Things that scare you

StrangerCoug

What are some things that scare you personally?

My list:

• Loud, sudden noises. Fire alarms are notorious for this for me, but I'm bothered by thunder as well, and there were certain movie/television logos/bumpers/SFX that scared me as a little kid.
  • Heights to a certain extent. I like having stable ground under my feet or reasonably close to them. I'm OK with flying but I'm convinced there are some pretty good reasons why they don't let inexperienced pilots do transoceanic flights.
  • As much as I hate to admit it... rejection. I want to be accepted for who I am. Yes, I'm a little crazy, but I don't want to be seen as a freak. That's why I like my inner circle of friends—they don't see me that way. (I DO want new friends, though.)
  • Like 1

My biggest fears are:

• Heights is my worst, I'm petrified of heights.
  • Deep water, it's only when I can't see the bottom.
  • The Dark sort of. I've always been terrified of the dark, when I was a kid I always used to go to my parents bedroom crying and begging them to let me sleep on the floor. But I've gotten a lot better over the year and I've started running at night which is helping me conquer this fear.
  • Rejection in way, I'm very hesitant with what I do/say around new people/friends for ages before I can be comfortable enough to act like myself.
Edited by Revates

• Spiders. They're more intensely creepy and off-putting than scary though.
  • Syringes, more specifically the thought of having to have an injection of some sort directly into a vein, my eye, my neck, my wrist, my foot or something like that. I'm really squeamish too so if I start thinking about stuff like that and I'm in a place I feel I can't get away from easily (e.g. a cinema, classroom, or just a place with lots of people) to go sit down for a bit, then I come quite close to fainting which really isn't a nice feeling. Stuff like jags/vaccinations are fine because they're just quick wee jabs in your arm, but if I ever get Type 2 diabetes I'll probably black out (or at least come close to it) the first couple of times I need to inject insulin.
  • Finding out I had a big bit of homework to do, the night before it's due in.

• Snakes. It's okay if they're behind glass or something, but out in the open they're like creeping scaley spectres. I guess they aren't all bad, but I keep a respectful distance.
  • Money. Specifically, having to spend it. I have these pathological fear of running out. Guess that's why I'm so frugal.
  • That someone will find my list of scares and use them against me.

unstable/insecure situations (like high bridges and ladders, or roads with no crosswalk)

unpredictable or angry people

big scary bugs and spiders

the likelihood of dying before i've managed to become anything or get anywhere with my life

those spooky grey aliens

sometimes clowns

Giant fantasy spiders. I can deal with spiders all day in person, they're fine, but when I'm watching a film or playing something and a huge... drooling... hairy... spider comes out and starts making the awful sounds of it's plates clicking together, I have to find a way to get through it quick.

Insects that can bite/sting and/or have more then 6 legs.

Sharp things, usually syringes, however other objects such as knifes too at times.

Calling people I don't know with my phone, or worse, strangers calling me on my phone.

Any form of homework. Gives me a heart attack every damn time, it hurts.

Edited by KyleNeon
Spelling mistakes are strong once again.

I noticed a hell-load of people are afraid of heights... I personally find it a bit weird. I love the view from a higher angle: I always sit at the window when travelling by plane, went in tall structures like the Eiffel Tower, Tour Montpernasse and the London Eye. In my opinion it gives a whole different view on the world beneath me, but I guess thats just me then.

A fear of heights makes sense and is perfectly rational considering that half a million people a year die from falling from 0 feet (slipping).

Every additional foot adds acceleration that hardens the impact.

Have I mentioned I'm afraid of fatality statistics.

• Like 1

A fear of heights makes sense and is perfectly rational considering that half a million people a year die from falling from 0 feet (slipping).

Have I mentioned I'm afraid of fatality statistics.

I guess technically their head falls the height of their body and somehow 6 feet is far enough to be fatal

the only way to be safe is to crawl along the ground

i ain't necessarily afraid of heights, but i'm terrified of falling.  this crawling on the ground business sounds quite OK.  and natural for a gator type, too.  i'mma get on that.  being two-legged is overrated anyway.

I  have agoraphobia, so wide open heavily populated places always tug pretty damn heavily on my nerves. I've had more than a few panic attacks as a result.
Thankfully my anxieties are somewhat alleviated by familiarity. If I have one of my roommates with me I can usually deal, or if it's just a stonesthrow from home and I know it will not be any trouble to get myself back home should things become too overbearing.

Vomiting is another thing that has a horrid effect on my mentality. Hearing people telling detailed stories about times they've been sick is enough to destroy my appetite for days. I just can't get the imagery out of my head and it causes nausea and anxiety. And the awareness that I myself might be getting sick enough to reach that point has caused plenty of panic attacks as well. Similarly whenever I see it in pictures or videos online, and in movies as well. I refuse to watch anything Jackass related. I refuse to get drunk. It doesn't bother me so much in videogames however, not sure why.

And finally, operating a motor vehicle. I've only been behind the wheel a few times in my life, and I was absolutely terrified each time. It's an assault on the senses, and knowing that a single mistake, and not necessarily even a mistake that I myself am responsible for making, can end lives, I don't want any part in that.

