Oh No! 'Rainfurrest' is Might Stop Being a Thing!

PastryOfApathy

In a shocking turn of events the most prestigious fetish convention in the world, 'Rainfurrest' might get booted from the hotel that hosts it!

Even after people shit/jerked off into their hot tube, threw used diapers at peoples carsdrilled glory holes in their public bathroomsand let this happen, fucking assholes. Some say fursecution is dead, I say they're dead wrong. We must fight this persecution by showcasing furry pride worldwide and stand united against those who wish to oppress our lifestyle, and our right to furiously masturbate to pictures of dogs fucking in public.

Show your support by tweeting with the hashtag #furrypride2015 and by donating to our kickstarter. Thank you furends! :3c

• Like 2

That's a pretty big convention, if that goes it's gonna be a pretty big disappointment for the community. There's gotta be a better way of filtering these people out of the conventions because christ that stuff is awful.

• Like 1

What are the chances that in 2016 everything will go smoothly with none of that happening and the convention will be policing its attenders very strictly?

Hopefully 0%. The shitstorm while it was going on was some of the funniest shit I've seen in a while, made even more hilarious by virtue of having fucking Taylor Swift in attendance of all fucking people.

I think they've gotten to a point in which cons are mostly just about those kind of things; everytime there's a major convention coming up or just finished you can see the chans and forums booming with threads about scandals and whatnot. This year they had this, the AIDS alleged spreading in EF, the outdoor convention banned from parks of America, the FA:U flop... Vivisector looks more like a calendar of events now.

Wasn't the first con (what was it called, Furry Conference?) cancelled permanently because furries couldn't keep their "enthusiasms"? It's the same thing happening, only this time it's about more than one place and convention-goers are going to find themselves with lesser places to attend to. They're ruining themselves by their own hands, but of course still playing the old "the world doesn't understand us!" card. ._.

• Like 2

I think they've gotten to a point in which cons are mostly just about those kind of things; everytime there's a major convention coming up or just finished you can see the chans and forums booming with threads about scandals and whatnot. This year they had this, the AIDS alleged spreading in EF, the outdoor convention banned from parks of America, the FA:U flop... Vivisector looks more like a calendar of events now.

Wasn't the first con (what was it called, Furry Conference?) cancelled permanently because furries couldn't keep their "enthusiasms"? It's the same thing happening, only this time it's about more than one place and convention-goers are going to find themselves with lesser places to attend to. They're ruining themselves by their own hands, but of course still playing the old "the world doesn't understand us!" card. ._.

Personally I don't give a rats ass (hurr hurr) about conventions so honestly I hope these stupid things continue to go up in flames, mostly because I'm an asshole who hates fun. Also it's funny.

But forgetting that for a second I think it's good that this shit happens, I mean it's not like furries can do anything to ruin their already pristine reputation more than they already have. With shit like this happening seemingly every other fucking day, we can finally weed out the incompetent shitfests such as Rainfurrest and Dragoneer's ego-driven circlejerk from the cons run by actual human beings as opposed to socially retarded neckbeards.

Just burn that shit to the ground and let new blood rise from its diaper-ridden corpse. Y'know, like a Phoenix. Geddit.

I'm gonna go to sleep out of shame now, see ya all tommorow!

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 2

You know, inversely, if this thing ends, then the God-awful disgusting con goers will go off and contaminate other events that used to be more sensible.

Only if they were limited to that one to begin with. Besides, it can serve as an example of what can happen to them if they try to tolerate these people.

Personally I don't give a rats ass (hurr hurr) about conventions so honestly I hope these stupid things continue to go up in flames, mostly because I'm an asshole who hates fun. Also it's funny.
But forgetting that for a second I think it's good that this shit happens, I mean it's not like furries can do anything to ruin their already pristine reputation more than they already have. With shit like this happening seemingly every other fucking day, we can finally weed out the incompetent shitfests such as Rainfurrest and Dragoneer's ego-driven circlejerk from the cons run by actual human beings as opposed to socially retarded neckbeards.

Just burn that shit to the ground and let new blood rise from its diaper-ridden corpse. Y'know, like a Phoenix. Geddit.

Never been a fan of these things either, as I'm still convinced that if you wanna meet online friends IRL, organizing a day out with a single group of close/long-term friends is more than enough; you don't need the crowd of hundreds of unknown people who may or may not end up to be actually awful in order to have fun or, "see the sense of community in action" or stuff like that.
Even then, I've been a frequent attender of comic conventions of all sizes in my country (because it's more up my alley than just furry), and in 6-7 years of going to these events I still have to witness or hear about scandals of the same fashion as furry cons. Of course I'm not going to claim that there isn't a probability in which some minor drama happens, or that there are no bad apples in other kinds of communities like that, but still even the most unorganized of these things ends up having better reputations than what I'm hearing about furry cons.

In any case, I don't see these recent flops/closings as an input for people to "weed out" the community; scandals, scammers and overall gross people have been orbitating the fandom since almost its beginning and no one has done anything, apart from I dunno, doxxing them on Lulz, I guess. Not because I wanna start a revolution or anything, just saying that in my opinion the possibility of this "weeding out" is still very far even after the recent happenings.

