Kingdom Hearts (the series)

TrishaCat

I got off in a tangent about this series in another thread and decided it'd be more appropriate to discuss the series in detail in a dedicated thread to it. Speaking of which, there has been a good bit of news for the series of late disregarding Kingdom Hearts III, which the last news I'm aware of for it was that KHIII was going to have a Tangled world and a Big Hero 6 world. The NEW news however is that Kingdom Hearts 2.8 was announced. The game in question will include Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance HD, which is and HD re-release of the original 3DS game, Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage, which is a short game taking place shortly after the events of Birth By Sleep starring Aqua with similar (but not the same) gameplay to what III is going to be, and Kingdom Hearts [chi] Back Cover, which is a movie about the events of the browser game [chi]. (if I'm understanding this correctly). 2.8 is PS4 exclusive.

Anyways, anyone excited for the upcoming games? I made a thread about 2.8 back when this was FAF but it didn't last long due to the site closure and I like talking about the series in general. Have a favorite game in the series? Have a game in the series you hate? Favorite/least favorite characters? Hopes for the upcoming games? Any you're currently playing or challenges you're trying to complete? Maybe you hate the series? Should I just wait to get a PS4 at some point in the future, or should I just go ahead and grab the 3DS version of DDD since that'll likely be far off from now?

I've been playing 2.5 off and on for a while now, trying to beat 2FM on the hardest difficulty at level 1, but its been...Well, I'm stuck on Oogie Boogie. There's not a whole lot of room to avoid his attacks and the Heartless he summons certainly doesn't help. x_x

Edited by Battlechili

I only started playing since birth by sleep which is fortunate because the chronology is better starting there.

That is a pretty good start although I think you're missing out on some of the context behind certain scenes. For instance,

the beginning of the game has direct quotes said by Sora and his friends in the beginning of 1.

BBS is a great game though. Probably my second favorite in the series. Its got really good story and characters, and Leonard Nimoy as Master Xehanort was amazing. TFW he will never

see what lies beyond the Keyblade War
;_; Edited by Battlechili

Dream Drop distance really spilled a lot not beans of Xehanort's plans. Though I really want to see Aqua again. She's cool

What if she's

already half Xehanort?

But yeah, Aqua is probably one of the few people in the series that's actually got a good head on their shoulders. She's more...normal than everyone else and doesn't make really dumb decisions and such. She's the smartest of the KH protagonists. Thankfully 2.8 will have more of her. She'll probably appear in III too, considering the chess game that was being played in the beginning of the E3 trailer. She was represented by one of the pieces on the board. She seems to have an important role in it.

Edited by Battlechili

A Kingdom Hearts thread? Now we're talking. 

Okay, I'll start off with this

I love Kingdom Hearts. One of the first game series I ever fell in love with and grew attached too. Had sooo many memories playing with my friend and us trading off the controller when we died or need help with a boss and watching the story unfold together. When we finished Kingdom Hearts 2, we also would get hyped about when 3 would come out.

The gameplay was fast paced, solid, and addicting. The graphics still hold up pretty well (besides the static moving mouths). Voice acting, while cheesy at times, is still heartwarming and endearing and the base storyline is surprisingly engaging.

Now with the bad

The business side of this series, baffles me! This game series jumps across too many goddamn platforms! 1st game is on PS2, then they put in some filler game on Gameboy Advance SP, which even though the story was interesting, the gameplay sucked ass. They they return to PS2 for KH2, then go to Nintendo DS for "Kingdom Hearts three hundred over some bullshit" (sorry, just hate that name) Then to PSP for BBS and then back to Nintendo for DDD.

