Gender indicators

Ayattar

His request wasn't unreasonable, simply a way to avoid akwardness.

I do not see it as a big deal to have it, and I wouldn't mind seeing it.

It would allow for more flavor to have the text box aswell.

I don't understand what is so unreasonable either. It seems that too many on here make tempests in teapots over such silly things. I think some folks around here need to grow thicker skins.

I think it would be neat to have it under the avatar picture. Male, female, genderfluid, or whatever the favorite words du jour happen to be.

Edited by Skylar Husky

I thought I was completely alone in this.

I actually thought this was a fairly typical disposition when it came to internet interactions and pseudonyms. Maybe it's just because I've spent too much time with MMOGs where it's usually assumed that there's little relation between the avatar's gender and the player's, and there's usually no reason to care about the distinction.

I actually thought this was a fairly typical disposition when it came to internet interactions and pseudonyms. Maybe it's just because I've spent too much time with MMOGs where it's usually assumed that there's little relation between the avatar's gender and the player's, and there's usually no reason to care about the distinction.

I get misgendered in real-world interactions as well, especially on the phone. I just roll with it here too.

I think its kinna frivolous. With as many varied threads here, we're bound to find out sooner or later who does what. Or, if its really crazy, we can do a pronouns thread and sticky it if there's wont for it. 

However, again, people identify themselves pretty quickly. I don't understand what's so important. If you misgender someone, that person will decide to correct you or not; a la lucy. 

I think its kinna frivolous. With as many varied threads here, we're bound to find out sooner or later who does what. Or, if its really crazy, we can do a pronouns thread and sticky it if there's wont for it. 

However, again, people identify themselves pretty quickly. I don't understand what's so important. If you misgender someone, that person will decide to correct you or not; a la lucy. 

>if there's a wont for it
>there's a wont for it
>there's a wont
>a wont
>wont

People asked for a species indicator and it isn't mandatory. There have been no problems with it.

Why is a gender indicator any different? It will only be used by those who care and the ones who don't use it or don't take it seriously will be self evident. This isn't an issue at all. It's an online forum. It's not going to dictate your actual sexuality or gender.

Doesn't seem necessary, how often do you need to express 'he' or 'she' on here anyway.

Pretty often. English isn't my primary language and I'm used to thinking in gendered manner, even when using english, as in my native tongue everything is gendered. And it finds reflection in the constructions I'm using.

I think its kinna frivolous. With as many varied threads here, we're bound to find out sooner or later who does what. Or, if its really crazy, we can do a pronouns thread and sticky it if there's wont for it

If there is want for it, i think a seperate thread would be ... unhandy. An optional text field for the profile seems better, then if you wonder about the gender of a poster you don't have to look up the thread and find the user, you just look at said field (if the user wanted to specify it).

Maybe include an option whether you want to see said field in the along with post count and so on next to the post or only on the profile (i.e. https://phoenix.corvidae.org/profile/[user])

That way everybody would be served:

Those who don't want that field don't use it and turn it to "profile only". Those who want to see it see it, those who want to state something can state something

I see literally no problem with a feature such as this. If you want, specify, if not, don't. What's the fucking deal. Indeed this can be a problem only to furries, as it's been stated

I see literally no problem with a feature such as this. If you want, specify, if not, don't. What's the fucking deal. Indeed this can be a problem only to furries, as it's been stated

...and for tumblr people obsessed with LGBTAQZXCASDF stuff, or whatever that abbreviation looks like now.

Edited by Ayattar

If it's an issue, I say we just put preferred pronouns in our signatures... That way no one is uncomfortable and you can put whatever you want. 

I don't see this being particular effective. The first thing I did when signatures were enabled on the forum was to globally ignore them. I've contemplated manually eliminating all the stuff underneath the user avatars, too, but so far it hasn't gotten long enough to make it worth the effort (especially since it doesn't show up on the mobile view.)

Pronouns have never been an issue on FAF or Pheonix asside from individuals who feel that they should use the wrong pronouns as a form of insult (i.e. GreenReaper).  The fabled 'Tumblerinas' and their 'Toasterkin' of 'Veliciraptor Is My Gender' folks that are often cited have never actually been seen on this forum or it's predecessor.  It's never more than 'something I saw somewhere else on the internet' and it's not a problem here, so it's not a problem that this place has to tackle.  Frankly, I'm not even sure those kinds of people are actually 'real' outside of a tiny handful who just get a LOT of coverage by every idiot freaking out of them and spreading it across the internet.

• Like 1

...and for tumblr people obsessed with LGBTAQZXCASDF stuff, or whatever that abbreviation looks like now.

lgBBQ. C wut I deed thar? Puhfect

''Lesbian Gay Barbeque! For the hottest wieners and jugs in town!''