Anyway, haven't realized how late it would be overseas. G'night!

That's a pretty big convention, if that goes it's gonna be a pretty big disappointment for the community. There's gotta be a better way of filtering these people out of the conventions because christ that stuff is awful.

I'd like to see some sort of shared ban list for all or the majority of cons. If a person fucks up at one con then they're automatically banned from most others. 

• Like 3

This is so incredibly disappointing and frustrating. I love conventions, why do people have to act like fucking degenerate assholes and ruin it for the rest of us? It makes me ashamed to be a part of a community that I've grown to love, and that sucks. 

• Like 2

There should be some sort of "containment" con where the more... problematic furries are herded to.

It'd probably consist of a large cement room with a drain in the middle, allowing for easy cleanup after the event.

Ideally out in the middle of nowhere, away from civilization. :V

There should be some sort of "containment" con where the more... problematic furries are herded to.

It'd probably consist of a large cement room with a drain in the middle, allowing for easy cleanup after the event.

There are. They have these large buildings with decent security, access to counsellors, plenty of rooms (several of which are padded)...

• Like 3

#triggered
Back on topic, I really dislike how these people ruin it for everyone else. Some furries shouldn't be allowed in public.

It's disgusting how people cannot seem to act with an once of respect or basic human decency.

How would one creating a convention avoid this, is it possible to clearly set explicit in place without setting an expectation for horrid people to act horribly?

I'm just seriously wondering whether it is even possible to have a good convention while the fandom remains plauged with people from SoFurry, InkBunny, and even FA. People who I wish were not allowed as part of this fandom.

• Like 1

Do EF and Midfur have these kinds of problems, or is it only in America?

A better questions might be, "Is it furry related, or Convention related."  I suspect, (but have only anecdotal evidence to support) that the same type of crap goes on at SciFi, Brony, Cosplay/FanExpo type conventions too.  Alcohol, frat-boy mentality, lube and a convention hotel are a dangerous mix, regardless of the venue, fandom  or genre.

Back in the dirty-'90's slurping test-tube shooters off Booth-Babe(tm) breasts in a corporate hospitality suite sold more IBM and Cisco gear at Comdex than anything else.  Or so I'm told.  My memory is a little hazy. 

• Like 2

A better questions might be, "Is it furry related, or Convention related."  I suspect, (but have only anecdotal evidence to support) that the same type of crap goes on at SciFi, Brony, Cosplay/FanExpo type conventions too.  Alcohol, frat-boy mentality, lube and a convention hotel are a dangerous mix, regardless of the venue, fandom  or genre.

Back in the dirty-'90's slurping test-tube shooters off Booth-Babe(tm) breasts in a corporate hospitality suite sold more IBM and Cisco gear at Comdex than anything else.  Or so I'm told.  My memory is a little hazy. 

It definitely happens at other conventions, but people tend to overlook it. At my local conventions, it was Homestuck retards who caused problems. Furries were actually the more well behaved people.

If Twitter's coverage of Comdex is any indication, it hasn't improved.

They already tried that, as far as I remember. There was a con that prohibited the display of fetish gear in public and diaperfurs reacted saying it was some kind of discrimination; I can't recall wether this happened this year or a few ago.

They might as well ban diaperfurs from conventions altogether. They're the ones who cause the most problems.

• Like 1

They might as well ban diaperfurs from conventions altogether. They're the ones who cause the most problems.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it turns out to be trolls with a DL hate-on who are responsible for most of the, um, "find a gift" incidents.

Mind you, I'm also not surprised to find people with too little respect for hosts or fellow guests at any gathering of decent size, and any sort of kink or inappropriate attire on display as a result.

They already tried that, as far as I remember. There was a con that prohibited the display of fetish gear in public and diaperfurs reacted saying it was some kind of discrimination; I can't recall wether this happened this year or a few ago.

It is discrimination. That's the point.

• Like 3

I agree. Wearing swastikas out in public being forbidden is a discrimination too. Stop discrimnationg me and my fellow nazi brothers. We have every right to manifest our beliefs.

Edited by Ayattar

In any case, I don't see these recent flops/closings as an input for people to "weed out" the community; scandals, scammers and overall gross people have been orbitating the fandom since almost its beginning and no one has done anything, apart from I dunno, doxxing them on Lulz, I guess. Not because I wanna start a revolution or anything, just saying that in my opinion the possibility of this "weeding out" is still very far even after the recent happenings.

It's not so much about weeding out individuals (since I mean, c'mon look around you), as it is about weeding out con organizers who have zero idea how to deal with them. Anyone who thinks walking out in public wearing diapers and fetish gear is perfectly acceptable because they're "just expressing themselves" should not be allowed to organize...anything really.

It's disgusting how people cannot seem to act with an once of respect or basic human decency.

How would one creating a convention avoid this, is it possible to clearly set explicit in place without setting an expectation for horrid people to act horribly?

I'm just seriously wondering whether it is even possible to have a good convention while the fandom remains plauged with people from SoFurry, InkBunny, and even FA. People who I wish were not allowed as part of this fandom.

