Please nerf Discord.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:30 AM, Zaraphayx said:

As a final note i think it's hilarious how many people expected Phoenix, the spiritual successor to FAF, to not be full of sarcastic shitposting. A lot of us are here because we like that kind of thing. We like laughing at fandom drama and ribbing each[add spaces, genius]other and prefer it to the type of "UwU licks ur face" shit that used to saturate furry forums of the 2000's. 

Nobody wasn't expecting the site to be full of shitposting. If the post-NDA debacle anarchy or the existence of the blackhole was any proof, Phoenixed was destined to keep same quality of shitposting or surpass it. We've pretty much all seen the piss bottle threads, the nerd essays and the like, with the accompanying shitposts to mock them - but we've moved on to avoid them (unless for some reason it was expected some would follow us to this site, which is just cold).

From my point of view: I didn't follow you guys here to shitpost 24/7. Rather, I came here because I found most of you to be more respectable than your average irl person with good posts to boot. Of course, there were many times that I was frustrated with some response, but generally this is how I feel about the 'community'.

Nevertheless, we're usually stuck now with some ridiculous post and its parody counterpart (which shouldn't exist without the rules being changed) or good posts with no responses to them. Essentially, if you want a response, say something stupid. No point in trying to make legitimate discussion most of the time. I mean, who's going to read through a nerd essay, right?

TL;DR: No fun allowed; Smartass pursuits only

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Silo said:

Nobody wasn't expecting the site to be full of shitposting. If the post-NDA debacle anarchy or the existence of the blackhole was any proof, Phoenixed was destined to keep same quality of shitposting or surpass it. We've pretty much all seen the piss bottle threads, the nerd essays and the like, with the accompanying shitposts to mock them - but we've moved on to avoid them (unless for some reason it was expected some would follow us to this site, which is just cold).

From my point of view: I didn't follow you guys here to shitpost 24/7. Rather, I came here because I found most of you to be more respectable than your average irl person with good posts to boot. Of course, there were many times that I was frustrated with some response, but generally this is how I feel about the 'community'.

Nevertheless, we're usually stuck now with some ridiculous post and its parody counterpart (which shouldn't exist without the rules being changed) or good posts with no responses to them. Essentially, if you want a response, say something stupid. No point in trying to make legitimate discussion most of the time. I mean, who's going to read through a nerd essay, right?

TL;DR: No fun allowed; Smartass pursuits only

What's fun for you isn't fun for everyone else.

I, for instance, don't enjoy reading paragraphs of condescending, poorly thought out insults disguised as"insights" from people who have no life experience outside of cyberspace.

I'm under no obligation to read anything you write just because you think it's worth reading and neither is anyone else. That isn't your call to make. If the people want memes and shitposts that's what's getting the views.

• Like 3

the new reactions should be edgy & cool. here are some ideas:

pQutm8b.png islamic content

f9L77Tv.png autistic

naFQPnG.png powerlevel

dKJF8a3.png dumb

that way, you can prove how much of a not-hugbox you are, by consistently "liking" the posts of your friends & people with similar worldviews, while also getting to dogpile people with differing views by mass-tagging them as autistic.

you won't even need to read posts that are different from what you believe, as such posts will have been massively downvoted already! 

finally, don't forget to constantly remind one-another about how you all aren't in an echochamber, all the time. constantly. never stop telling each other that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazooie said:

the new reactions should be edgy & cool. here are some ideas:

pQutm8b.png islamic content

f9L77Tv.png autistic

naFQPnG.png powerlevel

dKJF8a3.png dumb

that way, you can prove how much of a not-hugbox you are, by consistently "liking" the posts of your friends & people with similar worldviews, while also getting to dogpile people with differing views by mass-tagging them as autistic.

you won't even need to read posts that are different from what you believe, as such posts will have been massively downvoted already! 

finally, don't forget to constantly remind one-another about how you all aren't in an echochamber, all the time. constantly. never stop telling each other that. 

