Rant: "Don't forget to like and subscribe!"

DevilishlyHandsome49

Anyone else hate it when someone on Youtube does that? Not only that but they sometimes embed links into their video that lead to a "subscribe" page?

There's a subscribe button under the video, as well as a "like" and "share". Why do they feel the need to remind people of that in their video?

I can only interpret it as one of two ways: they think the people watching their video are too stupid to see those buttons or they're that desperate that they have to beg remind you to like and subscribe their content.

I dunno, just bugs me.

• Like 2

How dare they try to remind you to follow their content if you enjoy it. How dare they request for you to share their content if you enjoy it. How dare they?! How dare they try to get their name out there?! How DARE they D:<

I don't know. This seems like an equivalent of crying if an artist signs their work, or provides sources for you to find their galleries.

You can simply see and enjoy something, or even hit a like on it as much as you want. But in reality, that doesn't really do jack for people. What is really going to help content-creators is following them, and sharing their content. It really does help a lot. Both for helping them to be known, and just for motivation and confidence.

Edited by Hewge
  • Like 5

Well, it is simple, whenever someone asks me to like, comment, or subscribe I explicitly do none of those things. Yes, they are begging you to press those buttons, no one should have to do that, the content itself should convince you to do so.

• Like 2

I get annoyed when people hammer or belabor the point. Some Youtubers manage to do it so quickly and seamlessly (or they're funny or entertaining about it) that I don't notice.

What I REALLY hate is when some website instantly starts wailing at me to create an account or "like" them on Facebook, so that I have to click outside of some box that prevents me from seeing what I came to see. Fuck off.

I'm also getting irritated with people pestering others to "like" or support their personal projects or endeavors. It's one thing if I authentically want to support a friend, or if I genuinely like what my friend is doing; it's quite another when I feel like my arm is being twisted.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

How dare they try to remind you to follow their content if you enjoy it. How dare they request for you to share their content if you enjoy it. How dare they?! How dare they try to get their name out there?! How DARE they D:<

I don't know. This seems like an equivalent of crying if an artist signs their work, or provides sources for you to find their galleries.

You can simply see and enjoy something, or even hit a like on it as much as you want. But in reality, that doesn't really do jack for people. What is really going to help content-creators is following them, and sharing their content. It really does help a lot. Both for helping them to be known, and just for motivation and confidence.

Basically. I dunno. After a twenty minute VSauce video I don't have a problem with 10 seconds of self promotion at the end of it. I guess I'm just not petty.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with that. I often forget to do that actually, to like and subscribe if I liked something. If they do it at the start of the video however, even before making me see what the goddamn video is about I am only annoyed. When that crap happens I just press the dislike button instead and bye bye

I think the absolute worst is hearing people say things like "Lets get this video up to 1 thousand likes"

Fuck off

well sure thats annoying, I only know of one person being theRadBrad whom talks if the video does get a certain amount of likes he'll upload that series much more than another, he'll bump videos of said series in front of the upload queue as that's what people want to see more.

eh, I think those bits in videos are done as more of a courtesy thing or something

and for normies who don't really use internet much.

B-but they rob me of two precious seconds of my life listening to that I never get back!

The last time I heard somebody say "Please like and subscribe" I ripped off my cat's head in rage and drank her blood. Youtube killed my cat!

Them: Here you go! A nice, delicious piece of pie! For free! : 3

You: Oh my god! MMMMMMMMMMMM! *much munch munch munch* HOLY FUCK THAT WAS THE BEST! IT WAS DELICIOUS :3

Them: I'm glad you liked it ^_^ Can you do me a favor? Would you mind if I signed you up to a free meal notification system and if you show your support for my pies if people ask? ;3

You: ..... GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU PIECE OF SHIT! HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!

You: Oh my god! MMMMMMMMMMMM! *much munch munch munch* HOLY FUCK THAT WAS THE BEST! IT WAS DELICIOUS :3

Them: I'm glad you liked it ^_^ Can you do me a favor? Would you mind if I signed you up to a free meal notification system and if you show your support for my pies if people ask? ;3

Lame attempt at trying to be clever. That example isn't similar to the point I made in the OP at all

well sure thats annoying, I only know of one person being theRadBrad whom talks if the video does get a certain amount of likes he'll upload that series much more than another, he'll bump videos of said series in front of the upload queue as that's what people want to see more.

Okay, now that's a way to promote a like, cause it actually holds a purpose as to what kind of content should be given higher priority

This is a post I made, it  was made by me so it is cool and good and I did it all for you.

Please 'like', quote, and follow my profile on phoenix dot corvidae dot org for more great posting.

• Like 4

This is a post I made, it  was made by me so it is cool and good and I did it all for you.
Please 'like', quote, and follow my profile on phoenix dot corvidae dot org for more great posting.

I can only follow you once. :[

Wow, steal my content and get all the likes and follows, will you. I should invoke copyright and get your content removed.

Honestly
Sometimes I DO forget to do these things for content creators I follow. It isn't as if I go into a CGP Grey binge watch session with "Gosh I'm gonna like and comment SO hard" at the forefront of my mind. Chances are I just have the playlist fullscreened on one monitor while I'm playing a game on the other.
So when the dude takes a second a the end to be like "Yo, did you like that shit? Buddy, friend, please take like a tenth of a second to hit a button for me so my content can reach more people who might like it too eh, pal, mate, chum?", you better believe that if I did like that shit, that I'm gonna take a few seconds to pause the video, hit like, and then resume the playlist.

And for people on YouTube who create said content as their actual job, and primary source of income, reminding what I'm pretty sure is a far larger number than just myself that these buttons have a genuine effect on how easily their content is found for the tens of thousands of people that might be interested in the stuff they produce, is fairly integral to both the growth of their channel, and their ability to pay the bills and feed themselves.

And yes, of course the like system has so much utility beyond just upping their place in the search rankings. It's a pretty damn solid indicator of what content a viewer base enjoys most, which is tied directly to what is going to make a content creator more money.
So, often, it's pretty well necessary to remind the several thousand viewers who've likely forgotten, that there are buttons to hit that help them have a say in what their favourite content creators put more focus and effort on in the future.

I know plenty of us would like to believe that we will always have the faultless presence of mind to do all these tiny, easily overlooked things while you're clicking on a bunch of cool ass videos showing what happens when you drop balls of white-hot Nickel into different shit, but you know you're always forgetting. Taking this ridiculous "Well if they keep telling me to do it, I'm just gonna NOT want to do it" attitude is a tad childish, isn't it? Taking this contrarian attitude all because you don't wanna do what mommy the Let's Player politely asks you to do if you want to do it?

The reason people do this and are advised to do so is because it creates activity on the channel, which youtube then translates as activity on the channel and boosts the page for the front page and the related pages. Which then creates more traffic on the channel for views. Big youtubers are paid through adsense and with people watching those ads, even just the 5 second skip clips, it boosts their numbers and puts them at the top of Youtubes list of, "hey you might like this."

So really no, I don't find it annoying. It's part of the job.