Rant: Using "Straight", "White", or "Cis" as an Insult

Sidewalk Surfboard

This shit pisses me off. When people are arguing with others and use "straight", "straighty", "white", "whitey", "cracker", "mayo", "cis", "cissy", or "cishet" as insults, it really makes me mad. Why? Because it's absolutely disgusting to do, and yet they act like it's justified because some assholes have used the opposite insults before. Let me just say now that hate will never fight hate. All it does is cause more problems, and by using these things, how the hell are we going to achieve equality? There will always be assholes in the world, always be homophobes and racists and transphobes, but there's no way we can fix that. Some people won't change their mind. But, the thing we shouldn't do is be racist or heterophobic or cisphobic back. What is that going to accomplish? All it will accomplish is making YOU look as equal an asshole as the other person. It makes you just as bad as them. And by acting like you can't be an asshole because you're gay or something like that is a shitty thing to think. It just makes the rest of the LGBT look bad. And before any of you go "wow cissy ur really mad fucking straighty : ^ )", I'll have you know I'm bisexual, and yes, indeed cis. But that doesn't stop people from calling me straight when I call them out for their bad behavior. This shit needs to stop if we're wanting to achieve equality. Hate does not fight hate. Fighting fire with fire achieves nothing. And acting like you're excluded from racism and the like because you aren't cis or white is a disgusting way of thinking. Rant over.

You+deserved+it+_59a56bc896561168cc43bb1b2501f156.jpg

• Like 7

I'm in agreement with the core of your argument, but I can't help but point out that you literally just made the case for why using bigoted language isn't harmless and SJWs have ironically made their point about using words like 'faggot' because straight white people are unironically getting offended at their usage of slurs directed at them.

• Like 2

I'm in agreement with the core of your argument, but I can't help but point out that you literally just made the case for why using bigoted language isn't harmless and SJWs have ironically made their point about using words like 'faggot' because straight white people are unironically getting offended at their usage of slurs directed at them.

I'm confused, what do you mean by this?

Sorry, I'm not a very gifted writer.

What I mean to say is that this rant is validating for advocates of political correctness, because you are an example of a straight, white, cis person making a complaint about slurs being used against you.

Not that I'm sympathetic to their position or anything because I'm more or less impervious to being offended.

In normiespeak: "It doesn't feel so good when it happens to you, does it? :^)"

• Like 3

Sorry, I'm not a very gifted writer.

What I mean to say is that this rant is validating for advocates of political correctness, because you are an example of a straight, white, cis person making a complaint about slurs being used against you.

Not that I'm sympathetic to their position or anything because I'm more or less impervious to being offended.

In normiespeak: "It doesn't feel so good when it happens to you, does it? :^)"

Oh fuck off with that. It shouldn't happen to anyone in the first place. This is what I'm angry about, people acting like assholes when someone gets slurs thrown towards them, trying to justify it by being all "yeah look what you did to us doesn't feel good does it????"

• Like 3

If you were bullied for a really long time, don't you think at one point you'd snap back and bully them back? Or 'stoop to their level'?Ā 

Remember when your parents told you that if you just ignore your bullies, they won't bully you? But ignoring them never did help, did it?Ā 

I mean, obviously I agree with Zara; Mayo, Cissy, etc are just stupid inboth usage and sound. Even in language. Like, 'mayo' is the best you could come up with? Really? But you also gotta think about where they're coming from. Some of them, anyways. 2% of them are legit, the rest are internet slacktivists.Ā 

If you were bullied for a really long time, don't you think at one point you'd snap back and bully them back? Or 'stoop to their level'?Ā 

Remember when your parents told you that if you just ignore your bullies, they won't bully you? But ignoring them never did help, did it?Ā 

I mean, obviously I agree with Zara; Mayo, Cissy, etc are just stupid inboth usage and sound. Even in language. Like, 'mayo' is the best you could come up with? Really? But you also gotta think about where they're coming from. Some of them, anyways. 2% of them are legit, the rest are internet slacktivists.Ā 

That doesn't justify this kind of behavior from anyone. I understand how they feel, but it still isn't justified.