Why couldn't they just have made it on all consoles?! By going over all those platforms, they abandon the established fanbase on Playstation, bringing it over to another audience that knows nothing about the series prior and then back over the established fanbase. It makes the story 10 times more confusing

And they're doing it again with KH3. Why the fuck are they bringing it to Xbox as well? Its not like they're making an effort to do bring the HD versions of the past games over to Xbox. You know what that means. Another audience getting a game series they may know NOTHING about! That's like if EA were to release Mass Effect 3 on Playstation 3, but not the previous 2. Its fucking stupid

Here's an smart idea Square, even though I know smart ideas are your strong suit: release the hd remasters on current gen, don't release KH3 for Xbox and maybe release an official canon timeline so people know what the fuck is going on, cause now even I'm confused

And cancel that fucking mobile game you announced at E3 or make it non-canon cause if it is, I'll be having some words for you...

*ahem* back to the main topic

Main favorite KH games: KH1, KH2, and KH; BBS cause those ACTUALLY STAYED ON THEIR HOME CONSOLE and were just that fucking good!

Didn't play any of the nintendo DS ones, cause no, I'm not buying a ds for one game. Don't even like Nintendo products that much. Played chain of memories on gameboy advanced. Sucked. Didn't play that phone game, recoded, cause no.

Phew, that was a mouth full. Now who wants Sea Salt ice cream?

• Like 1

A Kingdom Hearts thread? Now we're talking. 

Okay, I'll start off with this

I love Kingdom Hearts. One of the first game series I ever fell in love with and grew attached too. Had sooo many memories playing with my friend and us trading off the controller when we died or need help with a boss and watching the story unfold together. When we finished Kingdom Hearts 2, we also would get hyped about when 3 would come out.

The gameplay was fast paced, solid, and addicting. The graphics still hold up pretty well (besides the static moving mouths). Voice acting, while cheesy at times, is still heartwarming and endearing and the base storyline is surprisingly engaging.

Now with the bad

The business side of this series, baffles me! This game series jumps across too many goddamn platforms! 1st game is on PS2, then they put in some filler game on Gameboy Advance SP, which even though the story was interesting, the gameplay sucked ass. They they return to PS2 for KH2, then go to Nintendo DS for "Kingdom Hearts three hundred over some bullshit" (sorry, just hate that name) Then to PSP for BBS and then back to Nintendo for DDD.

Why couldn't they just have made it on all consoles?! By going over all those platforms, they abandon the established fanbase on Playstation, bringing it over to another audience that knows nothing about the series prior and then back over the established fanbase. It makes the story 10 times more confusing

And they're doing it again with KH3. Why the fuck are they bringing it to Xbox as well? Its not like they're making an effort to do bring the HD versions of the past games over to Xbox. You know what that means. Another audience getting a game series they may know NOTHING about! That's like if EA were to release Mass Effect 3 on Playstation 3, but not the previous 2. Its fucking stupid

Here's an smart idea Square, even though I know smart ideas are your strong suit: release the hd remasters on current gen, don't release KH3 for Xbox and maybe release an official canon timeline so people know what the fuck is going on, cause now even I'm confused

And cancel that fucking mobile game you announced at E3 or make it non-canon cause if it is, I'll be having some words for you...

*ahem* back to the main topic

Main favorite KH games: KH1, KH2, and KH; BBS cause those ACTUALLY STAYED ON THEIR HOME CONSOLE and were just that fucking good!

Didn't play any of the nintendo DS ones, cause no, I'm not buying a ds for one game. Don't even like Nintendo products that much. Played chain of memories on gameboy advanced. Sucked. Didn't play that phone game, recoded, cause no.

Phew, that was a mouth full. Now who wants Sea Salt ice cream?

you're welcome to use a emu should you wish to play BBS/DDD

Loved the first Kingdom hearts, Chain of memories and BBS. 

fuck the others because their negatives far outway their positives. I don't even know what the story is anymore with the 13 darknesses and 7 Lights or whatever. I miss when Darkness was just a metaphor for greed and selfishness. Now it's like its literal shadow vs. the light spectrum. How high do you have to be? 

Aqua, Namine, Marluxia, and the Riku Replica are my favorite characters. 

My most hated is Xemnas because he is such a lazy villian. 

