Vote on the Forum Name Part I

ArielMT

Site Name Poll 1: Phoenix or No Phoenix  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the option or options that has one or more of the site names you like. You may choose more than one.

• A phoenix name: Codename Phoenix, Hooked on Phoenix, Phoenix Alight, Phoenix Alliance, Phoenix Arisen Forums, Phoenix Ashes, Phoenix Crossroads, Phoenix Forums, Phoenix Hub, Phoenix Planet, or Phoenix Waypoint
    • A furry/anthro phoenix name: Anthro Phoenix Forums, Phoenix Anthro Art Community, Phoenix Anthro Forums, or Phoenix Fur Forums
    • A partly phoenix name: Exploding Crows (or Burning Crows, Phoenix Corvidae), Fafnix, Fenix, Peeko, Peenix, Phaf, Phoenixed Forums (make the temporary name permanent), or RePhoenixed
    • A name not phoenix related: Bass Furry Forum, Bhoenis, Furth Reich, or Horsecock Forums
    • Site staff's choice: We'll just pick a name and be done with it.

thats a good point. Lots of our newer regulars camehere via link and stayed for the fun. If we have some outlet for newbies to come its a better idea. Besides, people come to the forum without friends and end up making them.

i do not think that the popularity and longevity of the forum is going to be decided with the name. kalmor has reason to be concerned about these things, as they're important, but the name cannot possibly make or break the outcome of the forum as a whole over the long-term

thats a good point. Lots of our newer regulars camehere via link and stayed for the fun. If we have some outlet for newbies to come its a better idea. Besides, people come to the forum without friends and end up making them.

Exactly.

I once had the idea (that I recall posting on the old forum) that we buy ad space on good ol' FA and advertise ourselves there. 

Somehow I don't think they will approve it. Worth a try? :V

• Like 2

Exactly.

I once had the idea (that I recall posting on the old forum) that we buy ad space on good ol' FA and advertise ourselves there. 

Placing ad space on FA seems like it might cause people to associate us with them. 

Exactly.

See if you can circumvent them and get to a imvu employee that does not share 'Neers presumed grudge?

Or, quoting wiki on how Googles adsense works:

For site-targeted advertisements, the advertiser chooses the page(s) on which to display advertisements, and pays based on cost per mille (CPM), or the price advertisers choose to pay for every thousand advertisements displayed.[21][22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdSense#How_AdSense_works

See if you can circumvent them and get to a imvu employee that does not share 'Neers presumed grudge?

Or, quoting wiki on how Googles adsense works:

For site-targeted advertisements, the advertiser chooses the page(s) on which to display advertisements, and pays based on cost per mille (CPM), or the price advertisers choose to pay for every thousand advertisements displayed.[21][22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdSense#How_AdSense_works

FA still runs community ads that aren't run through adsense. 

Edit: Sorry, now I see that you're explain how to get around them if they refuse the community ad. 

Solution: Buy ad space on every other furry oriented website possible. Now associated with everyone.

This is a slightly more serious plan. XP

Edited by Kalmor
  • Like 2

FA still runs community ads that aren't run through adsense. 

Afaik they are running mixed, some community some external.

Did they remove the adsense ones again? Huh.

lets see... Going to FA Privacy Badger lists only one blocked tracker:

https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net

Whatever: Trying normally and when shot down due do sore 'Neer syndrom ask IMVU nicely.

Edited by Toboe

Afaik they are running mixed, some community some external.

Did they remove the adsense ones again? Huh.

lets see... Going to FA Privacy Badger lists only one blocked tracker:

https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net

Whatever: Trying normally and when shot down due do sore 'Neer syndrom ask IMVU nicely.

Yeah they run mixed. 

Wanting a non-furry related name is just kidding ourselves into thinking we're not a furry forum.

There is a difference between being a furry forum (particularly one open to other subgroups/communities) and being the forum equivalent of the person that walks around everywhere with a fox tail, furry ears, has pawprint bumper-stickers and a number plate that reads "Yiffyfox". The forum name doesn't have to scream furry to be a furry board.

Still going to miss Phoenix in its meaning for this forum, could still be a mascot, though

I think that is becoming a given, for those that like having site mascots.

