"This movie sucks, I want my money back"

Tyranno

What a stupid complaint.

If you really enjoyed a movie, would you say "I should've paid 50% more" and then bought two tickets for the same showing?

I'd love to know exactly what would happen if movie ticket prices were based on how much the audience enjoyed it.

The theater doesn't owe the customer a good movie.  The theater owes the customer one hour and forty minutes in an air conditioned a auditorium where a scheduled film is projected on the wall.  Unless they fail in that regard, no refunds are warranted.  If you're worried about movies being bad, watch the trailers, read the reviews and make the decision to spend your money on the movie or not to.

• Like 3

If I really like something I sometimes buy it more than once, actually. Whenever I have yard sales I base how much my games and movies cost on my perceived quality of the titles I'm selling.

Edited by Battlechili

The theater doesn't owe the customer a good movie.  The theater owes the customer one hour and forty minutes in an air conditioned a auditorium where a scheduled film is projected on the wall.  Unless they fail in that regard, no refunds are warranted.  If you're worried about movies being bad, watch the trailers, read the reviews and make the decision to spend your money on the movie or not to.

This is true. However, I would have thought the "I want my money back" comment was made in a nonserious manner to explain discontent with a movie and most people don't actually pursue refunds. Or at least I haven't ever heard of someone getting upset at a movie theater over a movie they chose to watch...

Their intention is misguided. They should direct their desire for a refund to whoever produces the movie, not the theater. Or they go online and write a scathing review and try to discourage as many people from seeing it as they can.

Either way, the customer is entitled to a refund if they really believe they were ripped off, but not from the theater. The theater isn't responsible for the movie being shit, the film company is.

• Like 1

My mum works as a manager at a cinema. Every now-and-then she gets people coming up to her and asking for a refund because they didn't know the film was in a foreign language with English subtitles (it's an independant cinema so it generally shows more foreign films than other cinemas), even though such information is listed on the website and in the brochure. Happens with black and white films too, and silent ones occasionally - I guess I can understand the B&W thing because that information isn't listed on the brochure/website, but silent films are listed.

She's always getting weird complaints. Like people saying the total time allocated to adverts/trailers before the film starts is getting longer and they know because they've "been a good customer here for many years", despite the fact it's been always been 17-20 minutes for the past 20 or so years. :P

Their intention is misguided. They should direct their desire for a refund to whoever produces the movie, not the theater. Or they go online and write a scathing review and try to discourage as many people from seeing it as they can.

Either way, the customer is entitled to a refund if they really believe they were ripped off, but not from the theater. The theater isn't responsible for the movie being shit, the film company is.

Though I totally got free passes when the DCP projector crashed during the credits of Big Hero 6.  Look, I wouldn't have cared but I didn't get to see the end credit scene.  I would have been happy if they'd queued up the end credit scene and let me watch it, but I got free passes to another movie instead.

Also, what the hell kind of DCP setup crashes during playback? D:

I have walked out of the movie Pulp Fiction and made my way to leave. It was after a scene where two of the central characters are in a car and one shoots a guy riding in the backseat in the face accidentally with his handgun. I just got up and stormed out. I was asked by an usher what was wrong. He could tell I was annoyed. I told him I thought the movie was terrible and it is the first time I have ever walked out before a movie was finished playing. While talking to him, the manager happened along and then asked me again what was wrong, I told him that I thought the movie was terrible and I was leaving. The manager actually gave me a voucher to come back and see another movie on another day. I thought that was pretty cool. I wouldn't have demanded money back, but I think the idea of getting a voucher for another movie, especially if you don't finish it, is a cool idea.

Edited by Skylar Husky

I got to this post, thought "yep," and that's as far as I got. ^ sums it up.

Most of the time now, I don't go to the Movie theater to watch movies. There are too many rude people in there diddling with their cellphones, wanting to talk on them, or talk too loudly with each other, it is not worth $10.50 to watch it and put up with that, or $12.50 (for the oh so cheesy 3-D). For a few dollars more, I can just own the movie and watch it in the comfort of my home, with the pillows propping my back up, drinking my favorite beer, Popping my own popcorn and eating candy all for a great deal less money than all that crap would cost at the theater now.

I don't watch trailers because i don't go out to watch movies and I often mute or skip the advertisements on TV because I have digital recording. and fast forward those fillers on DVD's/Blu-Ray discs. Most of the time I have to use word of mouth to get information about whether a movie is good.,

There you have; those damned cellphones have ruined movie theaters in the United States, or at least my corner of it.

People do say "Oh man I wish I could pay four times more for this movie!". It happened recently in fact when I saw Black Mass and decided I am going to buy the DVD. A $5 ticket spurs a $20 sale.

But this thread is referring to the very special people that complain to the theater. But really what can you expect, these people aren't capable of thinking about where the movie comes from.