• Like 1

Loved the first Kingdom hearts, Chain of memories and BBS. 

fuck the others because their negatives far outway their positives. I don't even know what the story is anymore with the 13 darknesses and 7 Lights or whatever. I miss when Darkness was just a metaphor for greed and selfishness. Now it's like its literal shadow vs. the light spectrum. How high do you have to be? 

Aqua, Namine, Marluxia, and the Riku Replica are my favorite characters. 

My most hated is Xemnas because he is such a lazy villian. 

KH1, CoM, and 2 were considerably darker with that whole light and dark thing but you're right, its gotten way too literal and innocent.

And yeah, Xemnas came out of nowhere...plus fuck his boss battle! 12 year old me kept dying so many times -_-

• 7 months later...

Some new KH news has come in.

http://www.parentherald.com/articles/45075/20160522/kingdom-hearts-3-release-date-news-update-square-enix-to-release-a-new-trailer-at-e3-title-not-final.htm

http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/43305/20160521/kingdom-hearts-3-release-date-news-update-title-launching-e3.htm

Its looking like KHIII is planned to be released in April of next year, the title for KHIII is still not final, and a new trailer for the game is likely to be shown off at E3.

I wonder why KHIII wouldn't necessarily be the final title. If 3 isn't in the name people are going to think of it as a spinoff I suspect. x_x

EDIT: Oh, and since this thread was first made the game "Kingdom Hearts: Unchained x" was released on iOS and Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.khuxww&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kingdom-hearts-unchained-ch/id1086859120?mt=8

Doesn't really look all that good but its something that should go into detail a bit on what led to the Keyblade War.

Also lol:

unchained x.png

On 10/5/2015 at 2:11 AM, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

then they put in some filler game on Gameboy Advance SP, which even though the story was interesting, the gameplay sucked ass. 

reee

Chain of Memories, although more specifically its PS2 remake, I adored the combat of. It seemed to me like it basically had KH1's combat system but with all attacks locked behind cards, which in turn made combat have a bit more strategy to it. Watching your enemy's attacks and planning decks accordingly while attempting to play your cards right in order to counter enemy cards was fun imo. I realize not everyone likes that sort of thing and it could be conceived as getting in the way of what could've been a standard ARPG but I wouldn't say its gameplay is bad. Just different.

....I realize I'm late on this reply.

29 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX :the game

To be fair the usage of x in KH titles (and some terms in a couple of the games) is not supposed to be an x but actually mean chi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The numerous remakes are what have put me off this the most. I've played the original two games, as well as BBS and DDD, but I'm gonna hold off anything else until 3 gets its final release.

I love the series, but I do not like having to buy things more than once when I can YT the new content.

• Like 1

I have played them all but I've played none of the remakes, Re:Coded being the exception. My favorite was BBS, by far, for being the 'beginning' and explaning some things, as well as giving us a bittersweet look at the past. Second favorite would be 358/2 Days because of the story. χ was meh... but I do love 'prequel' things.

I highly anticipate 3's release, although I know I'll never be able to play it.

And totally appropriate:

1003250569a03639b059dfa9c7bd0bf6.jpg

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, Battlechili said:

>second playable character

AnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAquaAnyonebutAqua

I feel like it'd most likely be Riku.

You know, there's no basis for this and I fully don't expect it, but I kind of want some kind of 2 player cooperative thing. This would be really fun to play with my friend. Even if it's just some sort of arena campaign with "raids" or something. I dunno. Something where both players can spec themselves out with the stuff they've found in game.

I do know that I hope the mechs in the Toy Story world get a really decent focus. If I see some sort of combat mini games involving them, I'm going to scream.

Also, no love for Aqua? :c

On 7/18/2017 at 8:17 AM, Tsuujou said:

Also, no love for Aqua? :c

40 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Excuse you but Aqua is great.

My issue with Aqua is that her physical melee attacks are very weak in BBS. It made playing her a bit of a pain in comparison to the others, especially Terra. Personality wise, she's a bit too...perfect in my opinion. She's the only character that I think acts like a normal, kind person. Plus she has a really shrill voice. 

