Jump to content
Data

just checking in

Recommended Posts

Just curious if anyone still really uses the forums and if so how everyone's been since....well...2016-17 >or if I was active after that, that date I guess<. Had a nostalgia trip and remembered this place. Hope everyone's doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Data said:

Just curious if anyone still really uses the forums

I and some other blokes still do, just for the occasional shitpost every now and then. As deserted as it may be and despite me coming to despise it in like 2016, Peenix is still miles better than the tumoral alternatives we got these days. "Social media". Twitter? Facebook? Or even worse... FurAffinity Forums?? That's gonna be a big ass yikes from me boss, fuck that shit. Better stay here away from all that bullfuckery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 6:49 AM, Ckiimyir said:

I and some other blokes still do, just for the occasional shitpost every now and then. As deserted as it may be and despite me coming to despise it in like 2016, Peenix is still miles better than the tumoral alternatives we got these days. "Social media". Twitter? Facebook? Or even worse... FurAffinity Forums?? That's gonna be a big ass yikes from me boss, fuck that shit. Better stay here away from all that bullfuckery

People just don't like big platforms because it's harder to be popular on a site with thousands of people who are smarter, funnier, and better looking than them.

hardtoswallowpills.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

People just don't like big platforms because it's harder to be popular on a site with thousands of people who are smarter, funnier, and better looking than them.

hardtoswallowpills.jpg

Trad Catholics, kpop fans, politicians, furries, and degenerate weebs shouldn't all be in the same place forced to see each others posts

On 7/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, Data said:

Just curious if anyone still really uses the forums and if so how everyone's been since....well...2016-17 >or if I was active after that, that date I guess<. Had a nostalgia trip and remembered this place. Hope everyone's doing well.

i post on faf sometimes

i come here to visit for some reason just cause if i start posting on a site its nigh impossible to get myself to stop posting on the site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

People just don't like big platforms because it's harder to be popular on a site with thousands of people who are smarter, funnier, and better looking than them.

hardtoswallowpills.jpg

Me not being there is an act of mercy for them then 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Trad Catholics, kpop fans, politicians, furries, and degenerate weebs shouldn't all be in the same place forced to see each others posts

Technically, nothing forces you to see anything. You just gotta log off the goddamn internet.

I exist. That's just about all I can say other than trying to stick to a consistent workout regimen lately. Quarantine keeping all the summer shit closed is kind of driving me the stir-crazy batfuck insane.

I can do without all the "[x] IS pRoBLemAtiC and if u disagree w/ me u are a ToXiC bIGoT RAcISt" shit on social media, because I literally do not fucking care.
But that's what keyword filters are for. Which I use liberally. So it's no big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 1:29 AM, Zaraphayx said:

People just don't like big platforms because it's harder to be popular on a site with thousands of people who are smarter, funnier, and better looking than them.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, Battlechili said:

Trad Catholics, kpop fans, politicians, furries, and degenerate weebs shouldn't all be in the same place forced to see each others posts

algorithm... Some rando who doesn't even get you angry doesn't keep you on a site, a popular or polarizing person does. 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, Vae said:

Technically, nothing forces you to see anything. You just gotta log off the goddamn internet.

Yes, but that's cowardice.

guacamole nigga penis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Silo said:

algorithm... Some rando who doesn't even get you angry doesn't keep you on a site, a popular or polarizing person does.

Is that why forum activity dropped off a fucking cliff after I got tired of listening to a bunch of low IQ nitwits bicker over semantics and stopped posting? LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, Battlechili said:

Trad Catholics, kpop fans, politicians, furries, and degenerate weebs shouldn't all be in the same place forced to see each others posts

I honestly don't even know how to respond to this post.

What do you think people did for thousands of years before social media? Do you think interdisciplinary/interfaith dialogue just didn't exist? Do you believe in some weird caricature of the past where people lived in homogeneous paradise with ONLY people who looked, thought, and did exactly the same thing as each other?

People do not even get along in the sort of cultural enclaves you appear to view necessary for a healthy social environment - look what happened to this place.

I can break down why the internet sucks ass into two major pain points for you:

1.) People online are just an amalgamation of all of their most vocal opinions and it is impossible to comprehend their humanity in this environment.