Tempted to suggest to make it just a normal text box. No drop down list. People can type whatever they want.

Yeah it leaves it open for abuse, I know, but I think most people will use it in the way it's intended.

I agree with Kalmor that we should just make an optional free form box for those who want.  What is pointless to one person is important to another. Can't we find middle ground?

>if there's a wont for it>there's a wont for it
>there's a wont
>a wont
>wont

So someone made a grammatical error on the internet. Big deal. You don't need to be a dick about it.

• Like 1

I agree with Kalmor that we should just make an optional free form box for those who want.  What is pointless to one person is important to another. Can't we find middle ground?

So someone made a grammatical error on the internet. Big deal. You don't need to be a dick about it.

It's a joke, not a dick. Don't take it so hard.

I gender identify as a 1968 Chevrolet Impala convertible. 

Do people drive you crazy?

Pretty often. English isn't my primary language and I'm used to thinking in gendered manner, even when using english, as in my native tongue everything is gendered. And it finds reflection in the constructions I'm using.

But if people make a mistake, I would just correct them, it's not a big deal either way though. Course it usually helps to have a username/icon that's not ambiguous, but I don't know many who would be offended about being mistaken for the wrong gender online.

But if people make a mistake, I would just correct them, it's not a big deal either way though. Course it usually helps to have a username/icon that's not ambiguous, but I don't know many who would be offended about being mistaken for the wrong gender online.

When I was staffing a show, over a decade ago, I mis-gendered one of my trans customers. We were having a problem with their credit card not processing, They moved to the side and stood near my terminal while I called the merchant service and said something akin to, "Well, I swipe his card and this is the error I get on the terminal after a few minutes of waiting." The customer cleared their throat and corrected me, politely, with "You swipe her card and that's the error you get."  The person in question was somebody who was in transition but, well, by my perception? They weren't really ambiguous and were very presenting as their original gender. But I rolled with it and corrected myself on the phone, and proceeded forward after that faux pas by referring to my customer as a female.

No harm done. I made a mistake, I was corrected on that mistake, I adapted, life went on.

It disappoints me that, when it comes to the online world (or somebody runs afoul of a very shrill extremist in the real world), everyone is a Keyboard Warrior and the above would be impossible. There would have been a lot more screaming and recriminations because it seems like inevitably there is a Point To Be Proven. Based on my own personal experience I think people are generally reasonable as a whole about misunderstandings like mine, and unless somebody on either side has an agenda they want to prove, a simple correction can be made, everyone just gets on with their lives and nobody is the worse for wear. Maybe the online world just makes this more contentious, I don't know.

• Like 1

When I was staffing a show, over a decade ago, I mis-gendered one of my trans customers. We were having a problem with their credit card not processing, They moved to the side and stood near my terminal while I called the merchant service and said something akin to, "Well, I swipe his card and this is the error I get on the terminal after a few minutes of waiting." The customer cleared their throat and corrected me, politely, with "You swipe her card and that's the error you get."  The person in question was somebody who was in transition but, well, by my perception? They weren't really ambiguous and were very presenting as their original gender. But I rolled with it and corrected myself on the phone, and proceeded forward after that faux pas by referring to my customer as a female.

No harm done. I made a mistake, I was corrected on that mistake, I adapted, life went on.

It disappoints me that, when it comes to the online world (or somebody runs afoul of a very shrill extremist in the real world), everyone is a Keyboard Warrior and the above would be impossible. There would have been a lot more screaming and recriminations because it seems like inevitably there is a Point To Be Proven. Based on my own personal experience I think people are generally reasonable as a whole about misunderstandings like mine, and unless somebody on either side has an agenda they want to prove, a simple correction can be made, everyone just gets on with their lives and nobody is the worse for wear. Maybe the online world just makes this more contentious, I don't know.

You'd adore the queer space at my university. I dared accidentally misgender someone on Facebook and was instantly accused of doing it maliciously, being transphobic, etc etc. I mean, the person had a neutral name, and all I'd seen was the tiny profile picture which didn't really suggest anything, but I might as well have been Hitler himself. An honest mistake, of course, and I apologized, but jesus christ.

You'd adore the queer space at my university. I dared accidentally misgender someone on Facebook and was instantly accused of doing it maliciously, being transphobic, etc etc. I mean, the person had a neutral name, and all I'd seen was the tiny profile picture which didn't really suggest anything, but I might as well have been Hitler himself. An honest mistake, of course, and I apologized, but jesus christ.

Welcome to hell, here is your accordion. You are now Problematic Person #154,390. Please wear your Transphobic badge at all times. Apologies are ineffectual here. All reasonable doubt is extinguished. You have been tried and convicted by the Tribunal.