• Like 1

Vomiting is another thing that has a horrid effect on my mentality. Hearing people telling detailed stories about times they've been sick is enough to destroy my appetite for days. I just can't get the imagery out of my head and it causes nausea and anxiety. And the awareness that I myself might be getting sick enough to reach that point has caused plenty of panic attacks as well. Similarly whenever I see it in pictures or videos online, and in movies as well. I refuse to watch anything Jackass related. I refuse to get drunk. It doesn't bother me so much in videogames however, not sure why.

I have this phobia as well. It's fucking awful. Just hearing somebody say they don't feel well will make me panic on the inside.

I noticed a hell-load of people are afraid of heights... I personally find it a bit weird. I love the view from a higher angle: I always sit at the window when travelling by plane, went in tall structures like the Eiffel Tower, Tour Montpernasse and the London Eye. In my opinion it gives a whole different view on the world beneath me, but I guess thats just me then.

I get it! Like I said, as a kid I loved being up high and being able to see everything from a new perspective. The ultimate irony for me is that I could NOT stand to be by the window in my old office (it was on the 7th floor) but I have next to no anxiety when I'm in the window seat of an airplane - and we know airplanes crash a lot more than 7th floor office windows spontaneously blow out and suck you out to your doom. Nobody said fear was rational! I think that Zara hit it for me:

If I had to try and pin a time on my fear of heights developing, I would guess it developed when my mother shared a news article with me about people who were repainting the inside of a water tower falling to their death after a scaffold failure. Oddly enough, the story she shared about people being electrocuted while getting out of the showerbecause a remodel of the bath's shower doors went wrong and hit some electrical circuits never bothered me.

THANKS MOM.

They're inescapable and extremely exhausting. Also unrelenting. This makes for a deadly combination.

It is ungodly stressful when they tell you what you should be and need to be doing, matters you already know of without even considering what important matters you are dealing with at the time. Because, y'know, it's not like it's anything they can't deal with.  

Edited by Mr. Fox

That everyone will figure out the very complicated little lies I tell myself and the people around me to give the impression I'm a functional, empathetic human being. 

I'm afraid because it'll ruin the control I have on it, and not because folks will find I don't function properly. Its uncomfortably easy to slip into different roles into a bunch of different functions. 

I have a fear of heights, but only when I feel I may actually fall or if a high area is too open - I love flying in airplanes, skyscraper observation decks, and high overlooks. I'm terrified of ladders, roller coasters, and cliffs.

I also have an irrational phobia of bees that would probably make me jump off a cliff from the top of a ladder attached to a roller coaster if it meant I could get away from a bee.

Probably the closest thing I have to a normal fear is slicing injuries. The thought just makes me uncomfortable somehow. It's not even the pain that bothers me but the feeling of something sliding through your skin can just fuck right off. I don't have any abject terror sort of fears though (that I've discovered anyway) but as a trade off I get a lot of anxiety in certain social situations.

I do not like swimming in lakes or places where I cannot see the bottom.

When I was a very small pup my parents lived near a lake. We were on a picnic by the lake and we were going to swim once we had finished and had settled a bit. There was a couple next to us who were also picnicking. The man jumped into the water, had a cramp and began to sink. The woman he was with panicked and jumped into save him. She was screaming for help. Another man in a boat, fishing, came and tried to pull the woman back up. The man was drowning and had a hold of her ankles and pulling her under. Finally, with a great heave, the man in the boat jerked her out of the water and almost went overboard backwards (The man she was with most likely let go of her ankles and passed out.) My father and three other men there were diving into the lake and looking for him for nearly 20 minutes until the authorities arrived. There were bubbles where the man had gone down and they continued for about an hour. After a further 20 minutes with the sheriff's office divers looking they found the man, Nothing could be done.

My parents felt so helpless and it really spoiled going to the lake for us. We even sold the house because none of us wanted to go back and relive it. Later, my parents enrolled the whole family in American Red Cross Adult CPR and First Aid.

To this day, I cannot set foot into a lake without thinking about seeing someone drown before my eyes..

Edited by Skylar Husky

The prospect of dialysis.

bad kidneys?

ot: heights, deep water, spiders (I had to kill a big one with fucking fangs in my shower the other day...I'm still checking it everyday to check if more don't live there), crowds, and 

being rude irl. :3 I hardly ever see people with that phobia, but it's one I've had since I was a child. I think it's because of how I was raised. 

I do not like swimming in lakes or places where I cannot see the bottom.

When I was a very small pup my parents lived near a lake. We were on a picnic by the lake and we were going to swim once we had finished and had settled a bit. There was a couple next to us who were also picnicking. The man jumped into the water, had a cramp and began to sink. The woman he was with panicked and jumped into save him. She was screaming for help. Another man in a boat, fishing, came and tried to pull the woman back up. The man was drowning and had a hold of her ankles and pulling her under. Finally, with a great heave, the man in the boat jerked her out of the water and almost went overboard backwards (The man she was with most likely let go of her ankles and passed out.) My father and three other men there were diving into the lake and looking for him for nearly 20 minutes until the authorities arrived. There were bubbles where the man had gone down and they continued for about an hour. After a further 20 minutes with the sheriff's office divers looking they found the man, Nothing could be done.

Oh, poor guy... :(