2.) The generations that matured/are maturing with the internet as their primary social environment have been utterly fucking ROBBED of their future. They have no value to place in anything except constant analysis and reconstruction of their own identities. There is no path towards actualization, personal growth, or a meaningful role in society, they have no control over anything material and neurotically over-analyze the immaterial in the futile search for purpose in a world that has no use for them.



 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

1.) People online are just an amalgamation of all of their most vocal opinions and it is impossible to comprehend their humanity in this environment.

What'd you mean by "their humanity"? Their actual day-to-day way of being? The kind we'd see if we observed their interactions with say family and friends? And not their online persona, where they drop some retarded comment on social media (i.e. Twatter) as if it were a big official statement?

7 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

2.) The generations that matured/are maturing with the internet as their primary social environment have been utterly fucking ROBBED of their future. They have no value to place in anything except constant analysis and reconstruction of their own identities. There is no path towards actualization, personal growth, or a meaningful role in society, they have no control over anything material and neurotically over-analyze the immaterial in the futile search for purpose in a world that has no use for them.

Could you provide an example please? Not asking in a challenging manner, I'm simply curious what'd you mean with those exactly, sounds interesting

 

 

19 hours ago, Silo said:

Yes, but that's cowardice.

It ain't bro. Misery loves company; what you just said is what those retards want you to believe so you keep showering them with attention they'd otherwise never get. It's not cowardice, it's mental sanity to refuse to engage with people who you already know will wholly shit on whatever point you make and strut about like they're victorious, no matter how well-argumented you may have been. Reasons vary: insecurity, venting, utter self-righteousness and lack of humility, engaging in arguments with the sole intent to prove how superior you are and belittle your opponents, plain stupidity... It's just a massive waste of time

 

 

Expanding on what Zara said, I got two more possible reasons why the internet sucks donkey cocks:

1) news outlets, small or big, preying on oversensitive people to feed the outrage machine, on both ends of the political spectrum;

2) people just don't know or refuse to treat each other with dignity/respect

And yeah, I've been guilty of these, but see it don't matter if only me or you try to improve as people and be better speakers, be "gentlemanly", as fedora-tipping that may sound, since there's way more people who have yet to also reach a sufficient level of maturity.
At first I was like "there's too many young pepo on da interwebz, and yong pepo stupid and emotional and disrespectful yo", but then you see fully grown people also doing incredibly childish, petty high-school tier shit (I'm talking about internet "drama", blindly believing what the news say without question, doxxing, using buzzwords as a substitute for argumentation etc.) or even better kids behaving better than "adults" and realize that that ain't it chief: it's not the kids, it's just the mongoloids.
Maybe it's my fault, maybe I'm imagining things or have been simply unlucky enough to stumble upon shitty people only or frequent the wrong sites, maybe it's because I don't go out much, but it really does seem like people only treat each other like shit these days. Again, I've also been guilty of being a cunt and I worked towards fixing it, and again it don't matter because we're surrounded by dickheads that don't look into themselves, don't see or ignore their faults and believe they're perfect instead and everyone can go fuck themselves because screw you I'm always right yadda yadda yadda. I swear, the mental growth of some of these shitsuckers stopped at like 14

And that ladies and gentleman is why...

On 7/7/2020 at 11:30 PM, Vae said:

You just gotta log off the goddamn internet.

Seriously, I've been feeling best and got more done the least I frequented sites that are in any way "social". Just use the internet to watch cat videos and listen to music lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Is that why forum activity dropped off a fucking cliff after I got tired of listening to a bunch of low IQ nitwits bicker over semantics and stopped posting? LOL

Dunno. Ask them. 

I can't speak for any of those people.

4 hours ago, Ckiimyir said:

It ain't bro. Misery loves company; what you just said is what those retards want you to believe so you keep showering them with attention they'd otherwise never get. It's not cowardice, it's mental sanity to refuse to engage with people who you already know will wholly shit on whatever point you make and strut about like they're victorious, no matter how well-argumented you may have been. Reasons vary: insecurity, venting, utter self-righteousness and lack of humility, engaging in arguments with the sole intent to prove how superior you are and belittle your opponents, plain stupidity... It's just a massive waste of time

Ah, I'm not entirely serious. Whatever somebody does with their free time is their choice.

