The Pokemon Thread

SirRob

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, for those who have it: What's Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire like? Ruby was the first pokemon game I played as a kid and fell in love with it, but I haven't been able to justify the expense of a 3ds/2ds in a long time. :( 

As far as the ones I currently have:

• Pokemon Emerald for GBA
  • Pokemon Red Dungeon for GBA

Cool. Back to square one eh. 

Friend code is 1048-9087-6021

IGN: Fox for both oras and xy

Friend safari is bug. I have pinsir, and i forgot the other 2. Lol. It's been so long.

Yes! But at least we still have a platform for our little group to discuss and battle. I... I think I'll pass on the Pokemon Safari info. That is SO two years ago, you know?

Oh man, for those who have it: What's Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire like? Ruby was the first pokemon game I played as a kid and fell in love with it, but I haven't been able to justify the expense of a 3ds/2ds in a long time. :( 

it's acty'all a rrally neat upgrade. It's got the charm of the old yet the cool stuff of the modern. 

i lyk mudkipz, doez not lyk pikachoos

But in all seriousness, I haven't been able to force myself to play Pokemon in the last few years. HG/SS ruined it for me. I bought both because the originals were my favorite, then disappoint... Only barely forced myself through HG, barely played SS. Bought either Black or White, can't recall and too lazy to go look. Forced myself to the Elite 4 and beat them, then bored. Got OR, barely played. =/ Just ain't what it used to be to me. I do still enjoy gawking at my card collection sometimes though.

i lyk mudkipz, doez not lyk pikachoos

But in all seriousness, I haven't been able to force myself to play Pokemon in the last few years. HG/SS ruined it for me. I bought both because the originals were my favorite, then disappoint... Only barely forced myself through HG, barely played SS. Bought either Black or White, can't recall and too lazy to go look. Forced myself to the Elite 4 and beat them, then bored. Got OR, barely played. =/ Just ain't what it used to be to me. I do still enjoy gawking at my card collection sometimes though.

Huh, I thought Heart Gold did a beautiful job with remaking the original. It's actually one of my favorite Pokemon games! If you like Pokemon, but aren't interested in how the main games play, you could try one of the spin offs... Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Rumble World are both free to play. Those have been giving me my Pokemon fix lately.

You shouldn't buy a system for one game; no game is worth that much. That said, I think if you did pick it up, you'd get a really fresh experience. Even though it's a remake, the game very much has its own identity and plenty of charm. Plus, it has plenty of online features, which on its own makes things very different from the originals.

Edit: I can't actually edit the opening post; I dunno whether this is just a limitation of the forum or if it's something that can be enabled, but sorry about not being able to put your friend codes in one place!

Edited by SirRob

I am loving that i'm not the only pokenerd here!
FC: 5258-0778-8433 IGN: Mander [whodathunkit]

I mostly shiny hunt, but I am known to dabble in battling. I currently own 101 shiny Pokemon, if I had to questimate between 3 boxes and others floating around.

I have X and OR. My safari is Fire. Ponyta, Slugma, and Ninetales.

Edited by Mander
POKERMANZ

You shouldn't buy a system for one game; no game is worth that much. That said, I think if you did pick it up, you'd get a really fresh experience. Even though it's a remake, the game very much has its own identity and plenty of charm. Plus, it has plenty of online features, which on its own makes things very different from the originals.

I bought a 3DS just for MH4U... don't judge me. <<' I did get OR to help justify the purchase, probably would not have gotten the 3DS for just OR.

As for the disappointment that was HG, mostly what ruined it for me was the music and (if I remember right) how they dealt with the legendaries. The music was absolute garbage, it hardly sounded like the original sounds and was just a crappy mess for many of the tunes, like they tried too hard or something. G/S/C had my most favorite tracks of all the Pokemon games and is one of my top fav of all time just for that alone. You don't get the option of Gameboy sounds until you clear out the entire game, and by then it's like "wtf is the point?" I think I played maybe 10 minutes after I got access to the GBC sounds because there was just nothing to do but run around and listen to songs, which I have downloaded anyhow so it really was pointless for me by then...