• Like 2

As someone who's white as hell, I've always found people getting insulted by terrible insults such asĀ "mayo" and "cracker" was hilarious. I laugh at white people all the time because I'm white and I know how white people are. It's just funny.

• Like 4

I'm going to have to say, yeah, these are stupid insults used by stupid people, and the thing is the words have no history behind them to even be offensive. Being offended by them starts to give them power, so - don't. Don't get offended by them, laugh. Because this shit is pathetic and really kinda funny. Are we going to make up insults for people with hair now? We've been oppressing the bald for way too long.

• Like 3

I'm going to have to say, yeah, these are stupid insults used by stupid people, and the thing is the words have no history behind them to even be offensive. Being offended by them starts to give them power, so - don't. Don't get offended by them, laugh. Because this shit is pathetic and really kinda funny. Are we going to make up insults for people with hair now? We've been oppressing the bald for way too long.

You say that now, but after the Tumblocaust happens and straight white men everywhere are put into internment camps those of us who survive will finally be able to form the NAAWP and any trans person with high concentration of melanin who ever deigns to say 'cracker' with the hard -er will suffer our wrath.

• Like 2

As someone who's white as hell, I've always found people getting insulted by terrible insults such asĀ "mayo" and "cracker" was hilarious. I laugh at white people all the time because I'm white and I know how white people are. It's just funny.

It always makes me laugh when white people actually feel hurt by being called a "cracker". Really? You feel hurtĀ about being called a food item that you have with cheese and dip?

At least white people get called a food when they're called "cracker". Black people get called animals, ignorant, dumb, ugly... Can I be called a food? Black licorice? At least some people like black licorice. Its anĀ acquiredĀ taste :V

But no, being called food totally hurts...

It always makes me laugh when white people actually feel hurt by being called a "cracker". Really? You feel hurtĀ about being called a food item that you have with cheese and dip?

At least white people get called a food when they're called "cracker". Black people get called animals, ignorant, dumb, ugly... Can I be called a food? Black licorice? At least some people like black licorice. Its anĀ acquiredĀ taste :V

If someone called me a mayo-cracker bitch I'd probably laugh my ass off.

See it's the fact one has to bite their tongue while the other gets away with a veiled insult disguising disrespect and contempt.
If both can say what they think freely then fine, but one getting to bash the other when we are supposed to see each other as equals is not going to work.

I treat it like any other "slur", with a complete and utter lack of anything resembling a shit. That kinda shit only has power over you if you let it, so if you realize how stupid-sounding most slurs are (seriously 'gook' sounds like something out a Dr. Seuss book) and not care shit's cool.

I mean it's the reason why loads of people on the internet (and in general to a lesser extent) aren't super offended at the word 'faggot'. When it's used so fucking often and in so many different contexts it loses any kind of real meaning outside of "retarded asshole". I mean I'm not gonna start walking up to black dudes and calling them 'niggers' because I'm not suicidal, but if I jokingly say "shit nigga" or something with friends no one's gonna care even though most of said friends are black and/or mexican.

I will say though I'm guilty of using "slurs" when I'm sufficiently pissed or that one time I was taking literal fucking anger pills while playing Splatoon online. Seriously every word was some variation of chink.Don't take abilify kids, seriously for the love of god don't.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 1

So I am confused, what the hell does CisĀ mean in this context?

In the world of chemistry Cis- and Trans- describe isomers (molecules with the exact same atoms and numbers of atoms, but different arrangement/s.) This specific example refers toĀ chain-like carbon molecules with double bonds in them.Ā 

Cis-butene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisā€“trans_isomerism#/media/File:Cis-2-butene.svg

Trans-butene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisā€“trans_isomerism#/media/File:Trans-2-butene.svg

In a manner of speaking, I guess they could be called opposites, but they really aren't in a stricter sense.

Ā 

Is the term being applied to refer to folks who are not trans-gendered?