I'm more talking about people stumbling across us in a google search or something.

Weasyl was originally advertised directly at the furry community... Then they tried to become like dA but already managed to reach a critical mass of furries.

At present, we are searchable on Google, optimising the keywords and related might help rankings a bit but they have spidered the site so we should be searchable by the submitted content alone, excluding sections hidden to guests.

Squatted.  That's a name speculator, and I can guess they want a king's ransom for it. :<

Even if ICANN had oversight into the operations of national ccTLDs, it would be considered a gross over-reach if they enforced a ban on that activity. I place domainers (so-called "domain investors") into a similar category to Ambulance Chasers, other scum-sucking lowlifes and spammers.

FAF got new members from the link on FA. A minority joined for reasons you state.

This is true and it was a point raised before; however, I wonder how many of those users joined only when they had a reason to complain about an issue on the main site itself? Even if you look at the historical stats showing the largest number of users online, it was always during a period of heightened drama when users would arrive in droves to voice their concerns or anger and then eventually things would blow over and the site would settle down to a low number of generally active users. I would see figures of 200 but the majority would be "guests" and not registered users.

Fauxaffinity Forum!

Still the best name. Hate the phoenix themed names.

While that could also still shorten to FAF, I still wonder if that name would make us seem bitter, petty etc. The "phoenix" names were more of an off-the-cuff suggestion and a distinct reference to the old FAF rebirthing under new management, being killed (again) and rebirthing under a new name and identity. There will always be some reference to phoenix here, either a mascot, a subtitle or mention in the forum description meta tag.

Edited by Carenath
Typos
  • Like 2

Wanting fauxaffinity has become incredibly immature. Who the fuck cares about FA? This is a new forum. The community last time voted for 'phoenix' something, and it should to stay like that. 

Yet again, I'm still choosing a phoenix related name because that is what we voted on last time. 

Edited by Lemon

While that could also still shorten to FAF, I still wonder if that name would make us seem bitter, petty etc

This is exactly why I'll never vote for Fauxaffinity. Are we moving forward, or do you guys just want to sit around bitching about FA all the time? If you want to look like a bunch of petty kids complaining that your old site got shut down, don't force that image on the rest of us here.

• Like 1

This is exactly why I'll never vote for Fauxaffinity. Are we moving forward, or do you guys just want to sit around bitching about FA all the time? If you want to look like a bunch of petty kids complaining that your old site got shut down, don't force that image on the rest of us here.

Yeah. Even advertising on FA can be seen as passive aggressiveness. We should probably still do it for other sites though. 

Yeah. Even advertising on FA can be seen as passive aggressiveness. We should probably still do it for other sites though. 

Ehhhh. I consider that one more of a joke and aggressive prodding.
Naming the entire forum as a reference to it, however? That's more than a 'joke'.

Edited by ChaosCalix
  • Like 2

Wanting fauxaffinity has become incredibly immature. Who the fuck cares about FA? This is a new forum. The community last time voted for 'phoenix' something, and it should to stay like that. 

Yet again, I'm still choosing a phoenix related name because that is what we voted on last time. 

I was a FAF-er for 7 years before it died. To me~ all ya'll will remain faffers, faffing about <; Thats why I like Fauxaffinity Forums as a means of preserving that acronym. Has nothing to do with feelings of resentment toward FA.

Everyone here is just spending time in ineffectual activity. Flapping in the wind.

"Faffing"

I was a FAF-er for 7 years before it died. To me~ all ya'll will remain faffers, faffing about <; Thats why I like Fauxaffinity Forums as a means of preserving that acronym. Has nothing to do with feelings of resentment toward FA.

Everyone here is just spending time in ineffectual activity. Flapping in the wind.

"Faffing"

You could get that with Fenix [A word] Forums, too.

I'm perfectly fine with us maintaining a steady course as The Phoenixed Forums. It's a subtle nod to what has happened in the past, it's recognizable, it can be construed to be furry or not furry.

Ultimately, and this is something I never predicted I would say, I agree with Greenreaper's comment on the thread about our separation on the old PCO incarnation: It isn't about our name or that we're back, it's about what we do with the forums going forward. A unique name and brand is a good thing to have, and I understand we need to choose wisely because it'll stick with us for a very long time, but we need to keep focus on developing our community and making this place everything it couldn't be under the old regime.

