Twitter is a bad place, where bad things happen

WALFTEAM

A lot of posts on places that are not Twitter tend to be about how bad Twitter is, and that's fine, because no website ever devised will be quite as destructive on a wide scale.

Twitter's rise coincided with a period when people got a lot more sad, angry and desperate. It just took over more and more of the internet as the 2010s dragged on. It's at the point where if the place disappeared tomorrow, the damage it's done would linger for a very, very long time. It's certainly not a good sign that among most of the surviving active web forums the only ones where people are remotely doing OK are the ones that are dedicated to a specific hobby.

I guess what really bothers me the most on Twitter are the suggestions. You can't turn them off. You can barely adblock them. I don't want to follow "topics", and I definitely don't want to know who or what I might like. Everything I see has this creepy algorithmic prioritizing, you know you're being manipulated but where else can you go! Look at all this rapid-fire Discourse!!!

Anyway every forum now seems to have a thread for dealing with the social medias and how awful they are so I guess this can be the one for here.

Twitter is the perfect exemplar of a customizable society as a mirror: misery in, misery out.

I follow smart ppl on twitter that are committed to discovery and love, and the app serves me a constant stream of wretched fools that I can dunk on for dopamine. I enjoy my time on there.

• Like 1

Dunking on people is mean :(
And one of the bad parts of twitter...everyone feels the need to one up each other :(

Twitter isn't too bad for me these days though. I became super trigger happy with blocking and now I only see cute art and posts from friends. Best to use it in moderation though, I've found its not a very good use of my time and in long term detrimental to my mental health. honestly more relaxing to just talk to friends on discord or better yet in person

living in a city that has people in it is so nice y'all

...that's fair i guess

i don't like the idea of being mean to anyone even if they were horrible. its important to forgive yknow? plus all that negative energy just doesn't feel good imo
But its not right of me to push that on ppl so fair enough. People on twitter can be really lame so i getcha

On thinking about it, I've made good friends on Twitter and in some ways Twitter was a way for me to get closer to the friends I've already had. I still don't like Twitter, but it deserves credit for at least succeeding on the social aspects some

Its also a sorta glimpse into the twilight zone

20210606_015124.jpg.edaedc803bd376b6036176ecccf05fc6.jpg

Twitter has a direct alternative too, called Mastadon, and it's worse and better in all the wrong ways. Human moderation! Federation! No post limits! Live feeds of everything on a given instance! Twitter was one big IRC channel for the planet and this fixes the "channel too big" and "messages too small" problem.

The big problem is that Mastadon is heavily fragmented, the userbase is small, and as a consequence the nutjobs stand out. Since Twitter lets you be a pretty big nutjob you have to be pretty messed in the head to get banned from there and as such there are countless extremist-oriented Mastadon instances. Hopefully this won't get too bad but some of the extremist instances are worrisome.

I mean, if a bunch of nutjobs have enough anonymity and an easy place to congregate... Literally anything that relies on user-generated content can and will turn into a shitshow at some point. 

Algorithms and advertising are the prime ways for sites to make money, so not surprised that they're being used by tech giants. 

--

Also, Nigeria is fucked.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:34 PM, WALFTEAM said:

Twitter has a direct alternative too, called Mastadon, and it's worse and better in all the wrong ways. Human moderation! Federation! No post limits! Live feeds of everything on a given instance! Twitter was one big IRC channel for the planet and this fixes the "channel too big" and "messages too small" problem.

The big problem is that Mastadon is heavily fragmented, the userbase is small, and as a consequence the nutjobs stand out. Since Twitter lets you be a pretty big nutjob you have to be pretty messed in the head to get banned from there and as such there are countless extremist-oriented Mastadon instances. Hopefully this won't get too bad but some of the extremist instances are worrisome.

The thing you ppl who rail against mainstream social media will have to contend with one day is that you don't get to have a normie-friendly, popular website full of vibrant new faces and a diverse community without all of the garbage that comes with it.

I'm old enough to remember when the Internet was just for weird nerds and 'extremists' and it was better that way. When normal people and all of their backwards npc priorities (popularity, fame, excesses of wealth and luxury) seeped their way into online spaces on the back of digital commodification and e-commerce the entire ecosystem suffered. The memetics of brainless social shaming, identitarian politics, corporate shilling, and the feeling of irrelevance, atomization, and depersonalization that everyone clumsily whines about impotently are the result of an unchecked assimilation of the waking world into the digital one.

Here's the short of it: your choices are a heavily fragmented userbase full of nutjobs and weirdos, or the matrioshka brain singularity of twitter where no one cares about you and a 19 year old boy in Kansas gets 300k interactions for tweeting "cum". There is no Kingdom of Heaven on the Internet, no paradise where we all will ascend and cast off the tethers of crony capitalist brainwashing. Only a dirty commune in the desert where sometimes you have to share a watering hole with a fat guy with schizophrenia in his mom's basement who thinks he is Pol Pot reincarnated.

• Like 3