Ā 

Edited by Skylar Husky

See it's the fact one has to bite their tongue while the other gets away with a veiled insult disguising disrespect and contempt.If both can say what they think freely then fine, but one getting to bash the other when we are supposed to see each other as equals is not going to work.

I get what you're saying but I just can't wrap my head around people really getting offendedĀ by "cracker". Sure it may be associated with disrespect but the slur itself just doesnt have that same impact as words like "nigger" or "faggot"

You can say those two words with such venom and hatred and it can cut deep.

Most people when they hear "cracker", food comes to mind. No matter how mean you try to make it sound and even with the historical context that @Sir GibbyĀ stated, the general person will automatically think of the food item and see it as "Oh Im as white as a cracker".Ā Not "They're referring to my possibleĀ ancestors cracking the whip"Ā 

Why not use the term "Whipper" or "Oppressor"? Using "cracker" is such a poorly implemented slur. Almost always, it will be associated with food.Ā 

Should it be used? No but whileĀ it is used, I really dont think people should get extremely bent out of shape over it for the reasons I made in this post

I get what you're saying but I just can't wrap my head around people really getting offendedĀ by "cracker". Sure it may be associated with disrespect but the slur itself just doesnt have that same impact as words like "nigger" or "faggot"

You can say those two words with such venom and hatred and it can cut deep.

Most people when they hear "cracker", food comes to mind. No matter how mean you try to make it sound and even with the historical context that @Sir GibbyĀ stated, the general person will automatically think of the food item and see it as "Oh Im as white as a cracker".Ā Not "They're referring to my possibleĀ ancestors cracking the whip"Ā 

Why not use the term "Whipper" or "Oppressor"? Using "cracker" is such a poorly implemented slur. Almost always, it will be associated with food.Ā 

Should it be used? No but whileĀ it is used, I really dont think people should get extremely bent out of shape over it for the reasons I made in this post

Well I think this goes into the whole childish thing of, teasing and the other gets to take it.
Like when your brother or sister would touch you then when you tell them to stop does the I'm not touching you bit making it aggravating.

It shouldn't be annoying or such but the fact one gets to tease the other and if they say anything they are racist not the one doing the teasing or even bullying in a social sense.

• Like 1

Well I think this goes into the whole childish thing of, teasing and the other gets to take it.Like when your brother or sister would touch you then when you tell them to stop does the I'm not touching you bit making it aggravating.

It shouldn't be annoying or such but the fact one gets to tease the other and if they say anything they are racist not the one doing the teasing or even bullying in a social sense.

Alright, I can see you on that. However the brother sister example is a bit off

With the brother/sister scenario, the first action was one that actual upset the sister and the sister knew the intent of that first action.

With a black person and a white person, the first action of the black person calling the white person a "cracker" would most likely be met with confusion and not offense or being upset at all.

Then again, if the person is knowledgeable on the history of that word, yes, it would offend at first.

There are just so many ways the scenario would go

Being intentionally rude towards other individuals and generalizing groups of people is always bad. Some people attempt to justify such usage of the words straight and cis as insults, saying that someone without power cannot be racist or sexist or whatever to those who are in power, basically saying that its okay to treat people badly because there are people better off with more privilege.

Which is weird, because everyone has problems they have to deal with in life. Someone may have more, but trying to create more problems for another or venting against someone doesn't really solve the problem and makes people more adverse to listening to what the other has to say.

Ā 

• Like 1

Weirdo who is obsessed with Chuck-E-Cheese, who makes threads moaning about mysterious bullies being after him, that he won't give specifics on, who shits on trans people in a thread he otherwise could not have been involved in, makes a thread moaning that people called him 'white' and 'cis' dismissively.

Jesus, get over yourself.