Edited by Kinare

The music was absolute garbage, it hardly sounded like the original sounds and was just a crappy mess for many of the tunes, like they tried too hard or something. G/S/C had my most favorite tracks of all the Pokemon games and is one of my top fav of all time just for that alone. You don't get the option of Gameboy sounds until you clear out the entire game, and by then it's like "wtf is the point?" I think I played maybe 10 minutes after I got it because there was just nothing to do but run around and listen to songs, which I have downloaded anyhow so it really was pointless for me by then...

You are entitled to your opinion... but I think I need to step out of the room for a bit to cool down.

Edited by SirRob

I'm still debating if I should buy a 3DSXL, or the new 3DSXL, in order to finish X and play Alpha Sapphire. I've bought systems just for one or two games before, and it's sorta hit and miss. Sometimes I keep using it, sometimes it sits and collects dust.

I do love me some Pokemon (I keep trying and failing to complete my Pokedex, haha), but lately I find myself tiring of games quickly.

• Like 1

I bought a 3DS just for MH4U... don't judge me. <<' I did get OR to help justify the purchase, probably would not have gotten the 3DS for just OR.

I actually bought my 3ds just for pokemon xy. 

I'm still debating if I should buy a 3DSXL, or the new 3DSXL, in order to finish X and play Alpha Sapphire. I've bought systems just for one or two games before, and it's sorta hit and miss. Sometimes I keep using it, sometimes it sits and collects dust.

I do love me some Pokemon (I keep trying and failing to complete my Pokedex, haha), but lately I find myself tiring of games quickly.

get the new3dsxl instead. Only exclusive is xenoblade chronicles but I'm sure they'll be more on the way.. hopefully.. it's been more than 6 months now.. but there should be something. 

Edited by yell0wf0x

To buy the new 3DS XL or not to buy the new 3DS XL..... That is the question.

Yep, that's basically what I'm wondering at this point now. I could get a new 3DS XL and enjoy Pokemon, but that's probably about all I'd get. Maybe Smash and Animal Crossing as well.

So, on-topic I guess. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? My top two are Bisharp and Mienshao, of all things. I usually prefer water-types and birdlike pokemon, but not this time apparently. :b

• Like 1

What's everyone's favorite Pokemon?

Cat Pokemon suck horribly, so unfortunately I have to favorite a couple dogs: Houndoom and Suicune. Scizor used to be my fav just because of his appearance and badass cry and is still a top fav for sure, but he's very hard to make use of because fire is a common type and he insta-dies to a Charmander's Ember.

Cat Pokemon suck horribly, so unfortunately I have to favorite a couple dogs: Houndoom and Suicune. Scizor used to be my fav just because of his appearance and badass cry and is still a top fav for sure, but he's very hard to make use of because fire is a common type and he insta-dies to a Charmander's Ember.

Scizor's actually really good! Don't let a 4x weakness scare you off from using a Pokemon... you have your other five Pokemon to cover it!

My favorite Pokemon is Zoroark - Favorite animal, favorite type, an inspired design, fun to use in battle, and it's anthropomorphic! It's got everything!

Scizor's actually really good! Don't let a 4x weakness scare you off from using a Pokemon... you have your other five Pokemon to cover it!

He's gotten much more useful in the later gens for sure. When gen 2 first came out he was pretty much garbage, no good moves really (SD+Slash combo was 'bout the best you could do, no X-Scissor or Iron Head back then) on top of very blah speed and with that common weakness it was just stupid to ever use him, but I did anyways because he was my fav... I would still not consider using him for competitive purposes really. He's too slow to make use of his high attack and his movepool is still not really varied and useful enough IMO to make him overall useful, though I'm not totally familiar with the newest gen's additions (if any) and am too lazy to look them up atm, so perhaps that has changed.

I've also never been good at switch-out tactics in real person competitive battles. Sometimes things are obvious, but a battle can very quickly turn into a switch-out war and that's irritating. There's no "so and so is going to use something, will you switch" message to help me out. 3: Of course that would be unfair to the other person I suppose... Oh well.

Its quite sad that bug types are underated.

People rarely uses them because of how many weakness it has.

Yeah it is a shame. I know Scolipedes are at least one of the decent bug-types and do see use sometimes. Same with Volcarona and Shedinja.