Super Smash Bros.

SirRob

I got an Ike Amiibo today. I was mulling over whether to pick it up for Fire Emblem Fates, because it's just extra money to spend. I eventually told myself, if they have it at GameStop when I preorder Fire Emblem, I'll get it. Otherwise, that's it, not getting it. Well they did have it.

Driving back home, I went to get gas. In my state we have gas station attendants. The guy looked at the Amiibo and said 'aren't you a little old for toys?' But then he starts getting interested and tells me that he plays games too and offered to exchange Xbox Live accounts (I didn't have one though). He told me the hours he worked at the gas station, too. Which was like, I've never even talked to a gas station attendant before about anything. Weird trip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

and what's your opinion?

I mainly posted it because I was not aware of Leffen's current dilemma at all. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him at tournies recently. I didn't think it was this serious an issue.

I just know some people here like me play Smash somewhat competitively and might have wanted to be informed. Also touches a bit close to home because I have a friend in LoF. I'm just somewhat worried about whatever troubles he may face when he eventually takes his competitive pursuit out of the country. That's all. Haven't got much to add. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have said this for a while but I think the game has gotten to the point that it should be more of a priority to buff shitty characters than it is to nerf the best characters. Bayonetta as the best character was no where near as stupidly good as meta knight in brawl or fox in melee. She actual had some weaknesses before the patch in that she has shit neutral game. People really over react to bayonetta, has anyone even won a national with her? The only people i know of who have come close are people who have already been proven as amazing/good players (Salem and Pink Fresh).

I would be much happier if they buffed awful characters like jigglypuff or palutena.

6 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

To be fair, Bayo was fucking stupidly good.

Oh, I fucking know. I didn't mind fighting her, but she's dumb as fuck. Random nobodies were hitting top 8 getting carried by her because of some braindead kill confirms that COMPUTERS could pull off. 

Meta Knight and Snake were busted, but they at least took...some skill to play. Especially Snake. They also didn't have seemingly intentional true combo zero-deaths that required the supreme SDI to get out of.

44 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Oh, I fucking know. I didn't mind fighting her, but she's dumb as fuck. Random nobodies were hitting top 8 getting carried by her because of some braindead kill confirms that COMPUTERS could pull off. 

Meta Knight and Snake were busted, but they at least took...some skill to play. Especially Snake. They also didn't have seemingly intentional true combo zero-deaths that required the supreme SDI to get out of.

ice climbers and olimar ended up better than snake by the end of brawl meta, i would say all 4 of them were better than smash 4 bayo. Also unlike bayonetta when playing Meta Knight it's kind of hard to play him wrong, where as with bayonetta if you don't do the death combos (which generally don't lead to death except the super situational ones) you're kind of screwed cause her neutral is ass.

Also from all the big tournies i have seen there has been may like one or two bayos in top 8, which is no where near as bad as most "best" characters in other games. I'm not even sure if a bayonetta has even actually won any major tournies (major being huge regional/national tourney), the only ones that have come close are players who were already good. Though the nerfs have already happened to it's whatever.

I still do think they should prioritize buffing shitty characters over nerfing the best ones, there is going to be a best character regardless and the ones we have are way more manageable than the top tier of melee and brawl.

Meh... The general consensus even among pros like ZeRo, Dabuz, etc and the resulting nerf basically lays the facts on the table. If Metaknight and M-Fox were worse, ok. But at the end of the day this isn't Brawl (thank god) or Melee. Kind of pointless to argue at this stage. Just is what it is.

But I can agree on buffing garbage characters. Helped MewTwo take Pound. And Palutena is still awful which is unfortunate. 

Just now, Imperial Impact said:

tfw I need to beat all star mode with 29 characters 

I haven't played any of the newer games, but is All-Star mode the same it was in Melee?  Or was it only for Melee?

I just grew so bitter of Brawl.  I always wanted a Wii, but every time I wanted to get it, they were always out of stock.  So I just became apathetic towards it and its games, became bitter.  Turns out the game was -okay- at best, not the second coming of Christ like Moviebob once described it as.

4 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

I haven't played any of the newer games, but is All-Star mode the same it was in Melee?  Or was it only for Melee?

I just grew so bitter of Brawl.  I always wanted a Wii, but every time I wanted to get it, they were always out of stock.  So I just became apathetic towards it and its games, became bitter.  Turns out the game was -okay- at best, not the second coming of Christ like Moviebob once described it as.

No, Brawl and both Smash 4s had them

http://www.ssbwiki.com/All-Star_Mode#Super_Smash_Bros._4

Just now, Imperial Impact said:

No, Brawl and both Smash 4s had them

http://www.ssbwiki.com/All-Star_Mode#Super_Smash_Bros._4

Fuck, I actually loved All-Star mode in Melee.  Maybe I should try emulating Brawl and giving it a shot.  No, I never managed to get a Wii after all these years, I'm still sad about it. :(

18 hours ago, major lee snake said:

I wonder, where could I find a place locally wherein people play smash?  I remember my high school having a club like that, and I participated.  I was no good, but I feel like some human interaction would be great for good time's sake.

if you can go to local tourneys you absolutely should. tourneys are amazing, just make sure to bring your own controller. It's really a fun experience and a great way to socalize.

Just now, AlastairSnowpaw said:

if you can go to local tourneys you absolutely should. tourneys are amazing, just make sure to bring your own controller. It's really a fun experience and a great way to socalize.

That sounds great, where can I find these?  Is there like a place I can search online for 'tourneys' near me?  I guess I should get myself a GameCube controller somehow.  I was the kid who rocked one of these back in highschool, about a year before Brawl came out.