• Like 1

This shit pisses me off. When people are arguing with others and use "straight", "straighty", "white", "whitey", "cracker", "mayo", "cis", "cissy", or "cishet" as insults, it really makes me mad. Why? Because it's absolutely disgusting to do, and yet they act like it's justified because some assholes have used the opposite insults before. Let me just say now that hate will never fight hate. All it does is cause more problems, and by using these things, how the hell are we going to achieve equality? There will always be assholes in the world, always be homophobes and racists and transphobes, but there's no way we can fix that. Some people won't change their mind. But, the thing we shouldn't do is be racist or heterophobic or cisphobic back. What is that going to accomplish? All it will accomplish is making YOU look as equal an asshole as the other person. It makes you just as bad as them. And by acting like you can't be an asshole because you're gay or something like that is a shitty thing to think. It just makes the rest of the LGBT look bad. And before any of you go "wow cissy ur really mad fucking straighty : ^ )", I'll have you know I'm bisexual, and yes, indeed cis. But that doesn't stop people from calling me straight when I call them out for their bad behavior. This shit needs to stop if we're wanting to achieve equality. Hate does not fight hate. Fighting fire with fire achieves nothing. And acting like you're excluded from racism and the like because you aren't cis or white is a disgusting way of thinking. Rant over.

You+deserved+it+_59a56bc896561168cc43bb1b2501f156.jpg

Its bcause trans people see white people using "faggot" and "tranny" as a joke, then when they say they feel offended the straight-white-cis will go "lol calm down its just a joke", so by doing the opposite these people suddenly change their tune and go "Woah woah woah, thats a shit joke stop that you cant fight hate with hate". Its basically double standards and hypocrisy.

The problem with tumblr tier SJW's is they dont realize not everyone uses these slurs, and they direct their counterattacks at the generalized group of "cissies" as if all people not like them are mocking their existence. Which is just doing what the bully is doing, basically. Like you said.

The solution would be to direct attacks at the individuals, not the group. That...and people should lay off vitriolic slurs and peopl people should stop getting insulted by harmless shit.

The solution would be to direct attacks at the individuals, not the group.

Isn't it wrong to attack people in general? If someone has a problem with something someone else does or says, wouldn't it be most sound to just calmly and respectfully explain one's issues and talk about it? People are typically more receptive and more likely to listen to each other this way.

• Like 1

I don't agree. Jesus' policy of giving the other cheek has proven to be a failure. By ignoring insults being thrown at you, you're becomnig even easier target. If someone acts against you, if someone insults you, retaliate. Bash them, gnaw them, stomp them into the ground, mix them with the mud. By any means possible.

And as for the mentioned insults... Everything can be the one. The only thing making the difference being the original intent.

Oh man, this is great. This is so stupid. I love this.

The point of an insult is to point out something shameful or negative about a person, or attack something that they feel insecure about.

Using "you're white!" "you're cis-gendered!" or "you're heterosexual!" as an insult just strikes me as laughably absurd and stupidly juvenile. OH NOES YOU HAVE DISCOVERED MY DARK SECRET; NOW EVERYONE WILL KNOW OF MY MELANIN DEFICIENCY, MY GENDER, AND MY BIZARRE SEXUAL PREFERENCE.

It only works if the person themselves feels guilty or bad about actually being white, cis or heterosexual--which I imagine some liberals do--or is afraid of "hey whitey" or "hey cissy" escalating into hazing, violence, or bullying, or if the insulter is merely using the insultee's race, gender, or sexual orientation as the foundation of a more elaborate insult (a la, "You're so white...")

Reminds me of when some idiots have tried to insult me by pointing out that I'm a cripple. Yeah, and?

I'm also reminded of this classic SNL sketch:

Ā http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f02d0b8cca/word-association-from-nino?_cc=__t___&_ccid=p8geq1.nvpbjq

ZandNtogether.JPG

Edited by Troj

apparently the term "cracker" refers to white people because they crack the whip

So I guess my kink preferences make me one of them :U

The point of an insult is to point out something shameful or negative about a person, or attack something that they feel insecure about.

I absolutely disagree.Ā  "White" and "cis" can be perfectly valid insults just as well as "nigga" or "faggot". It all depends on the original intent only. That you don't percieve them as ones, doesn't change a thing about them being used as insults.

Oh man, this is great. This is so stupid. I love this.