The Phoenixed Forum has grown on me. Personally I would love to see it keep its current name, the one created by the community and that has meaning regarding the birth and purpose of this place. 

I cringe when I see "Peeko". 

So my vote is keep it as it is :o)

• Like 1

I cringe when I see "Peeko". 

I think "Peeko" is more around an abbreviation of the forum name than naming the forum itself, similar to "FAF" (pronounced Faff) was the abbreviation around the old incarnation. That being said, I personally like Peeko as an off-hand reference to ourselves, but I'd never want it as the actual forum name/domain/anything else. Thankfully I don't think Dijon has any traction. :V

Why are you even trying to change it? The name has history and community attachment, people spent time on this. That's not what I consider a very respectful way of appreciating that effort.

No amount of special snowflake name is going to change site population. History and notoriety might do something, but surely if you keep changing the name it won't help.

Why are you even trying to change it? The name has history and community attachment, people spent time on this. That's not what I consider a very respectful way of appreciating that effort.

No amount of special snowflake name is going to change site population. History and notoriety might do something, but surely if you keep changing the name it won't help.

As far as I can tell, the name was never intended to be permanent, so it is hardly 'disrespectful'. It CAN still stay the same. Vote for it. Personally, I don't like "Phoenixed", but none of the other options are to my tastes either.. so fuck it. I'm alright with whatever doesn't sound retarded.

On the first poll, FauxAffinity got one of my votes because it got an inward chuckle out of me...but that joke's old now.

Peeko is cute, but that's starting to get old too. I think it's the equivalent of someone saying "Kupo!" all the time. Sounds nice, but after enough repetition you just want to tape their mouth shut.

Phoenix is already part of the community identity, so I think there's no point in taking that out of the name. I'd like Phoenix [word starting with A] Forums so it could still be sortened to PhAF, but maybe that's just me. Out of the choices of those, I think Phoenix Arisen>Phoenix Ashes>Phoenix Anthro. Arisen is past tense, so it implies we've moved on and grown as a separate forum from the death of FAF. Phoenix Ashes makes me think we still dwell on it because ashes are the death phase, with a phoenix yet to emerge. And Phoenix Anthro is just awkward and generic.

We had to change names quickly, without much time to choose a good name.  This is my attempt to choose a good name once and for all, "Phoenixed" or not.  We're not going to be like corporations that change names five times in two years or some absurd nonsense like that.

I just like Fauxaffinity cuz it sounds hilarious :P

In seriousness I keep changing my mind when new points are brought up. Phoenix is an a-okay name on it's own...I suppose my vote will go to Phoenix Arisen as a final product. Or Phoenix Anthro Forums.

In the end we circle back to PHAF or Peeko.

(Burd master race, tho)

I think "Peeko" is more around an abbreviation of the forum name than naming the forum itself, similar to "FAF" (pronounced Faff) was the abbreviation around the old incarnation. That being said, I personally like Peeko as an off-hand reference to ourselves, but I'd never want it as the actual forum name/domain/anything else. Thankfully I don't think Dijon has any traction. :V

I understand that, it's just something about the sound of the word that's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Hmm and I never thought of it as "faff" just F.A.F.  I suppose I'm the odd one out with that. No matter what happens in glad the community has a voice here now. This place has great potential. 

The "Phoenix Fur Forum" or "Pff" for short works for me. We don't seem to take ourselves serious here anyway, so why have some deep and serious name? Lets just get to the point.

This is a furry forum (for the most part) and this is its rebirth. So good'ol "Phoenix Furry Forum" works

Phoenix Ashes, Phoenix Wings, Phoenix Down (which I like because it has the "Phoneixed" effect but also implies a gamer population which we seem to have a lot of on here) 

Firebird is a possibly and removes us from the city in Arizona. It's also a mythological creature...but it doesn't sound as nice. It is a cool car though. 

But please keep the avian theme as birds are the master race. 

• Like 2

^ This.

Seriously though. I think naming things because they cater to furries explicitly furry is lazy at times. Also almost embarassing. You can like something without only naming things in relevance to it.