I haven't played 0.2 however, so maybe they made her more fun there.

3 hours ago, Battlechili said:

They did. lol
Except for the fact that her turning is weird. She feels like...a truck in a video game. If you ever play Dream Drop HD, immediately go to 0.2 and just run in a circle. You'll see what I mean like night and day. It's not a major issue during pressing combat, it just feels weird.
(Also her voice is the exact opposite of shrill. The furthest thing from high pitched @-@)

4 hours ago, Battlechili said:

My issue with Aqua is that her physical melee attacks are very weak in BBS. It made playing her a bit of a pain in comparison to the others, especially Terra. Personality wise, she's a bit too...perfect in my opinion. She's the only character that I think acts like a normal, kind person. Plus she has a really shrill voice. 

It's completely opposite with me, as I found Terra to be a pain in the ass to work with because he's soooooo slowwwwwww.

But then again, I've always been a magic user in games.

15 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

It's completely opposite with me, as I found Terra to be a pain in the ass to work with because he's soooooo slowwwwwww.

Aqua's magic is maxed the fuck out in 0.2 and since it's using what will be KH3's infinitely superior and buffed magic system, she's just a lot more versatile in that department now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still not able to force myself into liking the toy forms we're gonna be playing with in the Toy Story world... they don't look like anything you'd have seen in the movies and they just seem like lazy designs in general. Excited for the Big Hero 6 world, but in general I'm kind of worried that KH3 isn't going to be as good as it "should" be, considering the massive amount of time we've waited for it...

On 20/07/2017 at 4:41 AM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Agree with this. Thumbs way, way down for Terra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, Cham said:

Wait, why is that funny? o.O

They keep doing re-releases

There was already a KH 1.5+2.5 HD Collection on PS4. And before that the two collections were individually together on PS3. Now they're doing a collection of 1.5+2.5+2.8 even though you'd only have to buy two game discs to get all of them as it is

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Battlechili said:

They keep doing re-releases

There was already a KH 1.5+2.5 HD Collection on PS4. And before that the two collections were individually together on PS3. Now they're doing a collection of 1.5+2.5+2.8 even though you'd only have to buy two game discs to get all of them as it is

Oh heck, of course. I didn't even think about it that way lmao xD

Yeah, I feel like if you haven't bought all the games yet a three-for-the-price-of-three offer probably wouldn't be the thing to motivate you xD

12 minutes ago, Cham said:

Oh heck, of course. I didn't even think about it that way lmao xD

Yeah, I feel like if you haven't bought all the games yet a three-for-the-price-of-three offer probably wouldn't be the thing to motivate you xD

you're forgetting about the lunatic fanboys/fangirls who'd probably buy it just because it says kingdom hearts

Just now, Victor-933 said:

you're forgetting about the lunatic fanboys/fangirls who'd probably buy it just because it says kingdom hearts

Well, not really. I feel like the lunatic fanboys/fangirls already would have bought it. My point was that by this point, the people who are going to probably would have.

• Like 1

inb4 they wind up making Kingdom Hearts 2.9 before KHIII comes out

In all seriousness though, they could at least release the collection on Xbox One/Switch/PC if they're going to do another re-release. I don't see much point in re-releasing a collection on PS4 after all the games are already there.

7 hours ago, Battlechili said:

inb4 they wind up making Kingdom Hearts 2.9 before KHIII comes out

In all seriousness though, they could at least release the collection on Xbox One/Switch/PC if they're going to do another re-release. I don't see much point in re-releasing a collection on PS4 after all the games are already there.

Yeah, it seems really stupid to be releasing KH III on the Xbox One with none of the other games available on it. I mean, it's all well and good for people who buy multiple consoles, or had the originals on PS2, but it feels like there'll be a bunch of people not wanting to buy it cause they can't play the other two.

Assuming there must be a reason they're only releasing them on PlayStation consoles though...