Using "you're white!" "you're cis-gendered!" or "you're heterosexual!" as an insult just strikes me as laughably absurd and stupidly juvenile. OH NOES YOU HAVE DISCOVERED MY DARK SECRET; NOW EVERYONE WILL KNOW OF MY MELANIN DEFICIENCY, MY GENDER, AND MY BIZARRE SEXUAL PREFERENCE.

It only works if the person themselves feels guilty or bad about actually being white, cis or heterosexual--which I imagine some liberals do--or is afraid of "hey whitey" or "hey cissy" escalating into hazing, violence, or bullying, or if the insulter is merely using the insultee's race, gender, or sexual orientation as the foundation of a more elaborate insult (a la, "You're so white...")

No, it's used to dismiss people who wouldn't know shit about other's experiences, but try to speak of their experiences anyway.Ā  So it's used as a dismissive.

"As a white person, let me explain to you what the problems with the African American community!"
"As a straight person, let me explain to you why them uppity homosexuals have it all wrong."
"As a person who is not transgendered, let me explain to you how those transgenderals (He he) are really just experiencing a phase."
"As an American, let me explain to you how those Canadians let the government take their guns away and forced them to have healthcare!"
"As a Star Trek fan, let me explain to you that all furries own fursuits that they have sex in."
"As a upper middle class bitcoin enthusiast who's never known poverty, let me explain to you why homeless people really just love being homeless."Ā  (He's not a member of this forum so it's not a call out!)Ā 

So when you see someone being dismissed for being 'straight, white, and cis' it's not directly as an insult, but it's being used to dismiss them from speaking about experiences that they know shit about but feel that they have valuable opinions to provide anyway.

Ā 

It just makes the rest of the LGBT look bad.

It should not do this.
You should not be taking your problems with a few Tumblrinas out on the rest of the LGBT population.

If you extend your problems with a few individuals over the whole, based on stereotypes, that makes you a -phobe.

Speaking strictly of matters like race / orientation / etc. If someone comes at this talking about "furry discrimination," I'm putting all of you in timeout in the stupid baby corner.

I was bullied extensively throughout school, by kids and teachers alike.
There was a time when I was shitty to people who'd done me no wrong out of defense. It didn't earn me much.

There's a difference between fighting back against your attackers, and lashing out at random people based on the assumption that they're going to hurt you.

I do understand where it comes from, but I don't think it does any actual good.

apparently the term "cracker" refers to white people because they crack the whip

Ā Huh, I learned something today.

Further response to the OP:
I regard those kinds of people on the same level as I do trolls. And some of them are trolls.
I'm not gonna take them seriously.

Also, if you're offended by "cracker" or "cissy" or whatever, you're just looking for reasons to be offended.

I think this is just another case where you need to stop letting people get under your skin so easily.

No, it's used to dismiss people who wouldn't know shit about other's experiences, but try to speak of their experiences anyway.Ā  So it's used as a dismissive.

"As a white person, let me explain to you what the problems with the African American community!"
"As a straight person, let me explain to you why them uppity homosexuals have it all wrong."
"As a person who is not transgendered, let me explain to you how those transgenderals (He he) are really just experiencing a phase."
"As an American, let me explain to you how those Canadians let the government take their guns away and forced them to have healthcare!"
"As a Star Trek fan, let me explain to you that all furries own fursuits that they have sex in."
"As a upper middle class bitcoin enthusiast who's never known poverty, let me explain to you why homeless people really just love being homeless."Ā  (He's not a member of this forum so it's not a call out!)Ā 

So when you see someone being dismissed for being 'straight, white, and cis' it's not directly as an insult, but it's being used to dismiss them from speaking about experiences that they know shit about but feel that they have valuable opinions to provide anyway.

Ā 

That's the problem though; its dismissive of other people's views simply because of how they are different. Its understandable that a person of a particular group would have more understanding of a situation that particular group is in than one that is not part of that group, but that doesn't mean that one's words said by someone who is not part of that group aren't important and/or meaningful or don't have validity; anyone can say something and it potentially be valid and important (especially those who put forth a lot of effort towards research), and to disregard someone based on their not being in a group is incredibly rude and hurtful.