Why can't you stupid commies ever deliver a joke without radiating more salt than Poseidon's ass??? lmao

Were you one of the people that Null snubbed because he was too busy taking a shit to answer the door?

Link me your thread :3

• Like 4

I might appreciate some more "react" options, but already, I've started to see people use "reacts" on FB to be passive-aggressive, and it's just childish, cowardly, and annoying, and leads to the same or even, worse fights as when people just disagree openly.

• Thanks 1

Can you two get a room? And just because there was a suggestion to add other reaction button features doesn't mean people are suggesting to turn this place into Kiwi Farms: Furry Edition. 

In any case, if there'd be this much fighting over the idea of there being a dislike button, then for the sake of this community, I don't think it'd be wise to implement it. With the way this thread makes it seem, the forum would just further implode on itself.

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

Can you two get a room? And just because there was a suggestion to add other reaction button features doesn't mean people are suggesting to turn this place into Kiwi Farms: Furry Edition. 

In any case, if there'd be this much fighting over the idea of there being a dislike button, then for the sake of this community, I don't think it'd be wise to implement it. With the way this thread makes it seem, the forum would just further implode on itself.

I'm an exhibitionist, don't kinkshame me fuckboi

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Can you two get a room?

oh i stopped responding to zara's posts after the second one if you didn't notice

And just because there was a suggestion to add other reaction button features doesn't mean people are suggesting to turn this place into Kiwi Farms: Furry Edition.

negative signaling indirectly leading to extremely insular communities is something i believe the edgelords like to rag on too; reddit comes to mind

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kazooie said:

oh i stopped responding to zara's posts after the second one if you didn't notice

negative signaling indirectly leading to extremely insular communities is something i believe the edgelords like to rag on too; reddit comes to mind

negative signalling that seems entirely centered around you and you alone

i wonder why that is

8DxmZY6.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Victor-933 said:

negative signalling that seems entirely centered around you and you alone

i wonder why that is

either because my arguments are poor, or because the people preforming the negative signaling are trapped in some kind of echochamber, and completely lack self awareness

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kazooie said:

either because my arguments are poor, or because the people preforming the negative signaling are trapped in some kind of echochamber, and completely lack self awareness

maybe its because nobody here likes you

which im pretty sure been stated verbatim

multiple times

probably because you will not shut the fuck up about god damn politics and refuse to stop trying to start fucking fights with everything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victor-933 said:

maybe its because nobody here likes you

which im pretty sure been stated verbatim

multiple times

probably because you will not shut the fuck up about god damn politics and refuse to stop trying to start fucking fights with everything

LR7AoHU.png

5 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Feeling left out? ;3

You can sniff my crotch if you'd like. Just don't expect me to look you in the eyes.

Well it's more like animals tend to check each other's junk out before trying to ascertain dominance. One person keeps flashing their junk that no one wants...

2 hours ago, kazooie said:

I find Reddit's downvote system discourages discussion and encourages popular thoughts, but I believe that's due to the fact that anything that gets too many downvotes gets hidden or pushed to the bottom of the page hidden from view. Its not quite the same as just pointing out that you dislike or disagree with something via buttons in themselves since, at least on a forum like this one, everyone's opinions and views would still be just as visible, so there's no hidden unpopular comments or having to dig through the comments to find such views. Plus Reddit also has the problem where some communities won't let you post in them the same amount as other users if you don't have enough karma, another result that discourages dissent.

I think the biggest thing that tends to create insular communities is hostility (something that the aforementioned site Kiwi Farms that you compared to also has a lot of). If people don't feel safe or welcome someplace its harder to expect said places to hold onto any dissenting views. Of course, this thread unfortunately has some degree of hostility in it. However I don't think the idea of a dislike or disagree button themselves are the problems that would create such a community is moreso what I'm getting at. That the implementation of it alone wouldn't lead to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I find Reddit's downvote system discourages discussion and encourages popular thoughts, but I believe that's due to the fact that anything that gets too many downvotes gets hidden or pushed to the bottom of the page hidden from view. Its not quite the same as just pointing out that you dislike or disagree with something via buttons in themselves since, at least on a forum like this one, everyone's opinions and views would still be just as visible, so there's no hidden unpopular comments or having to dig through the comments to find such views. Plus Reddit also has the problem where some communities won't let you post in them the same amount as other users if you don't have enough karma, another result that discourages dissent.