The only way around that is what Vae said, getting off the internet, or as you suggested, not engaging with them, but what's the fun in that? 

 

There are people who are willing to engage in meaningful arguments, but they sure as hell won't be on the internet.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

What do you think people did for thousands of years before social media? Do you think interdisciplinary/interfaith dialogue just didn't exist? Do you believe in some weird caricature of the past where people lived in homogeneous paradise with ONLY people who looked, thought, and did exactly the same thing as each other?

You're exaggerating it but kinda

Prior to large scale social media, people posted on smaller forums for likeminded interests. A furry forum, a video game forum, specific game forums, anime forums, all sorts of individual smaller communities. People would have a set of specific smaller communities with some common ground in them that they'd visit. Consequently there wasn't constant discourse from people completely outside their own subculture knowledge.  People wouldn't be flooded with unwanted kpop fancams or have politics shoved in their faces or have people with no understanding of their communities poking their noses in beyond the occasional troll that'd appear for maybe a week and disappear. There was no algorithm to make people see things they didn't want to see.

I dunno, maybe I'm just projecting my own frustration with certain aspects of social media on others.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Is that why forum activity dropped off a fucking cliff after I got tired of listening to a bunch of low IQ nitwits bicker over semantics and stopped posting? LOL

iirc i could've probably kept that going but like

why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

You're exaggerating it but kinda

Prior to large scale social media, people posted on smaller forums for likeminded interests. A furry forum, a video game forum, specific game forums, anime forums, all sorts of individual smaller communities. People would have a set of specific smaller communities with some common ground in them that they'd visit. Consequently there wasn't constant discourse from people completely outside their own subculture knowledge.  People wouldn't be flooded with unwanted kpop fancams or have politics shoved in their faces or have people with no understanding of their communities poking their noses in beyond the occasional troll that'd appear for maybe a week and disappear. There was no algorithm to make people see things they didn't want to see.

I dunno, maybe I'm just projecting my own frustration with certain aspects of social media on others.

Makes sense. Lumping vastly different people together with different aspirations is always a disaster waiting to happen. And this ain't, say, a country, where you've got to make compromises for the common good (or don't, and have everything go to shit): there's no need to share space together on the internet where you aren't bound by limitations in space or resources, unlike real life. If you don't like me (I'm saying in general, certainly not to you specifically Chili) that's fine: I can go make my own site, create my own space with my own rules.

Here's a good thing about the internet that's overlooked, and that I'm seriously starting to consider myself. Maybe in some hypothetical future if I'll care enough I'll do something like that: set up my own server, my own site, my way, and all the dipshits I despise can go straight to hell. I'll call it... Outer Haven :v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I dunno, maybe I'm just projecting my own frustration with certain aspects of social media on others.

grinningdog.thumb.jpg.ac133fedb62d7e889ad40555d25e5e06.jpg

Yeah it's this one.

Online social hubs predate twitter and 'always online' monoculture by almost a decade and they were EXTREMELY popular in their time.

FARK, Something Awful, Ebaumsworld, Reddit, Digg, Slashdot, 4chan... the list goes on.
 

5 hours ago, Ckiimyir said:

Makes sense. Lumping vastly different people together with different aspirations is always a disaster waiting to happen. And this ain't, say, a country, where you've got to make compromises for the common good (or don't, and have everything go to shit): there's no need to share space together on the internet where you aren't bound by limitations in space or resources, unlike real life. If you don't like me (I'm saying in general, certainly not to you specifically Chili) that's fine: I can go make my own site, create my own space with my own rules.

Here's a good thing about the internet that's overlooked, and that I'm seriously starting to consider myself. Maybe in some hypothetical future if I'll care enough I'll do something like that: set up my own server, my own site, my way, and all the dipshits I despise can go straight to hell. I'll call it... Outer Haven :v


Literally the opposite.

"social justice" on a real-life global scale does not work because resources are limited and inequality is an inevitable consequence. It doesn't work as a socio-political aspiration for the same reason: eventually you reach a critical mass of mutually exclusive and contradictory needs/wants that can only be approximated by half-measures that satisfy no one.