Also regarding that last one; I know who you're talking about and you're right, the guy didn't know what he was talking about. But I don't believe calling him out on being rich would've been appropriate either, as someone who is rich could just as well be understanding regarding the plights of the poor.Ā 

On another note, someone not being within a group also means that they have no inherent bias towards the group, which can be important in some conversations which may have heavy bias attached to them.

Edited by Battlechili

On another note, someone not being within a group also means that they have no inherent bias towards the group, which can be important in some conversations which may have heavy bias attached to them.

So, you believe thatĀ a heterosexual person, who finds the idea of having sex with members of theirĀ own sex repulsive and distasteful, would have no inherent bias towardsĀ homosexuals who have sex with members of their own sex?

I don't think that 'inherent bias' means what you think it means.

Edited by AshleyAshes

So, you believe thatĀ a heterosexual person, who finds the idea of having sex with members of their same sex repulsive and distasteful, would have no inherent bias towards people who have sex with members of their own sex?

That's not exactly what I'm saying.

A heterosexual person doesn't necessarily find the idea of having sex with other members of the same sex repulsive and distasteful. Being heterosexual would only say that they don't desire to have sex with others of the same sex, not that they find it distasteful. If someone did find it distasteful, then yes, they would naturally have an inherent bias against the idea of gay sex.

But this isn't quite an apt comparison to what I was saying, and honestly that part you quoted I was unsure of posting to begin with because I felt it was reaching and difficult for me to appropriately write about. The problem is, is that one would have to find someone who has no allegiances towards or against a particular group's issues while at the same time having much knowledge of the said group's issues in order to adequately and appropriately speak about it.Ā 

Edited by Battlechili

Isn't it wrong to attack people in general? If someone has a problem with something someone else does or says, wouldn't it be most sound to just calmly and respectfully explain one's issues and talk about it? People are typically more receptive and more likely to listen to each other this way.

Attack/Talk out. My main point being dont call out the wrong people for being insultive. But I agree, I would prefer there be better solutions to situations, sometimes a bully is merely just ignorant and talking is the better solution.

That's not exactly what I'm saying.

A heterosexual person doesn't necessarily find the idea of having sex with other members of the same sex repulsive and distasteful. Being heterosexual would only say that they don't desire to have sex with others of the same sex, not that they find it distasteful. If someone did find it distasteful, then they would naturally have an inherent bias against the idea of gay sex.Ā 

So, please, explain to me in what scenario would there be where a heterosexual person was arguing that heterosexuality is not a real thing and simply a phase of misguided individuals, has NOT experienced anything that causes inherent bias in influencing this decision.Ā  Meaning, nothing in their social spheres influence this, like others sharing this opinion, not being taught it by family or religion, or anything like that.Ā  Please, tell me how someone comes to that decision without inherent bias influencing.

Before we continue, what I'm trying to say is that your idea that individuals can exist who do not have an inherent bias on topics is laughably naĆÆve.Ā  Literally, one of the first topics in all discussions of inherent bias is that EVERYONE has inherent bias.Ā  So how you can suggest their are individuals who do not experience inherent bias says to me that you know very little about that topic.

OK, thanks for clarifying, Ashley. (I was enjoying my image of people insulting each other like children on a schoolyard, though. "You're white!" "No, YOU'RE white!" "You're the whitest!")

This is a tricky matter, because there are times when "You're an X, so you may lack insight into Y," is an accurate and reasonable statement, and times when it's insulting, patronizing, and dismissive.

If you spend enough time with other people, and/or invest genuine energy into researching and understanding them, your appreciation of their issues can potentially be as nuanced (or pretty close) as any insider to that group.

Teenyboppers who try to tell me that I don't understand LGBT people because I'm not technically LGBT just end up making themselves look stupid.

A more accurate and fair statement would be one along the lines of, "You're an X, and haven't had much contact with Y people, and haven't researched Y in depth, so you lack insight into Y."