I think the biggest thing that tends to create insular communities is hostility (something that the aforementioned site Kiwi Farms that you compared to also has a lot of). If people don't feel safe or welcome someplace its harder to expect said places to hold onto any dissenting views. Of course, this thread unfortunately has some degree of hostility in it. However I don't think the idea of a dislike or disagree button themselves are the problems that would create such a community is moreso what I'm getting at. That the implementation of it alone wouldn't lead to it.

o yea, i agree that it's more than just a single factor; an "autistic" or "downvote" button isn't alone enough - but i do believe said factors can help contribute to such an environment of perceived hostility & tribalism (through mechanisms previously illustrated)

Technically, if a fucking emote below your post can cause this many issues, so could actually posting something, positive or negative.
If you want to make a statement against "hugboxing" (Which, fucking lol, this place is anything but, considering how much contention happens in every single goddamned thread. This one included.),
because of the concept of a disagreement, then there's no point in posting anything either.

Just don't post anything, period.
Because someone who no one agrees with might get a dissenting opinion thrown their way. Or two. Or three.
And we can't hurt their feelings. God forbid. That would just make us a dang dirty troll forum.

• Like 2

Hugbox/echochamber would imply your opinions here are removed or hidden if we don't like them (Reddit) and you are forcibly ejected from the community for your stances (FurAffinity Forums).
Far as I'm concerned, neither has happened here once. I don't even think the regular users will tell someone to leave the forums just for having a stance. At most I've seen them ask why someone who claims to hate this place is still here but that's a perfectly sensible question.

• Like 3

Speaking of which, I always like the accusation of us being a hugbox, or banning users for shady reasons, or whatever, coming specifically from people who repeatedly come back just to start shit.

If we were a hugbox, why the fuck would your ass even still be here? Lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Hugbox/echochamber would imply opinions we don't like here are removed or hidden

yep

tho the mechanism edgelords use for the mediation of acceptable discourse is slightly more anarchistic than traditional moderation; you usually need a critical mass of reactionaries for it to precipitate

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kazooie said:

yep

tho the mechanism edgelords use for the mediation of acceptable discourse is slightly more anarchistic than traditional moderation; you usually need a critical mass of reactionaries for it to precipitate

No idiot you just used the word wrong because you don't know English lmao

• Like 2

Well I understand the concerns for lack of discussion (or at least a response when one disagrees) the prime difference with Reddit, and having one here is that you can see who is clicking on reaction buttons, vs just being downvoted to hell and the post becoming less visible/hidden.

So if you see who reacted you can challenge them with a "why do you disagree" as it won't be hidden.

1 hour ago, kazooie said:

no, you can definitely have a community of intellectually insular individuals form without having a set of explicit rules spelling it out.

The first page was full of vehement disagreement you literal moron.

You don't know what an echo chamber is. Go outside.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

The first page was full of vehement disagreement you literal moron.

You don't know what an echo chamber is. Go outside.

i mean, either that, or the first page was full of the exact same band of five people who understand that the threat of the Special JeW virtue-signaling tumblrite hugboxes must be destroyed at all costs

4 hours ago, kazooie said:

i mean, either that, or the first page was full of the exact same band of five people who understand that the threat of the Special JeW virtue-signaling tumblrite hugboxes must be destroyed at all costs

image.png.b27e0714767f382ca56c12c9d80ce420.png

Thanks for playing dumbass, lmao.

P.S. It's time to go outside.

• Like 4