Super Smash Bros.

SirRob

Still sorry I couldn't last night, enigma.

But I really want to play some tonight. Anybody game?

I would play, but I've been up for 19 hours, heh... I'll probably be game tomorrow after a lot of much needed rest.

Edited by Eggdodger

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331744831875/friendlies-zero-the-undefeated

Also ZeRo lost MLG. But he was a good sport about it. I actually think it may have relieved some stress from him.

It's gotta be really stressful being at the top. One of the reasons I've never really been a competitive type of gamer.

I dunno... stakes aren't very high when it comes to video games. I mean, I get stressed as heck, but I'm not really a point of reference.

Considering where ZeRo comes from and what he has on the line as a top player, he pretty much has everything to lose. This is quite literally his job. 

• Like 1

Read the article I posted. 

Still don't see how he has everything to lose. I'm also not seeing why it would be a big deal to not be the best player, nor am I seeing what stakes he has as a result of his background.

I did get from the article that he's stressed, though. But I still feel like having high stress levels in a position like his is a little unwarranted. Maybe the pressure of being a celebrity and being chastised by people is warranted, sure, but not the pressure of losing the top spot.

Edited by SirRob

I don't see how not being the best would equate to losing your job

Surely his competition all play games for a living too, yeah? Like that guy who played Reggie?

And doesn't that guy have a YouTube channel? I'm sure he makes a profit based just on that, or a Twitch account or whatever

Edited by SirRob

I had to go back and carefully reread my posts to see if I was arguing for something really stupid. And I am! I am wrong, you guys are right.

BUT, going back to what Eggdodger said, about not wanting to be a competitive gamer. In Zero's situation, that is his job, so of course it's going to be stressful for him. But being a competitive gamer doesn't mean you have to invest everything in it; you don't have to make gaming your job to be competitive at it. So really, the only thing to get stressed about is your own pride. And when you let something like that get to you, well then you're pulling a SirRob!

Edited by SirRob

It's because there's really no job security in esports. If you're not at or near to the top, you aren't pulling much in and have to work harder to get everywhere. Sponsorships are hard to keep I imagine.

Exactly. People don't retire from esports by choice; it's a combination of patches, evolution of the metagame and players becoming more competent. Sometimes you can't keep up. This is especially so in MOBAs. Like the article said, the pressure was eating away at him, and he's recently gone for long periods without practicing. Probably best he takes a break from Smash for his mental wellbeing.

BUT, going back to what Eggdodger said, about not wanting to be a competitive gamer. In Zero's situation, that is his job, so of course it's going to be stressful for him. But being a competitive gamer doesn't mean you have to invest everything in it; you don't have to make gaming your job to be competitive at it. So really, the only thing to get stressed about is your own pride. And when you let something like that get to you, well then you're pulling a SirRob!

Oh, absolutely. I play to win, of course; I just don't practice a lot to get to a "competitive" type level with multiplayer games, because I don't have very much fun that way. I absolutely love Smash, but that's because I play it with my friends who only really play when I play it with them (they have it on 3DS but never turn it on otherwise). It's lighthearted fun, and I like to throw in an amiibo or two occasionally so that my friends can target them instead of me. If it's just two of us at the time, I'll show them how to do different techs and combos with characters I'm good as.

I can't have that lighthearted sort of attitude playing online, though, due mostly to the lack of communication in-game (nobody ever uses the voice chat for some reason in lobbies). That's why I usually play locally.

Edited by Eggdodger

• 3 weeks later...

This is Athrun Zala (Yeah, It's his real name)

He's the dumbest Gundam character of all time. His character is so inconsistent that not even his voice actors (Both Japanese and English) did understood him.

So he's in this Gundam game called "Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.", He's top tier so every match of the game ended up being nothing but echoes of TUUUUU HYYEAAAAA and MOU YAMERUNDA etc over and over again, people caught on and started making cacophonous shit with his samples tagged "I'm sorry, Ishida-san". And so on, but it apparently reached the devs because they made a stage in the new one where you fight a boss version of athrun that has essentially no down value so you can hit combo him for his entire life bar like it's marvel.

694205-asran_zala_1.gif

I saw a random thread on GameFAQs yesterday that claimed Donkey Kong Jr, Inkling and Mii Wizard were gonna be revealed as DLC characters for Smash Bros. And you know what? I fully believe it, because it sounds disappointing, but very logical as well. Donkey Kong Jr. would be a third DK rep, has retro status, and would be a big surprise. Inkling is inevitable, and a Mii Wizard is fairly wanted, plus it'd open up more options for Mii Costumes, which combined would probably generate more revenue than a DLC character.

Edited by SirRob

I saw a random thread on GameFAQs yesterday that claimed Donkey Kong Jr, Inkling and Mii Wizard were gonna be revealed as DLC characters for Smash Bros. And you know what? I fully believe it, because it sounds disappointing, but very logical as well. Donkey Kong Jr. would be a third DK rep, has retro status, and would be a big surprise. Inkling is inevitable, and a Mii Wizard is fairly wanted, plus it'd open up more options for Mii Costumes, which combined would probably generate more revenue than a DLC character.

I don't personally find it disappointing...well, Mii Wizard is because fuck Miis and everything about them since their inception. But While I'd prefer, Dixie or Funky, another Kong in general is nice. And Inkling needs love because Splatoon is still new and should keep being put in the spotlight. But yeah, I agree with you that it makes sense.

I really wish Splatoon had a larger level selection. Its small selection is made even worse that it just switches between two maps until a few hours pass. I mean, why would they do that? It would be so much better if it was more like most other multiplayer games where people vote on a map and the map choices change each match and there's actually a decent number of map choices overall. I mean, I still have fun with it but it could really benefit from more variety.

I really wish Splatoon had a larger level selection. Its small selection is made even worse that it just switches between two maps until a few hours pass. I mean, why would they do that? It would be so much better if it was more like most other multiplayer games where people vote on a map and the map choices change each match and there's actually a decent number of map choices overall. I mean, I still have fun with it but it could really benefit from more variety.

Personally, I don't think I'd get too much into a competitive console shooter anyway. I can't really fault it for those inherent issues. But a console shooter by Nintendo? On the Wii U pad? 

It was slow as shit too. I mainly was hoping the single player would be fun, but it was more barebones than recent Mario games and shortlived as Hell.

Edited by XoPachi

I went on For Glory again. Played three matches, all against the same person who used Link. I lost the first match, won the second, and got two-stocked in the third match. I switch characters, thinking I'll do better with a slower character who can perform better in lag. But nope, guy decides I suck so much, he saves a replay of my loss and then leaves. Sure he was laughing at me too. $%&@ For Glory.

Edited by SirRob
  • Like 1