Dragoneer is finally closing Furaffinity Forums, replacing them with a Discord server

TrishaCat

15 hours ago, ArielMT said:

He's replacing workable things with new shinies on a whim again, and he hasn't even finished getting the new shiny ready yet.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.

This means I'm going to have to be a mom mod here again, doesn't it.

If people decide to start coming here, which is looking more and more unlikely the closer the end date comes.

Which is fine, no change here. I like forums but I feel it's too late for this place. If I'm wrong and this place turns into a flourishing community again, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, BenTheVaporeon said:

so... are we allowed to try and recreate the Predators and prey game/chat here? 

Do as your heart desires, but see it through to the end

*waves*

I figured I'd check for signs of life here and wasn't disappointed. This is probably where I'll go if the Discord doesn't work out.

The thing that gets me is how many old users only came back to FAF after the announcement. Some of them were well liked and missed. Dragoneer should announce its closing more often. Although, admittedly, if it actually closes the point would be moot.

• Like 1

Never felt the compulsion to join NuFAF, but I have been sent screenshots on Discord of some of the particularly socially inept furry shit that happened there.  

I'm honestly more surprised that Neer held onto it as long as he did, period.  
Seems like something he would have washed his hands of, because of the effort involved, ages ago.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, BenTheVaporeon said:

so... are we allowed to try and recreate the Predators and prey game/chat here? 

Gross.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 6:24 PM, ArielMT said:

He's replacing workable things with new shinies on a whim again, and he hasn't even finished getting the new shiny ready yet.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.

This means I'm going to have to be a mom mod here again, doesn't it.

Dragoneer: We tried to keep many of the Discord features somewhat in parity with the forums. We understand this won't be a 1:1 replacement but we didn't want to close one door without opening another, so we tried to come to a good compromise.

And you foxxed that up just like you always do, Dragoneer. The closure of the FAF was very disrespectful. It was essentially: "Fiat accompli, your forum is going away. SUX to be you. That is all." No transition period, no making sure the replacement works. Just do it my way or the highway.

As for the "new shiny", I tried. Click on the Discord link with Pale Moon, and the damn thing crashed. OK, so maybe that wasn't the right browser, so I tried Falcon instead. Next, it opens in succession: Fire Fox, Konqueror, and Sea Monkey -- all with the same error message about unrecognized protocols. The URL was the invite, so I copy that; I Duckduckgo Discord, and see there's a client, so I download that and run it in place. I start the client, then Fire Fox, and "Paste and go" the copied URL and nothing happens, just a blank screen. When I hid Fire Fox, the Discord client displayed the FA buttons, so it succeeded silently.

I tried signing up, but Discord demanded a phone number for validation by means of a text message with a six digit code number. I don't have a cell phone, I don't want one, I don't need one. This is unacceptable. At least every other site that wants a phone number offers the option of a voice call so I can use the land line.

It's probably all for the best as the Discord ToS page is extremely long, and filled with subjects you can't discuss. It's very far from being a free speech zone. I'll just have to wait and learn all about it second hand.

2 hours ago, Simo said:

.I don't have a cell phone, I don't want one, I don't need one

H-How

No judgement just like

So many things *require* a cell phone. My current and previous job did as did my college 

Also its not Discord that requires a cell phone but rather specifically the FA Discord. You provide the cell phone to discord to verify your account. The FA Discord seems to require everyone who joins to have a verified account, most likely to avoid trolls and spammers. But technically you can use Discord without a phone. Just not the FA Discord :/

^^

These goddamn  phones are the bane of my existence. Last furry outing was to a park where lawn games was one activity. After everyone had their fill of picnic food, they stayed at the benches on these phones doing who knows what. It was not easy finding anyone to play the lawn games advertised. Then why come? They could have stayed home and done whatever was so important.

Then I see an outfit called Weather Tech's advertising a couple of very questionable items https://www.weathertech.com/weathertech-cupfone/cupfone/ Yeah, make it that much easier to text and phone instead of -- oh I don't know -- paying attention to what's going on around you as you hurl down the highway at 80MPH. Ya think?

Where I go, when I go, how long I'm gone, who I see, what I do is none of your goddamn business. I refuse to have one of those spies in my pocket.

5 hours ago, TrishaCat said:

The FA Discord seems to require everyone who joins to have a verified account, most likely to avoid trolls and spammers. But technically you can use Discord without a phone. Just not the FA Discord :/

Then t'hell with FA Discord.