5807.jpg

Couldn't go wrong with a value pack that included a controller, I'm pretty sure an extension cable, AND a memory card.  Man I miss those, memory cards.

18 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

That sounds great, where can I find these?  Is there like a place I can search online for 'tourneys' near me?  I guess I should get myself a GameCube controller somehow.  I was the kid who rocked one of these.

5807.jpg

Couldn't go wrong with a value pack that included a controller, I'm pretty sure an extension cable, AND a memory card.  Man I miss those, memory cards.

http://smashboards.com/forums/regional-zones.89/ start there and find your region, they may have a facebook page or something else to follow as well. As for a controller you will want an actual nintendo controller, the other brands just have trouble making good long lasting controllers. pretty sure you can easily get a nintendo one off amazon.

Also don't go to the tourney and expect to do good, if you keep going to tourneys you will see tons of progress in your skill. Ofcourse there are also people who just enjoy going and make tons of friends even if they are completely casual at the game.

Just now, AlastairSnowpaw said:

http://smashboards.com/forums/regional-zones.89/ start there and find your region, they may have a facebook page or something else to follow as well. As for a controller you will want an actual nintendo controller, the other brands just have trouble making good long lasting controllers. pretty sure you can easily get a nintendo one off amazon.

Also don't go to the tourney and expect to do good, if you keep going to tourneys you will see tons of progress in your skill. Ofcourse there are also people who just enjoy going and make tons of friends even if they are completely casual at the game.

Thanks for the heads up.  I wasn't going to use that particular controller anyway, nor was I expecting to be good at the game.  I will give it a shot, I just crave social interaction.

22 hours ago, XoPachi said:

Meh... The general consensus even among pros like ZeRo, Dabuz, etc and the resulting nerf basically lays the facts on the table. If Metaknight and M-Fox were worse, ok. But at the end of the day this isn't Brawl (thank god) or Melee. Kind of pointless to argue at this stage. Just is what it is.

But I can agree on buffing garbage characters. Helped MewTwo take Pound. And Palutena is still awful which is unfortunate. 

now that it happened who do you think is the best character?

I would say it's rosa/luma because of how untouched they have been for a while. I sort of thought she was the best for a while honestly, it's just bayo has something flashy so people flocked to hate that. They also have silly stuff like potential deaths under 40% with the luma upair. The only actual flaw that Rosa kind of has is it seems like Cloud can completely ruin Rosa/luma.

Ryu could also be the best but he requires effort so he won't be the best in America.

That's a tough call. I wouldn't argue against calling Rosie the best, but...who really pushes her meta beyond Dabuz? But Dabuz is just good at games (I had the misfortune of running into him in Rivals of Aether. Wasn't pretty. At all.) His fundamentals are air tight Also that's a legit question. I actually don't know of too many R&L players beyond Dabuz. lol

If not Rosie than I'd honestly say ZSS. Her up b got hit hard in 1.1.4 and I get that's a kill option that's now harder to land. But despite the nerf, she still has some crazy setups and aerial dominance. She still gets plenty off of grabs. One of the best recoveries. And if you take her to a stage like Duck Hunt or Battlefield, it's a wrap. Speaking of ZSS, Christ... 

13 hours ago, XoPachi said:

If not Rosie than I'd honestly say ZSS. Her up b got hit hard in 1.1.4 and I get that's a kill option that's now harder to land. But despite the nerf, she still has some crazy setups and aerial dominance. She still gets plenty off of grabs. One of the best recoveries. And if you take her to a stage like Duck Hunt or Battlefield, it's a wrap. Speaking of ZSS, Christ... 

As a wii fit main I would absolutely love if ZSS was the best. Wii fit has a stupidly good match-up against ZSS. wii fit can force ZSS to only use 4-5 moves that aren't her best ones, simply because wii fit can duck everything else ZSS has. it's one of the most halarious match-ups in smash 4 and one of the things I love about the game.

33 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

As a wii fit main I would absolutely love if ZSS was the best. Wii fit has a stupidly good match-up against ZSS. wii fit can force ZSS to only use 4-5 moves that aren't her best ones, simply because wii fit can duck everything else ZSS has. it's one of the most halarious match-ups in smash 4 and one of the things I love about the game.

That sounds like Kirby and GW. lol
You need to have your crouch game on point though. 

Man, I haven't played this game in months. If I sucked then, I suck now. I was playing my friend last night for the first time since February. I just could not get my inputs going. Forgot my b-reversal tech with Rob. Lost the shield drop timing. MISSED so many of my gyro setups. I'm in scrub city. :y

Just now, XoPachi said:

That sounds like Kirby and GW. lol
You need to have your crouch game on point though. 

Man, I haven't played this game in months. If I sucked then, I suck now. I was playing my friend last night for the first time since February. I just could not get my inputs going. Forgot my b-reversal tech with Rob. Lost the shield drop timing. MISSED so many of my gyro setups. I'm in scrub city. :y

the thing is wii fit has a crawl while they don't.

also it's the main reason I want to learn Bidou is perfect pivot crouching would be absurd with Wii Fit. 

5 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

the thing is wii fit has a crawl while they don't.

also it's the main reason I want to learn Bidou is perfect pivot crouching would be absurd with Wii Fit. 

I was trying Bidou a good while ago. RAR bairs are...damn. I don't play Roy, but I tested it with him. It was really everything you could want. It's only hard in that you have to totally relearn a control scheme on top of the tech Bidou opens up. But it's not really what I'd call uncomfortable. Not saying that's what you were implying, but the general opinion seems to be that it makes things harder, which I understand.