The only resource online is attention and this longing for a smaller, tight-knit community is directly related to your lack of engagement with the real world around you. Most people get their social needs met by IRL connections and see the internet purely as a vehicle to draw more attention to themselves, not make friends or talk about shit.

Your personal website will be dead on arrival because you don't even have a fraction of the charisma required to maintain a cult of personality lmao.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

FARK, Something Awful, Ebaumsworld, Reddit, Digg, Slashdot, 4chan... the list goes on.

hmm

I concede defeat

I do think this ignores the increase in popularity of internet use among the common person but

Well, yeah I guess it was always there in some capacity. You're right.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

The only resource online is attention and this longing for a smaller, tight-knit community is directly related to your lack of engagement with the real world around you. Most people get their social needs met by IRL connections and see the internet purely as a vehicle to draw more attention to themselves, not make friends or talk about shit.

Your personal website will be dead on arrival because you don't even have a fraction of the charisma required to maintain a cult of personality lmao.

I don't know man, I only see projections here. By your same logic Facebook should be dead since it's run by a soulless corporate robot, unless you seriously want to have me believe Mark Zuckenberg is in any way "charismatic" lol. Ergo, you don't need charisma to run a successful website. To clarify, when I say "personal" website I simply mean "made by me, with my rules", nothing more; it certainly does not entail a personality cult. Not that I'm serious about this whole idea anyway. 'Tis all just that: an idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ckiimyir said:

I don't know man, I only see projections here. By your same logic Facebook should be dead since it's run by a soulless corporate robot, unless you seriously want to have me believe Mark Zuckenberg is in any way "charismatic" lol. Ergo, you don't need charisma to run a successful website. To clarify, when I say "personal" website I simply mean "made by me, with my rules", nothing more; it certainly does not entail a personality cult. Not that I'm serious about this whole idea anyway. 'Tis all just that: an idea


What do you know about charisma?

You think you can entices your users to put themselves under 24/7 surveillance and not only get away with it but still make billions?

You think you could testify before congress and get out a single sentence without stuttering and shitting your pants?

You think you can hit a 3inch target at 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope?

Don't talk shit about Zuckerberg, meatbag.
image.png.211ff1459e42de5a09a343b13c447b89.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

You think you can entices your users to put themselves under 24/7 surveillance and not only get away with it but still make billions?

You think you could testify before congress and get out a single sentence without stuttering and shitting your pants?

You think you can hit a 3inch target at 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope?

1) If your users are that retarded then absolutely, in fact it's telling of my 200000000Q the fact that I'm not subscribed to that shitty site. I mean, I used to be but shhhhh don't tell anybody it's a secret

2) If I'm high then probably. I'm sure Mr Zucc took a few pillies for the nerves and even those barely kept him from bursting lol

3) Shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern social media was crafted in such a way as to subtly turn everyone into cops, and cops aren't very popular these days. Everyone can see each other's shit, dig through each other's likes. We had people digging through post histories and being terrible on the old forums but nothing as bad as now.

Twitter has no edit button, and everything you say can and will be used against you if some random person decides to try and collect the general bounty on everyone else's head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WALFTEAM said:

Modern social media was crafted in such a way as to subtly turn everyone into cops, and cops aren't very popular these days. Everyone can see each other's shit, dig through each other's likes. We had people digging through post histories and being terrible on the old forums but nothing as bad as now.

Twitter has no edit button, and everything you say can and will be used against you if some random person decides to try and collect the general bounty on everyone else's head.

People were like that on forums too, make no mistake.

FAF itself had site staff who were accountable to no one and used their power to punish people they didn't like, they brought that culture with them here and choked the potential this place had in the cradle

Anytime anyone controversial, offensive, or retarded gained some notoriety on FAF the same loud, career victims would cry and moan at every possible opportunity that they needed to be banned.

The only difference is that with Twitter these people are weaponizing the entire planet against you and not just a subculture of a subculture.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much prefer having the subculture of a subculture going after me than the entire internet. I'll take the worst forum mods of old over algorithms and traumatized outsourced third-world labor.

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Bro is this an old school slapfight? Hell yeah

image.png.1f18e46fdb7bf3ca91749b53f77a4d9e.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...