Step 1: Create rules prohibiting people from acting like disgusting freaks. No bondage/fetish gear period, no babyfur paraphernalia in public (including diapers and other questionable shit, badges are iffy), and Zero tolerance for any exceptionally terrible behavior (such as 'Mr. Glory Hole' at Rainfurrest). The fact that they only handed out 5 bans this year pretty much says everything.

Step 2: Enforce them with an iron fist, regardless of what anyone says.

The kinds of people who'd boycott such a con or throw a hissyfit whining about "discrimination" are the same retards who think throwing used diapers at peoples cars is a-ok, so fuck them and the pedo-van they rode in on.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it turns out to be trolls with a DL hate-on who are responsible for most of the, um, "find a gift" incidents.

Mind you, I'm also not surprised to find people with too little respect for hosts or fellow guests at any gathering of decent size, and any sort of kink or inappropriate attire on display as a result.

I doubt it. Anyone socially retarded enough to wear a diaper in public isn't going to think twice about any of that kinda shit.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 3

I never said anything about laws.

It's really a case of knowing how to conduct yourself in public. Acting in a suitable and acceptable manner without causing a disturbance kinda implies you shouldn't toss around soggy diapers or show off your chastity cage.

• Like 4

It's not anymore discrimination than telling someone to not go nude in public or to avoid hatespeech. There's a difference between telling a gay person to not be gay, and telling a fetishist to leave their fetishes in the bedroom. This is the latter.

• Like 2

My mind always boggles at how people can know that something is a problem, and yet knowingly contribute to it.

It's good that RF staff won't hesitate to yank a badge when someone crosses the line, but I'd say it's also up to the general community to keep an eye out for trouble and be willing to draw lines in the sand when people around them are behaving stupidly. But, doing that takes a modicum of courage and insight, and it takes caring more about the larger community than about the approval of the person or people who are acting out.

• Like 4

It's not anymore discrimination than telling someone to not go nude in public or to avoid hatespeech. There's a difference between telling a gay person to not be gay, and telling a fetishist to leave their fetishes in the bedroom. This is the latter.

I'm starting to get the feeling several people here are used to discrimination being some kind of evil word. Lots of things are discrimination. Not all of them are bad. A blanket ban on fetish stuff at conventions is not a bad kind.

• Like 1

^^^More to the point, nudists only go nude when they're at their own private nudist camps and retreats.

Any nudist who decided that they also had a right to be nude at the National Knitters' Convention because they identify as a nude knitter would be disabused of that right quick--say, around the time that their bare ass got burned or chilled by the leather in the back seat of the cop car!

I'm starting to get the feeling several people here are used to discrimination being some kind of evil word. Lots of things are discrimination. Not all of them are bad. A blanket ban on fetish stuff at conventions is not a bad kind.

Because, by definition, discrimination is unjust. A blanket ban of fetish gear isn't discrimination. You're not targeting any specific group. You're not discriminating against anyone. 

Let's keep in mind that whole "when in Rome" thing, too.

I read that it /is/ a fetish con, though. Is that true?

still...its hosted at a hotel. They should just host their creepy kinkfest at some rich furry's house

I know of at least two actual annual fetish cons, and neither RF nor any other furry con is one.  Access is restricted and behavior is regulated to keep them fun events for everyone.  That you've never heard of them (assuming you've never gone looking) should speak volumes about their attendees' behavior.

• Like 1

I read that it /is/ a fetish con, though. Is that true?

still...its hosted at a hotel. They should just host their creepy kinkfest at some rich furry's house

Where did you read that? I have a hard time believing that any major furry convention is primarily geared towards sex/fetish material. 

Because, by definition, discrimination is unjust. A blanket ban of fetish gear isn't discrimination. You're not targeting any specific group. You're not discriminating against anyone. 

I don't think I've seen one that makes it out to be necessarily unjust. Not that I doubt they exist, but IME injustice isn't necessary and at any rate does not feature in all definitions.

But frankly, even if it was unjust—and I suppose arguably it could be, since not every single person displaying their fetish will necessarily cause problems—I still wouldn't care in the context of a con.

It's not so much about weeding out individuals (since I mean, c'mon look around you), as it is about weeding out con organizers who have zero idea how to deal with them. Anyone who thinks walking out in public wearing diapers and fetish gear is perfectly acceptable because they're "just expressing themselves" should not be allowed to organize...anything really.

Oh, well this sounds something with more probabilities of happening, guess I misinterpreted your previous sentence.

Found the thread regarding the banning I mentioned before: https://forums.vivisector.org/index.php?topic=834.0
Kinda relates to what Pastry said here:

Step 1: Create rules prohibiting people from acting like disgusting freaks. No bondage/fetish gear period, no babyfur paraphernalia in public (including diapers and other questionable shit, badges are iffy), and Zero tolerance for any exceptionally terrible behavior (such as 'Mr. Glory Hole' at Rainfurrest). The fact that they only handed out 5 bans this year pretty much says everything.

Step 2: Enforce them with an iron fist, regardless of what anyone says.